|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Jean and Lin Nai-Nai promise after exchanging gifts?
(a) That they would write each other.
(c) That they would not open them until Jean is on the ship.
(d) That they would work to get Lin Nai-Nai to the United States.
2. What is one faction in the war in China?
(a) The peasant faction.
(b) The Nationalist faction.
(c) The religious faction.
(d) The aristocratic faction.
3. Who does the car stop for on the way to the boat?
(a) The Hu family.
(b) The Gale family.
(c) No one.
(d) Andrea and David.
4. What did Jean's father do with the sign in front of the bridge?
(a) Moved it aside.
(b) Threw it in the river.
(d) Put it in the car.
5. What kind of feeling does Jean have as they travel on the ship?
(c) Great sadness.
(d) Bad premonition.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom will Jean's family stay while waiting to catch a ship?
2. Where did the ship stop after about three weeks of travel?
3. Who is going to be taking care of Lin Nai-Nai?
4. Who does Jean see at the docks?
5. What upsets Jean about her father's announcement about leaving for the States?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jean and Andrea do on the ship to San Francisco?
2. How did Jean feel and think about the war in China?
3. Why did Jean decide the cook was not so bad?
4. Why was there a possibility the family would not leave for America when scheduled?
5. What happened when Jean and her family arrived in Pennsylvania?
6. What felt like an adventure for Jean's father on the trip to Pennsylvania and how did Jean and her mother feel about his action?
7. Where did Communist soldiers attack and what did Jean's family do in response to that attack?
8. What amazed Jean about getting into America and why?
9. How was Jean schooled after her school closed and what did she learn?
10. What has happened in the Hulls family?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)