|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does St. Vincent refer to Hornblower?
(a) As the best sea captain in the Navy.
(b) As a new father.
(c) As his protégé.
(d) As a technical sailor.
2. Why does the boat carry a long scythe blade at her prow?
(a) To cut through the thick weeds that grow in the water.
(b) To cut the tow lines in an emergency.
(c) In case the boat is attacked.
(d) Because her captain is authorized to cut any boat that fails to yield.
3. What is the route of the Hornblower family's vessel?
(a) From Birmingham to London.
(b) From Surrey to London.
(c) From Dover to London.
(d) From Gloucester to London.
4. What does the man at the tiller give up on doing?
(a) Trying to engage Hornblower in conversation.
(b) Telling the captain about the weakened pinion rudder.
(c) Telling his crew to row harder.
(d) Keeping the boat completely in line.
5. How is the boat guided?
(a) By a man at the tiller.
(b) By the paddlewheel.
(c) By the way the sails are set.
(d) With a rack and pinion.
6. Who is the one officer Hornblower remembers clearly?
(a) John Jones.
(b) Tom Leighton.
(c) Tom Pullings.
(d) Jacob Miller.
7. Which canal(s) does the boat go down?
(a) Just the Cotswald.
(b) Thames and Severn.
(c) Just the Thames.
(d) The Severn and Cotswald.
8. Why isn't Hornblower fretting overly much about meeting the King?
(a) Because he knows he looks and feels his best.
(b) Because he has a cold.
(c) Because St. Vincent says he may not even meet the king personally.
(d) Because he has new orders.
9. How is the vessel upon which the Hornblower family rides propelled?
10. Whose funeral procession is Hornblower charged with planning?
(a) Lord Nelson.
(b) Admiral Fulton.
(c) Lord Barton.
(d) Admiral Leighton.
11. What does Hornblower do at Oxford?
(a) Disembarks to finish the journey on horse.
(b) Files a complaint with the ship's owner.
(c) Goes back to his cabin.
(d) Leaves his wife and child in the care of a physician.
12. Why is Atropos forced to swing at anchor?
(a) To take another person on board.
(c) Thick fog.
(d) A French man-o-war.
13. What is parallel to the canal?
(a) A paved road.
(b) A line of trees right along the bank.
(c) A footpath.
(d) A bridge.
14. What is Lieutenant Jones' full name?
(a) John Jones the Ninth.
(b) Jacob Jones the Eighth.
(c) John James Jones the Second.
(d) Joseph Jones the First.
15. Where will the procession end?
(a) Westminister Cathedral.
(b) St. Thomas Cathedral.
(c) Whitehall Steps.
(d) Buckminister Abby.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Hornblower family board the vessel?
2. What is Hornblower ordered when he finds Collingwood's fleet?
3. What sort of affect does Hornblower maintain?
4. What does Hornblower say will happen to the doctor if Eisenbeiss contravenes the mutiny acts?
5. What does Hornblower volunteer to do?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)