|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Horacio leave Berthe Trepat as he walks her home in Chapter 23?
2. Approximately how old is Horacio Oliveira?
3. Which of the following characters stays with Maga at the end of Chapter 28?
4. What specific reason does Horacio have in Chapter 19 for believing Maga and Ossip are having an affair?
5. In Chapter 17, what does Ossip tell Maga is Horacio's problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What awful event does Maga describe in Chapter 15?
2. Why does Horacio choose not to help Etienne in Chapter 90?
3. How does Maga and Horacio's sex life become eerily unhealthy in Chapter 5?
4. What is Horacio's goal for living in Paris?
5. What conversation regarding their relationship do Maga and Horacio have in Chapter 20?
6. Describe Ossip Gregorovius.
7. How is the reader introduced to Manolo Traveler in Chapter 143?
8. Why are Maga and Horacio so affected by the fish in Chapter 8?
9. How does Horacio's state of mind change over the course of this section?
10. How is the reader made aware of Rocamadour's death in Chapter 28?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel of HOPSCOTCH is in many respects a hodgepodge or a mixed media piece. Write an essay exploring the different types of writing that coalesce to tell the narrative. How many different points-of-view are used to tell the story? How many languages? What is the purpose of the constant quotes, lyrics, and newspaper articles? Give several examples of unorthodox structures used to write individual chapters. How do all these different aspects combine to tell a unified story?
Essay Topic 2
The novel of HOPSCOTCH is largely a novel about ideas and flights of bohemian fancy, but existent above and below the would-be sweet life of the narrative is the omnipresent specter of death. Write an essay about death in the novel, focusing on three instances of it. How do the characters struggle and strive to ignore mortality in the novel? How does every instance of it in the narrative seem to shatter some delicate balance? What is destroyed by it?
Part 1) Rocamadour
Part 2) Pola
Part 3) The end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What is the millenary kingdom? Write an essay about this prelapsarian concept, where it comes from, and how it connects thematically with the events of the novel. What does the millenary kingdom mean to both Morelli and Horacio? Why do Etienne and Ronald think that La Maga had some innate connection to it? How is the entire Serpent Club, to some extent, existing in its own millenary kingdom until Rocamadour dies? How does this death force them all to face harsh realities? Conclude the essay by discussing whether the millenary kingdom is seen as a positive or negative thing.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)