|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Is Madelyne pleased by Duncan's reaction to being followed?
(a) Yes. Madelyne is glad that the fighting finally commenses.
(b) No. Madelyne is confused because Duncan just laughs.
(c) No. Madelyne wants to flee and Duncan intends to fight.
(d) Yes. Madelyne is glad Duncan intends to kill Louddon so she is free.
2. In Chapter One, how is the captive intended to die?
(a) By freezing to death.
(b) From having his heart cut out.
(c) By the knife.
(d) By hanging.
3. In Chapter Four, Madelyne infuriates Gilard when she refuses to stop doing what when they are by the stream?
(a) Watering the horse.
(c) Packing her satchel.
(d) Plaiting her hair.
4. According to Gilard, what powerful lord has the king's ear?
5. Why is Madelyne unable to hate Gilard?
(a) Because she is beginning to love his brother, Duncan.
(b) Because she feels sorry for him, as he is the younger brother.
(c) Because she knows he protects her during the battle.
(d) Because she believes he loves his sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite her injury, whose life does Madelyne save during the battle?
2. What is Madelyne doing in her peaceful dream about her childhood when she is eleven years old?
3. Where does Duncan take Madelyne immediately before he and his men attack Louddon's castle?
4. After Madelyne's first meal in the hall of Duncan's fortress, what is happening when Duncan appears in the hall?
5. What hope does Madelyne foster in Chapter Two after it is discovered that Louddon leaves the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Duncan's reaction to Madelyne's actions to rescue and warm him?
2. Why is Maude afraid of Madelyne at first?
3. Why is Louddon shocked when he first sees Madelyne after she returns from years at the monastery?
4. Why is Madelyne repulsed at the meal in the great hall?
5. How does it happen that Adela takes her first bath in months?
6. How is the squire with the bright yellow hair described?
7. What is Madelyne's reaction to killing a man during the battle?
8. In what way does Duncan begin the battle?
9. Why does Duncan think that Madelyne helps Adela heal?
10. In Chapter One, how does the author support the idea that Duncan is a warrior before all else?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)