|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lin Nai-Nai's hometown?
2. What does Jean's father do about the new demands by the Communist coolies?
3. What do Jean and her mom hate about the animals Mrs. Gale brings?
4. What kind of game did Jean and Andrea play on the ship during the day?
5. What does Lin Nai-Nai say the Communists are doing in her hometown?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Jean decide the cook was not so bad?
2. Why did the travel to America feel strange to Jean and what did she think about when they crossed the international date line?
3. What was Jean's favorite part of their trip across the country?
4. Why did Jean stop eating much food?
5. Why was Nai-Nai upset when she and Jean's father returned from Wuchang?
6. What news did Jean's father bring in Chapter 5 and what does Jean and her mother have to do? How is Jean's parting with Nai-Nai?
7. How did Jean feel and think about the war in China?
8. How was Jean schooled after her school closed and what did she learn?
9. Why was there a possibility the family would not leave for America when scheduled?
10. What has happened in the Hulls family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Homesick is? Explain your response.
6. Discuss how you think Homesick being a memoir affects the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Homesick". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of compassion in "Homesick". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "Homesick". Consider the death of Miriam and the civilians in the war. Consider also in your answer the death of innocence in Jean from the beginning of the book to the end.
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Jean Fitz.
2. What in Fitz's background may have helped her in writing Homesick? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her books? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)