|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean realize when the big moment comes?
(a) That she is in a different day from Lin Nai-Nai.
(b) That Jean would be glad to have a sibling.
(c) That he is quitting because her mother wants him to.
(d) That she does like Andrea's brother.
2. What did Jean and her mother do while her father changed the flat tire?
(a) Wandered through a meadow.
(b) Sat on the side of the road.
(c) Set up a picnic lunch.
(d) Sat in the car.
3. How does Jean's mother get to the river?
(a) In an ambulance.
(b) On a stretcher.
(c) She walks with the rest of the family.
(d) A special coolie for invalids.
4. Where do Jean and her mother spend a week?
(a) At a motel in Los Angeles.
(b) At the Hulls.
(c) At a motel in San Francisco.
(d) At Jean's aunt's home.
5. What do the Hus give Jean's family?
(a) A set of robes.
(b) A yellow Chinese jar.
(c) A bolt of silk.
(d) A book written in Chinese that is hundreds of years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is the boat ride from China to the United States for Jean's family?
2. What is one faction in the war in China?
3. How long was Lin Nai-Nai under siege?
4. When did Jean think she would really feel she was in America?
5. How long did it take Jean's family to reach Pennsylvania?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Jean stop eating much food?
2. Why was there a possibility the family would not leave for America when scheduled?
3. Where did the ship stop on the way to San Francisco and how did Jean feel about the place and why?
4. How did Jean feel and think about the war in China?
5. What happens to Jeans fears about not going to America and what are the arrangements for their leaving?
6. Who did Jean see when they arrived in Shanghai and how did she seem to Jean? On what ship would they sail to America?
7. What news did Jean's father bring in Chapter 5 and what does Jean and her mother have to do? How is Jean's parting with Nai-Nai?
8. How was Jean schooled after her school closed and what did she learn?
9. When did Jean feel she was finally in America and what did she do for the occasion?
10. What happened when Jean and her family arrived in Pennsylvania?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)