|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean's mother do?
(a) Works in the American embassy.
(c) Works for an international corporation.
(d) Teaches English.
2. Why did Lin Nai-Nai leave her husband?
(a) Her husband is dead.
(b) He beat her.
(c) He wanted her to move to a farm.
(d) He took a second wife.
3. Where did the family travel the first couple of days of their vacation?
(a) Along the Yangtse River.
(b) Along the Yellow River.
(c) On the Watui River.
(d) Across theTalkinse Bay.
4. What does Jean think the kind of lifestyle the Hullses have would promote?
5. What did Jean and her mother listen to one night when they felt very tense?
(a) Dogs barking and crying.
(b) Police sirens.
(c) Houses being torn up.
(d) Screams and sounds of violence.
6. Why did Jean's father change vacation plans?
(a) Jean's mother did not want to travel.
(b) To stay closer to home.
(c) The communist did not allow travel.
(d) To save money.
7. How did Jean feel about where they were staying?
(a) She disliked the family.
(b) She loved her room.
(c) She hated her room.
(d) She was indifferent to it.
8. Who is Millie?
(a) An orphan the Hullses are caring for over the holidays.
(b) Andrea's nanny.
(c) Jean's sister.
(d) Andrea's sister.
9. What do the school children sing each day where Jean attends school?
(a) "The Lord's Prayer".
(c) "America the Beautiful".
(d) "God Save the King".
10. What is Jean's family doing over the holidays similar to the Hullses?
(a) They are giving their employees bonuses.
(b) They are not celebrating Christmas.
(c) They are celebrating Hanukkah.
(d) They are also hosting Millie for awhile.
11. Why does Jean not see her best friend often?
(a) The best friend's mother does not approve of Jean's parents.
(b) Jean's mother does not approve of the girl's parents.
(c) The best friend is only in the city every other month.
(d) The best friend lives in a rural area.
12. What does Millie dutifully do on Christmas?
(a) The dishes from Christmas dinner.
(b) Goes to church with the families.
(c) Say thank you for the presents.
(d) Play with the toys she receives.
13. Who is David?
(a) A boy the Hullses adopted.
(b) Andrea's twin brother.
(c) Jean's oldest brother.
(d) Jean's younger brother.
14. How does Jean get to Andrea's house?
(d) Her mother takes her.
15. How old is Jean when the book opens?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Jean shocked when her father announced his plans for summer vacation?
2. When do the Hullses and Millie arrive for a Christmas celebration?
3. What name does Jean wish she had been given?
4. Where is Jean living when the book opens?
5. What was the political situation like when Jean was eleven?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)