|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What other children are there of the same age as Andrea and Jean?
(b) Just one boy.
(c) About 4.
(d) Just one other girl.
2. What did Jean and her mother do while her father changed the flat tire?
(a) Set up a picnic lunch.
(b) Sat on the side of the road.
(c) Wandered through a meadow.
(d) Sat in the car.
3. What fear of Jean's was subsiding as the days passed?
(a) The fear they would not be leaving for the United States.
(b) That Lin Nai-Nai would not be able to come with Jean's family to the United States.
(c) That Lin Nai-Nai would not have a home.
(d) That the Wu's would not be able to come to the United States.
4. What does Jean's grandmother tell Jean to do with the calendar she sent Jean?
(a) Look at the pictures on each month's page to learn more about the United States.
(b) Write something kind on each day and act that way.
(c) She gives Jean no instructions.
(d) Cross off the days until the family is coming to the United States.
5. What amazed Jean about stepping foot in America?
(a) That the buildings looked the same as China.
(b) That she did not feel any difference physically.
(c) That it was so difficult to get through customs.
(d) That there was so few people in such a large city.
6. What is one faction in the war in China?
(a) The aristocratic faction.
(b) The religious faction.
(c) The peasant faction.
(d) The Nationalist faction.
7. What is confusing to Jean at the opening to Chapter 5?
(a) Lin Nai-Nai's father rejecting Lin Nai-Nai.
(b) The war in China.
(c) Why the Communists hate Westerners.
(d) Why her father does not take the family out of China immediately.
8. What is different about Andrea when Jean sees her in Shanghai?
(a) She is wearing glasses.
(b) She has new silk Chinese robes.
(c) She has adopted American fashion.
(d) She has dyed her hair red.
9. Why did the customs officials check people's health?
(a) They did not worry about a traveler's health.
(b) To make sure they brought nothing that could cause an epidemic.
(c) So they would not be sued for someone getting sick in America.
(d) To get them to a doctor is they needed it.
10. With whom will Jean's family stay while waiting to catch a ship?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) The Hus.
(c) The Wus.
(d) The Hulls.
11. How do Jean and Andrea categorize people?
(a) By their accents.
(b) By their coloring.
(c) By the foods they eat.
(d) By their qualities or activities.
12. What does the YMCA do during the siege of Lin Nai-Nai's hometown?
(b) Give the Communists bribes to let food into the area.
(c) Try to negotiate with the Communists.
(d) Help in relief efforts.
13. According to Jean, what do wars seem to involve in history books?
(b) Much bloodshed.
(c) A great deal of hate.
(d) A good guy and a bad guy.
14. What does Jean's father do about the new demands by the Communist coolies?
(a) Ask to speak to their supervisor.
(b) Shoot one of the coolies.
(c) Almost come to blows over it.
15. What does Lin Nai-Nai say the Communists are doing in her hometown?
(a) Attacking it.
(b) Helping the people to build good homes.
(c) Making the boys join their army.
(d) Giving the people food.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jean so happy to hear about the closing?
2. Where did the car get a flat tire?
3. What is Lin Nai-Nai's hometown?
4. What did the family do when crossing West Virginia?
5. Where does Jane's family want to go when they get downriver?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)