|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jean and her mother do while her father changed the flat tire?
(a) Sat on the side of the road.
(b) Set up a picnic lunch.
(c) Wandered through a meadow.
(d) Sat in the car.
2. Why does Lin Nai-Nai return to Jean's family in a terrible state of mind?
(a) Lin Nai-Nai's father closed the door on her.
(b) Lin Nai-Nai's youngest brother is dead.
(c) Lin Nai-Nai's mother is dead.
(d) Lin Nai-Nai's sister is dead.
3. How does Jean's family get out of the predicament with the Communist coolies?
(a) Jean's father pays them the new sum.
(b) Jean's father calls for a government official.
(c) Some coolies who are loyal to Jean's family comes to their aid.
(d) Some British soldiers come along and get the coolies to move on.
4. Who will take and care for Kurry the cat?
(a) The Wong's.
(b) The Hus.
(c) The cook.
(d) The Wu's.
5. Why did the customs officials check people's health?
(a) So they would not be sued for someone getting sick in America.
(b) They did not worry about a traveler's health.
(c) To get them to a doctor is they needed it.
(d) To make sure they brought nothing that could cause an epidemic.
6. What had happened with Andrea's parents?
(a) They were arrested.
(c) They divorced.
(d) They got separated in the war and have not found her father.
7. What does Andrea badly miss about China?
(a) Her nanny.
(b) The freedom she had.
(c) Her father who stays there.
(d) The food.
8. What amazed Jean about stepping foot in America?
(a) That she did not feel any difference physically.
(b) That it was so difficult to get through customs.
(c) That the buildings looked the same as China.
(d) That there was so few people in such a large city.
9. What does Jean's family decide to do?
(a) Stick it out a little longer in Hankow.
(b) Go to Taiwan.
(c) Leave Hankow.
(d) Go to Beijing.
10. Who yells about the Americans being foreign devils?
(a) The cook.
(b) No one.
(c) Some of the coolies who had once been friends.
(d) The boy who Jean had befriended with the orange.
11. What kind of feeling does Jean have as they travel on the ship?
(a) Bad premonition.
(b) Great sadness.
12. Where did the ship stop after about three weeks of travel?
(a) The Hawaiian Islands.
(b) The Philippines.
13. How long did it take Jean's family to reach Pennsylvania?
(a) A month.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Five days.
14. What is confusing to Jean at the opening to Chapter 5?
(a) Why the Communists hate Westerners.
(b) The war in China.
(c) Why her father does not take the family out of China immediately.
(d) Lin Nai-Nai's father rejecting Lin Nai-Nai.
15. Where is Jean's father?
(a) He is already in Shanghai.
(b) He is in a car just behind Jean and her mother.
(c) He is staying in Hankow temporarily.
(d) He is with Jean and her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship Jean's family is taking to the United States?
2. What other children are there of the same age as Andrea and Jean?
3. How did Jean feel when her grandmother called out "Welcome Home"?
4. What is different about Andrea when Jean sees her in Shanghai?
5. What does the war in China seem to feature?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)