|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean love about the river?
(a) The sound of its rushing waters.
(b) The way the river creates waterfalls.
(c) Some aspects of the activity on the river.
(d) The birds on the river.
2. Why is Andrea Hulls' family in China?
(a) Because of the YMCA.
(b) Her father is an architect helping rebuild after an earthquake.
(c) They are Christian missionaries.
(d) Andrea's mother is a doctor building a rural clinic.
3. How does Jean get to Andrea's house?
(a) Her mother takes her.
4. How did Jean feel about where they were staying?
(a) She loved her room.
(b) She disliked the family.
(c) She hated her room.
(d) She was indifferent to it.
5. Why did Jean's spirits improve about their vacation?
(a) Andrea would be able to visit.
(b) She would miss the few last days of school.
(c) Her father would stay with them the entire time.
(d) It would be longer than usual.
6. What began to happen in the city?
(a) A lot of murders.
(b) Food shortages.
(d) The city stayed pretty much the same.
7. What did Jean's father attempt to do about the revolution?
(a) Supply the rebels with food.
(b) Remain apolitical.
(c) Join the revolution.
(d) Support the government.
8. What does Jean explain to her teacher what she has refused to do?
(a) That she is an American and will not pledge to England.
(b) That she hates the red clay getting all over her clothes.
(c) That she hates China and does not want to learn to write Chinese.
(d) That she wants to draw pictures of the American president instead.
9. Who are generally not allowed in the British concession?
(a) Russian people.
(b) No one.
(c) Chinese people.
(d) French people.
10. Who is Jean's teacher?
(a) Miss Jones.
(b) Miss Breckenridge.
(c) Miss Stuart.
(d) Miss Williams.
11. What does Jean think the kind of lifestyle the Hullses have would promote?
12. What does Ian Forbes try to make Jean do?
(a) Give him her lunch money.
(b) Move off a swing he wants.
(c) Carry his books.
(d) Say the phrase, "God Save the King."
13. What do the Hullses stress in their lives?
(a) Their mission to convert the Chinese people.
(b) Rigid role models for the boys and girls.
(c) Strict moral behavior.
(d) Being free and natural.
14. Why did Jean hate the thought of where they would vacation?
(a) She hated salt water.
(b) She hated being hot.
(c) She would not be able to see Andrea.
(d) She loved the mountains.
15. What do the Hullses not think important?
(a) The identity of David's parents.
(b) David's desire to move back to America.
(c) Millie's race.
(d) Good schooling.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Jean's father change vacation plans?
2. Why did Jean's mother have to go to the hospital?
3. What is one thing Jean does in preparation for Christmas?
4. What does Jean refuse to do eventually at her school?
5. Why did Jean's parents not tell her that her mother was pregnant?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)