|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Millie use the game of hide and seek to do?
(a) Be mean to David.
(b) Run away.
(c) Be mean to Audrea.
(d) Be by herself.
2. Why is Andrea Hulls' family in China?
(a) They are Christian missionaries.
(b) Her father is an architect helping rebuild after an earthquake.
(c) Andrea's mother is a doctor building a rural clinic.
(d) Because of the YMCA.
3. What were students and coolies doing about the Chinese revolution?
(a) Fighting the communists.
(b) Joining the army.
(d) Organizing labor strikes.
4. Why does Jean feel sorry for the coolies?
(a) They cannot refuse a foreigner a ride.
(b) They live in tiny shacks.
(c) Their life of hard labor led to a very shortened average life span.
(d) They are beaten badly.
5. What does Jean's mother declare after hearing her reason for skipping school?
(a) Ian will be punished.
(b) She thinks Jean overreacted.
(c) She is pulling Jean out of that school.
(d) Jean will have to sing "God Save the King."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean love about the river?
2. What does Ian Forbes try to make Jean do?
3. Where does Jean go the next day after her confrontation?
4. In what town was Jean's family going to vacation?
5. Why did Jean's father change vacation plans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Jean's nanny working for her family and what kind of upbringing did her nanny have in China?
2. What news caused much grief in Jean and what did she do to deal with the grief?
3. What were the Hullses doing for the holidays and how was Jean's family involved?
4. What kind of arrangement did Jean and Nai-Nai have?
5. Who approached Jean from the Hulls and what favor was she asked?
6. What was Jean's father's role in the town and why did this cause fear in Jean and her mother?
7. What was the atmosphere like in Jean's house on Christmas morning and what did Jean get for Christmas?
8. Who was Jean's best friend, who was her nanny and what kind of an agreement did Jean have with her nanny?
9. How was the revolution going by Chapter 3 and what did Jean's father attempt to do about it?
10. How did Jean travel to the Hull's house and how did she feel about her form of transportation?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)