|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Communist coolies demand of Jean's family?
(a) All their yens.
(b) That they stay on the boat.
(c) Fifty cents per bag to carry their luggage.
(d) That they accompany them to Communist headquarters.
2. With whom will Jean's family stay while waiting to catch a ship?
(a) The Hulls.
(b) In a hotel.
(c) The Hus.
(d) The Wus.
3. What is different about Andrea when Jean sees her in Shanghai?
(a) She has adopted American fashion.
(b) She has new silk Chinese robes.
(c) She has dyed her hair red.
(d) She is wearing glasses.
4. What is Lin Nai-Nai's hometown?
5. Who are Mr. and Mrs. Hu?
(a) The next door neighbor to Jean's family.
(b) Friends of Jean's family.
(c) A Chinese family who wants to come to the United States.
(d) A family who adopts Millie.
6. Who are Margaret, Isobel and Nancy?
(a) The three American cooks who are on the ship.
(b) British girls.
(c) American friends of Jean's.
(d) Two British girls and one French girl.
7. What does Jean's family decide to do?
(a) Go to Beijing.
(b) Stick it out a little longer in Hankow.
(c) Leave Hankow.
(d) Go to Taiwan.
8. Who does Mrs. Gale insist upon bringing?
(a) Her parrots.
(b) Her cats.
(c) Her dogs.
(d) Her monkeys.
9. What kind of feeling does Jean have as they travel on the ship?
(b) Bad premonition.
(d) Great sadness.
10. Where is Jean's father?
(a) He is with Jean and her mother.
(b) He is staying in Hankow temporarily.
(c) He is in a car just behind Jean and her mother.
(d) He is already in Shanghai.
11. For what is Jean not yet old enough?
(a) To be allowed in the game room alone.
(b) To have wine with dinner.
(c) To sit at the Captain's table.
(d) To be interested in boys.
12. What do the coolies demand after the family goes a short distance?
(a) That the family wait at a seedy-looking building.
(b) More money.
(c) That the men in the group help carry the bags.
(d) Jean's father's watch.
13. What makes Jean think Yang Sze-Fu was not too bad?
(a) She sees him playing with her baby brother.
(b) He winks at her and smiles.
(c) She sees him laughing at a dog's antics.
(d) She sees him feeding the cat.
14. How does Jean's family get out of the predicament with the Communist coolies?
(a) Some British soldiers come along and get the coolies to move on.
(b) Some coolies who are loyal to Jean's family comes to their aid.
(c) Jean's father pays them the new sum.
(d) Jean's father calls for a government official.
15. What does Andrea badly miss about China?
(a) Her father who stays there.
(b) The food.
(c) The freedom she had.
(d) Her nanny.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in Wuchang?
2. Where will Jean's family catch a ship to go to the United States?
3. What did Jean and Andrea do at night on the ship?
4. What did the family do when crossing West Virginia?
5. What does the YMCA do during the siege of Lin Nai-Nai's hometown?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)