|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the war in China seem to feature?
(a) Not much emotion.
(b) No clear cut winner.
(c) Multiple sides.
(d) So much confusion.
2. What does Jean say about Yang Sze-Fu's politics?
(a) He is a Communist.
(c) He wants to ignore the political situation.
(d) He is a Feudalist.
3. Why does Lin Nai-Nai return to Jean's family in a terrible state of mind?
(a) Lin Nai-Nai's mother is dead.
(b) Lin Nai-Nai's father closed the door on her.
(c) Lin Nai-Nai's youngest brother is dead.
(d) Lin Nai-Nai's sister is dead.
4. How does Jean's family get out of the predicament with the Communist coolies?
(a) Jean's father calls for a government official.
(b) Some British soldiers come along and get the coolies to move on.
(c) Some coolies who are loyal to Jean's family comes to their aid.
(d) Jean's father pays them the new sum.
5. Where does Jane's family want to go when they get downriver?
(a) The American embassy.
(b) The Dodge sedan the YMCA has waiting for them.
(c) The airport.
(d) The French consulate.
6. What kind of feeling does Jean have as they travel on the ship?
(a) Great sadness.
(d) Bad premonition.
7. How long was Lin Nai-Nai under siege?
(a) 40 days.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 4 months.
8. Why does Jean become paranoid?
(a) She heard that the Communists were kidnapping American girls.
(b) She heard that much of the rice was tainted by the Communists.
(c) She heard that the Communists were shooting Westerners on sight.
(d) She is afraid the cook will poison their food.
9. What was wrong with the bridge at which Jean's family arrived?
(a) It had one pillar missing.
(b) There was nothing wrong with the bridge.
(c) It had been condemned.
(d) It was too narrow for their sedan.
10. What did the family do when crossing West Virginia?
(a) Picked up a hitchhiker.
(b) Rented a cabin for two nights.
(c) Called Jean's grandmother.
(d) Stopped and shopped at a farmer's market.
11. What does Jean's family decide to do?
(a) Go to Taiwan.
(b) Go to Beijing.
(c) Stick it out a little longer in Hankow.
(d) Leave Hankow.
12. What makes Jean think Yang Sze-Fu was not too bad?
(a) She sees him feeding the cat.
(b) She sees him playing with her baby brother.
(c) He winks at her and smiles.
(d) She sees him laughing at a dog's antics.
13. What made the coolies dangerous?
(a) Nothing; they were pretty inept.
(b) They outnumbered the Westerners by a large number.
(c) They had pistols.
(d) They had knives.
14. How long did it take Jean's family to reach Pennsylvania?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) A month.
(c) Five days.
(d) Three weeks.
15. What do the coolies demand after the family goes a short distance?
(a) More money.
(b) That the family wait at a seedy-looking building.
(c) That the men in the group help carry the bags.
(d) Jean's father's watch.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Gale insist upon bringing?
2. How does Jean's mother get to the river?
3. Where did the ship stop after about three weeks of travel?
4. When did Jean think she would really feel she was in America?
5. With whom will Jean's family stay while waiting to catch a ship?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)