|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What river borders the city where Jean lives in China?
2. Who is Jean's best friend?
3. Who is Millie?
4. What did Jean's mother do right after she had the baby?
5. What does Jean ask for as a Christmas present?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where were the Hullses moving, how did Jean feel about that and what did she think about her summer vacation?
2. What shocked Jean about her father's plans for summer vacation and how did she respond to his announcement?
3. What happened when Jean was accosted at recess by a boy?
4. Why was Jean's nanny working for her family and what kind of upbringing did her nanny have in China?
5. How was the revolution going by Chapter 3 and what did Jean's father attempt to do about it?
6. What was the atmosphere like in Jean's house on Christmas morning and what did Jean get for Christmas?
7. What did Jean think about the way the Hulls lived and happiness?
8. What was Jean's father's role in the town and why did this cause fear in Jean and her mother?
9. What improved Jean's outlook on summer vacation?
10. How did Jean travel to the Hull's house and how did she feel about her form of transportation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful memoir?
2. Analyze and discuss "Homesick" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "Homesick" is a successful memoir.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful memoir should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Homesick" a successful memoir? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Homesick is? Explain your response.
6. Discuss how you think Homesick being a memoir affects the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Jean herself had a strange "in-between" feeling, between countries and between cultures. A big moment for her was the ship's crossing of the international date line, when the day changes. She knew that crossing meant she was in a different "day" than Lin Nai-Nai, but the same day as her Grandma in America.
1. Why do you think Jean was feeling "in-between" on the ship? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your essay.
2. How do you think Jean's thoughts on Nai-Nai's day as opposed to her grandmother's day affected her emotionally? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your essay.
3. What are some of the positive and negative aspects for a child, of living in more than one culture. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your essay.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)