|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lin Nai-Nai?
(a) The woman who cleans Jean's home.
(b) A teacher at Jean's school.
(c) The woman who cooks at Jean's school.
(d) Jean's nanny.
2. Why was Andrea Hull happy to be moving?
(a) Their new home was very fancy.
(b) They would live on the ocean.
(c) They were moving because her mother was pregnant.
(d) They would live where English was spoken.
3. What does Jean explain to her teacher what she has refused to do?
(a) That she hates the red clay getting all over her clothes.
(b) That she hates China and does not want to learn to write Chinese.
(c) That she is an American and will not pledge to England.
(d) That she wants to draw pictures of the American president instead.
4. What did Jean and her mother listen to one night when they felt very tense?
(a) Dogs barking and crying.
(b) Houses being torn up.
(c) Police sirens.
(d) Screams and sounds of violence.
5. What was the political situation like when Jean was eleven?
(a) The Communists have been in power for a decade.
(b) The Chinese government has been more open than usual.
(c) The Communists were about to stage a revolution.
(d) It was calm with a strong Chinese emperor.
6. What is one present Jean receives for Christmas?
(a) A chess set.
(b) A jump rope.
(c) A Parcheesi set.
(d) A new jacket.
7. Why did Jean's mother have to go to the hospital?
(a) She was gettting headaches.
(b) She had female troubles.
(c) She caught TB.
(d) She had phlebitis.
8. What does Jean's father tell her she can do?
(a) Sing "My Country 'Tis of Thee".
(b) Go to bed without supper for skipping school.
(c) Stand outside the classroom until the singing is over.
(d) Clean Miss Jones' blackboards for a month.
9. How did Jean feel about where they were staying?
(a) She was indifferent to it.
(b) She hated her room.
(c) She loved her room.
(d) She disliked the family.
10. What does Jean refuse to do eventually at her school?
(a) Learn Chinese characters.
(b) Sing the opening song of the morning.
(c) Draw pictures of the King.
(d) Go outside and play.
11. Why did Lin Nai-Nai leave her husband?
(a) Her husband is dead.
(b) He took a second wife.
(c) He wanted her to move to a farm.
(d) He beat her.
12. What do the Hullses not think important?
(a) Millie's race.
(b) The identity of David's parents.
(c) David's desire to move back to America.
(d) Good schooling.
13. What does Jean think the kind of lifestyle the Hullses have would promote?
14. What does Millie use the game of hide and seek to do?
(a) Be by herself.
(b) Be mean to David.
(c) Run away.
(d) Be mean to Audrea.
15. How do Andrea's parents get along?
(a) They are so close they almost read each other's minds.
(b) They fight often.
(c) Andrea's father is dead.
(d) They ignore each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Hullses stress in their lives?
2. What does Jean love about the river?
3. Why did Jean hate the thought of where they would vacation?
4. Where did the family travel the first couple of days of their vacation?
5. What did Jean's father attempt to do about the revolution?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)