|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Andrea badly miss about China?
(a) The food.
(b) Her father who stays there.
(c) The freedom she had.
(d) Her nanny.
2. How did Jean feel when her grandmother called out "Welcome Home"?
(a) That she had never been away from there.
(b) That it didn't feel like home.
(c) That she was finally home.
(d) That she wished they were staying at the farm.
3. What happens in Wuchang?
(a) Communist soldiers attack it.
(b) A flood.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A serious flu epidemic.
4. How does Jean's family get out of the predicament with the Communist coolies?
(a) Jean's father calls for a government official.
(b) Some British soldiers come along and get the coolies to move on.
(c) Jean's father pays them the new sum.
(d) Some coolies who are loyal to Jean's family comes to their aid.
5. How did Jean feel when they landed in San Francisco?
(a) She felt like she wanted to return to China.
(b) She was glad to get off the ship.
(c) She was an explorer like Columbus.
(d) Like she would never leave America again.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is going to be taking care of Lin Nai-Nai?
2. For what is Jean not yet old enough?
3. What was wrong with the bridge at which Jean's family arrived?
4. Why are women and children being ordered out of Hankow?
5. What does Jean say about Yang Sze-Fu's politics?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the travel to America feel strange to Jean and what did she think about when they crossed the international date line?
2. What news did Jean's father bring in Chapter 5 and what does Jean and her mother have to do? How is Jean's parting with Nai-Nai?
3. What happened when Jean's family encountered Communist coolies?
4. What happens to Jeans fears about not going to America and what are the arrangements for their leaving?
5. What was Jean's favorite part of their trip across the country?
6. How was Jean schooled after her school closed and what did she learn?
7. Why did Mr. and Mrs. Hu come over to Jean's house?
8. Who did Jean see when they arrived in Shanghai and how did she seem to Jean? On what ship would they sail to America?
9. Where did the ship stop on the way to San Francisco and how did Jean feel about the place and why?
10. What happened when Jean and her family arrived in Pennsylvania?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)