|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean feel does not come naturally to her?
(a) The Chinese language.
(b) Being good.
(c) Understanding the English.
(d) Writing cursive.
2. What is one thing Jean does in preparation for Christmas?
(a) Make Audrey a present.
(b) Make David a present.
(c) Buy Millie a present.
(d) Make her parents presents.
3. Why does Jean give part of her orange to a young Chinese boy?
(a) He asked her for it.
(b) To curb his hostility.
(c) He looked hungry.
(d) She refuses to give him her orange.
4. What did Jean's father attempt to do about the revolution?
(a) Support the government.
(b) Supply the rebels with food.
(c) Join the revolution.
(d) Remain apolitical.
5. Who are generally not allowed in the British concession?
(a) No one.
(b) French people.
(c) Chinese people.
(d) Russian people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the cat Jean befriended?
2. What do the school children sing each day where Jean attends school?
3. Why did Lin Nai-Nai leave her husband?
4. Why might the town where Jean's family usually went for vacation be nice for a summer vacation?
5. Where does Jean carve her initials?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Jean's favorite part of their trip across the country?
2. Where did the ship stop on the way to San Francisco and how did Jean feel about the place and why?
3. How was Jean schooled after her school closed and what did she learn?
4. When did Jean feel she was finally in America and what did she do for the occasion?
5. What were the Hullses doing for the holidays and how was Jean's family involved?
6. How was the revolution going by Chapter 3 and what did Jean's father attempt to do about it?
7. Who was Jean's family's cook and how did he feel about himself?
8. How did Jean and her mother leave Hankow, who went with them and why did this upset Jean and her mother? What did they see when they arrived at the dock?
9. What game did Millie seem to like and why and what happened when they played? What was Mr. Hulls' response?
10. What was the atmosphere like in Jean's house on Christmas morning and what did Jean get for Christmas?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)