|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Andrea Hull happy to be moving?
(a) They were moving because her mother was pregnant.
(b) They would live where English was spoken.
(c) Their new home was very fancy.
(d) They would live on the ocean.
2. Where does Jean go the next day after her confrontation?
(a) With her mother to work.
(b) With her father to work.
(c) Into the city of Hankow.
3. What does Jean feel does not come naturally to her?
(a) Writing cursive.
(b) Being good.
(c) The Chinese language.
(d) Understanding the English.
4. For whom does Jean buy a pencil box?
5. What was the new baby named?
6. What is one gift Millie receives for Christmas?
(a) A hat.
(b) A sweater.
(c) A pair of shoes.
(d) A kite.
7. Why is Jean shocked when she arrives back home after her adventures in the city?
(a) Miss Williams stopped by Jean's house.
(b) Her father is being deported.
(c) Her teacher has resigned.
(d) Her mother lost her job.
8. What does Jean dream of doing in America?
(a) Not being a second-class citizen.
(b) Having her own dog.
(c) Singing the "Star Spangled Banner".
(d) Doing things she cannot do in China.
9. Who is David?
(a) A boy the Hullses adopted.
(b) Jean's oldest brother.
(c) Jean's younger brother.
(d) Andrea's twin brother.
10. Who is Millie?
(a) Andrea's sister.
(b) Jean's sister.
(c) Andrea's nanny.
(d) An orphan the Hullses are caring for over the holidays.
11. Why does Jean give part of her orange to a young Chinese boy?
(a) To curb his hostility.
(b) He looked hungry.
(c) She refuses to give him her orange.
(d) He asked her for it.
12. What does Jean's mother do?
(a) Works in the American embassy.
(c) Teaches English.
(d) Works for an international corporation.
13. What does Jean's father do?
(a) Teaches English.
(b) Director of the local YMCA.
(c) A diplomat.
(d) He is dead.
14. Who calls Jean a foreign devil?
(a) A Chinese policeman.
(b) A young boy.
(c) No one.
(d) Her teacher.
15. Why did the baby die?
(a) It had a blood disease.
(b) It had a congenital heart problem.
(c) It was premature.
(d) It contacted postpartum fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Jean's mother have to go to the hospital?
2. In what town was Jean's family going to vacation?
3. What does Jean's mom say about Jean's request for Christmas?
4. Who are generally not allowed in the British concession?
5. How does Jean feel about where she is living?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)