|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Christmas day like at Jean's home?
(b) Upset as her parents are fighting.
(c) Melancholy because of the political tension.
2. What does Millie dutifully do on Christmas?
(a) Say thank you for the presents.
(b) Goes to church with the families.
(c) Play with the toys she receives.
(d) The dishes from Christmas dinner.
3. How did Jean feel about where they were staying?
(a) She hated her room.
(b) She was indifferent to it.
(c) She loved her room.
(d) She disliked the family.
4. What does Jean confess in her letters to her Grandma?
(a) That she is depressed about living in China.
(b) That she sometimes does not try to be good.
(c) That her father is never home.
(d) That the English boys all beat up on her.
5. What does Jean's father do?
(a) A diplomat.
(b) Teaches English.
(c) He is dead.
(d) Director of the local YMCA.
6. What does Jean feel does not come naturally to her?
(a) Being good.
(b) Understanding the English.
(c) The Chinese language.
(d) Writing cursive.
7. What does Jean dream of doing in America?
(a) Doing things she cannot do in China.
(b) Singing the "Star Spangled Banner".
(c) Not being a second-class citizen.
(d) Having her own dog.
8. What is a Chinese custom to which Lin Nai-Nai was subjected?
(c) Foot binding.
(d) Fertility rites.
9. What is an Amah?
(a) A cleaning woman.
(b) A priest.
(c) A city ordinance.
(d) A nanny.
10. Why did Jean hate the thought of where they would vacation?
(a) She hated salt water.
(b) She loved the mountains.
(c) She hated being hot.
(d) She would not be able to see Andrea.
11. What was the new baby named?
12. What does Ian Forbes try to make Jean do?
(a) Give him her lunch money.
(b) Carry his books.
(c) Say the phrase, "God Save the King."
(d) Move off a swing he wants.
13. How did Jean feel about the scenery around where they were staying?
(a) She was impressed by the beauty of the mountains.
(b) The city was too crowded.
(c) She thought the ocean waves were soothing.
(d) She thought the plains were too flat.
14. Who are generally not allowed in the British concession?
(a) Russian people.
(b) Chinese people.
(c) No one.
(d) French people.
15. What name does Jean wish she had been given?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean notice about insults aimed at white girls?
2. What did Jean and her mother listen to one night when they felt very tense?
3. Who calls Jean a foreign devil?
4. Why did the baby die?
5. How old is Jean when the book opens?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)