|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a Chinese custom to which Lin Nai-Nai was subjected?
(a) Fertility rites.
(c) Foot binding.
2. What does Millie use the game of hide and seek to do?
(a) Be by herself.
(b) Be mean to David.
(c) Be mean to Audrea.
(d) Run away.
3. What are coolies?
(a) Unskilled laborers.
(b) Hand towels that are wet and placed on the head in the heat.
(c) One form of barter payment.
(d) A group of kids in a class.
4. What is an Amah?
(a) A priest.
(b) A nanny.
(c) A city ordinance.
(d) A cleaning woman.
5. Where does Jean go the next day after her confrontation?
(a) With her father to work.
(b) With her mother to work.
(c) Into the city of Hankow.
6. What does Jean's mom say about Jean's request for Christmas?
(a) They cannot afford a ticket right now.
(b) It is ridiculous.
(c) They are not allowed dogs where they live.
(d) That is a wonderful idea.
7. What were students and coolies doing about the Chinese revolution?
(b) Organizing labor strikes.
(c) Fighting the communists.
(d) Joining the army.
8. What is one gift Millie receives for Christmas?
(a) A sweater.
(b) A pair of shoes.
(c) A hat.
(d) A kite.
9. How does Jean get to Andrea's house?
(a) Her mother takes her.
10. How did Jean feel about the scenery around where they were staying?
(a) She thought the plains were too flat.
(b) The city was too crowded.
(c) She thought the ocean waves were soothing.
(d) She was impressed by the beauty of the mountains.
11. Who is Jean's best friend?
12. How does Jean feel about where she is living?
(a) That she is on the wrong side of the world.
(b) She thinks her family should move to a larger city in China.
(c) She thinks her family should move to a smaller city in China.
(d) She loves it.
13. What is Jean's family doing over the holidays similar to the Hullses?
(a) They are not celebrating Christmas.
(b) They are giving their employees bonuses.
(c) They are celebrating Hanukkah.
(d) They are also hosting Millie for awhile.
14. Where did Jean think their summer vacation would be?
(a) In Shaghai.
(b) In Beijing.
(c) In Peitaiho.
(d) In Hong Kong.
15. What was the new baby named?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Millie dutifully do on Christmas?
2. What does Jean think the kind of lifestyle the Hullses have would promote?
3. What does Jean's mother declare after hearing her reason for skipping school?
4. Who is Millie?
5. Why was Andrea Hull happy to be moving?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)