|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long was Lin Nai-Nai under siege?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 40 days.
(d) 4 months.
2. Who does Jean see at the docks?
(a) Andrea and David.
(b) The cook who she used to fear.
(c) The boy she had befriended with the orange.
(d) Lin Nai-Nai.
3. What does Jean realize when the big moment comes?
(a) That she does like Andrea's brother.
(b) That Jean would be glad to have a sibling.
(c) That he is quitting because her mother wants him to.
(d) That she is in a different day from Lin Nai-Nai.
4. Why are women and children being ordered out of Hankow?
(a) Because of the famine.
(b) Because of the violence.
(c) They are not being ordered out of Hankow.
(d) Because of the epidemic.
5. How does Jean's family get out of the predicament with the Communist coolies?
(a) Jean's father pays them the new sum.
(b) Some coolies who are loyal to Jean's family comes to their aid.
(c) Jean's father calls for a government official.
(d) Some British soldiers come along and get the coolies to move on.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the war in China seem to feature?
2. What does the YMCA do during the siege of Lin Nai-Nai's hometown?
3. What do the Communist coolies demand of Jean's family?
4. What is the name of the ship Jean's family is taking to the United States?
5. What does Jean say about Yang Sze-Fu's politics?
Short Essay Questions
1. What amazed Jean about getting into America and why?
2. What news did Jean's father bring in Chapter 5 and what does Jean and her mother have to do? How is Jean's parting with Nai-Nai?
3. Who did Jean see when they arrived in Shanghai and how did she seem to Jean? On what ship would they sail to America?
4. What did Jean and Andrea do on the ship to San Francisco?
5. Where did the ship stop on the way to San Francisco and how did Jean feel about the place and why?
6. Why was Nai-Nai upset when she and Jean's father returned from Wuchang?
7. Why did the travel to America feel strange to Jean and what did she think about when they crossed the international date line?
8. What happened when Jean's family encountered Communist coolies?
9. Why did Jean stop eating much food?
10. What was Jean's favorite part of their trip across the country?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)