|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one gift Millie receives for Christmas?
(a) A sweater.
(b) A pair of shoes.
(c) A kite.
(d) A hat.
2. What does Jean feel does not come naturally to her?
(a) The Chinese language.
(b) Understanding the English.
(c) Writing cursive.
(d) Being good.
3. Why did the baby die?
(a) It was premature.
(b) It had a congenital heart problem.
(c) It had a blood disease.
(d) It contacted postpartum fever.
4. What was the name of the cat Jean befriended?
5. In what town was Jean's family going to vacation?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jean give part of her orange to a young Chinese boy?
2. What does Jean's mother declare after hearing her reason for skipping school?
3. How do the Hullses sometimes appear in their home?
4. Why is Jean shocked when she arrives back home after her adventures in the city?
5. Who calls Jean a foreign devil?
Short Essay Questions
1. What improved Jean's outlook on summer vacation?
2. What game did Millie seem to like and why and what happened when they played? What was Mr. Hulls' response?
3. What did Jean do when her mother confronted her about skipping school, what was her mother's response and what was her father's response?
4. How old is Jean when the story begins, where does she live and how does she feel about living there?
5. Why was Jean's nanny working for her family and what kind of upbringing did her nanny have in China?
6. What did Jean's parents do for work?
7. What was Jean's father's role in the town and why did this cause fear in Jean and her mother?
8. What was the atmosphere like in Jean's house on Christmas morning and what did Jean get for Christmas?
9. What news caused much grief in Jean and what did she do to deal with the grief?
10. Who approached Jean from the Hulls and what favor was she asked?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)