|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Andrea Hulls' family in China?
(a) Because of the YMCA.
(b) Her father is an architect helping rebuild after an earthquake.
(c) Andrea's mother is a doctor building a rural clinic.
(d) They are Christian missionaries.
2. Who is Jean's teacher?
(a) Miss Williams.
(b) Miss Jones.
(c) Miss Stuart.
(d) Miss Breckenridge.
3. What were students and coolies doing about the Chinese revolution?
(a) Fighting the communists.
(b) Organizing labor strikes.
(d) Joining the army.
4. What does Jean call Mille?
(a) Missy Mil.
(d) Missy Lee.
5. What does Millie dutifully do on Christmas?
(a) Say thank you for the presents.
(b) Goes to church with the families.
(c) Play with the toys she receives.
(d) The dishes from Christmas dinner.
6. What does David ask Jean to ask Millie to do?
(a) Ask her parents if he could visit Millie.
(b) Find out his true parents.
(c) Help him meet up with a boy at the orphanage.
7. How did the family travel across the plains?
(a) By train.
(b) By car.
(c) By horse drawn carriage.
(d) By ox cart.
8. What did Jean and her mother listen to one night when they felt very tense?
(a) Screams and sounds of violence.
(b) Houses being torn up.
(c) Dogs barking and crying.
(d) Police sirens.
9. How does Jean get to Andrea's house?
(d) Her mother takes her.
10. What was the name of the YMCA family Jean's family stayed with on vacation?
(a) The Flynns.
(b) The Kilgores.
(c) The Blackburns.
(d) The Jordans.
11. Where does Jean carve her initials?
(a) In her desk at school.
(b) In wet cement near her house.
(c) On a tree near her house.
(d) On a Chinese junk.
12. In what town was Jean's family going to vacation?
13. What did Jean's father attempt to do about the revolution?
(a) Support the government.
(b) Join the revolution.
(c) Supply the rebels with food.
(d) Remain apolitical.
14. What is one thing Jean does in preparation for Christmas?
(a) Make David a present.
(b) Make Audrey a present.
(c) Buy Millie a present.
(d) Make her parents presents.
15. What does Jean's mother declare after hearing her reason for skipping school?
(a) Jean will have to sing "God Save the King."
(b) She is pulling Jean out of that school.
(c) She thinks Jean overreacted.
(d) Ian will be punished.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jean feel sorry for the coolies?
2. What is a Chinese custom to which Lin Nai-Nai was subjected?
3. Why does Jean give part of her orange to a young Chinese boy?
4. How do the Hullses sometimes appear in their home?
5. What does Jean confess in her letters to her Grandma?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)