|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Jean cry in front of her mother?
(a) When their father announces he lost his job.
(b) When her mother said they are moving back to the United States.
(c) When she is relating the story of getting lost in Hankow.
(d) When relating the story about Ian.
2. What does Jean think the kind of lifestyle the Hullses have would promote?
3. What does Millie use the game of hide and seek to do?
(a) Be mean to Audrea.
(b) Be mean to David.
(c) Run away.
(d) Be by herself.
4. Why did Jean's spirits improve about their vacation?
(a) She would miss the few last days of school.
(b) It would be longer than usual.
(c) Andrea would be able to visit.
(d) Her father would stay with them the entire time.
5. What is one gift Millie receives for Christmas?
(a) A sweater.
(b) A pair of shoes.
(c) A kite.
(d) A hat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jean and her mother listen to one night when they felt very tense?
2. What does Jean's father tell her she can do?
3. What is an Amah?
4. Where does Jean carve her initials?
5. What was the new baby named?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Jean's nanny working for her family and what kind of upbringing did her nanny have in China?
2. What news caused much grief in Jean and what did she do to deal with the grief?
3. In what way did Jean find that the Hulls' house was different from hers?
4. Where were the Hullses moving, how did Jean feel about that and what did she think about her summer vacation?
5. What shocked Jean about her father's plans for summer vacation and how did she respond to his announcement?
6. What did Jean notice when she was walking around town?
7. How did Jean travel to the Hull's house and how did she feel about her form of transportation?
8. What did Jean's parents do for work?
9. What happened when Jean was accosted at recess by a boy?
10. What did a young Chinese boy say to Jean while she was eating lunch the day she skipped school and what was her response?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)