|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Millie dutifully do on Christmas?
(a) Say thank you for the presents.
(b) Goes to church with the families.
(c) Play with the toys she receives.
(d) The dishes from Christmas dinner.
2. Who calls Jean a foreign devil?
(a) Her teacher.
(b) A young boy.
(c) A Chinese policeman.
(d) No one.
3. Who is Jean's best friend?
4. What did Jean's mother do right after she had the baby?
(a) Came back on vacation.
(b) Remained in the hospital.
(c) Left for America.
(d) Went back to Honkow.
5. What did Jean and her mother listen to one night when they felt very tense?
(a) Dogs barking and crying.
(b) Police sirens.
(c) Houses being torn up.
(d) Screams and sounds of violence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean notice about insults aimed at white girls?
2. What is Christmas day like at Jean's home?
3. Who are generally not allowed in the British concession?
4. What does Jean's mother do?
5. What does Jean ask for as a Christmas present?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Jean's family's cook and how did he feel about himself?
2. What school did Jean attend and what did the children in that school do that Jean refused to do?
3. What did Jean's parents do for work?
4. How old is Jean when the story begins, where does she live and how does she feel about living there?
5. What was the atmosphere like in Jean's house on Christmas morning and what did Jean get for Christmas?
6. What did Jean think about the way the Hulls lived and happiness?
7. What kind of arrangement did Jean and Nai-Nai have?
8. What were the Hullses doing for the holidays and how was Jean's family involved?
9. What game did Millie seem to like and why and what happened when they played? What was Mr. Hulls' response?
10. What happened when Jean was accosted at recess by a boy?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)