|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Duncan explains to Madelyne that on his land, all the trees are chopped down on the side of hills that face the fortress. What is the reason for trees being chopped down on one side only?
(a) Because the soil on one side of the hills is especially fertile.
(b) Because the fortress needs wood for rebuilding he chapel.
(c) So the watchman see who comes over the crest of any hill.
(d) So the horses have more grazing land.
2. Why does Madelyne object when Duncan refers to Madelyne's hair as red?
(a) Lady Eleanor has red hair.
(b) Madelyne believes her hair color is unimportant.
(c) Red hair is considered unlucky.
(d) Madelyne has blonde hair.
3. In Chapter 13, what does Madelyne speak of in order to calm her mind?
(a) The wolf dog on the hill.
(b) The story of how she saves Duncan's life at Louddon's castle.
(c) A visit to her cousin's home in Scotland.
(d) The stories she learns as a child living at Grinsteade holding.
4. Madelyne almost gets herself injured when she does what?
(a) Falls outside the stables.
(b) Knocks over a kettle of boiling water.
(c) Walks in front of soldiers practicing archery.
(d) Walks in front of charging horses.
5. Why does Madelyne cry after Duncan tells her that he loves her?
(a) Because she does not love Duncan and is afraid of him now.
(b) Because she thinks the king does not bless their marriage.
(c) Because she is overcome with emotion.
(d) Because she misunderstood Duncan to say he does not love her.
6. What design is in the center of the yoke of the dress that Madelyne is wearing for the wedding ceremony?
(a) The Wexton coat of arms.
(b) Cream and royal blue flowers.
(c) The outline of a magical wolf.
(d) A symmetrical design in Duncan's colors.
7. In view of the upsetting conversation about Madelyne, what does Edmond suggest for Adela?
(a) Adela marries.
(b) Adela goes to the convent.
(c) Adela is sent to visit Catherine.
(d) Adela accompanies Madelyne to London.
8. Why does Madelyne fall off her her stool at dinner?
(a) Because Madelyne's foot is in Duncan's lap.
(b) Because Gerald bumps her hard.
(c) Because the dogs return to the hall.
(d) Because she is pregnant and dizzy.
9. Why does Louddon lock Madelyne in her room in London?
(a) So she cannot speak to Anthony.
(b) So she cannot speak to her sister, Clarissa.
(c) So no one sees that he hit her and bruises her face.
(d) So she does not run away.
10. How many of Louddon's men wait outside the walls of Duncan's fortress in Chapter 13?
(a) Two hundred.
(b) One thousand.
(c) One hundred.
(d) Five hundred.
11. Who is Father Laurence?
(a) The replacement for Father John.
(b) Madelyne's uncle.
(c) A priest that lives at Grinsteade holding.
(d) Madelyne's uncle's best friend.
12. Why is Madelyne embarrassed after she sings?
(a) She falls off of the stool.
(b) She makes several ear-wincing mistakes singing.
(c) Her hands shake so much that she plays wrong notes.
(d) She is unused to compliments.
13. Why does Duncan have Madelyne write a petition to request the replacement of Father Laurence?
(a) Duncan thinks the priest's injury interferes with his duty for long enough.
(b) Duncan wants to show off his wife's superior penmanship.
(c) Duncan objects to the priest's timidity and that he shirks his duty.
(d) Duncan cannot read or write.
14. Who explains to Gilard that Duncan loves Madelyne?
15. After dinner, Madelyne finally realizes that Duncan reminds her of whom?
(c) Father Berton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Father Bertan go in the middle of the night on Madelyne and Duncan's wedding night?
2. What is Gerald's biggest concern when he returns to Wexton land in the summer?
3. Why is Adela in tears after she walks with Gerald after dinner?
4. How does Madelyne manage to kill one of the solders that attacks her?
5. Why does Duncan threaten to kill Madelyne in front of Anthony?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)