|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Hullses stress in their lives?
(a) Rigid role models for the boys and girls.
(b) Being free and natural.
(c) Their mission to convert the Chinese people.
(d) Strict moral behavior.
2. What is Christmas day like at Jean's home?
(a) Melancholy because of the political tension.
(c) Upset as her parents are fighting.
3. What does Jean notice about insults aimed at white girls?
(a) They are increasing and more intense.
(b) They are not serious threats.
(c) They seem to come from the poorer Chinese.
(d) They see to come from the richer Chinese.
4. What does Jean's mother declare after hearing her reason for skipping school?
(a) Jean will have to sing "God Save the King."
(b) Ian will be punished.
(c) She thinks Jean overreacted.
(d) She is pulling Jean out of that school.
5. What was the new baby named?
6. What does Jean's father do?
(a) He is dead.
(b) Teaches English.
(c) A diplomat.
(d) Director of the local YMCA.
7. How do Andrea's parents get along?
(a) Andrea's father is dead.
(b) They ignore each other.
(c) They fight often.
(d) They are so close they almost read each other's minds.
8. What is one present Jean receives for Christmas?
(a) A new jacket.
(b) A chess set.
(c) A Parcheesi set.
(d) A jump rope.
9. How did the family travel across the plains?
(a) By horse drawn carriage.
(b) By train.
(c) By car.
(d) By ox cart.
10. What does Jean refuse to do eventually at her school?
(a) Go outside and play.
(b) Draw pictures of the King.
(c) Learn Chinese characters.
(d) Sing the opening song of the morning.
11. What does Millie use the game of hide and seek to do?
(a) Be mean to Audrea.
(b) Run away.
(c) Be mean to David.
(d) Be by herself.
12. Why is Jean shocked when she arrives back home after her adventures in the city?
(a) Her mother lost her job.
(b) Her teacher has resigned.
(c) Miss Williams stopped by Jean's house.
(d) Her father is being deported.
13. Why was Jean shocked when her father announced his plans for summer vacation?
(a) They were going to the ocean.
(b) They were heading south.
(c) They were not going where they usually went.
(d) They were staying in Honkow.
14. For whom does Jean buy a pencil box?
15. What began to happen in the city?
(a) Food shortages.
(b) The city stayed pretty much the same.
(d) A lot of murders.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Jean wish she had been given?
2. Where does Jean carve her initials?
3. What is Jean's family doing over the holidays similar to the Hullses?
4. Why might the town where Jean's family usually went for vacation be nice for a summer vacation?
5. Who is Jean's best friend?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)