|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What other children are there of the same age as Andrea and Jean?
(a) About 4.
(c) Just one boy.
(d) Just one other girl.
2. What does Andrea badly miss about China?
(a) Her nanny.
(b) The food.
(c) The freedom she had.
(d) Her father who stays there.
3. What do the Communist coolies demand of Jean's family?
(a) All their yens.
(b) Fifty cents per bag to carry their luggage.
(c) That they stay on the boat.
(d) That they accompany them to Communist headquarters.
4. How did Jean feel when her grandmother called out "Welcome Home"?
(a) That she wished they were staying at the farm.
(b) That she was finally home.
(c) That it didn't feel like home.
(d) That she had never been away from there.
5. What is different about Andrea when Jean sees her in Shanghai?
(a) She is wearing glasses.
(b) She has new silk Chinese robes.
(c) She has adopted American fashion.
(d) She has dyed her hair red.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Jean, what do wars seem to involve in history books?
2. What had happened with Andrea's parents?
3. How long was Lin Nai-Nai under siege?
4. What does Jean learn has closed?
5. What is the name of the ship Jean's family is taking to the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Communist soldiers attack and what did Jean's family do in response to that attack?
2. Why did Mr. and Mrs. Hu come over to Jean's house?
3. Why did Jean stop eating much food?
4. Why did the travel to America feel strange to Jean and what did she think about when they crossed the international date line?
5. Where did the ship stop on the way to San Francisco and how did Jean feel about the place and why?
6. What was Jean's favorite part of their trip across the country?
7. Who did Jean see when they arrived in Shanghai and how did she seem to Jean? On what ship would they sail to America?
8. What happens to Jeans fears about not going to America and what are the arrangements for their leaving?
9. What happened when Jean and her family arrived in Pennsylvania?
10. How did Jean feel and think about the war in China?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)