|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is going to be taking care of Lin Nai-Nai?
(a) No one.
(b) The Christian missionaries.
(c) The YMCA.
(d) The Hus.
2. Where will Jean's family catch a ship to go to the United States?
(b) Hong Kong.
3. What does Jean say about Yang Sze-Fu's politics?
(a) He is a Communist.
(b) He is a Feudalist.
(c) He wants to ignore the political situation.
4. Who does Jean see at the docks?
(a) Andrea and David.
(b) Lin Nai-Nai.
(c) The cook who she used to fear.
(d) The boy she had befriended with the orange.
5. What is the name of the ship Jean's family is taking to the United States?
(a) President Taft.
(b) President Roosevelt.
(c) President Garfield.
(d) President Lincoln.
6. Who does Mrs. Gale insist upon bringing?
(a) Her parrots.
(b) Her dogs.
(c) Her monkeys.
(d) Her cats.
7. How do Jean and Andrea categorize people?
(a) By the foods they eat.
(b) By their coloring.
(c) By their accents.
(d) By their qualities or activities.
8. When did Jean think she would really feel she was in America?
(a) When she stepped foot in California.
(b) When she was at her grandmother's house.
(c) When she began school in America.
(d) When they reached Hawaii.
9. What did the family do when crossing West Virginia?
(a) Picked up a hitchhiker.
(b) Rented a cabin for two nights.
(c) Stopped and shopped at a farmer's market.
(d) Called Jean's grandmother.
10. What kind of game did Jean and Andrea play on the ship during the day?
(a) Water volleyball.
(d) Miniature golf.
11. What makes Jean think Yang Sze-Fu was not too bad?
(a) She sees him laughing at a dog's antics.
(b) He winks at her and smiles.
(c) She sees him playing with her baby brother.
(d) She sees him feeding the cat.
12. Why are women and children being ordered out of Hankow?
(a) Because of the famine.
(b) Because of the violence.
(c) Because of the epidemic.
(d) They are not being ordered out of Hankow.
13. What is one faction in the war in China?
(a) The peasant faction.
(b) The aristocratic faction.
(c) The Nationalist faction.
(d) The religious faction.
14. How does Jean's mother get to the river?
(a) In an ambulance.
(b) She walks with the rest of the family.
(c) A special coolie for invalids.
(d) On a stretcher.
15. What does the war in China seem to feature?
(a) Multiple sides.
(b) Not much emotion.
(c) No clear cut winner.
(d) So much confusion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the car stop for on the way to the boat?
2. Who are Margaret, Isobel and Nancy?
3. How long is the boat ride from China to the United States for Jean's family?
4. What does the YMCA do during the siege of Lin Nai-Nai's hometown?
5. What do the Hus give Jean's family?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)