|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the YMCA do during the siege of Lin Nai-Nai's hometown?
(a) Try to negotiate with the Communists.
(b) Give the Communists bribes to let food into the area.
(d) Help in relief efforts.
2. What do Jean and her mom hate about the animals Mrs. Gale brings?
(a) They have fleas.
(b) They look ill.
(c) They are filthy.
(d) They bite.
3. When did Jean think she would really feel she was in America?
(a) When she began school in America.
(b) When she stepped foot in California.
(c) When she was at her grandmother's house.
(d) When they reached Hawaii.
4. What does the war in China seem to feature?
(a) No clear cut winner.
(b) So much confusion.
(c) Multiple sides.
(d) Not much emotion.
5. How does Jean's mother get to the river?
(a) She walks with the rest of the family.
(b) In an ambulance.
(c) A special coolie for invalids.
(d) On a stretcher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the ship stop after about three weeks of travel?
2. Where does Jane's family want to go when they get downriver?
3. What do the Hus give Jean's family?
4. How does Jean's family get out of the predicament with the Communist coolies?
5. What does Andrea badly miss about China?
Short Essay Questions
1. What felt like an adventure for Jean's father on the trip to Pennsylvania and how did Jean and her mother feel about his action?
2. How did Jean feel and think about the war in China?
3. Where did Communist soldiers attack and what did Jean's family do in response to that attack?
4. What happened when Jean and her family arrived in Pennsylvania?
5. What was Jean's favorite part of their trip across the country?
6. What amazed Jean about getting into America and why?
7. Why was Nai-Nai upset when she and Jean's father returned from Wuchang?
8. What news did Jean's father bring in Chapter 5 and what does Jean and her mother have to do? How is Jean's parting with Nai-Nai?
9. Who did Jean see when they arrived in Shanghai and how did she seem to Jean? On what ship would they sail to America?
10. Why did Mr. and Mrs. Hu come over to Jean's house?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)