|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who yells about the Americans being foreign devils?
(a) Some of the coolies who had once been friends.
(b) No one.
(c) The boy who Jean had befriended with the orange.
(d) The cook.
2. What did Jean and her mother do while her father changed the flat tire?
(a) Sat on the side of the road.
(b) Wandered through a meadow.
(c) Sat in the car.
(d) Set up a picnic lunch.
3. What was wrong with the bridge at which Jean's family arrived?
(a) It had one pillar missing.
(b) There was nothing wrong with the bridge.
(c) It was too narrow for their sedan.
(d) It had been condemned.
4. How does Jean's mother get to the river?
(a) A special coolie for invalids.
(b) On a stretcher.
(c) In an ambulance.
(d) She walks with the rest of the family.
5. What amazed Jean about stepping foot in America?
(a) That it was so difficult to get through customs.
(b) That there was so few people in such a large city.
(c) That she did not feel any difference physically.
(d) That the buildings looked the same as China.
6. What does Jean learn has closed?
(a) Any passage down the Yangtse River.
(b) All the YMCA's in China.
(c) Most of the major Chinese ports.
(d) Her British school.
7. How long is the boat ride from China to the United States for Jean's family?
(a) 12 days.
(b) 3 months.
(c) 4 weeks.
(d) 28 days.
8. Why is Lin Nai-Nai's hometown starving?
(a) There was a bad drought.
(b) There was a flood.
(c) There was a bad fire and the crops burned.
(d) The Communists are cutting off their food supply.
9. What happens in Wuchang?
(a) A serious flu epidemic.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) Communist soldiers attack it.
(d) A flood.
10. What is one faction in the war in China?
(a) The religious faction.
(b) The peasant faction.
(c) The Nationalist faction.
(d) The aristocratic faction.
11. What city is near Wuchang?
12. What does Jean realize when the big moment comes?
(a) That Jean would be glad to have a sibling.
(b) That she is in a different day from Lin Nai-Nai.
(c) That she does like Andrea's brother.
(d) That he is quitting because her mother wants him to.
13. Where did the ship stop after about three weeks of travel?
(a) The Hawaiian Islands.
(b) The Philippines.
14. With whom will Jean's family stay while waiting to catch a ship?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) The Hus.
(c) The Hulls.
(d) The Wus.
15. For what is Jean not yet old enough?
(a) To be allowed in the game room alone.
(b) To sit at the Captain's table.
(c) To be interested in boys.
(d) To have wine with dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the YMCA do during the siege of Lin Nai-Nai's hometown?
2. Why are women and children being ordered out of Hankow?
3. Why does Lin Nai-Nai return to Jean's family in a terrible state of mind?
4. How long did it take Jean's family to reach Pennsylvania?
5. How did Jean feel when they landed in San Francisco?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)