|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Gale insist upon bringing?
(a) Her monkeys.
(b) Her parrots.
(c) Her cats.
(d) Her dogs.
2. What did Jean and her mother do while her father changed the flat tire?
(a) Wandered through a meadow.
(b) Sat in the car.
(c) Set up a picnic lunch.
(d) Sat on the side of the road.
3. Where do Jean and her mother spend a week?
(a) At Jean's aunt's home.
(b) At a motel in San Francisco.
(c) At the Hulls.
(d) At a motel in Los Angeles.
4. What had happened with Andrea's parents?
(a) They were arrested.
(b) They divorced.
(c) They got separated in the war and have not found her father.
5. What does the war in China seem to feature?
(a) Not much emotion.
(b) Multiple sides.
(c) No clear cut winner.
(d) So much confusion.
6. Who yells about the Americans being foreign devils?
(a) No one.
(b) The boy who Jean had befriended with the orange.
(c) The cook.
(d) Some of the coolies who had once been friends.
7. What does the YMCA do during the siege of Lin Nai-Nai's hometown?
(a) Try to negotiate with the Communists.
(c) Give the Communists bribes to let food into the area.
(d) Help in relief efforts.
8. Why is Lin Nai-Nai's hometown starving?
(a) The Communists are cutting off their food supply.
(b) There was a bad fire and the crops burned.
(c) There was a flood.
(d) There was a bad drought.
9. How did Jean feel when her grandmother called out "Welcome Home"?
(a) That she wished they were staying at the farm.
(b) That she was finally home.
(c) That she had never been away from there.
(d) That it didn't feel like home.
10. What do Jean and her mom hate about the animals Mrs. Gale brings?
(a) They bite.
(b) They have fleas.
(c) They are filthy.
(d) They look ill.
11. Where did the car get a flat tire?
(a) In the Ozark Mountains.
(b) In Oklahoma.
(c) In Virginia.
(d) In Nevada.
12. What kind of game did Jean and Andrea play on the ship during the day?
(a) Water volleyball.
(c) Miniature golf.
13. What made the coolies dangerous?
(a) They had knives.
(b) Nothing; they were pretty inept.
(c) They had pistols.
(d) They outnumbered the Westerners by a large number.
14. What is confusing to Jean at the opening to Chapter 5?
(a) Why her father does not take the family out of China immediately.
(b) Why the Communists hate Westerners.
(c) The war in China.
(d) Lin Nai-Nai's father rejecting Lin Nai-Nai.
15. What does Andrea badly miss about China?
(a) The freedom she had.
(b) Her nanny.
(c) Her father who stays there.
(d) The food.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jean's family get out of the predicament with the Communist coolies?
2. What does Jean's grandmother tell Jean to do with the calendar she sent Jean?
3. What does Jean's father do about the new demands by the Communist coolies?
4. What kind of feeling does Jean have as they travel on the ship?
5. According to Jean, what do wars seem to involve in history books?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)