|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Hus give Jean's family?
(a) A book written in Chinese that is hundreds of years old.
(b) A set of robes.
(c) A yellow Chinese jar.
(d) A bolt of silk.
2. Where is Jean's father?
(a) He is in a car just behind Jean and her mother.
(b) He is with Jean and her mother.
(c) He is already in Shanghai.
(d) He is staying in Hankow temporarily.
3. Where do Jean and her mother spend a week?
(a) At a motel in Los Angeles.
(b) At a motel in San Francisco.
(c) At Jean's aunt's home.
(d) At the Hulls.
4. When did Jean think she would really feel she was in America?
(a) When she stepped foot in California.
(b) When she began school in America.
(c) When they reached Hawaii.
(d) When she was at her grandmother's house.
5. What city is near Wuchang?
6. How did Jean feel when her grandmother called out "Welcome Home"?
(a) That it didn't feel like home.
(b) That she was finally home.
(c) That she had never been away from there.
(d) That she wished they were staying at the farm.
7. How did Jean feel when they landed in San Francisco?
(a) She was glad to get off the ship.
(b) She felt like she wanted to return to China.
(c) She was an explorer like Columbus.
(d) Like she would never leave America again.
8. What makes Jean think Yang Sze-Fu was not too bad?
(a) She sees him playing with her baby brother.
(b) He winks at her and smiles.
(c) She sees him feeding the cat.
(d) She sees him laughing at a dog's antics.
9. Why does Jean become paranoid?
(a) She is afraid the cook will poison their food.
(b) She heard that much of the rice was tainted by the Communists.
(c) She heard that the Communists were kidnapping American girls.
(d) She heard that the Communists were shooting Westerners on sight.
10. Where did the ship stop after about three weeks of travel?
(b) The Hawaiian Islands.
(d) The Philippines.
11. Where will Jean's family catch a ship to go to the United States?
(c) Hong Kong.
12. Why are women and children being ordered out of Hankow?
(a) Because of the violence.
(b) Because of the famine.
(c) Because of the epidemic.
(d) They are not being ordered out of Hankow.
13. What amazed Jean about stepping foot in America?
(a) That there was so few people in such a large city.
(b) That she did not feel any difference physically.
(c) That it was so difficult to get through customs.
(d) That the buildings looked the same as China.
14. What do Jean and her mom hate about the animals Mrs. Gale brings?
(a) They bite.
(b) They are filthy.
(c) They look ill.
(d) They have fleas.
15. What kind of game did Jean and Andrea play on the ship during the day?
(a) Water volleyball.
(b) Miniature golf.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Communist coolies demand of Jean's family?
2. What was wrong with the bridge at which Jean's family arrived?
3. What does Jean's family decide to do?
4. Who are Margaret, Isobel and Nancy?
5. What other children are there of the same age as Andrea and Jean?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)