|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Based on the message from the king, Madelyne thinks that the king wants Adela to marry whom?
2. After the attack on Madelyne, what does Madelyne ask Duncan?
(a) Does he still love her if the priest rapes her?
(b) Does he see that the priest is banished from the premises immediately?
(c) Does he spare the priest's life because the man is demented?
(d) Does he promise to never leave her alone at the fortress again?
3. Why does Duncan think that Gerald has the "patience of Job and the endurance of forged steel'?
(a) Because Adela refuses to come out of her room.
(b) Because Gerald is trying to teach Madelyne how to ride a horse.
(c) Because Adela's behavior toward Gerald is dreadful.
(d) Because Gerald listens to Madelyne's awful singing by the hour.
4. Why is Madelyne embarrassed after she sings?
(a) She is unused to compliments.
(b) Her hands shake so much that she plays wrong notes.
(c) She falls off of the stool.
(d) She makes several ear-wincing mistakes singing.
5. What legitimate breach does Duncan commit against the king?
(a) He does not come to court as quickly as he can.
(b) He does not bring riches to the coffers because he is too busy feuding with Louddon.
(c) He kills Father Laurence.
(d) He marries Madelyne without gaining permission.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Father Laurence's hands?
2. What makes Anthony laugh at the end of Chapter 19?
3. What is Gerald's biggest concern when he returns to Wexton land in the summer?
4. In Chapter 13, what does Madelyne speak of in order to calm her mind?
5. What personal item must Madelyne retrieve from under the table after dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Madelyne prepares for Gerald's visit by performing what preparations to her appearance and dress?
2. Why does Duncan refuse to call witnesses to testify in his defense before the king?
3. How does Duncan manage to honor the pledges he makes to both Adela and Gerald?
4. In Chapter 22, why does Madelyne want to delay her marriage to Duncan?
5. Describe the aspects of family life that Duncan realizes is different than he is taught by his father.
6. Who is Rachel and what is the truth of Rachel's relationship with her husband and with Louddon that is overheard by Madelyne in London?
7. Why does Madelyne not believe Duncan when he tells her that her wolf saves her life?
8. What is Madelyne's plan to fight back against Louddon?
9. What does Adela overhear in Chapter 13?
10. Edmond makes a complete change in his attitude toward Madeline, welcoming her to the Wexton family. Why?
This section contains 1,337 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)