|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After dinner, Madelyne finally realizes that Duncan reminds her of whom?
(b) Father Berton.
2. Duncan believes that Madelyne appears clumsy for what reason?
(a) She grows up with priests as companions.
(b) She is not allowed to play actively as a child.
(c) She has no siblings except for Louddon.
(d) She feels safe.
3. Why does Madelyne fall off her her stool at dinner?
(a) Because the dogs return to the hall.
(b) Because Gerald bumps her hard.
(c) Because she is pregnant and dizzy.
(d) Because Madelyne's foot is in Duncan's lap.
4. What about the disagreement between the two warring barons displeases the king the most?
(a) Slain soldiers and multiple versions of the same story.
(b) The expense from the country's coffers.
(c) The possibility that his brother Henry uses this against him.
(d) His throne is threatened by the barons' disagreement.
5. In Chapter 19, what does Madelyne do instead of taking her nightly bath?
(a) Swims in the lake.
(b) Falls asleep, exhausted.
(c) Washes up in the chamber using a wash basin.
(d) Splashes rosewater on her wrists and behind her ear.
6. Who tells Gerald the truth about who rapes Adela?
7. What is the reason that Duncan gives Madelyne for failing to take his nightly swim?
(a) Her bath water in the chamber is available for his use.
(b) It is too cold.
(c) He is too tired.
(d) It is too late.
8. What does Father Berton see when he looks out the window after hearing thunder?
(a) A herd of horses and riders.
(b) A legion of armored soldiers.
(c) A tree that is struck by lightening.
(d) A field of grain bent double by the wind.
9. What do Madelyne and Adela discuss before they go to dinner with Gerald?
(a) The wolf dog.
(b) The incident with Silenus.
(c) What Gerald looks like.
(d) Madelyne and Duncan's relationship.
10. Why does Madelyne say during the marriage ceremony that she willingly takes the groom as her husband?
(a) She is gloriously happy to be wed.
(b) She is afraid that Gilard is going to challenge Duncan.
(c) She is being forced to lie.
(d) She is reading the words written for her to say, but saying them against her will.
11. Why does Father Berton come to live at Duncan's fortress?
(a) Because his monastery catches on fire.
(b) Because he is like a father to Madelyne.
(c) Because the pope so orders.
(d) Because the Earl of Grinsteade dies.
12. In Chapter 17, what is suddenly different about Duncan's chamber?
(a) Two tubs of water are in Duncan's chamber, awaiting Madelyne's nightly bath.
(b) All of the above.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Madelyne's possessions are relocated to Duncan's chamber.
13. Why does Duncan intend to bring a priest with him when he returns from his trip to see the king?
(a) Madelyne wants a priest so Adele and Gerald marry as soon as possible.
(b) Duncan needs a priest so he marries Madelyne.
(c) Duncan needs to go to confession, even though he kills Father Laurence to save Madelyne.
(d) Madelyne insists on a replacement for Father Laurence immediately.
14. After the attack on Madelyne, what does Madelyne ask Duncan?
(a) Does he see that the priest is banished from the premises immediately?
(b) Does he spare the priest's life because the man is demented?
(c) Does he still love her if the priest rapes her?
(d) Does he promise to never leave her alone at the fortress again?
15. In Chapter 24, who reminds Madelyne of Spartans, besides Duncan.
(a) The men who lie for Louddon at court.
(b) Duncan's brothers.
(c) The Scots.
(d) The allied barons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Duncan think that Gerald has the "patience of Job and the endurance of forged steel'?
2. In Chapter 20, what happens to Gerald's sword?
3. Based on the message from the king, Madelyne thinks that the king wants Adela to marry whom?
4. What color is Duncan's attire for the wedding?
5. Who or what almost destroys Gerald?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)