|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is the boat ride from China to the United States for Jean's family?
(a) 28 days.
(b) 3 months.
(c) 12 days.
(d) 4 weeks.
2. What was wrong with the bridge at which Jean's family arrived?
(a) It had been condemned.
(b) It had one pillar missing.
(c) It was too narrow for their sedan.
(d) There was nothing wrong with the bridge.
3. What city is near Wuchang?
4. What fear of Jean's was subsiding as the days passed?
(a) The fear they would not be leaving for the United States.
(b) That the Wu's would not be able to come to the United States.
(c) That Lin Nai-Nai would not have a home.
(d) That Lin Nai-Nai would not be able to come with Jean's family to the United States.
5. What does the war in China seem to feature?
(a) So much confusion.
(b) Not much emotion.
(c) No clear cut winner.
(d) Multiple sides.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Mr. and Mrs. Hu?
2. Who will take and care for Kurry the cat?
3. What does Lin Nai-Nai say the Communists are doing in her hometown?
4. What did Jean's father do with the sign in front of the bridge?
5. Why does Jean become paranoid?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was there a possibility the family would not leave for America when scheduled?
2. How long did Jean and her mother stay at the Hulls' house and why did Jean like it there?
3. How was Jean schooled after her school closed and what did she learn?
4. What news did Jean's father bring in Chapter 5 and what does Jean and her mother have to do? How is Jean's parting with Nai-Nai?
5. What happened when Jean's family encountered Communist coolies?
6. What did Jean and Andrea do on the ship to San Francisco?
7. How did Jean feel and think about the war in China?
8. Where did the ship stop on the way to San Francisco and how did Jean feel about the place and why?
9. What felt like an adventure for Jean's father on the trip to Pennsylvania and how did Jean and her mother feel about his action?
10. What did Jean ask her nanny and what was her nanny's response to her question?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)