|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the savior wear to rescue the warrior?
(b) A gored kyrtle.
(c) A long black cape.
(d) A dagger made of bronze.
2. What hope does Madelyne foster in Chapter Two after it is discovered that Louddon leaves the castle?
(a) That Duncan and his men leave.
(b) That Duncan falls in love with her.
(c) That Gilard terrifies some other defenseless woman.
(d) That Gilard keeps his language clean.
3. When she is dreaming that she is hot, Madelyne believes she is where?
(a) In Africa.
(b) In the sun at the hottest part of summer.
(c) In purgatory or Hades.
(d) In a steam bath.
4. Who does Madelyne try to punch in her dream?
(a) A Cyclops.
(b) A warrior.
(c) A demon.
(d) A boar.
5. During their retreat from Louddon's castle, why is Madeline warm?
(a) Madeline is warm because Duncan allows her a hot water bottle.
(b) Madeline is warm because she is wearing armor.
(c) Madeline is warm because she is wearing a fur cloak.
(d) Madeline is warm because she is riding with Duncan.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter One, how is the captive intended to die?
2. What does Duncan call his horse?
3. Why does Madelyne prefer death to humiliation?
4. Why is Madelyne embarrassed in Chapter 12?
5. According to Chapter 11, what is unusual about Duncan when he finds Madelyne?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Madelyne refuse to let Simon save her?
2. When Duncan and his men stop for the night for the first time after leaving the castle, what actions do they take to set up camp?
3. Who or what are some of the people or beings who appear in Madelyne's dreams while she is sick with fever?
4. In what way does Duncan begin the battle?
5. How does a new found friendship with Madelyne transform Adela?
6. Why does Louddon decide to go after Duncan once he discovers the destruction at the castle?
7. Why does Madelyne do in Chapter 12 that causes Duncan's temper to flare enough to bellow?
8. As Madelyne is planning her escape from Duncan, what obstacles does she think she needs to overcome?
9. Madelyne promises Adela that she obtains a promise from Duncan that is slightly deceitful. What is the promise and how is it deceitful?
10. Why is Maude afraid of Madelyne at first?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)