Chapters 1 and 2
• Hornblower, Maria and their infant son, Horatio, take passage on Queen Charlotte, a towed canal boat.
• Hornblower is fascinated with the boat and spends a great deal of time examining its construction and the way it is handled.
• The man handling the horses becomes drunk and passes out and Hornblower volunteers his help.
• Hornblower steers the boat while the captain drives the horses.
• The boat moves through various locks and then a tunnel and on to Oxford.
• At Oxford, a fresh crew takes over and Hornblower returns to his cabin where they eat a miserable dinner.
• The sea voyage of about one-hundred miles has taken less than a day, and Hornblower believes it to be a miraculous passage.
Chapters 3, 4, and 5
• The Hornblowers take a wherry to London with Maria agog at the sights of London.
• The Hornblowers disembark to travel to their hotel where Hornblower leaves...
This section contains 1,417 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)