|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens as the barge approaches its destination?
(a) It becalms itself.
(b) It sinks.
(c) It rams the dock.
(d) It becomes less maneuverable.
2. Why isn't Hornblower fretting overly much about meeting the King?
(a) Because he knows he looks and feels his best.
(b) Because St. Vincent says he may not even meet the king personally.
(c) Because he has new orders.
(d) Because he has a cold.
3. About what is the oarsman deprecatory?
(a) London Bridge.
(b) The Crossroads guard.
(c) The London tower.
(d) Old Ben.
4. What does Hornblower convince a businessman to do?
(a) Exchange the casks of meat for some that is not spoiled.
(c) Offer three extra kegs of whiskey.
(d) Finance extra provisions.
5. What does Hornblower find when he returns to his hotel room?
(a) His wife has returned to their home.
(b) His wife is dead.
(c) His wife has had a baby girl.
(d) His wife is alive but the baby is dead.
6. What sort of manner does McCullum maintain?
(a) Brusque and condescending.
7. What does Hornblower do at the end of the day of loading Atropos?
(a) Goes home to say goodbye to Maria and his family.
(b) Goes to retrieve the Prince from his quarters.
(c) Goes to a tavern with several officers.
8. How is the vessel upon which the Hornblower family rides propelled?
9. What happens to the horse driver?
(a) He passes out.
(b) He runs off.
(c) He is shot.
(d) He is trampled by a horse.
10. Where does Hornblower gain his first view of Atropos?
(a) At Deptford.
(b) At Brendford.
(c) At Piccadilly.
(d) At Wereworth.
11. What did Hornblower do as personal penance when he left England?
(a) He lodges an official complaint.
(b) He spends an extra day with Maria.
(c) He does not say goodbye to Maria.
(d) He spends some of his own money on supplies.
12. What does the man at the tiller give up on doing?
(a) Keeping the boat completely in line.
(b) Telling his crew to row harder.
(c) Telling the captain about the weakened pinion rudder.
(d) Trying to engage Hornblower in conversation.
13. From where has the Prince fled?
(a) A Dutch prison.
(b) A Spanish prison.
(c) Napoleon's conquest of Europe.
(d) The Bastille.
14. Where does the Hornblower family board the vessel?
15. Even if Napoleon rules the earth at the moment, what consoles Hornblower?
(a) Nothing lasts forever.
(b) The seas are up for grabs.
(c) Napoleon doesn't rule his wife, just like every other man.
(d) England rules the seas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what does payment to Tom Jenkins depend?
2. What is discovered about many of the casks of meat on board the Atropos?
3. Who is driving horses?
4. What does Hornblower arrange to be brought on board?
5. With what does the Prince arrive on the Atropos?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)