|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean call Mille?
(a) Missy Lee.
(b) Missy Mil.
2. How do the Hullses sometimes appear in their home?
(c) Condescending to the hired help.
(d) Unfriendly to the hired help.
3. What does Millie dutifully do on Christmas?
(a) Goes to church with the families.
(b) Play with the toys she receives.
(c) Say thank you for the presents.
(d) The dishes from Christmas dinner.
4. What does Jean's mother declare after hearing her reason for skipping school?
(a) Jean will have to sing "God Save the King."
(b) She is pulling Jean out of that school.
(c) She thinks Jean overreacted.
(d) Ian will be punished.
5. Why does Jean wish to have that other name?
(a) It sounds high class to her.
(b) It sounds more French to her.
(c) It reminds her of her beloved Aunt Julie.
(d) It sounds more American to her.
6. Why did Jean's mother have to go to the hospital?
(a) She had phlebitis.
(b) She caught TB.
(c) She was gettting headaches.
(d) She had female troubles.
7. What was the political situation like when Jean was eleven?
(a) The Chinese government has been more open than usual.
(b) The Communists have been in power for a decade.
(c) The Communists were about to stage a revolution.
(d) It was calm with a strong Chinese emperor.
8. What were students and coolies doing about the Chinese revolution?
(a) Organizing labor strikes.
(b) Fighting the communists.
(d) Joining the army.
9. Why did Jean's parents not tell her that her mother was pregnant?
(a) Jean knew her mother was pregnant.
(b) It was a difficult pregnancy.
(c) Jean was too young.
(d) Her mother was not certain.
10. What does Jean confess in her letters to her Grandma?
(a) That her father is never home.
(b) That she is depressed about living in China.
(c) That she sometimes does not try to be good.
(d) That the English boys all beat up on her.
11. What is one present Jean receives for Christmas?
(a) A jump rope.
(b) A Parcheesi set.
(c) A chess set.
(d) A new jacket.
12. What did Jean and her mother listen to one night when they felt very tense?
(a) Police sirens.
(b) Screams and sounds of violence.
(c) Dogs barking and crying.
(d) Houses being torn up.
13. Who calls Jean a foreign devil?
(a) Her teacher.
(b) A Chinese policeman.
(c) No one.
(d) A young boy.
14. Why does Jean not see her best friend often?
(a) The best friend lives in a rural area.
(b) The best friend's mother does not approve of Jean's parents.
(c) The best friend is only in the city every other month.
(d) Jean's mother does not approve of the girl's parents.
15. How did Jean feel about where they were staying?
(a) She disliked the family.
(b) She loved her room.
(c) She hated her room.
(d) She was indifferent to it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the new baby named?
2. What do the school children sing each day where Jean attends school?
3. Who is Millie?
4. Where does Jean's grandmother live?
5. What is Jean's family doing over the holidays similar to the Hullses?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)