|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What race is Flo?
2. What happened to Braverman's last girlfriend?
3. How many people live in Mulhoney?
4. How does Hope's first day go in the Mulhoney diner?
5. Who are the men who harass Hope as she is trying to gather additional signatures for G.T.'s petition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the "Welcome Stairways" diner get its name?
2. What rumors swirl around town about the connection between Mayor Millstone and the dairy?
3. What attitude does G.T. take about the hearse parked in front of his diner?
4. How do the diner patrons react when they see how G.T. handles the hearse outside of the diner?
5. What happens when a woman ask Mayor Millstone to release the name of his campaign contributors when he stops by the diner to have his picture taken with G.T.?
6. What does G.T. promise the crowd in Chapter 4 that he will do as mayor?
7. Why does Hope have a hard time letting go of what happened in New York?
8. How does Hope come about helping on G.T.'s campaign?
9. How does Braverman defend G.T. to voters who are unsure about his candidacy in Chapter 6?
10. How does Braverman react when one of Millstone's supporters parks a hearse out in front of the diner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least 3 literary techniques Bauer uses to make one character of your choosing from "Hope Was Here" very likable OR very unlikable to the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least 4 features of Mayor Millstone and how those features fulfill the traditional, literary requirements of a villain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Bauer portrays authority figures in "Hope Was Here," making sure to use at least 3 specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)