|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the ship stop after about three weeks of travel?
(a) The Hawaiian Islands.
(d) The Philippines.
2. How did Jean feel when they landed in San Francisco?
(a) She felt like she wanted to return to China.
(b) Like she would never leave America again.
(c) She was an explorer like Columbus.
(d) She was glad to get off the ship.
3. What amazed Jean about stepping foot in America?
(a) That the buildings looked the same as China.
(b) That she did not feel any difference physically.
(c) That there was so few people in such a large city.
(d) That it was so difficult to get through customs.
4. What does Jean say about Yang Sze-Fu's politics?
(a) He wants to ignore the political situation.
(b) He is a Communist.
(d) He is a Feudalist.
5. What does Jean learn has closed?
(a) Any passage down the Yangtse River.
(b) Her British school.
(c) All the YMCA's in China.
(d) Most of the major Chinese ports.
6. Why is Lin Nai-Nai's hometown starving?
(a) There was a bad drought.
(b) The Communists are cutting off their food supply.
(c) There was a bad fire and the crops burned.
(d) There was a flood.
7. What do the coolies demand after the family goes a short distance?
(a) That the men in the group help carry the bags.
(b) More money.
(c) That the family wait at a seedy-looking building.
(d) Jean's father's watch.
8. What is the name of the ship Jean's family is taking to the United States?
(a) President Roosevelt.
(b) President Taft.
(c) President Garfield.
(d) President Lincoln.
9. What does the YMCA do during the siege of Lin Nai-Nai's hometown?
(a) Help in relief efforts.
(b) Give the Communists bribes to let food into the area.
(d) Try to negotiate with the Communists.
10. What does Jean's father do about the new demands by the Communist coolies?
(b) Ask to speak to their supervisor.
(c) Almost come to blows over it.
(d) Shoot one of the coolies.
11. Why is Jean so happy to hear about the closing?
(a) They might get to fly out of China.
(b) The teacher Jean hates has returned to England.
(c) She no longer has to get up too early in the morning.
(d) They might return to the United States.
12. With whom will Jean's family stay while waiting to catch a ship?
(a) The Hus.
(b) The Wus.
(c) In a hotel.
(d) The Hulls.
13. How long is the boat ride from China to the United States for Jean's family?
(a) 28 days.
(b) 12 days.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 4 weeks.
14. What other children are there of the same age as Andrea and Jean?
(a) Just one boy.
(c) Just one other girl.
(d) About 4.
15. What do Jean and her mom hate about the animals Mrs. Gale brings?
(a) They bite.
(b) They have fleas.
(c) They look ill.
(d) They are filthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was Lin Nai-Nai under siege?
2. How does Jean's mother get to the river?
3. What was wrong with the bridge at which Jean's family arrived?
4. For what is Jean not yet old enough?
5. What is different about Andrea when Jean sees her in Shanghai?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)