|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Jean hate the thought of where they would vacation?
(a) She would not be able to see Andrea.
(b) She hated being hot.
(c) She hated salt water.
(d) She loved the mountains.
2. For whom does Jean buy a pencil box?
3. Who is Jean's best friend?
4. What does Jean confess in her letters to her Grandma?
(a) That she is depressed about living in China.
(b) That the English boys all beat up on her.
(c) That her father is never home.
(d) That she sometimes does not try to be good.
5. What is Jean's family doing over the holidays similar to the Hullses?
(a) They are celebrating Hanukkah.
(b) They are giving their employees bonuses.
(c) They are not celebrating Christmas.
(d) They are also hosting Millie for awhile.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Jean think their summer vacation would be?
2. Who is Millie?
3. What are coolies?
4. Why is Andrea Hulls' family in China?
5. In what town was Jean's family going to vacation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What school did Jean attend and what did the children in that school do that Jean refused to do?
2. Where were the Hullses moving, how did Jean feel about that and what did she think about her summer vacation?
3. In what way did Jean find that the Hulls' house was different from hers?
4. What did a young Chinese boy say to Jean while she was eating lunch the day she skipped school and what was her response?
5. What shocked Jean about her father's plans for summer vacation and how did she respond to his announcement?
6. What game did Millie seem to like and why and what happened when they played? What was Mr. Hulls' response?
7. Who approached Jean from the Hulls and what favor was she asked?
8. How did the family get to Kuling and what did Jean dread?
9. How did Jean spend some of time in Chapter 2 for the holidays and what did she get Millie?
10. Why was Jean's nanny working for her family and what kind of upbringing did her nanny have in China?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)