|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one gift Millie receives for Christmas?
(a) A sweater.
(b) A pair of shoes.
(c) A hat.
(d) A kite.
2. Why was Jean shocked when her father announced his plans for summer vacation?
(a) They were going to the ocean.
(b) They were staying in Honkow.
(c) They were heading south.
(d) They were not going where they usually went.
3. What does Jean dream of doing in America?
(a) Having her own dog.
(b) Not being a second-class citizen.
(c) Doing things she cannot do in China.
(d) Singing the "Star Spangled Banner".
4. Why was Andrea Hull happy to be moving?
(a) They were moving because her mother was pregnant.
(b) Their new home was very fancy.
(c) They would live on the ocean.
(d) They would live where English was spoken.
5. What does Jean's father do?
(a) Teaches English.
(b) A diplomat.
(c) Director of the local YMCA.
(d) He is dead.
6. Why did Jean's mother have to go to the hospital?
(a) She caught TB.
(b) She had phlebitis.
(c) She had female troubles.
(d) She was gettting headaches.
7. What did Jean's mother do right after she had the baby?
(a) Left for America.
(b) Went back to Honkow.
(c) Came back on vacation.
(d) Remained in the hospital.
8. What were students and coolies doing about the Chinese revolution?
(a) Fighting the communists.
(c) Joining the army.
(d) Organizing labor strikes.
9. Why did Jean's parents not tell her that her mother was pregnant?
(a) It was a difficult pregnancy.
(b) Jean was too young.
(c) Jean knew her mother was pregnant.
(d) Her mother was not certain.
10. What does Jean ask for as a Christmas present?
(a) A new name.
(b) A puppy.
(c) A World Atlas.
(d) A ticket to America.
11. Who is Yang Sze Sze-Fu?
(a) The cook for Jean's family.
(b) The headmaster of Jean's school.
(c) The peasant who brings milk to Jean's school everyday.
(d) The mayor of Hankow.
12. Why is Jean shocked when she arrives back home after her adventures in the city?
(a) Her father is being deported.
(b) Her mother lost her job.
(c) Her teacher has resigned.
(d) Miss Williams stopped by Jean's house.
13. What do the Hullses not think important?
(a) Good schooling.
(b) Millie's race.
(c) The identity of David's parents.
(d) David's desire to move back to America.
14. What does Jean refuse to do eventually at her school?
(a) Draw pictures of the King.
(b) Sing the opening song of the morning.
(c) Learn Chinese characters.
(d) Go outside and play.
15. How old is Jean when the book opens?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is David?
2. How does Jean feel about where she is living?
3. How does Jean get to Andrea's house?
4. What does Jean's mother declare after hearing her reason for skipping school?
5. What was the name of the YMCA family Jean's family stayed with on vacation?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)