|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean refuse to do eventually at her school?
(a) Learn Chinese characters.
(b) Go outside and play.
(c) Draw pictures of the King.
(d) Sing the opening song of the morning.
2. Why did Lin Nai-Nai leave her husband?
(a) He took a second wife.
(b) He beat her.
(c) Her husband is dead.
(d) He wanted her to move to a farm.
3. Why was Jean shocked when her father announced his plans for summer vacation?
(a) They were heading south.
(b) They were not going where they usually went.
(c) They were going to the ocean.
(d) They were staying in Honkow.
4. Who is Lin Nai-Nai?
(a) The woman who cleans Jean's home.
(b) A teacher at Jean's school.
(c) The woman who cooks at Jean's school.
(d) Jean's nanny.
5. Why did Jean's father change vacation plans?
(a) Jean's mother did not want to travel.
(b) The communist did not allow travel.
(c) To stay closer to home.
(d) To save money.
6. Why did Jean's parents not tell her that her mother was pregnant?
(a) It was a difficult pregnancy.
(b) Jean was too young.
(c) Her mother was not certain.
(d) Jean knew her mother was pregnant.
7. When does Jean cry in front of her mother?
(a) When relating the story about Ian.
(b) When she is relating the story of getting lost in Hankow.
(c) When her mother said they are moving back to the United States.
(d) When their father announces he lost his job.
8. What does Jean confess in her letters to her Grandma?
(a) That her father is never home.
(b) That she is depressed about living in China.
(c) That she sometimes does not try to be good.
(d) That the English boys all beat up on her.
9. What was the political situation like when Jean was eleven?
(a) The Communists were about to stage a revolution.
(b) The Chinese government has been more open than usual.
(c) It was calm with a strong Chinese emperor.
(d) The Communists have been in power for a decade.
10. How did the family travel across the plains?
(a) By ox cart.
(b) By car.
(c) By train.
(d) By horse drawn carriage.
11. How do the Hullses sometimes appear in their home?
(b) Condescending to the hired help.
(d) Unfriendly to the hired help.
12. What is Jean's family doing over the holidays similar to the Hullses?
(a) They are giving their employees bonuses.
(b) They are also hosting Millie for awhile.
(c) They are not celebrating Christmas.
(d) They are celebrating Hanukkah.
13. What does David ask Jean to ask Millie to do?
(a) Ask her parents if he could visit Millie.
(c) Help him meet up with a boy at the orphanage.
(d) Find out his true parents.
14. Why might the town where Jean's family usually went for vacation be nice for a summer vacation?
(a) It was on a large lake.
(b) It was in the north where it was cooler.
(c) It was in the mountains.
(d) It was on the ocean.
15. What was the name of the cat Jean befriended?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jean feel about where they were staying?
2. What does Millie dutifully do on Christmas?
3. Who calls Jean a foreign devil?
4. What does Jean's mother declare after hearing her reason for skipping school?
5. How does Jean get to Andrea's house?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)