|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Andrea's parents get along?
(a) They are so close they almost read each other's minds.
(b) Andrea's father is dead.
(c) They ignore each other.
(d) They fight often.
2. What does Jean's mother declare after hearing her reason for skipping school?
(a) She is pulling Jean out of that school.
(b) She thinks Jean overreacted.
(c) Ian will be punished.
(d) Jean will have to sing "God Save the King."
3. Why did Jean's father change vacation plans?
(a) Jean's mother did not want to travel.
(b) The communist did not allow travel.
(c) To stay closer to home.
(d) To save money.
4. Why did Lin Nai-Nai leave her husband?
(a) He wanted her to move to a farm.
(b) He beat her.
(c) He took a second wife.
(d) Her husband is dead.
5. Where was Mr. Hull transferring?
(a) To Chunjudo.
(b) To Beijing.
(c) The Shaghai YMCA.
(d) To Hong Kong.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jean's mother do right after she had the baby?
2. Who is Lin Nai-Nai?
3. What was the new baby named?
4. Why is Jean shocked when she arrives back home after her adventures in the city?
5. What did Jean and her mother listen to one night when they felt very tense?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way did Jean find that the Hulls' house was different from hers?
2. What improved Jean's outlook on summer vacation?
3. What was the atmosphere like in Jean's house on Christmas morning and what did Jean get for Christmas?
4. What was Jean's father's role in the town and why did this cause fear in Jean and her mother?
5. Who approached Jean from the Hulls and what favor was she asked?
6. What shocked Jean about her father's plans for summer vacation and how did she respond to his announcement?
7. What school did Jean attend and what did the children in that school do that Jean refused to do?
8. How old is Jean when the story begins, where does she live and how does she feel about living there?
9. How did Jean travel to the Hull's house and how did she feel about her form of transportation?
10. What did Jean notice when she was walking around town?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)