|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one gift Millie receives for Christmas?
(a) A kite.
(b) A sweater.
(c) A pair of shoes.
(d) A hat.
2. Why was Jean shocked when her father announced his plans for summer vacation?
(a) They were staying in Honkow.
(b) They were not going where they usually went.
(c) They were heading south.
(d) They were going to the ocean.
3. Who is Jean's teacher?
(a) Miss Breckenridge.
(b) Miss Jones.
(c) Miss Williams.
(d) Miss Stuart.
4. Why does Jean give part of her orange to a young Chinese boy?
(a) He asked her for it.
(b) He looked hungry.
(c) To curb his hostility.
(d) She refuses to give him her orange.
5. What do the Hullses stress in their lives?
(a) Strict moral behavior.
(b) Rigid role models for the boys and girls.
(c) Their mission to convert the Chinese people.
(d) Being free and natural.
6. Who is Lin Nai-Nai?
(a) The woman who cleans Jean's home.
(b) A teacher at Jean's school.
(c) The woman who cooks at Jean's school.
(d) Jean's nanny.
7. Why was Andrea Hull happy to be moving?
(a) They would live on the ocean.
(b) They would live where English was spoken.
(c) Their new home was very fancy.
(d) They were moving because her mother was pregnant.
8. What does David ask Jean to ask Millie to do?
(b) Find out his true parents.
(c) Ask her parents if he could visit Millie.
(d) Help him meet up with a boy at the orphanage.
9. What are coolies?
(a) Unskilled laborers.
(b) Hand towels that are wet and placed on the head in the heat.
(c) A group of kids in a class.
(d) One form of barter payment.
10. What does Jean refuse to do eventually at her school?
(a) Sing the opening song of the morning.
(b) Learn Chinese characters.
(c) Go outside and play.
(d) Draw pictures of the King.
11. What is one thing Jean does in preparation for Christmas?
(a) Buy Millie a present.
(b) Make David a present.
(c) Make Audrey a present.
(d) Make her parents presents.
12. What does Ian Forbes try to make Jean do?
(a) Carry his books.
(b) Say the phrase, "God Save the King."
(c) Give him her lunch money.
(d) Move off a swing he wants.
13. How did the family travel across the plains?
(a) By car.
(b) By horse drawn carriage.
(c) By ox cart.
(d) By train.
14. What does Jean's father do?
(a) He is dead.
(b) Teaches English.
(c) A diplomat.
(d) Director of the local YMCA.
15. Why does Jean feel sorry for the coolies?
(a) They are beaten badly.
(b) They cannot refuse a foreigner a ride.
(c) They live in tiny shacks.
(d) Their life of hard labor led to a very shortened average life span.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an Amah?
2. What is Jean's family doing over the holidays similar to the Hullses?
3. When do the Hullses and Millie arrive for a Christmas celebration?
4. What does Millie use the game of hide and seek to do?
5. Why is Andrea Hulls' family in China?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)