|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean's mother do?
(a) Teaches English.
(b) Works for an international corporation.
(d) Works in the American embassy.
2. When do the Hullses and Millie arrive for a Christmas celebration?
(a) The day after Christmas.
(b) Christmas Eve.
(c) Later in the day on Christmas.
(d) Early Christmas morning.
3. How do the Hullses sometimes appear in their home?
(b) Unfriendly to the hired help.
(c) Condescending to the hired help.
4. What does Jean refuse to do eventually at her school?
(a) Go outside and play.
(b) Draw pictures of the King.
(c) Sing the opening song of the morning.
(d) Learn Chinese characters.
5. When does Jean cry in front of her mother?
(a) When she is relating the story of getting lost in Hankow.
(b) When relating the story about Ian.
(c) When their father announces he lost his job.
(d) When her mother said they are moving back to the United States.
6. Why did Jean's father change vacation plans?
(a) Jean's mother did not want to travel.
(b) To save money.
(c) The communist did not allow travel.
(d) To stay closer to home.
7. What does Jean explain to her teacher what she has refused to do?
(a) That she is an American and will not pledge to England.
(b) That she hates China and does not want to learn to write Chinese.
(c) That she hates the red clay getting all over her clothes.
(d) That she wants to draw pictures of the American president instead.
8. Why was Jean shocked when her father announced his plans for summer vacation?
(a) They were going to the ocean.
(b) They were heading south.
(c) They were not going where they usually went.
(d) They were staying in Honkow.
9. How old is Jean when the book opens?
10. Who is David?
(a) Jean's younger brother.
(b) Andrea's twin brother.
(c) Jean's oldest brother.
(d) A boy the Hullses adopted.
11. What does Jean think the kind of lifestyle the Hullses have would promote?
12. What is one thing Jean does in preparation for Christmas?
(a) Make Audrey a present.
(b) Make David a present.
(c) Buy Millie a present.
(d) Make her parents presents.
13. What is Christmas day like at Jean's home?
(c) Upset as her parents are fighting.
(d) Melancholy because of the political tension.
14. What began to happen in the city?
(b) A lot of murders.
(c) Food shortages.
(d) The city stayed pretty much the same.
15. Where was Mr. Hull transferring?
(a) To Chunjudo.
(b) To Beijing.
(c) The Shaghai YMCA.
(d) To Hong Kong.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Yang Sze Sze-Fu?
2. What were students and coolies doing about the Chinese revolution?
3. Where is Jean living when the book opens?
4. What does Jean dream of doing in America?
5. Where did the family travel the first couple of days of their vacation?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)