|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event makes Madelyne laugh, but terrifies everyone else?
(a) Madelyne's practice of archery.
(b) Madelyne's attempt to swim the lake like Duncan.
(c) Madelyne's encounter with Silenus, who seeks only sugar.
(d) Madelyne's encounter with the wolf dog, who is hungry.
2. When Madelyne arrives at Father Berton's tiny cottage, how does she find him?
(a) Lonely for companionship.
(b) Unable to concentrate on her story.
(c) Dying from Louddon's treachery.
(d) In failing health and dull of mind.
3. What does Duncan do before entering his bedroom on his wedding night?
(a) Argue with Edmond.
(b) Go to the stables to see Silenus.
(c) Argue with Gilard.
(d) Take a ritual swim.
4. What makes Anthony laugh at the end of Chapter 19?
(a) The idea that Madelyne is a clumsy child.
(b) Duncan's sense of humor.
(c) Seeing Madelyne attempt to ride Silenus bareback.
(d) The idea that he must protect his men from Madelyne.
5. Madelyne writes a message for Anthony to the king. What does the message say?
(a) Madelyne and Adele are prepared to travel to London the next day.
(b) Madelyne is prepared to travel to London the next day.
(c) Duncan does not return to the fortress and has no knowledge of the king's demand.
(d) Duncan respectfully refuses to honor the king's request.
6. What legitimate breach does Duncan commit against the king?
(a) He does not bring riches to the coffers because he is too busy feuding with Louddon.
(b) He kills Father Laurence.
(c) He marries Madelyne without gaining permission.
(d) He does not come to court as quickly as he can.
7. Who tells Gerald the truth about who rapes Adela?
8. Why does Duncan leave Anthony behind at the fortress when he is summoned to London?
(a) Duncan wants Anthony to protect "his greatest treasure".
(b) Duncan wants Anthony to protect Madelyne.
(c) All of the above.
(d) None of the above.
9. Who is Rinehold?
(a) A man with hair as red as fire.
(b) Madelyne's real father.
(c) A baron allied with Duncan.
(d) All of the above.
10. What does Father Berton see when he looks out the window after hearing thunder?
(a) A field of grain bent double by the wind.
(b) A herd of horses and riders.
(c) A legion of armored soldiers.
(d) A tree that is struck by lightening.
11. Why does Duncan intend to bring a priest with him when he returns from his trip to see the king?
(a) Madelyne wants a priest so Adele and Gerald marry as soon as possible.
(b) Madelyne insists on a replacement for Father Laurence immediately.
(c) Duncan needs a priest so he marries Madelyne.
(d) Duncan needs to go to confession, even though he kills Father Laurence to save Madelyne.
12. Who does Duncan want at his side in London when he confronts Louddon in front of the king?
(a) Duncan's allies and their soldiers.
(b) The other barons who are Duncan's equal.
(c) Gerald, Edmond, Gilard, and Anthony.
13. Duncan believes that Madelyne appears clumsy for what reason?
(a) She is not allowed to play actively as a child.
(b) She grows up with priests as companions.
(c) She has no siblings except for Louddon.
(d) She feels safe.
14. Why does Duncan think that Gerald has the "patience of Job and the endurance of forged steel'?
(a) Because Gerald is trying to teach Madelyne how to ride a horse.
(b) Because Adela's behavior toward Gerald is dreadful.
(c) Because Adela refuses to come out of her room.
(d) Because Gerald listens to Madelyne's awful singing by the hour.
15. Why is Duncan surprised at being served at dinner?
(a) Because Duncan believes that soldiers have no use for good manners.
(b) Because Madelyne trains Ansel to serve at the table.
(c) Because Madelyne declares that Duncan does not eat with her that night.
(d) Because Duncan never eats with the rest of the family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Duncan tell Madelyne to go after the marriage ceremony is over?
2. A scroll containing a message from the king arrives while Duncan is away. What is the preferred language for official communications like this one?
3. Who or what almost destroys Gerald?
4. What about the disagreement between the two warring barons displeases the king the most?
5. In Chapter 17, what is suddenly different about Duncan's chamber?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)