|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is the boat ride from China to the United States for Jean's family?
(a) 3 months.
(b) 12 days.
(c) 28 days.
(d) 4 weeks.
2. Who are Margaret, Isobel and Nancy?
(a) American friends of Jean's.
(b) The three American cooks who are on the ship.
(c) Two British girls and one French girl.
(d) British girls.
3. Where do Jean and her mother spend a week?
(a) At a motel in San Francisco.
(b) At a motel in Los Angeles.
(c) At the Hulls.
(d) At Jean's aunt's home.
4. Why is Jean so happy to hear about the closing?
(a) They might get to fly out of China.
(b) They might return to the United States.
(c) She no longer has to get up too early in the morning.
(d) The teacher Jean hates has returned to England.
5. Where did the car get a flat tire?
(a) In Oklahoma.
(b) In the Ozark Mountains.
(c) In Virginia.
(d) In Nevada.
6. Where did the ship stop after about three weeks of travel?
(a) The Philippines.
(d) The Hawaiian Islands.
7. Where did the Hulls go when they left San Francisco?
(a) Washington D.C.
(b) Los Angeles.
8. What do the Communist coolies demand of Jean's family?
(a) All their yens.
(b) That they stay on the boat.
(c) That they accompany them to Communist headquarters.
(d) Fifty cents per bag to carry their luggage.
9. What had happened with Andrea's parents?
(a) They got separated in the war and have not found her father.
(c) They were arrested.
(d) They divorced.
10. Why are women and children being ordered out of Hankow?
(a) They are not being ordered out of Hankow.
(b) Because of the violence.
(c) Because of the famine.
(d) Because of the epidemic.
11. What is one faction in the war in China?
(a) The aristocratic faction.
(b) The Nationalist faction.
(c) The religious faction.
(d) The peasant faction.
12. What does Jean's family decide to do?
(a) Stick it out a little longer in Hankow.
(b) Leave Hankow.
(c) Go to Taiwan.
(d) Go to Beijing.
13. What is Lin Nai-Nai's hometown?
14. How did Jean feel when her grandmother called out "Welcome Home"?
(a) That she wished they were staying at the farm.
(b) That she was finally home.
(c) That it didn't feel like home.
(d) That she had never been away from there.
15. Who yells about the Americans being foreign devils?
(a) Some of the coolies who had once been friends.
(b) The cook.
(c) The boy who Jean had befriended with the orange.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jane's family want to go when they get downriver?
2. What did Jean's father do with the sign in front of the bridge?
3. According to Jean, what do wars seem to involve in history books?
4. What does Jean learn has closed?
5. What makes Jean think Yang Sze-Fu was not too bad?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)