|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Mr. and Mrs. Hu?
(a) The next door neighbor to Jean's family.
(b) A family who adopts Millie.
(c) A Chinese family who wants to come to the United States.
(d) Friends of Jean's family.
2. What does Lin Nai-Nai say the Communists are doing in her hometown?
(a) Giving the people food.
(b) Helping the people to build good homes.
(c) Attacking it.
(d) Making the boys join their army.
3. For what is Jean not yet old enough?
(a) To be interested in boys.
(b) To have wine with dinner.
(c) To sit at the Captain's table.
(d) To be allowed in the game room alone.
4. Why is Lin Nai-Nai's hometown starving?
(a) There was a bad fire and the crops burned.
(b) There was a bad drought.
(c) The Communists are cutting off their food supply.
(d) There was a flood.
5. Why is Jean so happy to hear about the closing?
(a) The teacher Jean hates has returned to England.
(b) They might get to fly out of China.
(c) They might return to the United States.
(d) She no longer has to get up too early in the morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean say about Yang Sze-Fu's politics?
2. What is Lin Nai-Nai's hometown?
3. Why does Jean become paranoid?
4. What did the family do when crossing West Virginia?
5. About what does Andrea complain?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long did Jean and her mother stay at the Hulls' house and why did Jean like it there?
2. How did Jean and her mother leave Hankow, who went with them and why did this upset Jean and her mother? What did they see when they arrived at the dock?
3. How did Jean feel and think about the war in China?
4. Why did Jean stop eating much food?
5. What news did Jean's father bring in Chapter 5 and what does Jean and her mother have to do? How is Jean's parting with Nai-Nai?
6. What did Jean ask her nanny and what was her nanny's response to her question?
7. What was Jean's favorite part of their trip across the country?
8. Why did Jean decide the cook was not so bad?
9. What happened when Jean's family encountered Communist coolies?
10. What has happened in the Hulls family?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)