|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Adela overhears an upsetting conversation about Madelyne between Duncan and whom?
(a) Gilard and Edmond.
(b) A messenger from Louddon.
(c) Gerty and James.
(d) Lady Eleanor.
2. After Madelyne redoes the hall, it resembles what other place?
(a) The hall in Louddon's castle.
(b) The tower room.
(c) A hall in a story about Sparta that Madelyne learns from her uncle.
(d) The chapel.
3. What does Duncan promise Madelyne that he does upon his return from his trip to see the king?
(a) Teach Madelyne how to defend herself.
(b) Never leave her side again.
(c) Host a wedding for Adela and Gerald.
(d) Renew their wedding vows.
4. Who pays an unexpected call on Duncan's fortress in Chapter 15?
(b) Father Bertan.
(d) Father Laurence.
5. Why does Duncan leave Anthony behind at the fortress when he is summoned to London?
(a) Duncan wants Anthony to protect "his greatest treasure".
(b) None of the above.
(c) Duncan wants Anthony to protect Madelyne.
(d) All of the above.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 20, why does everyone do chores in the courtyard in the afternoon?
2. What method does Duncan use to change the subject when Madelyne is giving opinions?
3. Who tells Gerald the truth about who rapes Adela?
4. Duncan believes that Madelyne appears clumsy for what reason?
5. How long is the cooling off period that the king orders?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adela overhear in Chapter 13?
2. After dinner and Madelyne's singing, what alliances do Duncan and Edmond discuss with regard to Louddon?
3. Why is Madelyne worried about Gerald's visit?
4. Why does Madelyne leave her chamber when she knows that Duncan is displeased if she leaves?
5. Madelyne prepares for Gerald's visit by performing what preparations to her appearance and dress?
6. What changes does Madelyne make to the hall without permission from Duncan after she and Duncan are wed?
7. Edmond makes a complete change in his attitude toward Madeline, welcoming her to the Wexton family. Why?
8. In Chapter 22, why does Madelyne want to delay her marriage to Duncan?
9. What is Madelyne's plan to fight back against Louddon?
10. Why does Duncan refuse to call witnesses to testify in his defense before the king?
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)