|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Madelyne doing in her peaceful dream about her childhood when she is eleven years old?
(a) Telling stories while sitting around a fire.
(b) Making a daisy chain.
(c) Living with her uncle in Grinsteade manor.
(d) Reading a book.
2. After the battle, when all of Loudon's soldiers are vanquished, what does Madelyne ask of Duncan?
(a) Madelyne asks Duncan to kill her.
(b) Madelyne asks Duncan to let her show him the secret passage.
(c) Madelyne asks Duncan to put out the fire.
(d) Madelyne asks Duncan to release the horses.
3. Who is prettier than Louddon's sisters, Clarissa and Sara?
(a) Lady Eleanor.
(b) Louddon himself.
(c) The queen.
4. What surprises Madelyne about the room she stays in while she is sick and recovering?
(a) The door to the room is not locked.
(b) The room used to belong to Duncan.
(c) The room used to belong to Adela.
(d) It is decorated in Duncan's colors.
5. After Madelyne's first meal in the hall of Duncan's fortress, what is happening when Duncan appears in the hall?
(a) Madelyne is attempting to leave the hall without permission.
(b) Gerta and the servants are throwing down trenchers and ale on the table.
(c) Madelyne is explaining to Edmund that the men eat like a pack of animals.
(d) Edmund is chastising Madelyne for poor manners as a guest.
6. What request does Madelyne make of Duncan on behalf of Adela?
(a) Allow Adela to live with Duncan as long as she wishes as an unmarried woman.
(b) Ask Gerald if he still marries Adela.
(c) Allow Adela to retire to the country to recover in peace.
(d) Send Adela to a convent to live.
7. Why is Madelyne angry with Duncan after she uses the mace during the battle?
(a) Because afterwards Duncan slams her into the saddle in front of him.
(b) Because she is so fearful during the battle that she snaps.
(c) Because she kills a man.
(d) Because she thinks he puts her in danger intentionally.
8. According to Chapter Six, how does Duncan command Madelyne to wait during the battle?
(a) In a stand of trees, just north of the battle site.
(b) Dismounted, in a hidden cave.
(c) Under the shelter of a willow tree, where she is concealed.
(d) On top of the stallion, unmoving in a spot of his choice.
9. In Chapter 12, where does Duncan command Madelyne to go with him?
(a) To the stables.
(b) To the hall.
(c) To the tower.
(d) To the lake.
10. What is Duncan doing when Madelyne sees him out her window?
(a) Taking a ritualistic swim.
(d) Walking to the lake.
11. According to Chapter 11, what is unusual about Duncan when he finds Madelyne?
(a) Duncan is carrying a tankard of ale.
(b) Duncan just wakes up.
(c) Duncan is bare-chested and soaking wet.
(d) Duncan is carrying a Bible.
12. Who is by Madelyne's side for three days while she is delirious?
(a) Father Berton.
13. For whom does Madelyne take in the garments and why?
(a) Gerty, because she is poor.
(b) Catherine, because she is losing weight.
(c) Adela, because she is losing weight.
(d) Herself, so she has warm clothing.
14. In her delirium, what does Madelyne tell Duncan about Louddon?
(a) Louddon cannot read.
(b) Loudon is in love with her mother.
(c) Louddon sneaks into her room every night and stares at her.
(d) Louddon does not like women.
15. Whose eye does Madelyne blacken while she is sick?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Four, Madelyne infuriates Gilard when she refuses to stop doing what when they are by the stream?
2. After speaking to Adela for the first time, what revelation does Madelyne provide to Duncan about her own future plans?
3. According to Chapter Two, how familiar is Madelyne with warfare?
4. What color eyes does the warrior have?
5. Where does Madelyne go after learning about Lady Eleanor?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)