|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 16, who does Madelyne think is probably the most handsome man in England?
(c) The king.
2. How does the king die?
(a) In a hunting accident.
(b) Due to blood loss after one of Madelyne's errant arrows pierces the king's neck.
(c) Of smallpox.
(d) At the hands of his brother, Henry.
3. Who does Duncan want at his side in London when he confronts Louddon in front of the king?
(a) Duncan's allies and their soldiers.
(b) Gerald, Edmond, Gilard, and Anthony.
(d) The other barons who are Duncan's equal.
4. Why does Duncan vow to go slowly, be gentle and speak softly to Madelyne after they retire to his chamber, on the night he gives permission for Gerald to live in the fortress until Adele consents to marry him?
(a) Duncan wants Madelyne to regain her good humor so she agrees to make love to him.
(b) Duncan is wants a quiet evening during which he thinks about politics.
(c) Duncan wants Madelyne to forgive him for upsetting Adele.
(d) Duncan wants to force Madelyne to say on that night that she loves him.
5. Why does Duncan have Madelyne write a petition to request the replacement of Father Laurence?
(a) Duncan wants to show off his wife's superior penmanship.
(b) Duncan objects to the priest's timidity and that he shirks his duty.
(c) Duncan thinks the priest's injury interferes with his duty for long enough.
(d) Duncan cannot read or write.
6. After the attack on Madelyne, what does Madelyne ask Duncan?
(a) Does he spare the priest's life because the man is demented?
(b) Does he still love her if the priest rapes her?
(c) Does he promise to never leave her alone at the fortress again?
(d) Does he see that the priest is banished from the premises immediately?
7. Why does Madelyne say during the marriage ceremony that she willingly takes the groom as her husband?
(a) She is reading the words written for her to say, but saying them against her will.
(b) She is gloriously happy to be wed.
(c) She is afraid that Gilard is going to challenge Duncan.
(d) She is being forced to lie.
8. What about the disagreement between the two warring barons displeases the king the most?
(a) The possibility that his brother Henry uses this against him.
(b) Slain soldiers and multiple versions of the same story.
(c) The expense from the country's coffers.
(d) His throne is threatened by the barons' disagreement.
9. Adela overhears an upsetting conversation about Madelyne between Duncan and whom?
(a) A messenger from Louddon.
(b) Gilard and Edmond.
(c) Gerty and James.
(d) Lady Eleanor.
10. In Chapter 24, who reminds Madelyne of Spartans, besides Duncan.
(a) The men who lie for Louddon at court.
(b) Duncan's brothers.
(c) The Scots.
(d) The allied barons.
11. Who is Henry?
(a) The king's youngest brother.
(b) A Scot related to Catherine's husband.
(c) Gerald's yougest brother.
(d) The heir to King William.
12. In Chapter 17, what is suddenly different about Duncan's chamber?
(a) Two tubs of water are in Duncan's chamber, awaiting Madelyne's nightly bath.
(b) None of the above.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Madelyne's possessions are relocated to Duncan's chamber.
13. What does Duncan promise Madelyne that he does upon his return from his trip to see the king?
(a) Host a wedding for Adela and Gerald.
(b) Teach Madelyne how to defend herself.
(c) Renew their wedding vows.
(d) Never leave her side again.
14. How long is the cooling off period that the king orders?
(a) One fortnight.
(b) One month.
(c) One week.
(d) One year.
15. Madelyne almost gets herself injured when she does what?
(a) Knocks over a kettle of boiling water.
(b) Falls outside the stables.
(c) Walks in front of charging horses.
(d) Walks in front of soldiers practicing archery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Madelyne object when Duncan refers to Madelyne's hair as red?
2. Where does Duncan tell Madelyne to go after the marriage ceremony is over?
3. What does Madelyne do on her wedding night before she sees Duncan?
4. Why is Madelyne embarrassed after she sings?
5. What method does Duncan use to change the subject when Madelyne is giving opinions?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)