|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What made the coolies dangerous?
(a) They outnumbered the Westerners by a large number.
(b) Nothing; they were pretty inept.
(c) They had knives.
(d) They had pistols.
2. Who will take and care for Kurry the cat?
(a) The Wu's.
(b) The Wong's.
(c) The Hus.
(d) The cook.
3. What is a big moment for Jean on the ship?
(a) When Jean's mother announces that she is again pregnant.
(b) When Andrea's brother flirts with her.
(c) When her father tells them he is quitting the YMCA and they will settle in New York.
(d) When it crosses the international date line.
4. Who does Mrs. Gale insist upon bringing?
(a) Her dogs.
(b) Her monkeys.
(c) Her parrots.
(d) Her cats.
5. What makes Jean think Yang Sze-Fu was not too bad?
(a) He winks at her and smiles.
(b) She sees him playing with her baby brother.
(c) She sees him laughing at a dog's antics.
(d) She sees him feeding the cat.
6. What had happened with Andrea's parents?
(a) They were arrested.
(b) They divorced.
(c) They got separated in the war and have not found her father.
7. What do the Communist coolies demand of Jean's family?
(a) Fifty cents per bag to carry their luggage.
(b) That they accompany them to Communist headquarters.
(c) That they stay on the boat.
(d) All their yens.
8. What does Jean learn has closed?
(a) Most of the major Chinese ports.
(b) Any passage down the Yangtse River.
(c) All the YMCA's in China.
(d) Her British school.
9. Why did the customs officials check people's health?
(a) To make sure they brought nothing that could cause an epidemic.
(b) So they would not be sued for someone getting sick in America.
(c) They did not worry about a traveler's health.
(d) To get them to a doctor is they needed it.
10. Why are women and children being ordered out of Hankow?
(a) Because of the violence.
(b) They are not being ordered out of Hankow.
(c) Because of the famine.
(d) Because of the epidemic.
11. About what does Andrea complain?
(a) That they are not able to flirt with boys.
(b) That Andrea's family is going to live with another family for a year before they go to Indonesia.
(c) That their fathers are not on the boat.
(d) That David got to stay in China with her father.
12. Where did the ship stop after about three weeks of travel?
(b) The Philippines.
(d) The Hawaiian Islands.
13. What happens in Wuchang?
(a) A flood.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) A serious flu epidemic.
(d) Communist soldiers attack it.
14. What fear of Jean's was subsiding as the days passed?
(a) That Lin Nai-Nai would not have a home.
(b) That the Wu's would not be able to come to the United States.
(c) That Lin Nai-Nai would not be able to come with Jean's family to the United States.
(d) The fear they would not be leaving for the United States.
15. What do Jean and her mom hate about the animals Mrs. Gale brings?
(a) They look ill.
(b) They bite.
(c) They have fleas.
(d) They are filthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom will Jean's family stay while waiting to catch a ship?
2. What does Lin Nai-Nai say the Communists are doing in her hometown?
3. What do the coolies demand after the family goes a short distance?
4. What did Jean and Andrea do at night on the ship?
5. How do Jean and Andrea categorize people?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)