|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where will Jean's family catch a ship to go to the United States?
(d) Hong Kong.
2. What is a big moment for Jean on the ship?
(a) When Andrea's brother flirts with her.
(b) When it crosses the international date line.
(c) When her father tells them he is quitting the YMCA and they will settle in New York.
(d) When Jean's mother announces that she is again pregnant.
3. What makes Jean think Yang Sze-Fu was not too bad?
(a) She sees him feeding the cat.
(b) She sees him playing with her baby brother.
(c) He winks at her and smiles.
(d) She sees him laughing at a dog's antics.
4. What did the family do when crossing West Virginia?
(a) Stopped and shopped at a farmer's market.
(b) Rented a cabin for two nights.
(c) Picked up a hitchhiker.
(d) Called Jean's grandmother.
5. Where did the Hulls go when they left San Francisco?
(a) Washington D.C.
(b) Los Angeles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city is near Wuchang?
2. How did Jean feel when they landed in San Francisco?
3. What does Jean say about Yang Sze-Fu's politics?
4. What did Jean and her mother do while her father changed the flat tire?
5. How did Jean feel when her grandmother called out "Welcome Home"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened in the Hulls family?
2. How was Jean schooled after her school closed and what did she learn?
3. When did Jean feel she was finally in America and what did she do for the occasion?
4. What felt like an adventure for Jean's father on the trip to Pennsylvania and how did Jean and her mother feel about his action?
5. What news did Jean's father bring in Chapter 5 and what does Jean and her mother have to do? How is Jean's parting with Nai-Nai?
6. What amazed Jean about getting into America and why?
7. What happened when Jean and her family arrived in Pennsylvania?
8. Who did Jean see when they arrived in Shanghai and how did she seem to Jean? On what ship would they sail to America?
9. Why did Jean stop eating much food?
10. Why did the travel to America feel strange to Jean and what did she think about when they crossed the international date line?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)