|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jean see at the docks?
(a) The boy she had befriended with the orange.
(b) Lin Nai-Nai.
(c) The cook who she used to fear.
(d) Andrea and David.
2. According to Jean, what do wars seem to involve in history books?
(a) A good guy and a bad guy.
(c) Much bloodshed.
(d) A great deal of hate.
3. For what is Jean not yet old enough?
(a) To sit at the Captain's table.
(b) To be allowed in the game room alone.
(c) To have wine with dinner.
(d) To be interested in boys.
4. Where do Jean and her mother spend a week?
(a) At the Hulls.
(b) At Jean's aunt's home.
(c) At a motel in Los Angeles.
(d) At a motel in San Francisco.
5. What does Jean's father do about the new demands by the Communist coolies?
(b) Almost come to blows over it.
(c) Ask to speak to their supervisor.
(d) Shoot one of the coolies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What upsets Jean about her father's announcement about leaving for the States?
2. Where does Jane's family want to go when they get downriver?
3. What does Jean's grandmother tell Jean to do with the calendar she sent Jean?
4. Where did the Hulls go when they left San Francisco?
5. Where is Jean's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news did Jean's father bring in Chapter 5 and what does Jean and her mother have to do? How is Jean's parting with Nai-Nai?
2. Why was there a possibility the family would not leave for America when scheduled?
3. Why did Jean stop eating much food?
4. Where did the ship stop on the way to San Francisco and how did Jean feel about the place and why?
5. Why did the travel to America feel strange to Jean and what did she think about when they crossed the international date line?
6. How did Jean and her mother leave Hankow, who went with them and why did this upset Jean and her mother? What did they see when they arrived at the dock?
7. What did Jean ask her nanny and what was her nanny's response to her question?
8. Why was Nai-Nai upset when she and Jean's father returned from Wuchang?
9. When did Jean feel she was finally in America and what did she do for the occasion?
10. How did Jean feel and think about the war in China?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)