|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the coolies demand after the family goes a short distance?
(a) Jean's father's watch.
(b) That the family wait at a seedy-looking building.
(c) More money.
(d) That the men in the group help carry the bags.
2. What makes Jean think Yang Sze-Fu was not too bad?
(a) He winks at her and smiles.
(b) She sees him feeding the cat.
(c) She sees him playing with her baby brother.
(d) She sees him laughing at a dog's antics.
3. Why is Lin Nai-Nai's hometown starving?
(a) There was a bad fire and the crops burned.
(b) The Communists are cutting off their food supply.
(c) There was a flood.
(d) There was a bad drought.
4. Why does Lin Nai-Nai return to Jean's family in a terrible state of mind?
(a) Lin Nai-Nai's mother is dead.
(b) Lin Nai-Nai's father closed the door on her.
(c) Lin Nai-Nai's youngest brother is dead.
(d) Lin Nai-Nai's sister is dead.
5. What does Jean's grandmother tell Jean to do with the calendar she sent Jean?
(a) Cross off the days until the family is coming to the United States.
(b) Look at the pictures on each month's page to learn more about the United States.
(c) She gives Jean no instructions.
(d) Write something kind on each day and act that way.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the car get a flat tire?
2. Where is Jean's father?
3. What did Jean's father do with the sign in front of the bridge?
4. Who does Jean see at the docks?
5. How does Jean's family get out of the predicament with the Communist coolies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did the ship stop on the way to San Francisco and how did Jean feel about the place and why?
2. Why did Jean decide the cook was not so bad?
3. What has happened in the Hulls family?
4. What did Jean ask her nanny and what was her nanny's response to her question?
5. What was Jean's favorite part of their trip across the country?
6. Why did Mr. and Mrs. Hu come over to Jean's house?
7. What happened when Jean's family encountered Communist coolies?
8. When did Jean feel she was finally in America and what did she do for the occasion?
9. Why did Jean stop eating much food?
10. What amazed Jean about getting into America and why?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)