|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What upsets Jean about her father's announcement about leaving for the States?
(a) He says he is staying in China.
(b) He says he is hoping to be sent to Japan from China.
(c) He says he is hoping things will settle down so they can stay in China.
(d) He says their departure may be delayed.
2. What kind of feeling does Jean have as they travel on the ship?
(a) Bad premonition.
(c) Great sadness.
3. Why is Jean so happy to hear about the closing?
(a) The teacher Jean hates has returned to England.
(b) They might get to fly out of China.
(c) They might return to the United States.
(d) She no longer has to get up too early in the morning.
4. How long was Lin Nai-Nai under siege?
(a) 4 months.
(b) 40 days.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 1 year.
5. How do Jean and Andrea categorize people?
(a) By the foods they eat.
(b) By their qualities or activities.
(c) By their accents.
(d) By their coloring.
6. What do the Hus give Jean's family?
(a) A set of robes.
(b) A book written in Chinese that is hundreds of years old.
(c) A yellow Chinese jar.
(d) A bolt of silk.
7. What did Jean and her mother do while her father changed the flat tire?
(a) Set up a picnic lunch.
(b) Sat on the side of the road.
(c) Sat in the car.
(d) Wandered through a meadow.
8. What does Jean learn has closed?
(a) Most of the major Chinese ports.
(b) Any passage down the Yangtse River.
(c) Her British school.
(d) All the YMCA's in China.
9. What does Jean's grandmother tell Jean to do with the calendar she sent Jean?
(a) Cross off the days until the family is coming to the United States.
(b) She gives Jean no instructions.
(c) Look at the pictures on each month's page to learn more about the United States.
(d) Write something kind on each day and act that way.
10. What does Jean realize when the big moment comes?
(a) That she is in a different day from Lin Nai-Nai.
(b) That he is quitting because her mother wants him to.
(c) That she does like Andrea's brother.
(d) That Jean would be glad to have a sibling.
11. How did Jean feel when they landed in San Francisco?
(a) She was an explorer like Columbus.
(b) She felt like she wanted to return to China.
(c) She was glad to get off the ship.
(d) Like she would never leave America again.
12. What makes Jean think Yang Sze-Fu was not too bad?
(a) She sees him feeding the cat.
(b) She sees him laughing at a dog's antics.
(c) He winks at her and smiles.
(d) She sees him playing with her baby brother.
13. What made the coolies dangerous?
(a) They had knives.
(b) They had pistols.
(c) Nothing; they were pretty inept.
(d) They outnumbered the Westerners by a large number.
14. How does Jean's mother get to the river?
(a) A special coolie for invalids.
(b) In an ambulance.
(c) She walks with the rest of the family.
(d) On a stretcher.
15. What does the war in China seem to feature?
(a) No clear cut winner.
(b) Multiple sides.
(c) Not much emotion.
(d) So much confusion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was wrong with the bridge at which Jean's family arrived?
2. What kind of game did Jean and Andrea play on the ship during the day?
3. Why are women and children being ordered out of Hankow?
4. When did Jean think she would really feel she was in America?
5. Why does Jean become paranoid?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)