|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What other children are there of the same age as Andrea and Jean?
(a) Just one boy.
(c) Just one other girl.
(d) About 4.
2. Why did the customs officials check people's health?
(a) They did not worry about a traveler's health.
(b) So they would not be sued for someone getting sick in America.
(c) To get them to a doctor is they needed it.
(d) To make sure they brought nothing that could cause an epidemic.
3. How long did it take Jean's family to reach Pennsylvania?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Five days.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) A month.
4. What kind of game did Jean and Andrea play on the ship during the day?
(a) Miniature golf.
(b) Water volleyball.
5. With whom will Jean's family stay while waiting to catch a ship?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) The Wus.
(c) The Hus.
(d) The Hulls.
6. What does the war in China seem to feature?
(a) So much confusion.
(b) No clear cut winner.
(c) Not much emotion.
(d) Multiple sides.
7. What does Jean ask Lin Nai-Nai?
(a) If Lin Nai-Nai will come to the States with Jean's family.
(b) If Lin Nai-Nai will return to her home.
(c) If Lin Nai-Nai is a Communist.
(d) If Lin Nai-Nai is frightened of the political situation.
8. What do the coolies demand after the family goes a short distance?
(a) Jean's father's watch.
(b) That the men in the group help carry the bags.
(c) More money.
(d) That the family wait at a seedy-looking building.
9. Who is going to be taking care of Lin Nai-Nai?
(a) The Hus.
(b) The YMCA.
(c) The Christian missionaries.
(d) No one.
10. What does Jean's family decide to do?
(a) Stick it out a little longer in Hankow.
(b) Go to Taiwan.
(c) Leave Hankow.
(d) Go to Beijing.
11. What kind of feeling does Jean have as they travel on the ship?
(a) Great sadness.
(d) Bad premonition.
12. How did Jean feel when they landed in San Francisco?
(a) Like she would never leave America again.
(b) She was an explorer like Columbus.
(c) She felt like she wanted to return to China.
(d) She was glad to get off the ship.
13. For what is Jean not yet old enough?
(a) To sit at the Captain's table.
(b) To have wine with dinner.
(c) To be interested in boys.
(d) To be allowed in the game room alone.
14. How long is the boat ride from China to the United States for Jean's family?
(a) 4 weeks.
(b) 12 days.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 28 days.
15. What happens in Wuchang?
(a) A flood.
(b) Communist soldiers attack it.
(c) A serious flu epidemic.
(d) An earthquake.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Jean think she would really feel she was in America?
2. Who does Mrs. Gale insist upon bringing?
3. What do the Hus give Jean's family?
4. What is a big moment for Jean on the ship?
5. What does Jean's grandmother tell Jean to do with the calendar she sent Jean?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)