|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Jean feel about the scenery around where they were staying?
(a) The city was too crowded.
(b) She was impressed by the beauty of the mountains.
(c) She thought the plains were too flat.
(d) She thought the ocean waves were soothing.
2. In what town was Jean's family going to vacation?
3. Why was Jean shocked when her father announced his plans for summer vacation?
(a) They were heading south.
(b) They were going to the ocean.
(c) They were not going where they usually went.
(d) They were staying in Honkow.
4. What does Jean's mother do?
(a) Works in the American embassy.
(b) Works for an international corporation.
(c) Teaches English.
5. Why did Jean hate the thought of where they would vacation?
(a) She would not be able to see Andrea.
(b) She hated being hot.
(c) She hated salt water.
(d) She loved the mountains.
6. Who is Jean's teacher?
(a) Miss Stuart.
(b) Miss Jones.
(c) Miss Breckenridge.
(d) Miss Williams.
7. What does Jean explain to her teacher what she has refused to do?
(a) That she wants to draw pictures of the American president instead.
(b) That she hates the red clay getting all over her clothes.
(c) That she is an American and will not pledge to England.
(d) That she hates China and does not want to learn to write Chinese.
8. What are coolies?
(a) Unskilled laborers.
(b) Hand towels that are wet and placed on the head in the heat.
(c) A group of kids in a class.
(d) One form of barter payment.
9. What is a Chinese custom to which Lin Nai-Nai was subjected?
(b) Fertility rites.
(d) Foot binding.
10. When does Jean cry in front of her mother?
(a) When relating the story about Ian.
(b) When she is relating the story of getting lost in Hankow.
(c) When her mother said they are moving back to the United States.
(d) When their father announces he lost his job.
11. What does David ask Jean to ask Millie to do?
(a) Find out his true parents.
(c) Help him meet up with a boy at the orphanage.
(d) Ask her parents if he could visit Millie.
12. Why did Jean's parents not tell her that her mother was pregnant?
(a) Her mother was not certain.
(b) Jean knew her mother was pregnant.
(c) Jean was too young.
(d) It was a difficult pregnancy.
13. What is Jean's family doing over the holidays similar to the Hullses?
(a) They are also hosting Millie for awhile.
(b) They are celebrating Hanukkah.
(c) They are not celebrating Christmas.
(d) They are giving their employees bonuses.
14. What does Jean's father tell her she can do?
(a) Go to bed without supper for skipping school.
(b) Clean Miss Jones' blackboards for a month.
(c) Sing "My Country 'Tis of Thee".
(d) Stand outside the classroom until the singing is over.
15. What does Jean love about the river?
(a) The sound of its rushing waters.
(b) The birds on the river.
(c) Some aspects of the activity on the river.
(d) The way the river creates waterfalls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Christmas day like at Jean's home?
2. Who calls Jean a foreign devil?
3. Where does Jean's grandmother live?
4. What does Jean dream of doing in America?
5. What were students and coolies doing about the Chinese revolution?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)