|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During their retreat from Louddon's castle, why is Madeline warm?
(a) Madeline is warm because Duncan allows her a hot water bottle.
(b) Madeline is warm because she is wearing a fur cloak.
(c) Madeline is warm because she is riding with Duncan.
(d) Madeline is warm because she is wearing armor.
2. What does Adela threaten to do when she sees Madelyne?
(a) Kill herself.
(b) Maim Madelyne.
(c) Kill Madelyne.
(d) Leave the room.
3. After speaking to Adela for the first time, what revelation does Madelyne provide to Duncan about her own future plans?
(a) She intends to run away to Ireland.
(b) She wants to become a nun.
(c) She intends to kill a man who deserves it.
(d) She wants to learn to ride Silenus.
4. What is Duncan doing when Madelyne sees him out her window?
(a) Walking to the lake.
(d) Taking a ritualistic swim.
5. How long does Madelyne sleep after Edmund sews up her wound?
(a) Fitfully for the next several days.
(b) Until the next afternoon.
(c) Two days.
(d) Almost twenty-four hours straight.
6. Madelyne tells Adela a tale about the men and women from what city?
7. In Chapter 12, when Duncan surprises Madelyne and Adela in Adela's room, why does Adela smile at Duncan?
(a) Because Duncan tells a joke.
(b) Because Duncan sings Adela a song.
(c) Because Duncan pokes fun at Madelyne.
(d) Because Duncan gives Adela a kind greeting.
8. What method releases the ropes that bind Madelyne?
(a) A chance blow of a sword during battle cut the ropes.
(b) Madelyne uses a dagger dropped by a squire.
(c) Madelyne uses a shard of broken glass.
(d) A fire burns through the ropes.
9. What does Duncan hope happens to Madelyne if Adela is around her?
(a) Adela rids Madelyne of some of her "cloaks".
(b) Madelyne wants to live in the fortress.
(c) Madelyne learns what it is like to be part of the family.
(d) Madelyne becomes more comfortable around Adela.
10. What happens to Madelyne during the battle?
(a) A shield bruises her left arm.
(b) A punch knocks her unconscious.
(c) She falls off of the horse and bruises her bottom.
(d) A sword cuts her left thigh.
11. Who does Madelyne resemble?
(a) Her mother.
(c) Lady Eleanor.
12. What color eyes does the warrior have?
13. Is Madelyne pleased by Duncan's reaction to being followed?
(a) Yes. Madelyne is glad that the fighting finally commenses.
(b) Yes. Madelyne is glad Duncan intends to kill Louddon so she is free.
(c) No. Madelyne is confused because Duncan just laughs.
(d) No. Madelyne wants to flee and Duncan intends to fight.
14. Whose eye does Madelyne blacken while she is sick?
15. As Louddon is a powerful man, why is he still afraid of Duncan?
(a) Louddon is shorter than Duncan.
(b) Louddon is a coward.
(c) Louddon's power does not extend to hand-to-hand combat.
(d) Louddon is less wealthy than Duncan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings food and draws a bath for Madelyne after she awakens from her fever?
2. Why is Madelyne angry with Duncan after she uses the mace during the battle?
3. Where does Duncan take Madelyne immediately before he and his men attack Louddon's castle?
4. How does Madelyne avoid being knocked from her seat on the horse by branches?
5. What request does Madelyne make of Duncan on behalf of Adela?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)