|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Jean feel about where they were staying?
(a) She disliked the family.
(b) She hated her room.
(c) She was indifferent to it.
(d) She loved her room.
2. Why is Jean shocked when she arrives back home after her adventures in the city?
(a) Miss Williams stopped by Jean's house.
(b) Her mother lost her job.
(c) Her father is being deported.
(d) Her teacher has resigned.
3. What does Jean's mother declare after hearing her reason for skipping school?
(a) Ian will be punished.
(b) She is pulling Jean out of that school.
(c) She thinks Jean overreacted.
(d) Jean will have to sing "God Save the King."
4. Why does Jean give part of her orange to a young Chinese boy?
(a) He looked hungry.
(b) She refuses to give him her orange.
(c) To curb his hostility.
(d) He asked her for it.
5. What was the new baby named?
6. Why did Lin Nai-Nai leave her husband?
(a) He took a second wife.
(b) He beat her.
(c) Her husband is dead.
(d) He wanted her to move to a farm.
7. Why did Jean's mother have to go to the hospital?
(a) She was gettting headaches.
(b) She had phlebitis.
(c) She had female troubles.
(d) She caught TB.
8. What are coolies?
(a) A group of kids in a class.
(b) Hand towels that are wet and placed on the head in the heat.
(c) One form of barter payment.
(d) Unskilled laborers.
9. How do the Hullses sometimes appear in their home?
(b) Unfriendly to the hired help.
(c) Condescending to the hired help.
10. What does Jean's mother do?
(a) Works for an international corporation.
(b) Works in the American embassy.
(d) Teaches English.
11. Who calls Jean a foreign devil?
(a) No one.
(b) A young boy.
(c) Her teacher.
(d) A Chinese policeman.
12. Why did Jean hate the thought of where they would vacation?
(a) She hated salt water.
(b) She loved the mountains.
(c) She would not be able to see Andrea.
(d) She hated being hot.
13. What does Jean refuse to do eventually at her school?
(a) Go outside and play.
(b) Sing the opening song of the morning.
(c) Learn Chinese characters.
(d) Draw pictures of the King.
14. Why did Jean's spirits improve about their vacation?
(a) Andrea would be able to visit.
(b) She would miss the few last days of school.
(c) It would be longer than usual.
(d) Her father would stay with them the entire time.
15. Where did the family travel the first couple of days of their vacation?
(a) Along the Yellow River.
(b) Along the Yangtse River.
(c) On the Watui River.
(d) Across theTalkinse Bay.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jean's father attempt to do about the revolution?
2. Where did Jean think their summer vacation would be?
3. Who is Yang Sze Sze-Fu?
4. What does David ask Jean to ask Millie to do?
5. Where does Jean go the next day after her confrontation?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)