|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What river borders the city where Jean lives in China?
(a) The Pearl.
(b) The Haihe.
(c) The Yangtse.
(d) The Yellow.
2. How did Jean feel about where they were staying?
(a) She loved her room.
(b) She was indifferent to it.
(c) She disliked the family.
(d) She hated her room.
3. What does Jean love about the river?
(a) Some aspects of the activity on the river.
(b) The way the river creates waterfalls.
(c) The birds on the river.
(d) The sound of its rushing waters.
4. Why does Jean feel sorry for the coolies?
(a) They live in tiny shacks.
(b) They are beaten badly.
(c) Their life of hard labor led to a very shortened average life span.
(d) They cannot refuse a foreigner a ride.
5. What do the Hullses stress in their lives?
(a) Their mission to convert the Chinese people.
(b) Being free and natural.
(c) Rigid role models for the boys and girls.
(d) Strict moral behavior.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the family travel the first couple of days of their vacation?
2. Why did Jean's father change vacation plans?
3. How did the family travel across the plains?
4. Where is Jean living when the book opens?
5. What do the Hullses not think important?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way did Jean find that the Hulls' house was different from hers?
2. What news caused much grief in Jean and what did she do to deal with the grief?
3. What did Jean do when her mother confronted her about skipping school, what was her mother's response and what was her father's response?
4. Who was Jean's family's cook and how did he feel about himself?
5. How was the revolution going by Chapter 3 and what did Jean's father attempt to do about it?
6. Who approached Jean from the Hulls and what favor was she asked?
7. Who was Jean's best friend, who was her nanny and what kind of an agreement did Jean have with her nanny?
8. What was the atmosphere like in Jean's house on Christmas morning and what did Jean get for Christmas?
9. What happened when Jean was accosted at recess by a boy?
10. What did Jean's parents do for work?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)