|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What began to happen in the city?
(a) A lot of murders.
(c) Food shortages.
(d) The city stayed pretty much the same.
2. When does Jean cry in front of her mother?
(a) When relating the story about Ian.
(b) When their father announces he lost his job.
(c) When her mother said they are moving back to the United States.
(d) When she is relating the story of getting lost in Hankow.
3. Why might the town where Jean's family usually went for vacation be nice for a summer vacation?
(a) It was on the ocean.
(b) It was in the north where it was cooler.
(c) It was in the mountains.
(d) It was on a large lake.
4. Why does Jean not see her best friend often?
(a) The best friend's mother does not approve of Jean's parents.
(b) Jean's mother does not approve of the girl's parents.
(c) The best friend lives in a rural area.
(d) The best friend is only in the city every other month.
5. How do Andrea's parents get along?
(a) They fight often.
(b) They ignore each other.
(c) They are so close they almost read each other's minds.
(d) Andrea's father is dead.
6. How does Jean feel about where she is living?
(a) She thinks her family should move to a smaller city in China.
(b) She thinks her family should move to a larger city in China.
(c) She loves it.
(d) That she is on the wrong side of the world.
7. What name does Jean wish she had been given?
8. Why does Jean give part of her orange to a young Chinese boy?
(a) He looked hungry.
(b) She refuses to give him her orange.
(c) He asked her for it.
(d) To curb his hostility.
9. What does Jean's father tell her she can do?
(a) Stand outside the classroom until the singing is over.
(b) Clean Miss Jones' blackboards for a month.
(c) Sing "My Country 'Tis of Thee".
(d) Go to bed without supper for skipping school.
10. What is one present Jean receives for Christmas?
(a) A chess set.
(b) A new jacket.
(c) A Parcheesi set.
(d) A jump rope.
11. What does David ask Jean to ask Millie to do?
(a) Ask her parents if he could visit Millie.
(c) Help him meet up with a boy at the orphanage.
(d) Find out his true parents.
12. How does Jean get to Andrea's house?
(c) Her mother takes her.
13. What is one thing Jean does in preparation for Christmas?
(a) Make Audrey a present.
(b) Buy Millie a present.
(c) Make her parents presents.
(d) Make David a present.
14. Why was Jean shocked when her father announced his plans for summer vacation?
(a) They were not going where they usually went.
(b) They were heading south.
(c) They were staying in Honkow.
(d) They were going to the ocean.
15. What were students and coolies doing about the Chinese revolution?
(b) Joining the army.
(c) Organizing labor strikes.
(d) Fighting the communists.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jean go the next day after her confrontation?
2. What is Christmas day like at Jean's home?
3. What does Jean's mom say about Jean's request for Christmas?
4. What was the name of the YMCA family Jean's family stayed with on vacation?
5. What does Jean ask for as a Christmas present?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)