|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Father Bertan go in the middle of the night on Madelyne and Duncan's wedding night?
2. Who does Duncan want at his side in London when he confronts Louddon in front of the king?
3. Which two brothers trade insults with Gerald at dinner?
4. Why does Madelyne say during the marriage ceremony that she willingly takes the groom as her husband?
5. In Chapter 24, who reminds Madelyne of Spartans, besides Duncan.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the aspects of family life that Duncan realizes is different than he is taught by his father.
2. After dinner and Madelyne's singing, what alliances do Duncan and Edmond discuss with regard to Louddon?
3. Madelyne prepares for Gerald's visit by performing what preparations to her appearance and dress?
4. Why does Duncan refuse to call witnesses to testify in his defense before the king?
5. When Louddon testifies in front of the king, what does he say and do?
6. Why does Madelyne not believe Duncan when he tells her that her wolf saves her life?
7. In Chapter 22, Duncan gives Madelyn a recitation of many things that Madelyne does since he proves she is courageous. What are three of the four reasons that Duncan provides to Madelyne to prove to her that she is courageous?
8. What suggestion does Gilard make that he thinks solves Madelyne's problem and why is it a self-serving solution?
9. Why does Duncan insist that Gerald kiss Adela?
10. Why does Duncan not like the changes that Madelyne makes to the hall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One night Madelyne watches from her window as Duncan dives into the frosty waters of the nearby lake. It's also on that night that she first sees a large wolf on the hill near the castle. Duncan's reputation for being primitive and fearless leads to his nickname, the Wolf. Why is Duncan likened to a wolf from the very beginning of the novel? Which characters liken him to a wolf? What words does the author use to make Duncan seem wolf-like? Why does the novel end with Madelyne being saved from Louddon by the wolf? Compare and contrast Duncan with the wolf, both figuratively and literally. Provide examples from the book to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
What hints and clues does the author provide that Laurence turns out to be something other than what he seems? Does the author use foreshadow? Does the author use irony? If so, how? What complication does the death of Father Laurence bring to light? What is the function of this problem in the novel? Pick three ways that the author uses the character of Laurence to advance some aspect of the story. Provide examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
One of the major themes in some romance novels is that of trust in a romantic relationship. Is it true that when the man in a relationship is trustworthy, the relationship results in a happy marriage, but when the man is not trustworthy the woman is betrayed? Pick two couples and compare and contrast the trust level and outcome in their relationships. Use examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 1,365 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)