|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean ask Lin Nai-Nai?
(a) If Lin Nai-Nai will come to the States with Jean's family.
(b) If Lin Nai-Nai is a Communist.
(c) If Lin Nai-Nai will return to her home.
(d) If Lin Nai-Nai is frightened of the political situation.
2. Where will Jean's family catch a ship to go to the United States?
(a) Hong Kong.
3. Why does Lin Nai-Nai return to Jean's family in a terrible state of mind?
(a) Lin Nai-Nai's mother is dead.
(b) Lin Nai-Nai's father closed the door on her.
(c) Lin Nai-Nai's sister is dead.
(d) Lin Nai-Nai's youngest brother is dead.
4. Why did the customs officials check people's health?
(a) To get them to a doctor is they needed it.
(b) To make sure they brought nothing that could cause an epidemic.
(c) They did not worry about a traveler's health.
(d) So they would not be sued for someone getting sick in America.
5. How long did it take Jean's family to reach Pennsylvania?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Five days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) A month.
6. How long was Lin Nai-Nai under siege?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 4 months.
(d) 40 days.
7. What does Jean realize when the big moment comes?
(a) That she is in a different day from Lin Nai-Nai.
(b) That he is quitting because her mother wants him to.
(c) That Jean would be glad to have a sibling.
(d) That she does like Andrea's brother.
8. How did Jean feel when they landed in San Francisco?
(a) Like she would never leave America again.
(b) She was glad to get off the ship.
(c) She was an explorer like Columbus.
(d) She felt like she wanted to return to China.
9. How do Jean and Andrea categorize people?
(a) By their coloring.
(b) By the foods they eat.
(c) By their qualities or activities.
(d) By their accents.
10. What made the coolies dangerous?
(a) They had knives.
(b) They had pistols.
(c) Nothing; they were pretty inept.
(d) They outnumbered the Westerners by a large number.
11. What does Jean's grandmother tell Jean to do with the calendar she sent Jean?
(a) Write something kind on each day and act that way.
(b) Look at the pictures on each month's page to learn more about the United States.
(c) She gives Jean no instructions.
(d) Cross off the days until the family is coming to the United States.
12. What do the coolies demand after the family goes a short distance?
(a) That the men in the group help carry the bags.
(b) That the family wait at a seedy-looking building.
(c) More money.
(d) Jean's father's watch.
13. Who are Margaret, Isobel and Nancy?
(a) British girls.
(b) The three American cooks who are on the ship.
(c) Two British girls and one French girl.
(d) American friends of Jean's.
14. What is the name of the ship Jean's family is taking to the United States?
(a) President Lincoln.
(b) President Garfield.
(c) President Taft.
(d) President Roosevelt.
15. How did Jean feel when her grandmother called out "Welcome Home"?
(a) That she had never been away from there.
(b) That she was finally home.
(c) That she wished they were staying at the farm.
(d) That it didn't feel like home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jean and Andrea do at night on the ship?
2. What is one faction in the war in China?
3. Where does Jane's family want to go when they get downriver?
4. What do Jean and Lin Nai-Nai promise after exchanging gifts?
5. What does Jean's father do about the new demands by the Communist coolies?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)