|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were students and coolies doing about the Chinese revolution?
(b) Organizing labor strikes.
(c) Fighting the communists.
(d) Joining the army.
2. What does Ian Forbes try to make Jean do?
(a) Give him her lunch money.
(b) Move off a swing he wants.
(c) Say the phrase, "God Save the King."
(d) Carry his books.
3. Who is Jean's teacher?
(a) Miss Jones.
(b) Miss Williams.
(c) Miss Breckenridge.
(d) Miss Stuart.
4. How did Jean feel about where they were staying?
(a) She hated her room.
(b) She loved her room.
(c) She disliked the family.
(d) She was indifferent to it.
5. What does Jean explain to her teacher what she has refused to do?
(a) That she wants to draw pictures of the American president instead.
(b) That she hates the red clay getting all over her clothes.
(c) That she is an American and will not pledge to England.
(d) That she hates China and does not want to learn to write Chinese.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean feel does not come naturally to her?
2. How does Jean feel about where she is living?
3. How do Andrea's parents get along?
4. How does Jean get to Andrea's house?
5. Who calls Jean a foreign devil?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who approached Jean from the Hulls and what favor was she asked?
2. What happened to Jean's mother on vacation?
3. Why was Jean's nanny working for her family and what kind of upbringing did her nanny have in China?
4. In what way did Jean find that the Hulls' house was different from hers?
5. How did Jean travel to the Hull's house and how did she feel about her form of transportation?
6. What did Jean think about the way the Hulls lived and happiness?
7. How old is Jean when the story begins, where does she live and how does she feel about living there?
8. What game did Millie seem to like and why and what happened when they played? What was Mr. Hulls' response?
9. How did Jean spend some of time in Chapter 2 for the holidays and what did she get Millie?
10. Who was Jean's family's cook and how did he feel about himself?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)