|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jane's family want to go when they get downriver?
(a) The Dodge sedan the YMCA has waiting for them.
(b) The American embassy.
(c) The airport.
(d) The French consulate.
2. What did Jean's father do with the sign in front of the bridge?
(b) Moved it aside.
(c) Put it in the car.
(d) Threw it in the river.
3. Who yells about the Americans being foreign devils?
(a) No one.
(b) The boy who Jean had befriended with the orange.
(c) Some of the coolies who had once been friends.
(d) The cook.
4. What is the name of the ship Jean's family is taking to the United States?
(a) President Roosevelt.
(b) President Garfield.
(c) President Lincoln.
(d) President Taft.
5. Who is going to be taking care of Lin Nai-Nai?
(a) No one.
(b) The Christian missionaries.
(c) The Hus.
(d) The YMCA.
6. Where did the Hulls go when they left San Francisco?
(a) Los Angeles.
(d) Washington D.C.
7. What do Jean and her mom hate about the animals Mrs. Gale brings?
(a) They bite.
(b) They have fleas.
(c) They look ill.
(d) They are filthy.
8. What does Jean ask Lin Nai-Nai?
(a) If Lin Nai-Nai is a Communist.
(b) If Lin Nai-Nai is frightened of the political situation.
(c) If Lin Nai-Nai will come to the States with Jean's family.
(d) If Lin Nai-Nai will return to her home.
9. What does Jean's family decide to do?
(a) Stick it out a little longer in Hankow.
(b) Leave Hankow.
(c) Go to Beijing.
(d) Go to Taiwan.
10. What does Jean's grandmother tell Jean to do with the calendar she sent Jean?
(a) Cross off the days until the family is coming to the United States.
(b) Write something kind on each day and act that way.
(c) She gives Jean no instructions.
(d) Look at the pictures on each month's page to learn more about the United States.
11. Where is Jean's father?
(a) He is with Jean and her mother.
(b) He is staying in Hankow temporarily.
(c) He is already in Shanghai.
(d) He is in a car just behind Jean and her mother.
12. How did Jean feel when her grandmother called out "Welcome Home"?
(a) That she had never been away from there.
(b) That she wished they were staying at the farm.
(c) That she was finally home.
(d) That it didn't feel like home.
13. What makes Jean think Yang Sze-Fu was not too bad?
(a) She sees him feeding the cat.
(b) She sees him playing with her baby brother.
(c) He winks at her and smiles.
(d) She sees him laughing at a dog's antics.
14. What kind of game did Jean and Andrea play on the ship during the day?
(a) Miniature golf.
(b) Water volleyball.
15. What other children are there of the same age as Andrea and Jean?
(b) About 4.
(c) Just one boy.
(d) Just one other girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Margaret, Isobel and Nancy?
2. Where will Jean's family catch a ship to go to the United States?
3. Who does the car stop for on the way to the boat?
4. Why did the customs officials check people's health?
5. When did Jean think she would really feel she was in America?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)