|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is Duncan's attire for the wedding?
(a) Royal Blue.
2. What event makes Madelyne laugh, but terrifies everyone else?
(a) Madelyne's encounter with the wolf dog, who is hungry.
(b) Madelyne's encounter with Silenus, who seeks only sugar.
(c) Madelyne's practice of archery.
(d) Madelyne's attempt to swim the lake like Duncan.
3. Why does Madelyne cry after Duncan tells her that he loves her?
(a) Because she thinks the king does not bless their marriage.
(b) Because she does not love Duncan and is afraid of him now.
(c) Because she misunderstood Duncan to say he does not love her.
(d) Because she is overcome with emotion.
4. When Madelyne arrives at Father Berton's tiny cottage, how does she find him?
(a) Unable to concentrate on her story.
(b) Lonely for companionship.
(c) Dying from Louddon's treachery.
(d) In failing health and dull of mind.
5. What makes Anthony laugh at the end of Chapter 19?
(a) The idea that he must protect his men from Madelyne.
(b) Duncan's sense of humor.
(c) Seeing Madelyne attempt to ride Silenus bareback.
(d) The idea that Madelyne is a clumsy child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Madelyne is surprised that one of the Wextons is happy that she marries into the family? Which Wexton is happy?
2. At the end of Chapter 20, what does Madelyne see as she looks out the window?
3. During Madelyne's testimony before the king, what surprises the crowd?
4. Based on the message from the king, Madelyne thinks that the king wants Adela to marry whom?
5. Who is Rinehold?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Madelyne worried about Gerald's visit?
2. What are three reasons that Madelyne is upset when Gilard and Edmond leave to give their forty days to their overlord?
3. Why does Duncan refuse to call witnesses to testify in his defense before the king?
4. What does Adela overhear in Chapter 13?
5. After dinner and Madelyne's singing, what alliances do Duncan and Edmond discuss with regard to Louddon?
6. Describe the aspects of family life that Duncan realizes is different than he is taught by his father.
7. What suggestion does Gilard make that he thinks solves Madelyne's problem and why is it a self-serving solution?
8. Why does Madelyne practice archery so hard and long?
9. Madelyne prepares for Gerald's visit by performing what preparations to her appearance and dress?
10. Why does Madelyne make a sudden decision to marry Duncan?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)