|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Jean so happy to hear about the closing?
(a) They might return to the United States.
(b) The teacher Jean hates has returned to England.
(c) They might get to fly out of China.
(d) She no longer has to get up too early in the morning.
2. What other children are there of the same age as Andrea and Jean?
(a) Just one boy.
(c) Just one other girl.
(d) About 4.
3. What did the family do when crossing West Virginia?
(a) Stopped and shopped at a farmer's market.
(b) Called Jean's grandmother.
(c) Picked up a hitchhiker.
(d) Rented a cabin for two nights.
4. Why does Lin Nai-Nai return to Jean's family in a terrible state of mind?
(a) Lin Nai-Nai's sister is dead.
(b) Lin Nai-Nai's father closed the door on her.
(c) Lin Nai-Nai's youngest brother is dead.
(d) Lin Nai-Nai's mother is dead.
5. Where did the Hulls go when they left San Francisco?
(a) Los Angeles.
(b) Washington D.C.
6. What do the Communist coolies demand of Jean's family?
(a) That they stay on the boat.
(b) All their yens.
(c) Fifty cents per bag to carry their luggage.
(d) That they accompany them to Communist headquarters.
7. About what does Andrea complain?
(a) That their fathers are not on the boat.
(b) That Andrea's family is going to live with another family for a year before they go to Indonesia.
(c) That David got to stay in China with her father.
(d) That they are not able to flirt with boys.
8. Where do Jean and her mother spend a week?
(a) At the Hulls.
(b) At a motel in San Francisco.
(c) At a motel in Los Angeles.
(d) At Jean's aunt's home.
9. What fear of Jean's was subsiding as the days passed?
(a) The fear they would not be leaving for the United States.
(b) That the Wu's would not be able to come to the United States.
(c) That Lin Nai-Nai would not have a home.
(d) That Lin Nai-Nai would not be able to come with Jean's family to the United States.
10. With whom will Jean's family stay while waiting to catch a ship?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) The Hus.
(c) The Wus.
(d) The Hulls.
11. What is one faction in the war in China?
(a) The religious faction.
(b) The Nationalist faction.
(c) The aristocratic faction.
(d) The peasant faction.
12. Who does the car stop for on the way to the boat?
(a) The Hu family.
(b) The Gale family.
(c) Andrea and David.
(d) No one.
13. Why are women and children being ordered out of Hankow?
(a) Because of the violence.
(b) Because of the epidemic.
(c) Because of the famine.
(d) They are not being ordered out of Hankow.
14. For what is Jean not yet old enough?
(a) To be interested in boys.
(b) To have wine with dinner.
(c) To be allowed in the game room alone.
(d) To sit at the Captain's table.
15. What is Lin Nai-Nai's hometown?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jean and Lin Nai-Nai promise after exchanging gifts?
2. What is different about Andrea when Jean sees her in Shanghai?
3. Why is Lin Nai-Nai's hometown starving?
4. What is the name of the ship Jean's family is taking to the United States?
5. How did Jean feel when her grandmother called out "Welcome Home"?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)