|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the political situation like when Jean was eleven?
(a) The Chinese government has been more open than usual.
(b) It was calm with a strong Chinese emperor.
(c) The Communists have been in power for a decade.
(d) The Communists were about to stage a revolution.
2. What is one present Jean receives for Christmas?
(a) A jump rope.
(b) A chess set.
(c) A new jacket.
(d) A Parcheesi set.
3. What does Jean love about the river?
(a) The way the river creates waterfalls.
(b) The sound of its rushing waters.
(c) The birds on the river.
(d) Some aspects of the activity on the river.
4. Who is Millie?
(a) An orphan the Hullses are caring for over the holidays.
(b) Jean's sister.
(c) Andrea's sister.
(d) Andrea's nanny.
5. How does Jean feel about where she is living?
(a) She thinks her family should move to a larger city in China.
(b) She loves it.
(c) That she is on the wrong side of the world.
(d) She thinks her family should move to a smaller city in China.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Andrea Hulls' family in China?
2. What does Jean's father do?
3. What were students and coolies doing about the Chinese revolution?
4. How do the Hullses sometimes appear in their home?
5. What name does Jean wish she had been given?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jean spend some of time in Chapter 2 for the holidays and what did she get Millie?
2. What improved Jean's outlook on summer vacation?
3. Who was Jean's family's cook and how did he feel about himself?
4. In what way did Jean find that the Hulls' house was different from hers?
5. Where were the Hullses moving, how did Jean feel about that and what did she think about her summer vacation?
6. Why was Jean's nanny working for her family and what kind of upbringing did her nanny have in China?
7. What was Jean's father's role in the town and why did this cause fear in Jean and her mother?
8. How did Jean travel to the Hull's house and how did she feel about her form of transportation?
9. What news caused much grief in Jean and what did she do to deal with the grief?
10. What happened when Jean was accosted at recess by a boy?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)