|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What other children are there of the same age as Andrea and Jean?
(b) Just one other girl.
(c) Just one boy.
(d) About 4.
2. What does Jean's grandmother tell Jean to do with the calendar she sent Jean?
(a) Write something kind on each day and act that way.
(b) Cross off the days until the family is coming to the United States.
(c) She gives Jean no instructions.
(d) Look at the pictures on each month's page to learn more about the United States.
3. What upsets Jean about her father's announcement about leaving for the States?
(a) He says their departure may be delayed.
(b) He says he is staying in China.
(c) He says he is hoping to be sent to Japan from China.
(d) He says he is hoping things will settle down so they can stay in China.
4. What is the name of the ship Jean's family is taking to the United States?
(a) President Lincoln.
(b) President Roosevelt.
(c) President Taft.
(d) President Garfield.
5. What do the coolies demand after the family goes a short distance?
(a) More money.
(b) That the men in the group help carry the bags.
(c) That the family wait at a seedy-looking building.
(d) Jean's father's watch.
6. Where is Jean's father?
(a) He is staying in Hankow temporarily.
(b) He is in a car just behind Jean and her mother.
(c) He is with Jean and her mother.
(d) He is already in Shanghai.
7. Where did the Hulls go when they left San Francisco?
(a) Los Angeles.
(c) Washington D.C.
8. Where will Jean's family catch a ship to go to the United States?
(d) Hong Kong.
9. What kind of feeling does Jean have as they travel on the ship?
(b) Bad premonition.
(c) Great sadness.
10. Who does the car stop for on the way to the boat?
(a) No one.
(b) The Gale family.
(c) The Hu family.
(d) Andrea and David.
11. What is Lin Nai-Nai's hometown?
12. Why is Jean so happy to hear about the closing?
(a) They might return to the United States.
(b) She no longer has to get up too early in the morning.
(c) They might get to fly out of China.
(d) The teacher Jean hates has returned to England.
13. What does Jean learn has closed?
(a) All the YMCA's in China.
(b) Most of the major Chinese ports.
(c) Her British school.
(d) Any passage down the Yangtse River.
14. Who are Mr. and Mrs. Hu?
(a) The next door neighbor to Jean's family.
(b) A Chinese family who wants to come to the United States.
(c) A family who adopts Millie.
(d) Friends of Jean's family.
15. What do the Hus give Jean's family?
(a) A set of robes.
(b) A yellow Chinese jar.
(c) A book written in Chinese that is hundreds of years old.
(d) A bolt of silk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the war in China seem to feature?
2. Where did the car get a flat tire?
3. What did the family do when crossing West Virginia?
4. Where did the ship stop after about three weeks of travel?
5. What do the Communist coolies demand of Jean's family?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)