|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jean become paranoid?
(a) She heard that the Communists were kidnapping American girls.
(b) She heard that the Communists were shooting Westerners on sight.
(c) She is afraid the cook will poison their food.
(d) She heard that much of the rice was tainted by the Communists.
2. Why did the customs officials check people's health?
(a) To get them to a doctor is they needed it.
(b) They did not worry about a traveler's health.
(c) So they would not be sued for someone getting sick in America.
(d) To make sure they brought nothing that could cause an epidemic.
3. What do the Hus give Jean's family?
(a) A bolt of silk.
(b) A yellow Chinese jar.
(c) A set of robes.
(d) A book written in Chinese that is hundreds of years old.
4. Why are women and children being ordered out of Hankow?
(a) They are not being ordered out of Hankow.
(b) Because of the famine.
(c) Because of the violence.
(d) Because of the epidemic.
5. Who is going to be taking care of Lin Nai-Nai?
(a) The Christian missionaries.
(b) No one.
(c) The Hus.
(d) The YMCA.
6. How does Jean's family get out of the predicament with the Communist coolies?
(a) Some coolies who are loyal to Jean's family comes to their aid.
(b) Jean's father calls for a government official.
(c) Some British soldiers come along and get the coolies to move on.
(d) Jean's father pays them the new sum.
7. According to Jean, what do wars seem to involve in history books?
(a) Much bloodshed.
(b) A great deal of hate.
(c) A good guy and a bad guy.
8. Why does Lin Nai-Nai return to Jean's family in a terrible state of mind?
(a) Lin Nai-Nai's father closed the door on her.
(b) Lin Nai-Nai's sister is dead.
(c) Lin Nai-Nai's mother is dead.
(d) Lin Nai-Nai's youngest brother is dead.
9. Where did the Hulls go when they left San Francisco?
(a) Washington D.C.
(b) Los Angeles.
10. What other children are there of the same age as Andrea and Jean?
(a) About 4.
(b) Just one boy.
(d) Just one other girl.
11. What does the war in China seem to feature?
(a) No clear cut winner.
(b) So much confusion.
(c) Multiple sides.
(d) Not much emotion.
12. Why is Lin Nai-Nai's hometown starving?
(a) There was a bad fire and the crops burned.
(b) The Communists are cutting off their food supply.
(c) There was a flood.
(d) There was a bad drought.
13. How did Jean feel when they landed in San Francisco?
(a) She felt like she wanted to return to China.
(b) She was glad to get off the ship.
(c) She was an explorer like Columbus.
(d) Like she would never leave America again.
14. What do Jean and her mom hate about the animals Mrs. Gale brings?
(a) They have fleas.
(b) They are filthy.
(c) They bite.
(d) They look ill.
15. What happens in Wuchang?
(a) Communist soldiers attack it.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) A flood.
(d) A serious flu epidemic.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did it take Jean's family to reach Pennsylvania?
2. Who does Mrs. Gale insist upon bringing?
3. About what does Andrea complain?
4. What does Lin Nai-Nai say the Communists are doing in her hometown?
5. What made the coolies dangerous?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)