|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Madelyne angry with Duncan after she uses the mace during the battle?
(a) Because she is so fearful during the battle that she snaps.
(b) Because she thinks he puts her in danger intentionally.
(c) Because afterwards Duncan slams her into the saddle in front of him.
(d) Because she kills a man.
2. Is Madelyne pleased by Duncan's reaction to being followed?
(a) Yes. Madelyne is glad that the fighting finally commenses.
(b) No. Madelyne wants to flee and Duncan intends to fight.
(c) No. Madelyne is confused because Duncan just laughs.
(d) Yes. Madelyne is glad Duncan intends to kill Louddon so she is free.
3. How does Madelyne avoid being knocked from her seat on the horse by branches?
(a) Madelyne jumps off of the horse to avoid the branches.
(b) Madelyne uses the small shield she finds tied to the horse.
(c) Madelyne ducks and holds tight to the horse's neck.
(d) Duncan and Gilard block the branches with their shields.
4. Whose eye does Madelyne blacken while she is sick?
5. For whom does Madelyne take in the garments and why?
(a) Adela, because she is losing weight.
(b) Gerty, because she is poor.
(c) Catherine, because she is losing weight.
(d) Herself, so she has warm clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, when Duncan surprises Madelyne and Adela in Adela's room, why does Adela smile at Duncan?
2. What is Duncan doing when Madelyne sees him out her window?
3. According to Chapter Six, how does Duncan command Madelyne to wait during the battle?
4. Who appears at the entrance to the hall after Madelyn's first meal in the hall of Duncan's fortress, much to Madelyne's consternation?
5. When Duncan leaves Madelyne asleep in his own chamber, where does he go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Duncan lie to Madelyne about how much time he spends with her while she is sick with fever?
2. What is Madelyne's reaction to hearing that Duncan and Gilard are going to war because of a sister?
3. When Duncan and his men stop for the night for the first time after leaving the castle, what actions do they take to set up camp?
4. What information does Madelyne get from her conversation with Adela in Chapter 10?
5. As Madelyne is planning her escape from Duncan, what obstacles does she think she needs to overcome?
6. What concerns does Adela have about being with child due to the rape?
7. What does Madelyne expect happens at the battle between Duncan's men and Louddon's men?
8. How does it happen that Adela takes her first bath in months?
9. What kinds of things does Madelyne do during the enforced isolation during her recovery?
10. Why does Duncan think that Madelyne helps Adela heal?
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)