|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jean's grandmother live?
2. What does Millie use the game of hide and seek to do?
(a) Run away.
(b) Be mean to David.
(c) Be mean to Audrea.
(d) Be by herself.
3. When do the Hullses and Millie arrive for a Christmas celebration?
(a) Later in the day on Christmas.
(b) Early Christmas morning.
(c) The day after Christmas.
(d) Christmas Eve.
4. Why did Jean's mother have to go to the hospital?
(a) She had female troubles.
(b) She was gettting headaches.
(c) She had phlebitis.
(d) She caught TB.
5. Where does Jean carve her initials?
(a) On a Chinese junk.
(b) In her desk at school.
(c) On a tree near her house.
(d) In wet cement near her house.
6. What does Jean love about the river?
(a) The way the river creates waterfalls.
(b) Some aspects of the activity on the river.
(c) The sound of its rushing waters.
(d) The birds on the river.
7. What were students and coolies doing about the Chinese revolution?
(a) Fighting the communists.
(c) Organizing labor strikes.
(d) Joining the army.
8. How old is Jean when the book opens?
9. What is Christmas day like at Jean's home?
(b) Melancholy because of the political tension.
(c) Upset as her parents are fighting.
10. When does Jean cry in front of her mother?
(a) When their father announces he lost his job.
(b) When she is relating the story of getting lost in Hankow.
(c) When relating the story about Ian.
(d) When her mother said they are moving back to the United States.
11. Why did Jean's spirits improve about their vacation?
(a) It would be longer than usual.
(b) She would miss the few last days of school.
(c) Her father would stay with them the entire time.
(d) Andrea would be able to visit.
12. What does Jean's mom say about Jean's request for Christmas?
(a) It is ridiculous.
(b) They cannot afford a ticket right now.
(c) They are not allowed dogs where they live.
(d) That is a wonderful idea.
13. What do the Hullses stress in their lives?
(a) Rigid role models for the boys and girls.
(b) Strict moral behavior.
(c) Being free and natural.
(d) Their mission to convert the Chinese people.
14. How did Jean feel about where they were staying?
(a) She was indifferent to it.
(b) She loved her room.
(c) She hated her room.
(d) She disliked the family.
15. Why did Jean's parents not tell her that her mother was pregnant?
(a) It was a difficult pregnancy.
(b) Jean was too young.
(c) Her mother was not certain.
(d) Jean knew her mother was pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the family travel the first couple of days of their vacation?
2. For whom does Jean buy a pencil box?
3. What does Jean think the kind of lifestyle the Hullses have would promote?
4. Who calls Jean a foreign devil?
5. What does Jean's father tell her she can do?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)