|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lin Nai-Nai's hometown?
2. According to Jean, what do wars seem to involve in history books?
(a) A great deal of hate.
(b) Much bloodshed.
(d) A good guy and a bad guy.
3. What does Lin Nai-Nai say the Communists are doing in her hometown?
(a) Helping the people to build good homes.
(b) Making the boys join their army.
(c) Giving the people food.
(d) Attacking it.
4. What happens in Wuchang?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A flood.
(c) Communist soldiers attack it.
(d) A serious flu epidemic.
5. How do Jean and Andrea categorize people?
(a) By their qualities or activities.
(b) By the foods they eat.
(c) By their accents.
(d) By their coloring.
6. What amazed Jean about stepping foot in America?
(a) That there was so few people in such a large city.
(b) That she did not feel any difference physically.
(c) That it was so difficult to get through customs.
(d) That the buildings looked the same as China.
7. How does Jean's family get out of the predicament with the Communist coolies?
(a) Jean's father pays them the new sum.
(b) Some coolies who are loyal to Jean's family comes to their aid.
(c) Jean's father calls for a government official.
(d) Some British soldiers come along and get the coolies to move on.
8. What does Jean realize when the big moment comes?
(a) That she does like Andrea's brother.
(b) That he is quitting because her mother wants him to.
(c) That she is in a different day from Lin Nai-Nai.
(d) That Jean would be glad to have a sibling.
9. What does Jean say about Yang Sze-Fu's politics?
(a) He is a Feudalist.
(b) He is a Communist.
(c) He wants to ignore the political situation.
10. What did Jean's father do with the sign in front of the bridge?
(a) Put it in the car.
(c) Moved it aside.
(d) Threw it in the river.
11. What does Andrea badly miss about China?
(a) The freedom she had.
(b) Her father who stays there.
(c) Her nanny.
(d) The food.
12. How long did it take Jean's family to reach Pennsylvania?
(a) Five days.
(b) A month.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Two weeks.
13. Where did the car get a flat tire?
(a) In the Ozark Mountains.
(b) In Virginia.
(c) In Nevada.
(d) In Oklahoma.
14. Who will take and care for Kurry the cat?
(a) The Wong's.
(b) The Wu's.
(c) The cook.
(d) The Hus.
15. What does Jean ask Lin Nai-Nai?
(a) If Lin Nai-Nai will come to the States with Jean's family.
(b) If Lin Nai-Nai is frightened of the political situation.
(c) If Lin Nai-Nai will return to her home.
(d) If Lin Nai-Nai is a Communist.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is Jean not yet old enough?
2. What does the YMCA do during the siege of Lin Nai-Nai's hometown?
3. How does Jean's mother get to the river?
4. What upsets Jean about her father's announcement about leaving for the States?
5. What does the war in China seem to feature?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)