|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one present Jean receives for Christmas?
(a) A jump rope.
(b) A Parcheesi set.
(c) A new jacket.
(d) A chess set.
2. What does Jean notice about insults aimed at white girls?
(a) They are increasing and more intense.
(b) They are not serious threats.
(c) They see to come from the richer Chinese.
(d) They seem to come from the poorer Chinese.
3. What name does Jean wish she had been given?
4. How did Jean feel about the scenery around where they were staying?
(a) She was impressed by the beauty of the mountains.
(b) She thought the ocean waves were soothing.
(c) She thought the plains were too flat.
(d) The city was too crowded.
5. How did Jean feel about where they were staying?
(a) She hated her room.
(b) She disliked the family.
(c) She loved her room.
(d) She was indifferent to it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a Chinese custom to which Lin Nai-Nai was subjected?
2. What were students and coolies doing about the Chinese revolution?
3. Why was Jean shocked when her father announced his plans for summer vacation?
4. What river borders the city where Jean lives in China?
5. Why did Lin Nai-Nai leave her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news caused much grief in Jean and what did she do to deal with the grief?
2. Why was Jean's nanny working for her family and what kind of upbringing did her nanny have in China?
3. What was Jean's father's role in the town and why did this cause fear in Jean and her mother?
4. What did Jean do when her mother confronted her about skipping school, what was her mother's response and what was her father's response?
5. Who was Jean's best friend, who was her nanny and what kind of an agreement did Jean have with her nanny?
6. What kind of arrangement did Jean and Nai-Nai have?
7. Who was Jean's family's cook and how did he feel about himself?
8. What did Jean notice when she was walking around town?
9. How did the family get to Kuling and what did Jean dread?
10. How did Jean feel about her name and what did she ask her mother about it?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)