|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Jean and Andrea categorize people?
(a) By their accents.
(b) By their coloring.
(c) By the foods they eat.
(d) By their qualities or activities.
2. Who does Mrs. Gale insist upon bringing?
(a) Her monkeys.
(b) Her cats.
(c) Her parrots.
(d) Her dogs.
3. What kind of game did Jean and Andrea play on the ship during the day?
(c) Miniature golf.
(d) Water volleyball.
4. What does Jean's family decide to do?
(a) Stick it out a little longer in Hankow.
(b) Go to Taiwan.
(c) Go to Beijing.
(d) Leave Hankow.
5. Where does Jane's family want to go when they get downriver?
(a) The Dodge sedan the YMCA has waiting for them.
(b) The American embassy.
(c) The French consulate.
(d) The airport.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are women and children being ordered out of Hankow?
2. Who is going to be taking care of Lin Nai-Nai?
3. What do the Hus give Jean's family?
4. What does Lin Nai-Nai say the Communists are doing in her hometown?
5. Where did the ship stop after about three weeks of travel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jean and her mother leave Hankow, who went with them and why did this upset Jean and her mother? What did they see when they arrived at the dock?
2. Who did Jean see when they arrived in Shanghai and how did she seem to Jean? On what ship would they sail to America?
3. How long did Jean and her mother stay at the Hulls' house and why did Jean like it there?
4. Why did Mr. and Mrs. Hu come over to Jean's house?
5. What felt like an adventure for Jean's father on the trip to Pennsylvania and how did Jean and her mother feel about his action?
6. What news did Jean's father bring in Chapter 5 and what does Jean and her mother have to do? How is Jean's parting with Nai-Nai?
7. How was Jean schooled after her school closed and what did she learn?
8. What has happened in the Hulls family?
9. What was Jean's favorite part of their trip across the country?
10. Why was Nai-Nai upset when she and Jean's father returned from Wuchang?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)