|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean feel does not come naturally to her?
(a) Being good.
(b) The Chinese language.
(c) Writing cursive.
(d) Understanding the English.
2. What is Christmas day like at Jean's home?
(a) Upset as her parents are fighting.
(d) Melancholy because of the political tension.
3. Why did the baby die?
(a) It contacted postpartum fever.
(b) It had a congenital heart problem.
(c) It had a blood disease.
(d) It was premature.
4. What does Jean refuse to do eventually at her school?
(a) Learn Chinese characters.
(b) Sing the opening song of the morning.
(c) Draw pictures of the King.
(d) Go outside and play.
5. Who is Millie?
(a) Jean's sister.
(b) Andrea's sister.
(c) Andrea's nanny.
(d) An orphan the Hullses are caring for over the holidays.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why might the town where Jean's family usually went for vacation be nice for a summer vacation?
2. What does Jean notice about insults aimed at white girls?
3. What does Jean dream of doing in America?
4. What began to happen in the city?
5. What does Ian Forbes try to make Jean do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shocked Jean about her father's plans for summer vacation and how did she respond to his announcement?
2. What were the Hullses doing for the holidays and how was Jean's family involved?
3. How did Jean travel to the Hull's house and how did she feel about her form of transportation?
4. How was the revolution going by Chapter 3 and what did Jean's father attempt to do about it?
5. What did a young Chinese boy say to Jean while she was eating lunch the day she skipped school and what was her response?
6. How did Jean feel about her name and what did she ask her mother about it?
7. Who was Jean's family's cook and how did he feel about himself?
8. How did the family get to Kuling and what did Jean dread?
9. What happened when Jean was accosted at recess by a boy?
10. What improved Jean's outlook on summer vacation?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)