|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hope often have fantasy conversations with?
2. Who is Sid related to?
3. What does Hope do for Lou Ellen when she first has a minor breakdown about her daughter?
4. Who is Hope paired with when she first goes out to gather signatures for G.T.'s mayoral campaign?
5. Where does G.T. announce that he wants to run for mayor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why and when does Hope start boxing?
2. Why does Mayor Millstone want a picture with G.T.?
3. How does Braverman react when one of Millstone's supporters parks a hearse out in front of the diner?
4. What does Deena tell Hope about her father?
5. Why does Deena name Hope "Tulip"?
6. Why does Addie's husband leave?
7. What happens between Deputy Babcock and the Carbinger brothers after Babcock finds them assaulting Hope?
8. What is in Hope's Dad's Scrapbook?
9. Why does Sheriff Greebs make some people leave G.T.'s diner in Chapter 5?
10. What happens when a woman ask Mayor Millstone to release the name of his campaign contributors when he stops by the diner to have his picture taken with G.T.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Hope with her birth mother. What are their similarities? What are their differences? Make sure to use specific evidence in the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze one of the female characters from "Hope Was Here" and discuss how she goes against traditional stereotypes of women in the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least 5 reasons why the story of "Hope Was Here" could OR could not work in real life. Make sure to use examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)