|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Hope run away from Addie in Atlanta?
2. In what state are the men who tease and taunt Hope as she is trying to gather additional signatures for G.T.'s ballot?
3. What does G.T. offer the driver of the hearse?
4. In Chapter 3, what does Flo tell a group of men she'll need before she puts up one of their posters?
5. Who is the owner of the diner in Mulhoney where Hope and Addie are going to work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pastor Hall get the Election Board official to change her mind about G.T. not having enough signatures on his petition?
2. Why does Mayor Millstone want a picture with G.T.?
3. How does Millstone leave the diner after going there to have his picture taken with G.T.?
4. Why does Deena give Hope to Addie?
5. How does Braverman defend G.T. to voters who are unsure about his candidacy in Chapter 6?
6. Why does Hope change her name?
7. What happens when a woman ask Mayor Millstone to release the name of his campaign contributors when he stops by the diner to have his picture taken with G.T.?
8. What does Deena tell Hope about her father?
9. Why are many people in town concerned about signing G.T.'s petition to run for mayor?
10. How do the diner patrons react when they see how G.T. handles the hearse outside of the diner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify what you think is the tone for "Hope Was Here" and discuss 3 literary devices that Bauer uses to create this tone.
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least 3 things that Bauer is able to do with the character of Hope because she is a girl AND at least 3 things she is *not* able to do with her because she is a girl.
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-reasoned argument discussing whether or not Hope is a good role model for young, female readers.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)