|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it important to Duncan and Gilard that Louddon value Madelyne?
(a) They want to get back at Louddon by hurting Madelyne like Louddon hurts their sister.
(b) Madelyne's kidnapping is designed to draw Louddon out so they kill him.
(c) They want to ransom Madelyne for much gold.
(d) They want to rape and beat Madelyne to prove that they are as ruthless as Louddon.
2. What does Madelyne think Duncan is referring to when he says, "I'll not deny myself much longer"?
(b) A kiss.
(d) An heir.
3. How long does Madelyne sleep after Edmund sews up her wound?
(a) Until the next afternoon.
(b) Almost twenty-four hours straight.
(c) Fitfully for the next several days.
(d) Two days.
4. Why is Madelyne unable to hate Gilard?
(a) Because she is beginning to love his brother, Duncan.
(b) Because she feels sorry for him, as he is the younger brother.
(c) Because she knows he protects her during the battle.
(d) Because she believes he loves his sister.
5. What method releases the ropes that bind Madelyne?
(a) Madelyne uses a shard of broken glass.
(b) A chance blow of a sword during battle cut the ropes.
(c) A fire burns through the ropes.
(d) Madelyne uses a dagger dropped by a squire.
6. What hope does Madelyne foster in Chapter Two after it is discovered that Louddon leaves the castle?
(a) That Duncan falls in love with her.
(b) That Gilard keeps his language clean.
(c) That Duncan and his men leave.
(d) That Gilard terrifies some other defenseless woman.
7. In Chapter Five, why does Madelyne kick Duncan?
(a) Because Duncan wants Louddon to catch up with their riding party.
(b) Because Duncan turns his back on Madelyne when she is speaking.
(c) Because Duncan makes Madelyne cry.
(d) Because Duncan does not pay attention to her when she tries to tell him they may be attacked.
8. The story starts out in what year?
9. After Madelyne's first meal in the hall of Duncan's fortress, what is happening when Duncan appears in the hall?
(a) Madelyne is attempting to leave the hall without permission.
(b) Edmund is chastising Madelyne for poor manners as a guest.
(c) Gerta and the servants are throwing down trenchers and ale on the table.
(d) Madelyne is explaining to Edmund that the men eat like a pack of animals.
10. What is in the chapel that Madelyne wants to retrieve?
(a) Madelyne's burlap satchel.
(b) Madelyne's prayer beads.
(c) Madelyne's dagger.
(d) Madelyne's best friend.
11. Despite her injury, whose life does Madelyne save during the battle?
(c) The squire's.
12. Who teaches Madelyne to read and write when she is young?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her uncle.
(c) Her mother.
(d) The governess.
13. According to Chapter 10, what does Madelyne take to the stables each afternoon?
(a) A clump of sugar.
(b) A carrot.
(c) Her riding crop.
(d) A ribbon to tie back her hair.
14. What does Adela threaten to do when she sees Madelyne?
(a) Kill Madelyne.
(b) Kill herself.
(c) Maim Madelyne.
(d) Leave the room.
15. Who appears at the entrance to the hall after Madelyn's first meal in the hall of Duncan's fortress, much to Madelyne's consternation?
(b) Gerty and Martha.
Short Answer Questions
1. Madelyne hears from Adela, and then from Duncan, what fact that she dismisses as incorrect?
2. Who risks death to save the warrior?
3. When she is dreaming that she is hot, Madelyne believes she is where?
4. Whose feelings is Madelyne protecting when she refuses to learn how to ride the gentle mare?
5. How does Madelyne avoid being knocked from her seat on the horse by branches?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)