|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Hope give G.T. about working in the kitchen with Addie?
2. How did Hope spend her summer in Mulhoney?
3. By how many votes does G.T. lose the election?
4. What does G.T. do to symbolize his new father-daughter relationship with Hope?
5. Why doesn't G.T. trust Sheriff Greebs to handle the investigation of Braverman's assault?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hope feel about Addie and G.T. getting married?
2. What would Hope rather be doing instead of going to school when school resumes?
3. Why is G.T. grateful for Beal's actions at the restaurant where Hope and Addie used to work?
4. What do the Carbingers tell Babcock about the burglaries that happened over the summer?
5. How does Babcock get the Carbingers released from jail?
6. How does Hope respond to the reporter's question about how she would feel if G.T. died?
7. How do Addie and G.T. disagree about Addie's cooking at the diner?
8. What kinds of things does Hope show G.T. from her "Dad's" scrapbooks?
9. What happens after G.T. gives his scolding message to Mayor Millstone in the Mulhoney Messenger?
10. What happens after Babcock discovers that only supporters of G.T. are burglary victims?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a well-reasoned argument discussing whether or not Hope is a good role model for young, female readers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least 5 reasons why the story of "Hope Was Here" could OR could not work in real life. Make sure to use examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least 3 literary techniques Bauer uses to make one character of your choosing from "Hope Was Here" very likable OR very unlikable to the reader.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)