|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was wrong with the bridge at which Jean's family arrived?
(a) It was too narrow for their sedan.
(b) It had one pillar missing.
(c) It had been condemned.
(d) There was nothing wrong with the bridge.
2. What does the YMCA do during the siege of Lin Nai-Nai's hometown?
(a) Try to negotiate with the Communists.
(c) Give the Communists bribes to let food into the area.
(d) Help in relief efforts.
3. What do Jean and her mom hate about the animals Mrs. Gale brings?
(a) They have fleas.
(b) They are filthy.
(c) They bite.
(d) They look ill.
4. Where did the ship stop after about three weeks of travel?
(b) The Hawaiian Islands.
(d) The Philippines.
5. What is the name of the ship Jean's family is taking to the United States?
(a) President Garfield.
(b) President Lincoln.
(c) President Taft.
(d) President Roosevelt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jean and Andrea do at night on the ship?
2. How does Jean's family get out of the predicament with the Communist coolies?
3. What amazed Jean about stepping foot in America?
4. Who does the car stop for on the way to the boat?
5. How did Jean feel when they landed in San Francisco?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jean and Andrea do on the ship to San Francisco?
2. Why did Mr. and Mrs. Hu come over to Jean's house?
3. Who did Jean see when they arrived in Shanghai and how did she seem to Jean? On what ship would they sail to America?
4. What has happened in the Hulls family?
5. Where did Communist soldiers attack and what did Jean's family do in response to that attack?
6. Why did the travel to America feel strange to Jean and what did she think about when they crossed the international date line?
7. How did Jean and her mother leave Hankow, who went with them and why did this upset Jean and her mother? What did they see when they arrived at the dock?
8. How was Jean schooled after her school closed and what did she learn?
9. Why did Jean stop eating much food?
10. What was Jean's favorite part of their trip across the country?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)