|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jane's family want to go when they get downriver?
(a) The American embassy.
(b) The French consulate.
(c) The airport.
(d) The Dodge sedan the YMCA has waiting for them.
2. What does Jean ask Lin Nai-Nai?
(a) If Lin Nai-Nai is frightened of the political situation.
(b) If Lin Nai-Nai will come to the States with Jean's family.
(c) If Lin Nai-Nai is a Communist.
(d) If Lin Nai-Nai will return to her home.
3. What made the coolies dangerous?
(a) Nothing; they were pretty inept.
(b) They had knives.
(c) They outnumbered the Westerners by a large number.
(d) They had pistols.
4. What makes Jean think Yang Sze-Fu was not too bad?
(a) He winks at her and smiles.
(b) She sees him feeding the cat.
(c) She sees him laughing at a dog's antics.
(d) She sees him playing with her baby brother.
5. What does Jean's father do about the new demands by the Communist coolies?
(a) Ask to speak to their supervisor.
(c) Almost come to blows over it.
(d) Shoot one of the coolies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the ship stop after about three weeks of travel?
2. What kind of game did Jean and Andrea play on the ship during the day?
3. What was wrong with the bridge at which Jean's family arrived?
4. Who does the car stop for on the way to the boat?
5. What is the name of the ship Jean's family is taking to the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long did Jean and her mother stay at the Hulls' house and why did Jean like it there?
2. Why did Mr. and Mrs. Hu come over to Jean's house?
3. What did Jean and Andrea do on the ship to San Francisco?
4. How did Jean feel and think about the war in China?
5. What news did Jean's father bring in Chapter 5 and what does Jean and her mother have to do? How is Jean's parting with Nai-Nai?
6. Why did the travel to America feel strange to Jean and what did she think about when they crossed the international date line?
7. Who did Jean see when they arrived in Shanghai and how did she seem to Jean? On what ship would they sail to America?
8. What was Jean's favorite part of their trip across the country?
9. Why was Nai-Nai upset when she and Jean's father returned from Wuchang?
10. What felt like an adventure for Jean's father on the trip to Pennsylvania and how did Jean and her mother feel about his action?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)