|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom is Hornblower invited to dine?
(a) The Governor.
(b) The chief of the predominant native tribe.
(c) The Captain of a Dutch merchant vessel.
(d) The Admiral of the Maltese fleet.
2. Who comes aboard the Atropos?
(a) The local Mudir.
(b) An English resident in the area.
(c) A Turkish diver of great repute.
(d) No one.
3. What is the gunner's name?
4. What does Hornblower negotiate?
(a) Jurisdiction over the area where the Speedwell sank.
(b) Fees for recovery of the Speedwell's cargo.
(c) Assistance from the Turks.
(d) Fees for watering and purchasing food.
5. How much does Hornblower believe has been recovered?
(a) About 2,000 pounds.
(b) About 200,000 pounds.
(c) About 20,000 pounds.
(d) About 2,000,000 pounds.
6. What does Eisenbeiss say is required if McCullum is to live?
(a) McCullum has to want to live.
(b) Drastic action.
(c) A rare herb.
(d) Eisenbeiss is not sure how to save McCullum.
7. Who demands to go with the Prince?
(a) The Prince's three bodyguards.
(c) John Jones.
8. What is one Turkish ship like that Hornblower notices?
(a) It is obsolete but still much more heavily armed than Atropos.
(b) It is smaller than Atropos but carries far more carronades.
(c) It is signaling to someone else.
(d) It is flying French colours.
9. Where does Atropos anchor?
(a) Just outside of the bay.
(b) The Atropos is docked rather than anchored.
(c) On the other side of the bay.
(d) As close to the sinking of the Speedwell as Turner can remember.
10. What else does Hornblower notice as he is scanning the area?
(a) The bay entrance is patrolled by five Turkish vessels.
(b) The island fortress is also occupied.
(c) Nothing else out of the ordinary.
(d) The Mudir is standing on shore with about 300 troops.
11. Under whose care is McCullum placed?
(a) A missionary doctor.
(c) The Admiral's personal physician.
(d) The doctor ashore.
12. How does Hornblower light the fuse?
(a) By dropping a live coal in the barrel.
(b) Through a long pipe.
(c) Through a hole in the barrel.
(d) By striking flint against the core.
13. Where is McCullum?
(a) In a small boat headed to the mainland.
(b) In a hospital on the mainland.
(c) On the ship.
14. Who comes to the Atropos?
(a) The Mudir.
(b) The fortress's commandant.
(c) No one.
(d) The Turkish captain.
15. Where are McCullum's chances of survival best?
(a) On the ship.
(b) His wound is minor.
(d) Either ashore or on the ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of fuse does the crew construct on the next attempt at demolition?
2. Around what is the fuse wrapped?
3. How does Hornblower respond to news of the duel?
4. How does Hornblower gain information from McCullum?
5. How is the silver in the Speedwell stored?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)