|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Jean feel when they landed in San Francisco?
(a) She was glad to get off the ship.
(b) Like she would never leave America again.
(c) She was an explorer like Columbus.
(d) She felt like she wanted to return to China.
2. What does Jean say about Yang Sze-Fu's politics?
(a) He is a Feudalist.
(b) He wants to ignore the political situation.
(c) He is a Communist.
3. What is one faction in the war in China?
(a) The Nationalist faction.
(b) The aristocratic faction.
(c) The religious faction.
(d) The peasant faction.
4. What does Lin Nai-Nai say the Communists are doing in her hometown?
(a) Attacking it.
(b) Making the boys join their army.
(c) Giving the people food.
(d) Helping the people to build good homes.
5. What other children are there of the same age as Andrea and Jean?
(a) Just one other girl.
(c) Just one boy.
(d) About 4.
6. What is Lin Nai-Nai's hometown?
7. What do Jean and Lin Nai-Nai promise after exchanging gifts?
(a) That they would not open them until Jean is on the ship.
(b) That they would write each other.
(c) That they would work to get Lin Nai-Nai to the United States.
8. How long is the boat ride from China to the United States for Jean's family?
(a) 3 months.
(b) 4 weeks.
(c) 12 days.
(d) 28 days.
9. Why did the customs officials check people's health?
(a) To get them to a doctor is they needed it.
(b) So they would not be sued for someone getting sick in America.
(c) They did not worry about a traveler's health.
(d) To make sure they brought nothing that could cause an epidemic.
10. What do the Hus give Jean's family?
(a) A book written in Chinese that is hundreds of years old.
(b) A set of robes.
(c) A bolt of silk.
(d) A yellow Chinese jar.
11. How did Jean feel when her grandmother called out "Welcome Home"?
(a) That she had never been away from there.
(b) That she wished they were staying at the farm.
(c) That it didn't feel like home.
(d) That she was finally home.
12. Where did the car get a flat tire?
(a) In Nevada.
(b) In Oklahoma.
(c) In the Ozark Mountains.
(d) In Virginia.
13. How long was Lin Nai-Nai under siege?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 40 days.
(d) 4 months.
14. Why does Jean become paranoid?
(a) She is afraid the cook will poison their food.
(b) She heard that the Communists were kidnapping American girls.
(c) She heard that the Communists were shooting Westerners on sight.
(d) She heard that much of the rice was tainted by the Communists.
15. What amazed Jean about stepping foot in America?
(a) That there was so few people in such a large city.
(b) That it was so difficult to get through customs.
(c) That she did not feel any difference physically.
(d) That the buildings looked the same as China.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean ask Lin Nai-Nai?
2. What is a big moment for Jean on the ship?
3. What kind of feeling does Jean have as they travel on the ship?
4. Where is Jean's father?
5. Why is Lin Nai-Nai's hometown starving?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)