|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Jean and Lin Nai-Nai promise after exchanging gifts?
(a) That they would not open them until Jean is on the ship.
(b) That they would write each other.
(c) That they would work to get Lin Nai-Nai to the United States.
2. What does the war in China seem to feature?
(a) So much confusion.
(b) Multiple sides.
(c) No clear cut winner.
(d) Not much emotion.
3. Who does the car stop for on the way to the boat?
(a) Andrea and David.
(b) No one.
(c) The Hu family.
(d) The Gale family.
4. Why does Jean become paranoid?
(a) She heard that the Communists were kidnapping American girls.
(b) She heard that the Communists were shooting Westerners on sight.
(c) She is afraid the cook will poison their food.
(d) She heard that much of the rice was tainted by the Communists.
5. According to Jean, what do wars seem to involve in history books?
(a) Much bloodshed.
(c) A great deal of hate.
(d) A good guy and a bad guy.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is Jean not yet old enough?
2. Why did the customs officials check people's health?
3. How does Jean's family get out of the predicament with the Communist coolies?
4. What do the Communist coolies demand of Jean's family?
5. Why are women and children being ordered out of Hankow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened in the Hulls family?
2. Where did the ship stop on the way to San Francisco and how did Jean feel about the place and why?
3. Who did Jean see when they arrived in Shanghai and how did she seem to Jean? On what ship would they sail to America?
4. What amazed Jean about getting into America and why?
5. How long did Jean and her mother stay at the Hulls' house and why did Jean like it there?
6. Why did Jean decide the cook was not so bad?
7. Why was there a possibility the family would not leave for America when scheduled?
8. When did Jean feel she was finally in America and what did she do for the occasion?
9. How did Jean feel and think about the war in China?
10. How did Jean and her mother leave Hankow, who went with them and why did this upset Jean and her mother? What did they see when they arrived at the dock?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)