|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Adela starts to say that Gerald does not kiss like whom?
2. Who tells Gerald the truth about who rapes Adela?
3. Why does Father Berton come to live at Duncan's fortress?
(a) Because the pope so orders.
(b) Because the Earl of Grinsteade dies.
(c) Because his monastery catches on fire.
(d) Because he is like a father to Madelyne.
4. Why does Duncan leave Anthony behind at the fortress when he is summoned to London?
(a) Duncan wants Anthony to protect "his greatest treasure".
(b) Duncan wants Anthony to protect Madelyne.
(c) None of the above.
(d) All of the above.
5. Why does Madelyne cry after Duncan tells her that he loves her?
(a) Because she does not love Duncan and is afraid of him now.
(b) Because she misunderstood Duncan to say he does not love her.
(c) Because she is overcome with emotion.
(d) Because she thinks the king does not bless their marriage.
6. What does Gerald promise Adela so that she marries him?
(a) Gerald promises Adela that he does not care if she cannot bear him a son.
(b) Gerald promises Adela that they live with Duncan as long as she likes.
(c) Gerald promises Adela that he never leaves her.
(d) Gerald promises Adela that he does not bed her.
7. Why does Madelyne say during the marriage ceremony that she willingly takes the groom as her husband?
(a) She is reading the words written for her to say, but saying them against her will.
(b) She is afraid that Gilard is going to challenge Duncan.
(c) She is gloriously happy to be wed.
(d) She is being forced to lie.
8. Who is Henry?
(a) The heir to King William.
(b) Gerald's yougest brother.
(c) The king's youngest brother.
(d) A Scot related to Catherine's husband.
9. Who does Duncan need to take with him to London to talk to the king?
10. Why does the king believe Madelyne's testimony?
(a) Because Madelyne makes the king laugh.
(b) Because the king knows that Madelyne lies for her husband.
(c) Because the king knows Louddon to lie.
(d) Because Louddon describes her to the king as a scrupulously honest woman.
11. A scroll containing a message from the king arrives while Duncan is away. What is the preferred language for official communications like this one?
12. What does Duncan do before entering his bedroom on his wedding night?
(a) Argue with Gilard.
(b) Go to the stables to see Silenus.
(c) Take a ritual swim.
(d) Argue with Edmond.
13. Why does Duncan vow to go slowly, be gentle and speak softly to Madelyne after they retire to his chamber, on the night he gives permission for Gerald to live in the fortress until Adele consents to marry him?
(a) Duncan wants Madelyne to forgive him for upsetting Adele.
(b) Duncan wants to force Madelyne to say on that night that she loves him.
(c) Duncan wants Madelyne to regain her good humor so she agrees to make love to him.
(d) Duncan is wants a quiet evening during which he thinks about politics.
14. After the attack on Madelyne, what does Madelyne ask Duncan?
(a) Does he see that the priest is banished from the premises immediately?
(b) Does he spare the priest's life because the man is demented?
(c) Does he promise to never leave her alone at the fortress again?
(d) Does he still love her if the priest rapes her?
15. Madelyne almost gets herself injured when she does what?
(a) Walks in front of soldiers practicing archery.
(b) Knocks over a kettle of boiling water.
(c) Falls outside the stables.
(d) Walks in front of charging horses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason that Duncan gives Madelyne for failing to take his nightly swim?
2. Duncan believes that Madelyne appears clumsy for what reason?
3. Why does Madelyne fall off her her stool at dinner?
4. Why does Duncan think that Gerald has the "patience of Job and the endurance of forged steel'?
5. In Chapter 17, what is suddenly different about Duncan's chamber?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)