|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Roy promise Beatrice?
2. Who did Roy start to wave down in Chapter Eleven, but Beatrice stopped him?
3. What did Roy try to bring the barefoot boy in Chapter Six?
4. What item did Beatrice tell Roy’s mother they need?
5. What was Dana Matherson doing to Roy on the Bus in Chapter One?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Kimberly Lou Dixon?
2. Why is Curly’s name ironic?
3. How did Officer Delinko plan to abide by his punishment at work, but still scope out the construction site?
4. Describe the scene Officer Delinko saw when he was scouting out the construction site at 5 a.m. in Chapter Four.
5. What situation does the author include at the end of Chapter Seven for humor?
6. What is the relationship between Roy and Dana Matherson, as revealed in the bus ride in Chapter One?
7. How does Beatrice interact with Roy’s mother the first time they meet? What does this tell readers about Beatrice?
8. What did the girl who sought out Roy at the end of Chapter Two want?
9. What two favors does Officer Delinko ask of Roy while during their drive to Roy’s house, and how does Roy feel about them?
10. How did Roy and Officer Delinko meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author includes multiple pop culture references that date the book in current times. What cultural and pop culture references can you note from the book? What year or decade would you guess this story is set in, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Roy and Beatrice’s relationship evolves throughout the book. How does their relationship begin, and what does it become? What reasons caused the evolution to occur?
Essay Topic 3
Parent-child relationships are a theme that runs throughout Hoot. What are at least three different parent-child relationships in the novel, and how do they compare to one another? What do they have in common and how do they differ?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)