|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jean not see her best friend often?
(a) The best friend's mother does not approve of Jean's parents.
(b) The best friend lives in a rural area.
(c) The best friend is only in the city every other month.
(d) Jean's mother does not approve of the girl's parents.
2. Why did Jean hate the thought of where they would vacation?
(a) She hated being hot.
(b) She loved the mountains.
(c) She hated salt water.
(d) She would not be able to see Andrea.
3. When do the Hullses and Millie arrive for a Christmas celebration?
(a) Christmas Eve.
(b) The day after Christmas.
(c) Early Christmas morning.
(d) Later in the day on Christmas.
4. What is one present Jean receives for Christmas?
(a) A new jacket.
(b) A chess set.
(c) A jump rope.
(d) A Parcheesi set.
5. What does Jean explain to her teacher what she has refused to do?
(a) That she hates the red clay getting all over her clothes.
(b) That she hates China and does not want to learn to write Chinese.
(c) That she is an American and will not pledge to England.
(d) That she wants to draw pictures of the American president instead.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jean feel about where they were staying?
2. Who is David?
3. What did Jean and her mother listen to one night when they felt very tense?
4. What does Millie use the game of hide and seek to do?
5. What began to happen in the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Jean's family's cook and how did he feel about himself?
2. How did the family get to Kuling and what did Jean dread?
3. What game did Millie seem to like and why and what happened when they played? What was Mr. Hulls' response?
4. What did a young Chinese boy say to Jean while she was eating lunch the day she skipped school and what was her response?
5. What did Jean do when her mother confronted her about skipping school, what was her mother's response and what was her father's response?
6. How old is Jean when the story begins, where does she live and how does she feel about living there?
7. What did Jean notice when she was walking around town?
8. Where were the Hullses moving, how did Jean feel about that and what did she think about her summer vacation?
9. What kind of arrangement did Jean and Nai-Nai have?
10. What was Jean's father's role in the town and why did this cause fear in Jean and her mother?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)