|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What upsets Jean about her father's announcement about leaving for the States?
(a) He says their departure may be delayed.
(b) He says he is staying in China.
(c) He says he is hoping things will settle down so they can stay in China.
(d) He says he is hoping to be sent to Japan from China.
2. What is confusing to Jean at the opening to Chapter 5?
(a) The war in China.
(b) Why her father does not take the family out of China immediately.
(c) Why the Communists hate Westerners.
(d) Lin Nai-Nai's father rejecting Lin Nai-Nai.
3. According to Jean, what do wars seem to involve in history books?
(a) A great deal of hate.
(b) A good guy and a bad guy.
(d) Much bloodshed.
4. What does Andrea badly miss about China?
(a) Her nanny.
(b) The food.
(c) The freedom she had.
(d) Her father who stays there.
5. What do the coolies demand after the family goes a short distance?
(a) Jean's father's watch.
(b) That the family wait at a seedy-looking building.
(c) That the men in the group help carry the bags.
(d) More money.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is Jean not yet old enough?
2. What is the name of the ship Jean's family is taking to the United States?
3. What other children are there of the same age as Andrea and Jean?
4. Who are Margaret, Isobel and Nancy?
5. What does Jean learn has closed?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Jean feel she was finally in America and what did she do for the occasion?
2. What did Jean ask her nanny and what was her nanny's response to her question?
3. How did Jean and her mother leave Hankow, who went with them and why did this upset Jean and her mother? What did they see when they arrived at the dock?
4. Why did the travel to America feel strange to Jean and what did she think about when they crossed the international date line?
5. Why was there a possibility the family would not leave for America when scheduled?
6. Why did Jean stop eating much food?
7. What amazed Jean about getting into America and why?
8. Why did Jean decide the cook was not so bad?
9. What happens to Jeans fears about not going to America and what are the arrangements for their leaving?
10. What happened when Jean and her family arrived in Pennsylvania?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)