|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jane's family want to go when they get downriver?
(a) The American embassy.
(b) The French consulate.
(c) The airport.
(d) The Dodge sedan the YMCA has waiting for them.
2. What fear of Jean's was subsiding as the days passed?
(a) That the Wu's would not be able to come to the United States.
(b) The fear they would not be leaving for the United States.
(c) That Lin Nai-Nai would not have a home.
(d) That Lin Nai-Nai would not be able to come with Jean's family to the United States.
3. What does Jean's grandmother tell Jean to do with the calendar she sent Jean?
(a) Cross off the days until the family is coming to the United States.
(b) She gives Jean no instructions.
(c) Look at the pictures on each month's page to learn more about the United States.
(d) Write something kind on each day and act that way.
4. Who does the car stop for on the way to the boat?
(a) The Hu family.
(b) Andrea and David.
(c) The Gale family.
(d) No one.
5. What do Jean and her mom hate about the animals Mrs. Gale brings?
(a) They have fleas.
(b) They are filthy.
(c) They bite.
(d) They look ill.
6. What does the YMCA do during the siege of Lin Nai-Nai's hometown?
(a) Give the Communists bribes to let food into the area.
(c) Try to negotiate with the Communists.
(d) Help in relief efforts.
7. How long did it take Jean's family to reach Pennsylvania?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) A month.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Five days.
8. What did Jean and her mother do while her father changed the flat tire?
(a) Wandered through a meadow.
(b) Sat in the car.
(c) Set up a picnic lunch.
(d) Sat on the side of the road.
9. Why are women and children being ordered out of Hankow?
(a) Because of the violence.
(b) They are not being ordered out of Hankow.
(c) Because of the famine.
(d) Because of the epidemic.
10. What makes Jean think Yang Sze-Fu was not too bad?
(a) He winks at her and smiles.
(b) She sees him playing with her baby brother.
(c) She sees him feeding the cat.
(d) She sees him laughing at a dog's antics.
11. What kind of game did Jean and Andrea play on the ship during the day?
(a) Miniature golf.
(d) Water volleyball.
12. Why does Jean become paranoid?
(a) She heard that the Communists were kidnapping American girls.
(b) She heard that much of the rice was tainted by the Communists.
(c) She heard that the Communists were shooting Westerners on sight.
(d) She is afraid the cook will poison their food.
13. Why did the customs officials check people's health?
(a) So they would not be sued for someone getting sick in America.
(b) To make sure they brought nothing that could cause an epidemic.
(c) To get them to a doctor is they needed it.
(d) They did not worry about a traveler's health.
14. Why does Lin Nai-Nai return to Jean's family in a terrible state of mind?
(a) Lin Nai-Nai's sister is dead.
(b) Lin Nai-Nai's father closed the door on her.
(c) Lin Nai-Nai's youngest brother is dead.
(d) Lin Nai-Nai's mother is dead.
15. What does Jean say about Yang Sze-Fu's politics?
(b) He is a Feudalist.
(c) He wants to ignore the political situation.
(d) He is a Communist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Margaret, Isobel and Nancy?
2. Who are Mr. and Mrs. Hu?
3. Where did the ship stop after about three weeks of travel?
4. With whom will Jean's family stay while waiting to catch a ship?
5. What does Jean's father do about the new demands by the Communist coolies?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)