|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What could be considered a new kind of myth?
(a) Humanist theories.
(b) Scientific theories.
(c) Chinese proverbs.
(d) Fundamentalist stories.
2. For what was Santino the chimpanzee at the Furuvik Zoo known?
(a) Solving math problems.
(b) Throwing rocks at visitors to the zoo.
(c) Escaping from his cage.
(d) Hiding whenever people were around.
3. What does Harari believe upsets many people about the theory of evolution?
(a) People do not believe in the survival of the fittest.
(b) Darwin's theory cannot be proven.
(c) It denies the existence of the human soul.
(d) People do not want to believe their ancestors were apes.
4. What was Clever Hans the horse able to do?
(a) Understand commands in German.
(b) Run the Kentucky Derby.
(c) Give the answer to math problems by tapping his hoof.
(d) Cheat at cards.
5. What British explorer first landed on the island of Hawaii?
(a) Christopher Columbus.
(b) Galileo Galilei.
(c) Captain James Cook.
(d) Francisco de Eguia.
6. Animists believe ______.
(a) Animals are subject to human whims.
(b) There is no essential gap separating humans from other animals.
(c) Animals have no souls.
(d) Humans are superior to all other species.
7. Why do scientists deny the existence of God?
(a) They are not religious.
(b) The idea of God is old-fashioned.
(c) There is no empirical data to prove His existence.
(d) Science has better answers to difficult questions.
8. Harari claims that humans are going to replace the principles of natural selection with what other principles?
(c) Survival of the Fittest.
(d) Artificial Design.
9. If humans focus their efforts only on glorifying deity, what might they neglect?
(a) The development of a united society.
(b) Establishing bureaucracies.
(c) Bettering the lives of other people.
(d) Scientific advances.
10. What technology company is developing life-extending projects?
11. Religion is a deal, whereas spirituality is ___________.
(b) An unknown.
(c) A journey.
(d) A personal experience.
12. What is the single greatest constant in history?
(a) The future is unknown.
(b) We always learn lessons.
(c) People never change.
(d) Everything changes.
13. To what does modern science compare the human brain?
(a) A computer.
(b) A self-driving car.
(c) A steam engine.
(d) An electrical storm.
14. Harari says that for modern people death is what?
(a) The unconquerable problem.
(b) A technical problem.
(c) A metaphysical phenomenon.
(d) The logical end of life.
15. Science deals with facts but cannot make __________.
(a) Ethical judgments.
(b) Moral claims.
(c) Liberal dogma.
(d) Political judgments.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the Agricultural Revolution humans silenced animals and plants. During the Scientific Revolution humans silenced what or whom?
2. What British mathematician developed the Turing Test?
3. Why does Harari say American lives are valued more than the lives of the average Afghan?
4. What global health campaign wiped out smallpox?
5. What did Chinese bureaucrats do to make it seem as though Mao Zedong's agricultural program was working?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)