|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are the owls’ eyes?
2. The construction survey stakes were dug up again in Chapter Four – how many times has this happened now?
3. What was Curly afraid of in Chapter Eleven?
4. What did Roy have to write as part of his punishment for fighting?
5. Why did Dana stop hitting Roy on the bus in Chapter Eight?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are animals used as symbolism in Chapter Eight?
2. How does Beatrice explain who the barefoot boy is and why he is in hiding?
3. What did Officer Delinko find inside the portable toilets on the flatbed truck?
4. How did Roy and Officer Delinko meet?
5. What is revealed about Beatrice’s home life in Chapter Ten, and how might this change the readers’ perception of her?
6. Why is Curly’s name ironic?
7. How did Curly’s night at the trailer go?
8. What did Roy see outside of the bus window in Chapter One that caught his interest?
9. Who is Chuck Muckle and what did he order Curly to do?
10. What is the relationship between Roy and Dana Matherson, as revealed in the bus ride in Chapter One?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Every novel has a genre, a way of categorizing it in literature. What genre is Hoot? What evidence from the book supports your choice of genre?
Essay Topic 2
Nature is a motif throughout Hoot. What role does nature play in the story? Which characters have a relationship with nature, and what is that relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Dana and Beatrice are both have a public persona of being bullies. Are they bullies in all aspects of their lives? What are their home lives like? What do they have in common? How are they different?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)