|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who will take and care for Kurry the cat?
(a) The Wong's.
(b) The cook.
(c) The Wu's.
(d) The Hus.
2. Where did the car get a flat tire?
(a) In Oklahoma.
(b) In Nevada.
(c) In the Ozark Mountains.
(d) In Virginia.
3. Why does Lin Nai-Nai return to Jean's family in a terrible state of mind?
(a) Lin Nai-Nai's father closed the door on her.
(b) Lin Nai-Nai's sister is dead.
(c) Lin Nai-Nai's youngest brother is dead.
(d) Lin Nai-Nai's mother is dead.
4. How long is the boat ride from China to the United States for Jean's family?
(a) 28 days.
(b) 12 days.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 4 weeks.
5. What amazed Jean about stepping foot in America?
(a) That there was so few people in such a large city.
(b) That it was so difficult to get through customs.
(c) That the buildings looked the same as China.
(d) That she did not feel any difference physically.
6. What does Jean realize when the big moment comes?
(a) That she is in a different day from Lin Nai-Nai.
(b) That he is quitting because her mother wants him to.
(c) That she does like Andrea's brother.
(d) That Jean would be glad to have a sibling.
7. Why does Jean become paranoid?
(a) She heard that the Communists were shooting Westerners on sight.
(b) She heard that the Communists were kidnapping American girls.
(c) She heard that much of the rice was tainted by the Communists.
(d) She is afraid the cook will poison their food.
8. According to Jean, what do wars seem to involve in history books?
(a) A great deal of hate.
(c) A good guy and a bad guy.
(d) Much bloodshed.
9. What does Jean's father do about the new demands by the Communist coolies?
(a) Shoot one of the coolies.
(c) Almost come to blows over it.
(d) Ask to speak to their supervisor.
10. What made the coolies dangerous?
(a) They had knives.
(b) Nothing; they were pretty inept.
(c) They outnumbered the Westerners by a large number.
(d) They had pistols.
11. What fear of Jean's was subsiding as the days passed?
(a) That Lin Nai-Nai would not be able to come with Jean's family to the United States.
(b) The fear they would not be leaving for the United States.
(c) That Lin Nai-Nai would not have a home.
(d) That the Wu's would not be able to come to the United States.
12. What does Lin Nai-Nai say the Communists are doing in her hometown?
(a) Giving the people food.
(b) Making the boys join their army.
(c) Attacking it.
(d) Helping the people to build good homes.
13. What do the coolies demand after the family goes a short distance?
(a) That the family wait at a seedy-looking building.
(b) More money.
(c) Jean's father's watch.
(d) That the men in the group help carry the bags.
14. What kind of feeling does Jean have as they travel on the ship?
(b) Great sadness.
(c) Bad premonition.
15. What did Jean's father do with the sign in front of the bridge?
(a) Put it in the car.
(c) Moved it aside.
(d) Threw it in the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is different about Andrea when Jean sees her in Shanghai?
2. What city is near Wuchang?
3. How does Jean's mother get to the river?
4. What other children are there of the same age as Andrea and Jean?
5. What did Jean and her mother do while her father changed the flat tire?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)