|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was wrong with the bridge at which Jean's family arrived?
(a) It had one pillar missing.
(b) It had been condemned.
(c) There was nothing wrong with the bridge.
(d) It was too narrow for their sedan.
2. According to Jean, what do wars seem to involve in history books?
(b) A good guy and a bad guy.
(c) A great deal of hate.
(d) Much bloodshed.
3. Who does Mrs. Gale insist upon bringing?
(a) Her parrots.
(b) Her monkeys.
(c) Her cats.
(d) Her dogs.
4. Who is going to be taking care of Lin Nai-Nai?
(a) No one.
(b) The YMCA.
(c) The Christian missionaries.
(d) The Hus.
5. What is one faction in the war in China?
(a) The religious faction.
(b) The aristocratic faction.
(c) The Nationalist faction.
(d) The peasant faction.
6. What does the war in China seem to feature?
(a) Not much emotion.
(b) So much confusion.
(c) No clear cut winner.
(d) Multiple sides.
7. What kind of feeling does Jean have as they travel on the ship?
(c) Great sadness.
(d) Bad premonition.
8. Where does Jane's family want to go when they get downriver?
(a) The airport.
(b) The Dodge sedan the YMCA has waiting for them.
(c) The American embassy.
(d) The French consulate.
9. What city is near Wuchang?
10. About what does Andrea complain?
(a) That they are not able to flirt with boys.
(b) That David got to stay in China with her father.
(c) That Andrea's family is going to live with another family for a year before they go to Indonesia.
(d) That their fathers are not on the boat.
11. Who are Mr. and Mrs. Hu?
(a) A Chinese family who wants to come to the United States.
(b) Friends of Jean's family.
(c) A family who adopts Millie.
(d) The next door neighbor to Jean's family.
12. What did Jean's father do with the sign in front of the bridge?
(b) Put it in the car.
(c) Threw it in the river.
(d) Moved it aside.
13. How did Jean feel when they landed in San Francisco?
(a) She was an explorer like Columbus.
(b) She felt like she wanted to return to China.
(c) Like she would never leave America again.
(d) She was glad to get off the ship.
14. How does Jean's mother get to the river?
(a) She walks with the rest of the family.
(b) On a stretcher.
(c) A special coolie for invalids.
(d) In an ambulance.
15. What does Jean say about Yang Sze-Fu's politics?
(a) He is a Feudalist.
(c) He wants to ignore the political situation.
(d) He is a Communist.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did it take Jean's family to reach Pennsylvania?
2. Who yells about the Americans being foreign devils?
3. Why does Lin Nai-Nai return to Jean's family in a terrible state of mind?
4. What other children are there of the same age as Andrea and Jean?
5. What did Jean and Andrea do at night on the ship?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)