|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Jean cry in front of her mother?
(a) When their father announces he lost his job.
(b) When she is relating the story of getting lost in Hankow.
(c) When relating the story about Ian.
(d) When her mother said they are moving back to the United States.
2. What was the new baby named?
3. What are coolies?
(a) Hand towels that are wet and placed on the head in the heat.
(b) Unskilled laborers.
(c) A group of kids in a class.
(d) One form of barter payment.
4. What is Christmas day like at Jean's home?
(c) Melancholy because of the political tension.
(d) Upset as her parents are fighting.
5. What does Jean's mother do?
(b) Works in the American embassy.
(c) Works for an international corporation.
(d) Teaches English.
6. Where was Mr. Hull transferring?
(a) To Beijing.
(b) To Chunjudo.
(c) To Hong Kong.
(d) The Shaghai YMCA.
7. Where is Jean living when the book opens?
8. Why was Andrea Hull happy to be moving?
(a) Their new home was very fancy.
(b) They were moving because her mother was pregnant.
(c) They would live where English was spoken.
(d) They would live on the ocean.
9. Who is Millie?
(a) Jean's sister.
(b) Andrea's sister.
(c) Andrea's nanny.
(d) An orphan the Hullses are caring for over the holidays.
10. What was the political situation like when Jean was eleven?
(a) The Communists have been in power for a decade.
(b) The Chinese government has been more open than usual.
(c) It was calm with a strong Chinese emperor.
(d) The Communists were about to stage a revolution.
11. What does Jean love about the river?
(a) The birds on the river.
(b) The sound of its rushing waters.
(c) The way the river creates waterfalls.
(d) Some aspects of the activity on the river.
12. Who is David?
(a) Jean's younger brother.
(b) A boy the Hullses adopted.
(c) Jean's oldest brother.
(d) Andrea's twin brother.
13. What is one gift Millie receives for Christmas?
(a) A sweater.
(b) A pair of shoes.
(c) A kite.
(d) A hat.
14. Who are generally not allowed in the British concession?
(a) No one.
(b) French people.
(c) Russian people.
(d) Chinese people.
15. What do the school children sing each day where Jean attends school?
(b) "God Save the King".
(c) "America the Beautiful".
(d) "The Lord's Prayer".
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jean get to Andrea's house?
2. Why did Jean hate the thought of where they would vacation?
3. What does Jean confess in her letters to her Grandma?
4. Where does Jean's grandmother live?
5. What does Jean explain to her teacher what she has refused to do?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)