|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lord Cuthbert Collingwood?
(a) The Duke of Bollingbroke.
(b) A hero of Trafalgar.
(c) Admiral St. Vincent's best friend.
(d) Maria Hornblower's benefactor.
2. Where does Hornblower gain his first view of Atropos?
(a) At Piccadilly.
(b) At Wereworth.
(c) At Brendford.
(d) At Deptford.
3. What does Hornblower realize when he comes aboard the London brig?
(a) That the rigging is tangled.
(b) That there is no one on board.
(c) That the English crew is tied up.
(d) That a French prize crew is on board.
4. Why does Admiral St. Vincent apologize?
(a) For Hornblower's confusion.
(b) He does not apologize.
(c) For the Prince's arrogance.
(d) For leaving Hornblower to the "wolves."
5. What floats by the Atropos?
(a) An oar.
(b) An empty life boat.
(c) A body.
(d) A keg.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Atropos forced to swing at anchor?
2. What does Hornblower do on the lengthy voyage to Gibraltar?
3. Who is William McCullum?
4. What is the name of the Tunnel through which the boat goes?
5. What sort of manner does McCullum maintain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hornblower's encounter with the Prince of Seitz-Bunau.
2. To where and how are Hornblower and his family traveling?
3. How does Hornblower get the Atropos ready for departure?
4. What do the Hornblowers board after the canal board and where does that take them?
5. How does Hornblower end this chapter as the consummate family man?
6. How does Hornblower help the captain of the boat?
7. Who and what does Hornblower take on board at Gibraltar?
8. Describe how the boat progresses.
9. Why is the Atropos anchored and what does Hornblower do with the time?
10. How is Hornblower feeling and why is it a blessing in disguise?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)