|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 20, what happens to Gerald's sword?
(a) He tosses it to Duncan to use in the battle.
(b) He leaves it embedded in Morcar's groin.
(c) Duncan retrieves it from the enemy who steals it.
(d) It breaks while fighting Morcar.
2. How does Madelyne manage to kill one of the solders that attacks her?
(a) She uses a mace.
(b) She aims an arrow at his foot and shoots him in the heart.
(c) The food she leaves for the wolf makes her scent familiar to the wolf, who defends her by killing the soldier.
(d) She pushes him off of a wall.
3. What legitimate breach does Duncan commit against the king?
(a) He does not come to court as quickly as he can.
(b) He marries Madelyne without gaining permission.
(c) He does not bring riches to the coffers because he is too busy feuding with Louddon.
(d) He kills Father Laurence.
4. In Chapter 13, what does Madelyne speak of in order to calm her mind?
(a) The stories she learns as a child living at Grinsteade holding.
(b) The story of how she saves Duncan's life at Louddon's castle.
(c) A visit to her cousin's home in Scotland.
(d) The wolf dog on the hill.
5. What does Duncan do before entering his bedroom on his wedding night?
(a) Argue with Edmond.
(b) Take a ritual swim.
(c) Go to the stables to see Silenus.
(d) Argue with Gilard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Duncan explains to Madelyne that on his land, all the trees are chopped down on the side of hills that face the fortress. What is the reason for trees being chopped down on one side only?
2. Why does Madelyne cry after Duncan tells her that he loves her?
3. What does Father Berton see when he looks out the window after hearing thunder?
4. Madelyne almost gets herself injured when she does what?
5. How long is the cooling off period that the king orders?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Louddon testifies in front of the king, what does he say and do?
2. Why does Louddon believe that Madelyne does as he commands while she is under his control in London?
3. Who is Rachel and what is the truth of Rachel's relationship with her husband and with Louddon that is overheard by Madelyne in London?
4. How does Duncan manage to honor the pledges he makes to both Adela and Gerald?
5. Why does Duncan refuse to call witnesses to testify in his defense before the king?
6. Madelyne prepares for Gerald's visit by performing what preparations to her appearance and dress?
7. Describe Duncan's assumptions associated with the reasoning behind Louddon's desire to retrieve Madelyne from Duncan.
8. What is Madelyne's plan to fight back against Louddon?
9. What suggestion does Gilard make that he thinks solves Madelyne's problem and why is it a self-serving solution?
10. Describe the aspects of family life that Duncan realizes is different than he is taught by his father.
This section contains 1,351 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)