|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Jean shocked when her father announced his plans for summer vacation?
2. What does Jean notice about insults aimed at white girls?
3. What does Jean refuse to do eventually at her school?
4. Why might the town where Jean's family usually went for vacation be nice for a summer vacation?
5. How old is Jean when the book opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old is Jean when the story begins, where does she live and how does she feel about living there?
2. Where were the Hullses moving, how did Jean feel about that and what did she think about her summer vacation?
3. In what way did Jean find that the Hulls' house was different from hers?
4. What were the Hullses doing for the holidays and how was Jean's family involved?
5. What did Jean do when her mother confronted her about skipping school, what was her mother's response and what was her father's response?
6. What was the atmosphere like in Jean's house on Christmas morning and what did Jean get for Christmas?
7. What did Jean's parents do for work?
8. What improved Jean's outlook on summer vacation?
9. Who was Jean's best friend, who was her nanny and what kind of an agreement did Jean have with her nanny?
10. How did the family get to Kuling and what did Jean dread?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Jean Fitz.
2. What in Fitz's background may have helped her in writing Homesick? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her books? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Homesick". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of compassion in "Homesick". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "Homesick". Consider the death of Miriam and the civilians in the war. Consider also in your answer the death of innocence in Jean from the beginning of the book to the end.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful memoir?
2. Analyze and discuss "Homesick" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "Homesick" is a successful memoir.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful memoir should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Homesick" a successful memoir? What about young teens?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)