|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean explain to her teacher what she has refused to do?
(a) That she hates China and does not want to learn to write Chinese.
(b) That she wants to draw pictures of the American president instead.
(c) That she hates the red clay getting all over her clothes.
(d) That she is an American and will not pledge to England.
2. What is Christmas day like at Jean's home?
(c) Upset as her parents are fighting.
(d) Melancholy because of the political tension.
3. What is an Amah?
(a) A cleaning woman.
(b) A city ordinance.
(c) A nanny.
(d) A priest.
4. What does Ian Forbes try to make Jean do?
(a) Say the phrase, "God Save the King."
(b) Carry his books.
(c) Move off a swing he wants.
(d) Give him her lunch money.
5. How does Jean feel about where she is living?
(a) She loves it.
(b) She thinks her family should move to a smaller city in China.
(c) She thinks her family should move to a larger city in China.
(d) That she is on the wrong side of the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Jean a foreign devil?
2. What do the school children sing each day where Jean attends school?
3. What was the name of the cat Jean befriended?
4. What does Jean call Mille?
5. What began to happen in the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shocked Jean about her father's plans for summer vacation and how did she respond to his announcement?
2. What was the atmosphere like in Jean's house on Christmas morning and what did Jean get for Christmas?
3. What news caused much grief in Jean and what did she do to deal with the grief?
4. Where were the Hullses moving, how did Jean feel about that and what did she think about her summer vacation?
5. What happened to Jean's mother on vacation?
6. Who approached Jean from the Hulls and what favor was she asked?
7. How did Jean travel to the Hull's house and how did she feel about her form of transportation?
8. What did Jean's parents do for work?
9. Why was Jean's nanny working for her family and what kind of upbringing did her nanny have in China?
10. Who was Jean's best friend, who was her nanny and what kind of an agreement did Jean have with her nanny?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)