|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a Chinese custom to which Lin Nai-Nai was subjected?
(b) Foot binding.
(d) Fertility rites.
2. When does Jean cry in front of her mother?
(a) When her mother said they are moving back to the United States.
(b) When relating the story about Ian.
(c) When their father announces he lost his job.
(d) When she is relating the story of getting lost in Hankow.
3. Where does Jean go the next day after her confrontation?
(a) Into the city of Hankow.
(b) With her mother to work.
(c) With her father to work.
4. For whom does Jean buy a pencil box?
5. How did the family travel across the plains?
(a) By train.
(b) By ox cart.
(c) By horse drawn carriage.
(d) By car.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Lin Nai-Nai leave her husband?
2. What does Jean's father tell her she can do?
3. Why was Jean shocked when her father announced his plans for summer vacation?
4. What name does Jean wish she had been given?
5. How old is Jean when the book opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Jean's mother on vacation?
2. What were the Hullses doing for the holidays and how was Jean's family involved?
3. How was the revolution going by Chapter 3 and what did Jean's father attempt to do about it?
4. How did Jean feel about her name and what did she ask her mother about it?
5. What did a young Chinese boy say to Jean while she was eating lunch the day she skipped school and what was her response?
6. Who approached Jean from the Hulls and what favor was she asked?
7. What was Jean's father's role in the town and why did this cause fear in Jean and her mother?
8. What shocked Jean about her father's plans for summer vacation and how did she respond to his announcement?
9. What was the atmosphere like in Jean's house on Christmas morning and what did Jean get for Christmas?
10. What news caused much grief in Jean and what did she do to deal with the grief?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)