|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Father Laurence?
2. What is the reason that Duncan gives Madelyne for failing to take his nightly swim?
3. What event makes Madelyne laugh, but terrifies everyone else?
4. At the end of Chapter 20, what does Madelyne see as she looks out the window?
5. Madelyne is surprised that one of the Wextons is happy that she marries into the family? Which Wexton is happy?
Short Essay Questions
1. After dinner and Madelyne's singing, what alliances do Duncan and Edmond discuss with regard to Louddon?
2. Edmond makes a complete change in his attitude toward Madeline, welcoming her to the Wexton family. Why?
3. In Chapter 22, Duncan gives Madelyn a recitation of many things that Madelyne does since he proves she is courageous. What are three of the four reasons that Duncan provides to Madelyne to prove to her that she is courageous?
4. Why does Madelyne make a sudden decision to marry Duncan?
5. Madelyne prepares for Gerald's visit by performing what preparations to her appearance and dress?
6. Why does Louddon believe that Madelyne does as he commands while she is under his control in London?
7. Why does Duncan speak to Edmond about the Falcon holding?
8. Describe the aspects of family life that Duncan realizes is different than he is taught by his father.
9. Why does Duncan not like the changes that Madelyne makes to the hall?
10. In Chapter 22, why does Madelyne want to delay her marriage to Duncan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Madelyne is filled with insults for her from Adela at dinner until she infuriates Madelyne, who takes control to end the situation. She forces Adela to clean up her act and in the process, Adela confides in Madelyne the truth of how she is raped. Why does Madelyne tell Adela that she must talk about the rape? Does Adela's confession help Madelyne heal from Louddon's abuse as well, or is she unaffected by Adela's story and her similar abusive experiences with Louddon? Compare and contrast the treatment of both Adela and Madelyne at the hands of Louddon. Provide examples from the book to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Madelylne begins by dreaming of Odysseus and then sings about his adventures, teaching the Wextons and Gerald of his story. From whom and under what circumstances does Madlyne learn about Odysseus and Ployphemus? Who are these mythological characters and how do they allude to characters in Honor's Splendour? Who reminds Madelyne of Odysseus and why? Who reminds Madelyne of Polyphemus and why? Does Madelyne find that in the end, she is living the dream of Odysseus? Provide examples from the book to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Lady Eleanor, the woman who Duncan once considers as a marriage partner, is mentioned several times in the novel. While in London, Madelyne is accosted by Lady Eleanor. Use examples of Madelyne's reaction to the mention of Lady Eleanor, and then their actual meeting, to show if there is any change in Madelyne's self confidence. Use examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)