|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the customs officials check people's health?
(a) To make sure they brought nothing that could cause an epidemic.
(b) To get them to a doctor is they needed it.
(c) So they would not be sued for someone getting sick in America.
(d) They did not worry about a traveler's health.
2. What made the coolies dangerous?
(a) They had knives.
(b) They outnumbered the Westerners by a large number.
(c) They had pistols.
(d) Nothing; they were pretty inept.
3. What is confusing to Jean at the opening to Chapter 5?
(a) The war in China.
(b) Lin Nai-Nai's father rejecting Lin Nai-Nai.
(c) Why her father does not take the family out of China immediately.
(d) Why the Communists hate Westerners.
4. How did Jean feel when they landed in San Francisco?
(a) She felt like she wanted to return to China.
(b) She was glad to get off the ship.
(c) Like she would never leave America again.
(d) She was an explorer like Columbus.
5. What do Jean and her mom hate about the animals Mrs. Gale brings?
(a) They have fleas.
(b) They bite.
(c) They look ill.
(d) They are filthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean learn has closed?
2. What did Jean and Andrea do at night on the ship?
3. What does Andrea badly miss about China?
4. How does Jean's family get out of the predicament with the Communist coolies?
5. Why does Lin Nai-Nai return to Jean's family in a terrible state of mind?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the travel to America feel strange to Jean and what did she think about when they crossed the international date line?
2. How did Jean and her mother leave Hankow, who went with them and why did this upset Jean and her mother? What did they see when they arrived at the dock?
3. What did Jean and Andrea do on the ship to San Francisco?
4. What news did Jean's father bring in Chapter 5 and what does Jean and her mother have to do? How is Jean's parting with Nai-Nai?
5. Why was there a possibility the family would not leave for America when scheduled?
6. What has happened in the Hulls family?
7. How was Jean schooled after her school closed and what did she learn?
8. What amazed Jean about getting into America and why?
9. Why did Jean stop eating much food?
10. What happened when Jean's family encountered Communist coolies?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)