|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the King announce that confuses Hornblower?
(a) That Atropos is to be commanded by someone else.
(c) The flawless funeral procession.
(d) A reference about Hornblower's command and His Serene Highness.
2. What is the name of the Tunnel through which the boat goes?
3. What do other ships in the area do?
(a) Proceed to open seas.
(b) Drop anchor also.
(c) Move towards the coastline.
(d) Go back into the harbour.
4. From where does Hornblower hang his pocket watch?
(a) His fob.
(b) The bridle of the lead horse.
(c) The coffin.
(d) His neck.
5. Where is Hornblower to proceed?
(d) Port Jackson.
6. What is the Speedwell?
(a) A ship that needs to be salvaged.
(b) A French privateer.
(c) The flagship of the fleet.
(d) An American privateer.
7. Which canal(s) does the boat go down?
(a) Just the Cotswald.
(b) The Severn and Cotswald.
(c) Just the Thames.
(d) Thames and Severn.
8. Who is His Serene Highness?
(a) The Prince of Wales.
(b) The Prince of Austria-Hungary.
(c) The Prince of the Ottoman Empire.
(d) The Prince of Seitz-Bunau.
9. Where does the Hornblower family board the vessel?
10. Why is Atropos forced to swing at anchor?
(a) Thick fog.
(b) To take another person on board.
(c) A French man-o-war.
11. What does Hornblower find when he returns to his hotel room?
(a) His wife is alive but the baby is dead.
(b) His wife has had a baby girl.
(c) His wife is dead.
(d) His wife has returned to their home.
12. To whom does Hornblower whisper an explanation?
(a) No one as that would only compound the embarrassment.
(b) Admiral Lord St. Vincent.
(c) Lady Nelson.
(d) The Earl of Westmoreland.
13. What sort of affect does Hornblower maintain?
(b) Icy and reserved.
14. What does Hornblower hear in the distance?
(a) A scream.
(b) A fog horn.
(c) A shot.
(d) A crash.
15. What is the horse driver doing?
(a) Dozing on top of one of the horses.
(b) Drinking gin continually.
(c) Cruelly whipping the horses.
(d) Singing in a loud voice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hornblower do as personal penance when he left England?
2. What does Hornblower do as soon as Maria is safely situated in their hotel?
3. Where will the procession end?
4. What does Hornblower convince a businessman to do?
5. What month and year is it that the Atropos sails to Gibraltar?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)