|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean refuse to do eventually at her school?
(a) Sing the opening song of the morning.
(b) Draw pictures of the King.
(c) Learn Chinese characters.
(d) Go outside and play.
2. Where does Jean go the next day after her confrontation?
(a) Into the city of Hankow.
(c) With her mother to work.
(d) With her father to work.
3. Who are generally not allowed in the British concession?
(a) Russian people.
(b) No one.
(c) French people.
(d) Chinese people.
4. What does Jean's mom say about Jean's request for Christmas?
(a) They are not allowed dogs where they live.
(b) They cannot afford a ticket right now.
(c) That is a wonderful idea.
(d) It is ridiculous.
5. What is a Chinese custom to which Lin Nai-Nai was subjected?
(b) Fertility rites.
(c) Foot binding.
6. What does Jean confess in her letters to her Grandma?
(a) That she sometimes does not try to be good.
(b) That she is depressed about living in China.
(c) That the English boys all beat up on her.
(d) That her father is never home.
7. What does Jean love about the river?
(a) Some aspects of the activity on the river.
(b) The birds on the river.
(c) The way the river creates waterfalls.
(d) The sound of its rushing waters.
8. Where does Jean's grandmother live?
9. Who is Millie?
(a) Jean's sister.
(b) An orphan the Hullses are caring for over the holidays.
(c) Andrea's sister.
(d) Andrea's nanny.
10. What does Jean dream of doing in America?
(a) Singing the "Star Spangled Banner".
(b) Having her own dog.
(c) Not being a second-class citizen.
(d) Doing things she cannot do in China.
11. What does Jean's mother do?
(a) Works for an international corporation.
(c) Works in the American embassy.
(d) Teaches English.
12. What is one thing Jean does in preparation for Christmas?
(a) Buy Millie a present.
(b) Make her parents presents.
(c) Make Audrey a present.
(d) Make David a present.
13. What does Jean think the kind of lifestyle the Hullses have would promote?
14. Who is Yang Sze Sze-Fu?
(a) The mayor of Hankow.
(b) The peasant who brings milk to Jean's school everyday.
(c) The headmaster of Jean's school.
(d) The cook for Jean's family.
15. When do the Hullses and Millie arrive for a Christmas celebration?
(a) Christmas Eve.
(b) Later in the day on Christmas.
(c) The day after Christmas.
(d) Early Christmas morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jean feel about where they were staying?
2. What is Christmas day like at Jean's home?
3. Where did the family travel the first couple of days of their vacation?
4. Where did Jean think their summer vacation would be?
5. Why was Andrea Hull happy to be moving?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)