|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jean feel sorry for the coolies?
(a) They are beaten badly.
(b) Their life of hard labor led to a very shortened average life span.
(c) They cannot refuse a foreigner a ride.
(d) They live in tiny shacks.
2. What is Christmas day like at Jean's home?
(c) Upset as her parents are fighting.
(d) Melancholy because of the political tension.
3. What do the Hullses stress in their lives?
(a) Rigid role models for the boys and girls.
(b) Their mission to convert the Chinese people.
(c) Being free and natural.
(d) Strict moral behavior.
4. Why does Jean wish to have that other name?
(a) It sounds more American to her.
(b) It sounds more French to her.
(c) It sounds high class to her.
(d) It reminds her of her beloved Aunt Julie.
5. What is one thing Jean does in preparation for Christmas?
(a) Make her parents presents.
(b) Make Audrey a present.
(c) Make David a present.
(d) Buy Millie a present.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean call Mille?
2. What is Jean's family doing over the holidays similar to the Hullses?
3. What was the new baby named?
4. What was the political situation like when Jean was eleven?
5. What does Jean notice about insults aimed at white girls?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Jean's favorite part of their trip across the country?
2. What game did Millie seem to like and why and what happened when they played? What was Mr. Hulls' response?
3. In what way did Jean find that the Hulls' house was different from hers?
4. What happened when Jean's family encountered Communist coolies?
5. What was Jean's father's role in the town and why did this cause fear in Jean and her mother?
6. What farm animal did Jean meet that had a name and what did she ask her Aunt about the named animal?
7. What happened when Jean was accosted at recess by a boy?
8. What did Jean think about the way the Hulls lived and happiness?
9. When did Jean feel she was finally in America and what did she do for the occasion?
10. Where did Communist soldiers attack and what did Jean's family do in response to that attack?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)