|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the Hulls go when they left San Francisco?
(a) Washington D.C.
(d) Los Angeles.
2. What is confusing to Jean at the opening to Chapter 5?
(a) The war in China.
(b) Lin Nai-Nai's father rejecting Lin Nai-Nai.
(c) Why her father does not take the family out of China immediately.
(d) Why the Communists hate Westerners.
3. According to Jean, what do wars seem to involve in history books?
(a) A great deal of hate.
(b) A good guy and a bad guy.
(c) Much bloodshed.
4. What city is near Wuchang?
5. With whom will Jean's family stay while waiting to catch a ship?
(a) The Hus.
(b) In a hotel.
(c) The Wus.
(d) The Hulls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean learn has closed?
2. What had happened with Andrea's parents?
3. What does the YMCA do during the siege of Lin Nai-Nai's hometown?
4. What did Jean and Andrea do at night on the ship?
5. What is a big moment for Jean on the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Jean see when they arrived in Shanghai and how did she seem to Jean? On what ship would they sail to America?
2. How did Jean feel and think about the war in China?
3. When did Jean feel she was finally in America and what did she do for the occasion?
4. What happened when Jean and her family arrived in Pennsylvania?
5. How was Jean schooled after her school closed and what did she learn?
6. What happened when Jean's family encountered Communist coolies?
7. Why did Jean decide the cook was not so bad?
8. Where did the ship stop on the way to San Francisco and how did Jean feel about the place and why?
9. What amazed Jean about getting into America and why?
10. How long did Jean and her mother stay at the Hulls' house and why did Jean like it there?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)