|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who took all the money from the diner Hope and Addie worked at before they moved to Mulhoney?
2. Who is allowed to sign the petition to get G.T. on the ballot?
3. How many signatures does the board disqualify from G.T.'s initial petition?
4. What does G.T. offer the driver of the hearse?
5. Which of the following states have Hope and Addie NOT worked in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hope change her name?
2. What does G.T. promise the crowd in Chapter 4 that he will do as mayor?
3. Why does Deena give Hope to Addie?
4. How do Addie and Flo first interact when they meet each other?
5. Why does Deena name Hope "Tulip"?
6. How does Adam think Sid can help G.T.'s election campaign?
7. What does G.T. tell the crowd in Chapter 4 about why he is running for mayor?
8. Why does Hope have a hard time letting go of what happened in New York?
9. What is in Hope's Dad's Scrapbook?
10. How does Hope come about helping on G.T.'s campaign?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least 4 aspects of "Hope Was Here" that can easily be carried over into a second novel that describes what happens to Hope after she leaves for college.
Essay Topic 2
What does the information the reader learns about Hope's relationship with Braverman contribute to her character? Provide at least 3 specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Present a well-reasoned paper arguing whether the reader is supposed to find Hope a likable (intelligent, caring) character OR an unlikable (broody, needy, stuck in the past) character. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)