|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Jean feel about the scenery around where they were staying?
(a) She was impressed by the beauty of the mountains.
(b) The city was too crowded.
(c) She thought the plains were too flat.
(d) She thought the ocean waves were soothing.
2. Who is David?
(a) A boy the Hullses adopted.
(b) Jean's oldest brother.
(c) Andrea's twin brother.
(d) Jean's younger brother.
3. Who is Jean's teacher?
(a) Miss Breckenridge.
(b) Miss Jones.
(c) Miss Williams.
(d) Miss Stuart.
4. What is Christmas day like at Jean's home?
(a) Melancholy because of the political tension.
(b) Upset as her parents are fighting.
5. What was the political situation like when Jean was eleven?
(a) The Communists were about to stage a revolution.
(b) It was calm with a strong Chinese emperor.
(c) The Chinese government has been more open than usual.
(d) The Communists have been in power for a decade.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were students and coolies doing about the Chinese revolution?
2. Why did Jean's spirits improve about their vacation?
3. What does Jean dream of doing in America?
4. What is a Chinese custom to which Lin Nai-Nai was subjected?
5. What are coolies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jean notice when she was walking around town?
2. Who approached Jean from the Hulls and what favor was she asked?
3. Who was Jean's best friend, who was her nanny and what kind of an agreement did Jean have with her nanny?
4. What happened when Jean was accosted at recess by a boy?
5. What school did Jean attend and what did the children in that school do that Jean refused to do?
6. What did Jean's parents do for work?
7. What happened to Jean's mother on vacation?
8. In what way did Jean find that the Hulls' house was different from hers?
9. Who was Jean's family's cook and how did he feel about himself?
10. Where were the Hullses moving, how did Jean feel about that and what did she think about her summer vacation?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)