|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much fuse do they need for the explosives?
(a) Many yards.
(b) About ten feet.
(c) They don't use a fuse-type explosive.
(d) Very short so it cannot be put out.
2. What does Hornblower assume about the Mudir's request?
(a) That it is for the townspeople's peace of mind.
(b) That he is a good chief and concerned for his people.
(c) He takes the Mudir at face value.
(d) That he is being deceitful.
3. With whom is Hornblower invited to dine?
(a) The Governor.
(b) The Admiral of the Maltese fleet.
(c) The Captain of a Dutch merchant vessel.
(d) The chief of the predominant native tribe.
4. What does Hornblower notice about the nearby fortress one morning?
(a) They are reinforcing the walls.
(b) It is under attack.
(c) It is burning.
(d) It is no longer deserted.
5. What surprises Hornblower?
(a) The French man-o-war Lafayette is attacking the Castilla.
(b) The Castilla chases the Atropos.
(c) There are two English frigates surrounding the Castilla.
(d) The Castilla is listing badly in the water.
6. What does McCullum determine has to be done to recover the last container of gold?
(a) Someone has to be able to dig under the hull in the sand.
(b) A larger hold must be worked in the larazette.
(c) The entire ship has to be demolished.
(d) The last container of gold is not recoverable.
7. How much does Hornblower believe has been recovered?
(a) About 20,000 pounds.
(b) About 200,000 pounds.
(c) About 2,000 pounds.
(d) About 2,000,000 pounds.
8. What is removed from McCullum's wound?
(a) Just a piece of the ball.
(c) A ball and clothing fragments.
(d) Just a tiny bit of clothing fragment.
9. What is the greatest danger from the wound?
(a) Internal bleeding.
(b) The lungs filling with fluid.
(c) Continuing to open it up with movement.
10. Where is McCullum?
(b) In a small boat headed to the mainland.
(c) On the ship.
(d) In a hospital on the mainland.
11. What does the Mudir offer for the Atropos's continued presence?
(a) Their friendship.
(b) A couple carpenters to make a new mizzenmast.
(c) Some men to help the Atropos.
(d) Free supplies.
12. In what kind of shape are the ships after the fighting?
(a) None of the ships is damaged much at all.
(b) The English ship that Atropos meets is slowly sinking and Atropos and Castilla have little damage.
(c) All three are heavily damaged.
(d) The two English ships sustain light damage and the Castilla is listing even worse than before.
13. What is done with the barrel?
(a) Divers drop it close to the ship.
(b) Divers pull it on a long rope into the ship's core.
(c) Divers place it under the ship.
(d) Divers let it float above the ship.
14. What English ship does the Atropos finally encounter?
(a) HMS Shannon.
(b) HMS Essex.
(c) HMS Leopard.
(d) HMS Nightingale.
15. Why do they want to go in through the lazarette?
(a) It is the only part of the hull not under the sand.
(b) It is the weakest wall of the ship.
(c) It is where the gold and silver was stored.
(d) It is faced away from the land so the natives cannot see what is going on.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who fights a duel?
2. How does Hornblower keep Atropos in relation to the Turkish ship?
3. What does Eisenbeiss want to do for McCullum?
4. Why is Hornblower not concerned about the Castilla?
5. How does Hornblower gain information from McCullum?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)