|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean feel does not come naturally to her?
(a) Being good.
(b) The Chinese language.
(c) Understanding the English.
(d) Writing cursive.
2. What is Christmas day like at Jean's home?
(b) Upset as her parents are fighting.
(d) Melancholy because of the political tension.
3. What was the political situation like when Jean was eleven?
(a) The Chinese government has been more open than usual.
(b) The Communists were about to stage a revolution.
(c) It was calm with a strong Chinese emperor.
(d) The Communists have been in power for a decade.
4. Why does Jean give part of her orange to a young Chinese boy?
(a) She refuses to give him her orange.
(b) He looked hungry.
(c) He asked her for it.
(d) To curb his hostility.
5. Where is Jean living when the book opens?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are generally not allowed in the British concession?
2. What does Jean notice about insults aimed at white girls?
3. Where did Jean think their summer vacation would be?
4. Why might the town where Jean's family usually went for vacation be nice for a summer vacation?
5. What did Jean's father attempt to do about the revolution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Jean's mother on vacation?
2. What were the Hullses doing for the holidays and how was Jean's family involved?
3. Who was Jean's family's cook and how did he feel about himself?
4. How old is Jean when the story begins, where does she live and how does she feel about living there?
5. Where were the Hullses moving, how did Jean feel about that and what did she think about her summer vacation?
6. What did Jean do when her mother confronted her about skipping school, what was her mother's response and what was her father's response?
7. What school did Jean attend and what did the children in that school do that Jean refused to do?
8. What news caused much grief in Jean and what did she do to deal with the grief?
9. What shocked Jean about her father's plans for summer vacation and how did she respond to his announcement?
10. What improved Jean's outlook on summer vacation?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)