|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean ask Lin Nai-Nai?
(a) If Lin Nai-Nai will return to her home.
(b) If Lin Nai-Nai will come to the States with Jean's family.
(c) If Lin Nai-Nai is a Communist.
(d) If Lin Nai-Nai is frightened of the political situation.
2. Who are Margaret, Isobel and Nancy?
(a) British girls.
(b) American friends of Jean's.
(c) The three American cooks who are on the ship.
(d) Two British girls and one French girl.
3. What does Jean's grandmother tell Jean to do with the calendar she sent Jean?
(a) She gives Jean no instructions.
(b) Look at the pictures on each month's page to learn more about the United States.
(c) Cross off the days until the family is coming to the United States.
(d) Write something kind on each day and act that way.
4. About what does Andrea complain?
(a) That their fathers are not on the boat.
(b) That they are not able to flirt with boys.
(c) That David got to stay in China with her father.
(d) That Andrea's family is going to live with another family for a year before they go to Indonesia.
5. Who yells about the Americans being foreign devils?
(a) No one.
(b) The boy who Jean had befriended with the orange.
(c) The cook.
(d) Some of the coolies who had once been friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jean and her mom hate about the animals Mrs. Gale brings?
2. Where does Jane's family want to go when they get downriver?
3. Who will take and care for Kurry the cat?
4. For what is Jean not yet old enough?
5. How do Jean and Andrea categorize people?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)