|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Andrea complain?
(a) That David got to stay in China with her father.
(b) That they are not able to flirt with boys.
(c) That Andrea's family is going to live with another family for a year before they go to Indonesia.
(d) That their fathers are not on the boat.
2. What does Jean say about Yang Sze-Fu's politics?
(b) He is a Communist.
(c) He is a Feudalist.
(d) He wants to ignore the political situation.
3. Where does Jane's family want to go when they get downriver?
(a) The French consulate.
(b) The Dodge sedan the YMCA has waiting for them.
(c) The American embassy.
(d) The airport.
4. What kind of game did Jean and Andrea play on the ship during the day?
(a) Water volleyball.
(c) Miniature golf.
5. Who does Jean see at the docks?
(a) Andrea and David.
(b) The boy she had befriended with the orange.
(c) Lin Nai-Nai.
(d) The cook who she used to fear.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was Lin Nai-Nai under siege?
2. What do the coolies demand after the family goes a short distance?
3. What is different about Andrea when Jean sees her in Shanghai?
4. What made the coolies dangerous?
5. How did Jean feel when her grandmother called out "Welcome Home"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the travel to America feel strange to Jean and what did she think about when they crossed the international date line?
2. When did Jean feel she was finally in America and what did she do for the occasion?
3. Where did Communist soldiers attack and what did Jean's family do in response to that attack?
4. What felt like an adventure for Jean's father on the trip to Pennsylvania and how did Jean and her mother feel about his action?
5. What did Jean ask her nanny and what was her nanny's response to her question?
6. How did Jean feel and think about the war in China?
7. Why was Nai-Nai upset when she and Jean's father returned from Wuchang?
8. What did Jean and Andrea do on the ship to San Francisco?
9. How did Jean and her mother leave Hankow, who went with them and why did this upset Jean and her mother? What did they see when they arrived at the dock?
10. What news did Jean's father bring in Chapter 5 and what does Jean and her mother have to do? How is Jean's parting with Nai-Nai?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)