|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the coolies demand after the family goes a short distance?
(a) Jean's father's watch.
(b) That the family wait at a seedy-looking building.
(c) More money.
(d) That the men in the group help carry the bags.
2. What do Jean and Lin Nai-Nai promise after exchanging gifts?
(b) That they would work to get Lin Nai-Nai to the United States.
(c) That they would write each other.
(d) That they would not open them until Jean is on the ship.
3. What do the Hus give Jean's family?
(a) A book written in Chinese that is hundreds of years old.
(b) A bolt of silk.
(c) A yellow Chinese jar.
(d) A set of robes.
4. How long was Lin Nai-Nai under siege?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 4 months.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 40 days.
5. Who does Mrs. Gale insist upon bringing?
(a) Her cats.
(b) Her monkeys.
(c) Her dogs.
(d) Her parrots.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is Jean not yet old enough?
2. What does Jean's grandmother tell Jean to do with the calendar she sent Jean?
3. What happens in Wuchang?
4. What kind of feeling does Jean have as they travel on the ship?
5. What kind of game did Jean and Andrea play on the ship during the day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long did Jean and her mother stay at the Hulls' house and why did Jean like it there?
2. What happened when Jean's family encountered Communist coolies?
3. What did Jean ask her nanny and what was her nanny's response to her question?
4. Why did Jean stop eating much food?
5. Why did Mr. and Mrs. Hu come over to Jean's house?
6. What felt like an adventure for Jean's father on the trip to Pennsylvania and how did Jean and her mother feel about his action?
7. How did Jean and her mother leave Hankow, who went with them and why did this upset Jean and her mother? What did they see when they arrived at the dock?
8. What news did Jean's father bring in Chapter 5 and what does Jean and her mother have to do? How is Jean's parting with Nai-Nai?
9. Where did Communist soldiers attack and what did Jean's family do in response to that attack?
10. What happened when Jean and her family arrived in Pennsylvania?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)