|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Madelyne is surprised that one of the Wextons is happy that she marries into the family? Which Wexton is happy?
2. Why does Adela straighten the sleeves of her gown and pat her hair after dinner?
(a) She is signaling Madelyne she wants to go to her room.
(b) She falls off of the stool and her clothes are in disarray.
(c) She is uncomfortable in Gerald's presence.
(d) She wants to look pretty for Gerald.
3. In Chapter 13, what does Madelyne speak of in order to calm her mind?
(a) The wolf dog on the hill.
(b) The story of how she saves Duncan's life at Louddon's castle.
(c) The stories she learns as a child living at Grinsteade holding.
(d) A visit to her cousin's home in Scotland.
4. What design is in the center of the yoke of the dress that Madelyne is wearing for the wedding ceremony?
(a) Cream and royal blue flowers.
(b) The outline of a magical wolf.
(c) The Wexton coat of arms.
(d) A symmetrical design in Duncan's colors.
5. In Chapter 17, what is suddenly different about Duncan's chamber?
(a) Two tubs of water are in Duncan's chamber, awaiting Madelyne's nightly bath.
(b) Madelyne's possessions are relocated to Duncan's chamber.
(c) All of the above.
(d) None of the above.
Short Answer Questions
1. Madelyne writes a message for Anthony to the king. What does the message say?
2. According to Chapter 20, why does everyone do chores in the courtyard in the afternoon?
3. Who is Henry?
4. How long is the cooling off period that the king orders?
5. Who tells Gerald the truth about who rapes Adela?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Duncan refuse to call witnesses to testify in his defense before the king?
2. Describe the aspects of family life that Duncan realizes is different than he is taught by his father.
3. What does Adela overhear in Chapter 13?
4. Why does Duncan insist that Gerald kiss Adela?
5. Why does Madelyne practice archery so hard and long?
6. Who is Rachel and what is the truth of Rachel's relationship with her husband and with Louddon that is overheard by Madelyne in London?
7. When Louddon testifies in front of the king, what does he say and do?
8. Why does Madelyne not believe Duncan when he tells her that her wolf saves her life?
9. In Chapter 22, Duncan gives Madelyn a recitation of many things that Madelyne does since he proves she is courageous. What are three of the four reasons that Duncan provides to Madelyne to prove to her that she is courageous?
10. What changes does Madelyne make to the hall without permission from Duncan after she and Duncan are wed?
This section contains 1,286 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)