|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the route of the Hornblower family's vessel?
(a) From Gloucester to London.
(b) From Birmingham to London.
(c) From Surrey to London.
(d) From Dover to London.
2. What is Hornblower ordered when he finds Collingwood's fleet?
(a) To take station in the fleet.
(c) To leave McCullum on the flag ship.
(d) To sail on to Purang Batang.
3. How is the boat guided?
(a) By the way the sails are set.
(b) With a rack and pinion.
(c) By a man at the tiller.
(d) By the paddlewheel.
4. Where are Hornblower and St. Vincent going?
(a) Buckingham Palace.
(b) St. James.
(d) London Square.
5. What did Hornblower do as personal penance when he left England?
(a) He does not say goodbye to Maria.
(b) He lodges an official complaint.
(c) He spends some of his own money on supplies.
(d) He spends an extra day with Maria.
6. Who is His Serene Highness?
(a) The Prince of Wales.
(b) The Prince of Austria-Hungary.
(c) The Prince of the Ottoman Empire.
(d) The Prince of Seitz-Bunau.
7. Who is George Turner?
(a) Speedwell's master.
(b) The dive master.
(c) Admiral Collingwood's aide de camp.
(d) The Atropos's cook.
8. What sort of manner does McCullum maintain?
(d) Brusque and condescending.
9. Which canal(s) does the boat go down?
(a) Thames and Severn.
(b) The Severn and Cotswald.
(c) Just the Cotswald.
(d) Just the Thames.
10. Who is driving horses?
11. What does Hornblower ask the King?
(a) What he is referring to.
(b) If he could have command of the HMS Shannon.
(c) If the King would like an inspection of the Atropos.
12. What is procured at Oxford?
(a) A room at a plush inn.
(b) An arrest warrant for the drunk teamster.
(c) A fresh crew.
13. Where does Hornblower gain his first view of Atropos?
(a) At Wereworth.
(b) At Brendford.
(c) At Piccadilly.
(d) At Deptford.
14. To whom does Hornblower whisper an explanation?
(a) Lady Nelson.
(b) The Earl of Westmoreland.
(c) No one as that would only compound the embarrassment.
(d) Admiral Lord St. Vincent.
15. About what does Maria fret?
(a) Hornblower's indecorous behavior.
(b) Her sister's upcoming marriage.
(c) The sun is going to ruin her complexion.
(d) Their son is crying.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does the Prince arrive on the Atropos?
2. What does Hornblower do at Oxford?
3. From where has the Prince fled?
4. Who is Lord Cuthbert Collingwood?
5. What does the Prince want to do?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)