|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean's mother do?
(a) Works in the American embassy.
(b) Teaches English.
(c) Works for an international corporation.
2. Where did the family travel the first couple of days of their vacation?
(a) Along the Yangtse River.
(b) On the Watui River.
(c) Along the Yellow River.
(d) Across theTalkinse Bay.
3. What does Jean's father tell her she can do?
(a) Sing "My Country 'Tis of Thee".
(b) Clean Miss Jones' blackboards for a month.
(c) Go to bed without supper for skipping school.
(d) Stand outside the classroom until the singing is over.
4. What does Jean refuse to do eventually at her school?
(a) Go outside and play.
(b) Draw pictures of the King.
(c) Sing the opening song of the morning.
(d) Learn Chinese characters.
5. What does Jean think the kind of lifestyle the Hullses have would promote?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Jean when the book opens?
2. Why might the town where Jean's family usually went for vacation be nice for a summer vacation?
3. Who is Jean's best friend?
4. What does Jean love about the river?
5. Why did Jean's father change vacation plans?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jean spend some of time in Chapter 2 for the holidays and what did she get Millie?
2. Who was Jean's family's cook and how did he feel about himself?
3. What news caused much grief in Jean and what did she do to deal with the grief?
4. How did Jean travel to the Hull's house and how did she feel about her form of transportation?
5. What happened when Jean was accosted at recess by a boy?
6. Who approached Jean from the Hulls and what favor was she asked?
7. What was the atmosphere like in Jean's house on Christmas morning and what did Jean get for Christmas?
8. Who was Jean's best friend, who was her nanny and what kind of an agreement did Jean have with her nanny?
9. What improved Jean's outlook on summer vacation?
10. How did the family get to Kuling and what did Jean dread?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)