|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the war in China seem to feature?
(a) So much confusion.
(b) Multiple sides.
(c) Not much emotion.
(d) No clear cut winner.
2. Who does Mrs. Gale insist upon bringing?
(a) Her monkeys.
(b) Her parrots.
(c) Her cats.
(d) Her dogs.
3. Why are women and children being ordered out of Hankow?
(a) They are not being ordered out of Hankow.
(b) Because of the epidemic.
(c) Because of the violence.
(d) Because of the famine.
4. Who does Jean see at the docks?
(a) The cook who she used to fear.
(b) Andrea and David.
(c) Lin Nai-Nai.
(d) The boy she had befriended with the orange.
5. What was wrong with the bridge at which Jean's family arrived?
(a) It had been condemned.
(b) It had one pillar missing.
(c) It was too narrow for their sedan.
(d) There was nothing wrong with the bridge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Jean think Yang Sze-Fu was not too bad?
2. Where did the ship stop after about three weeks of travel?
3. What kind of feeling does Jean have as they travel on the ship?
4. How long was Lin Nai-Nai under siege?
5. Why is Jean so happy to hear about the closing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Jean's favorite part of their trip across the country?
2. What happened when Jean and her family arrived in Pennsylvania?
3. Why did the travel to America feel strange to Jean and what did she think about when they crossed the international date line?
4. Where did the ship stop on the way to San Francisco and how did Jean feel about the place and why?
5. What happened when Jean's family encountered Communist coolies?
6. Why did Mr. and Mrs. Hu come over to Jean's house?
7. When did Jean feel she was finally in America and what did she do for the occasion?
8. What did Jean ask her nanny and what was her nanny's response to her question?
9. What felt like an adventure for Jean's father on the trip to Pennsylvania and how did Jean and her mother feel about his action?
10. Why was there a possibility the family would not leave for America when scheduled?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)