|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the attack on Madelyne, what does Madelyne ask Duncan?
(a) Does he promise to never leave her alone at the fortress again?
(b) Does he still love her if the priest rapes her?
(c) Does he spare the priest's life because the man is demented?
(d) Does he see that the priest is banished from the premises immediately?
2. What does Father Berton see when he looks out the window after hearing thunder?
(a) A tree that is struck by lightening.
(b) A herd of horses and riders.
(c) A field of grain bent double by the wind.
(d) A legion of armored soldiers.
3. Why does Duncan intend to bring a priest with him when he returns from his trip to see the king?
(a) Duncan needs a priest so he marries Madelyne.
(b) Madelyne wants a priest so Adele and Gerald marry as soon as possible.
(c) Duncan needs to go to confession, even though he kills Father Laurence to save Madelyne.
(d) Madelyne insists on a replacement for Father Laurence immediately.
4. A scroll containing a message from the king arrives while Duncan is away. What is the preferred language for official communications like this one?
5. What does Duncan promise Madelyne that he does upon his return from his trip to see the king?
(a) Teach Madelyne how to defend herself.
(b) Renew their wedding vows.
(c) Host a wedding for Adela and Gerald.
(d) Never leave her side again.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Madelyne knows what is to become of her, she makes demands and throws a jug of ale at whom?
2. What happens to Father Laurence's hands?
3. At the end of Chapter 20, what does Madelyne see as she looks out the window?
4. What color is Duncan's attire for the wedding?
5. Where does Father Bertan go in the middle of the night on Madelyne and Duncan's wedding night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Duncan manage to honor the pledges he makes to both Adela and Gerald?
2. Madelyne prepares for Gerald's visit by performing what preparations to her appearance and dress?
3. In Chapter 22, Duncan gives Madelyn a recitation of many things that Madelyne does since he proves she is courageous. What are three of the four reasons that Duncan provides to Madelyne to prove to her that she is courageous?
4. What changes does Madelyne make to the hall without permission from Duncan after she and Duncan are wed?
5. Why is Madelyne worried about Gerald's visit?
6. Why does Madelyne practice archery so hard and long?
7. What are three reasons that Madelyne is upset when Gilard and Edmond leave to give their forty days to their overlord?
8. Why does Madelyne leave her chamber when she knows that Duncan is displeased if she leaves?
9. Why does Duncan refuse to call witnesses to testify in his defense before the king?
10. Why does Madelyne not believe Duncan when he tells her that her wolf saves her life?
This section contains 1,316 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)