|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the political situation like when Jean was eleven?
(a) The Communists have been in power for a decade.
(b) The Communists were about to stage a revolution.
(c) It was calm with a strong Chinese emperor.
(d) The Chinese government has been more open than usual.
2. Why did Lin Nai-Nai leave her husband?
(a) He took a second wife.
(b) He beat her.
(c) He wanted her to move to a farm.
(d) Her husband is dead.
3. Who is Lin Nai-Nai?
(a) Jean's nanny.
(b) A teacher at Jean's school.
(c) The woman who cleans Jean's home.
(d) The woman who cooks at Jean's school.
4. Who calls Jean a foreign devil?
(a) No one.
(b) Her teacher.
(c) A young boy.
(d) A Chinese policeman.
5. Why does Jean feel sorry for the coolies?
(a) They live in tiny shacks.
(b) They cannot refuse a foreigner a ride.
(c) Their life of hard labor led to a very shortened average life span.
(d) They are beaten badly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean's mother declare after hearing her reason for skipping school?
2. In what town was Jean's family going to vacation?
3. What is an Amah?
4. For whom does Jean buy a pencil box?
5. What did Jean's mother do right after she had the baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened in the Hulls family?
2. What kind of arrangement did Jean and Nai-Nai have?
3. How did Jean get to meet many of her relatives, who did she become friends with and what neighbor girls did she meet?
4. What happened when Jean was accosted at recess by a boy?
5. How did Jean travel to the Hull's house and how did she feel about her form of transportation?
6. What did Jean think about the way the Hulls lived and happiness?
7. Why did the travel to America feel strange to Jean and what did she think about when they crossed the international date line?
8. How did Jean and Charlotte spend the summer and how did Jean feel about work on the farm?
9. Where were the Hullses moving, how did Jean feel about that and what did she think about her summer vacation?
10. What felt like an adventure for Jean's father on the trip to Pennsylvania and how did Jean and her mother feel about his action?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)