|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hope recruit to help serve in the diner when there is an onslaught of customers?
2. What does G.T. tell Hope about changing schools?
(a) That he hated it when he was young, too.
(b) That she should stop complaining about it.
(c) That Addie needs to be a better mom and stop doing it to Hope.
(d) That it's good because you learn a lot of things.
3. How does Hope's first day go in the Mulhoney diner?
4. How many signatures does G.T. need to get on the ballot for mayor?
5. How many men approach Hope as she is trying to gather additional signatures for G.T.'s ballot?
6. What does G.T. say to a diner who asks G.T., shortly after he announces that he's running for mayor, if the campaign would be too hard on him?
(a) That he's focused more on living than on dying.
(b) That he thinks it might be true but he has to try.
(c) That his doctor said it would be okay as long as he takes naps.
(d) That he doesn't really care.
7. Why did Hope eventually return to Addie after running away in Atlanta?
(a) She didn't; this is a trick question.
(b) She missed her.
(c) She had to go back or else go to a foster home.
(d) She wanted to get revenge.
8. Who tells Sid that G.T. is not the type to play dirty in a campaign?
(d) Slick Bixby.
9. Where does G.T. first start collecting signatures for mayor?
(a) Outside his church.
(b) In the city square.
(c) Outside city hall.
(d) In his diner.
10. What convinces the Election Board official to give G.T. some extra time to get correct signatures on his petition?
(a) The fact that everyone starts crying.
(b) A threat.
(c) A bribe.
(d) An appeal to the woman's faith.
11. What advice does Sid give everyone as they rush out to get new signatures for G.T.'s petition?
(a) To stay away from downtown.
(b) To be back strictly within an hour.
(c) To do whatever it takes to get it done.
(d) To get more signatures than they actually need.
12. Who do the group of men make fun of in the diner in Chapter 3?
13. What race is Flo?
14. What compliment does G.T. give Hope when she first starts that makes her smile?
(a) He tells her the customers all think she is very pretty.
(b) He tells her she is a good waitress.
(c) He tells her he thinks she is very pretty.
(d) He tells her she is smart enough to run the entire diner herself.
15. Who is Hope's father?
(a) Her mother's boss.
(b) She doesn't know.
(c) She knows his face but not his name.
(d) A businessman back in New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hope go to get additional signatures for G.T.'s petition?
2. What role does Addie usually play in restaurants?
3. Who announces to the diner that G.T. will in fact be on the ballot?
4. What kind of tree did G.T. plan when his wife died?
5. Who is allowed to sign the petition to get G.T. on the ballot?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)