|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Jean's father change vacation plans?
(a) The communist did not allow travel.
(b) To stay closer to home.
(c) Jean's mother did not want to travel.
(d) To save money.
2. Why does Jean not see her best friend often?
(a) The best friend's mother does not approve of Jean's parents.
(b) The best friend is only in the city every other month.
(c) Jean's mother does not approve of the girl's parents.
(d) The best friend lives in a rural area.
3. What does Jean refuse to do eventually at her school?
(a) Draw pictures of the King.
(b) Go outside and play.
(c) Learn Chinese characters.
(d) Sing the opening song of the morning.
4. What does Jean's mother do?
(a) Works for an international corporation.
(b) Works in the American embassy.
(c) Teaches English.
5. What does Ian Forbes try to make Jean do?
(a) Move off a swing he wants.
(b) Carry his books.
(c) Say the phrase, "God Save the King."
(d) Give him her lunch money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean explain to her teacher what she has refused to do?
2. What do the Hullses not think important?
3. Why did Jean's mother have to go to the hospital?
4. What does David ask Jean to ask Millie to do?
5. What does Jean's mother declare after hearing her reason for skipping school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news did Jean's father bring in Chapter 5 and what does Jean and her mother have to do? How is Jean's parting with Nai-Nai?
2. What did Jean and Andrea do on the ship to San Francisco?
3. What school did Jean attend and what did the children in that school do that Jean refused to do?
4. In what way did Jean find that the Hulls' house was different from hers?
5. How did Jean feel and think about the war in China?
6. What news caused much grief in Jean and what did she do to deal with the grief?
7. How did Jean and Charlotte spend the summer and how did Jean feel about work on the farm?
8. What improved Jean's outlook on summer vacation?
9. What was Jean's father's role in the town and why did this cause fear in Jean and her mother?
10. Who approached Jean from the Hulls and what favor was she asked?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)