|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What political movement is Etienne working with in Chapter 90?
2. In Chapter 141, the Club offers what complaint about Morelli as a theorist?
3. Between which two disciplines do Etienne and Horacio argue regarding conveyance of truth in Chapter 9?
4. In Chapter 84, which character does Horacio mention is gravely ill?
5. In Chapter 2, where does Rocamadour live before coming to live with Horacio and Maga?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wong's torture photos affect Horatio's mood for the worse?
2. Describe Ossip Gregorovius.
3. What event is taking place in this section?
4. In Chapter 115, what surrogate experience does Morelli describe?
5. In Chapter 26, what reason does Ossip offer for Horacio's leaving?
6. What news do Babs and Ronald bring to Maga's apartment in Chapter 28?
7. How do Maga and Horacio view the meaning of their precarious dates differently in Chapter 6?
8. Why does Ossip apologize to Maga in Chapter 24?
9. How are La Maga and Horacio different?
10. Why does Horacio become resentful of La Maga in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the character of Rocamadour, La Maga's child. Begin by discussing his origins and his life after Maga comes to Europe. To what extent does Maga attempt to rid herself of the burden of raising him? What eventually brings him back to her? After analyzing Rocamadour's progress as a character, discuss his importance to the author. Does he function more as a character or a tool for driving story? How does his death affect everything that follows? Is the child mentioned after Horacio leaves Paris?
Essay Topic 2
What is the millenary kingdom? Write an essay about this prelapsarian concept, where it comes from, and how it connects thematically with the events of the novel. What does the millenary kingdom mean to both Morelli and Horacio? Why do Etienne and Ronald think that La Maga had some innate connection to it? How is the entire Serpent Club, to some extent, existing in its own millenary kingdom until Rocamadour dies? How does this death force them all to face harsh realities? Conclude the essay by discussing whether the millenary kingdom is seen as a positive or negative thing.
Essay Topic 3
The fictional guru of Cortazar's Hopscotch is the iconoclast writer Morelli. Morelli at once represents a lofty literary ideal and stands in for Cortazar himself. Write an essay about the character of Morelli, focusing on three parts:
Part 1) Most of Morelli's texts have to do with destroying old literary conventions rather than creating new ones. What conventions does he most pointedly insist be destroyed? Why does he dislike them so intently? How does he think they mar literature?
Part 2) Morelli speaks often in the novel about literature being a surrogate experience. What does this mean? How does Morelli want the reader to relate to the novel? What particularly provocative ideas does Morelli have for achieving this?
Part 3) How is Morelli a fictional stand-in for Julio Cortazar? How are Cortazar's ideas similar to Morelli's? To what extent is Morelli, when the reader meets him in the expendable chapters, writing the novel HOPSCOTCH?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)