Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Jean's best friend?
2. What does Jean refuse to do eventually at her school?
(a) Learn Chinese characters.
(b) Sing the opening song of the morning.
(c) Draw pictures of the King.
(d) Go outside and play.
3. What does Jean ask for as a Christmas present?
(a) A ticket to America.
(b) A World Atlas.
(c) A new name.
(d) A puppy.
4. What does Millie dutifully do on Christmas?
(a) Say thank you for the presents.
(b) Play with the toys she receives.
(c) The dishes from Christmas dinner.
(d) Goes to church with the families.
5. What is one gift Millie receives for Christmas?
(a) A hat.
(b) A pair of shoes.
(c) A sweater.
(d) A kite.
6. What is Christmas day like at Jean's home?
(b) Upset as her parents are fighting.
(c) Melancholy because of the political tension.
7. What does Jean's mother declare after hearing her reason for skipping school?
(a) She thinks Jean overreacted.
(b) Jean will have to sing "God Save the King."
(c) Ian will be punished.
(d) She is pulling Jean out of that school.
8. How did the family travel across the plains?
(a) By horse drawn carriage.
(b) By car.
(c) By train.
(d) By ox cart.
9. Where does Jean carve her initials?
(a) In wet cement near her house.
(b) On a tree near her house.
(c) In her desk at school.
(d) On a Chinese junk.
10. When does Jean cry in front of her mother?
(a) When relating the story about Ian.
(b) When their father announces he lost his job.
(c) When her mother said they are moving back to the United States.
(d) When she is relating the story of getting lost in Hankow.
11. Why does Jean wish to have that other name?
(a) It sounds high class to her.
(b) It reminds her of her beloved Aunt Julie.
(c) It sounds more American to her.
(d) It sounds more French to her.
12. What began to happen in the city?
(a) The city stayed pretty much the same.
(b) A lot of murders.
(c) Food shortages.
13. Why was Jean shocked when her father announced his plans for summer vacation?
(a) They were not going where they usually went.
(b) They were heading south.
(c) They were staying in Honkow.
(d) They were going to the ocean.
14. Where was Mr. Hull transferring?
(a) To Chunjudo.
(b) The Shaghai YMCA.
(c) To Beijing.
(d) To Hong Kong.
15. What is a Chinese custom to which Lin Nai-Nai was subjected?
(c) Foot binding.
(d) Fertility rites.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the political situation like when Jean was eleven?
2. What is an Amah?
3. How does Jean get to Andrea's house?
4. Why might the town where Jean's family usually went for vacation be nice for a summer vacation?
5. What does Jean love about the river?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)