|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lin Nai-Nai's hometown?
2. What does Jean ask Lin Nai-Nai?
(a) If Lin Nai-Nai is a Communist.
(b) If Lin Nai-Nai will come to the States with Jean's family.
(c) If Lin Nai-Nai is frightened of the political situation.
(d) If Lin Nai-Nai will return to her home.
3. What do the coolies demand after the family goes a short distance?
(a) Jean's father's watch.
(b) That the men in the group help carry the bags.
(c) More money.
(d) That the family wait at a seedy-looking building.
4. About what does Andrea complain?
(a) That their fathers are not on the boat.
(b) That Andrea's family is going to live with another family for a year before they go to Indonesia.
(c) That David got to stay in China with her father.
(d) That they are not able to flirt with boys.
5. What do Jean and her mom hate about the animals Mrs. Gale brings?
(a) They are filthy.
(b) They bite.
(c) They look ill.
(d) They have fleas.
6. Where do Jean and her mother spend a week?
(a) At Jean's aunt's home.
(b) At a motel in Los Angeles.
(c) At a motel in San Francisco.
(d) At the Hulls.
7. How long is the boat ride from China to the United States for Jean's family?
(a) 4 weeks.
(b) 12 days.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 28 days.
8. What do the Hus give Jean's family?
(a) A bolt of silk.
(b) A book written in Chinese that is hundreds of years old.
(c) A yellow Chinese jar.
(d) A set of robes.
9. Why is Lin Nai-Nai's hometown starving?
(a) There was a bad fire and the crops burned.
(b) The Communists are cutting off their food supply.
(c) There was a bad drought.
(d) There was a flood.
10. How did Jean feel when they landed in San Francisco?
(a) She was glad to get off the ship.
(b) Like she would never leave America again.
(c) She felt like she wanted to return to China.
(d) She was an explorer like Columbus.
11. What does Lin Nai-Nai say the Communists are doing in her hometown?
(a) Helping the people to build good homes.
(b) Making the boys join their army.
(c) Attacking it.
(d) Giving the people food.
12. According to Jean, what do wars seem to involve in history books?
(a) A great deal of hate.
(c) A good guy and a bad guy.
(d) Much bloodshed.
13. What do Jean and Lin Nai-Nai promise after exchanging gifts?
(a) That they would write each other.
(b) That they would not open them until Jean is on the ship.
(d) That they would work to get Lin Nai-Nai to the United States.
14. When did Jean think she would really feel she was in America?
(a) When they reached Hawaii.
(b) When she began school in America.
(c) When she was at her grandmother's house.
(d) When she stepped foot in California.
15. Who does the car stop for on the way to the boat?
(a) Andrea and David.
(b) No one.
(c) The Hu family.
(d) The Gale family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the customs officials check people's health?
2. What does Andrea badly miss about China?
3. What made the coolies dangerous?
4. What did Jean's father do with the sign in front of the bridge?
5. What city is near Wuchang?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)