|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is the boat ride from China to the United States for Jean's family?
(a) 4 weeks.
(b) 3 months.
(c) 12 days.
(d) 28 days.
2. What is the name of the ship Jean's family is taking to the United States?
(a) President Lincoln.
(b) President Garfield.
(c) President Roosevelt.
(d) President Taft.
3. For what is Jean not yet old enough?
(a) To have wine with dinner.
(b) To be interested in boys.
(c) To be allowed in the game room alone.
(d) To sit at the Captain's table.
4. What made the coolies dangerous?
(a) They outnumbered the Westerners by a large number.
(b) They had pistols.
(c) Nothing; they were pretty inept.
(d) They had knives.
5. What does Jean's father do about the new demands by the Communist coolies?
(a) Almost come to blows over it.
(c) Ask to speak to their supervisor.
(d) Shoot one of the coolies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jean and Andrea do at night on the ship?
2. What did Jean and her mother do while her father changed the flat tire?
3. Where will Jean's family catch a ship to go to the United States?
4. Where do Jean and her mother spend a week?
5. What kind of game did Jean and Andrea play on the ship during the day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did the ship stop on the way to San Francisco and how did Jean feel about the place and why?
2. How was Jean schooled after her school closed and what did she learn?
3. Where did Communist soldiers attack and what did Jean's family do in response to that attack?
4. What happens to Jeans fears about not going to America and what are the arrangements for their leaving?
5. Why did the travel to America feel strange to Jean and what did she think about when they crossed the international date line?
6. Why did Jean stop eating much food?
7. What happened when Jean's family encountered Communist coolies?
8. What felt like an adventure for Jean's father on the trip to Pennsylvania and how did Jean and her mother feel about his action?
9. Why did Jean decide the cook was not so bad?
10. How did Jean feel and think about the war in China?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)