|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean love about the river?
(a) Some aspects of the activity on the river.
(b) The sound of its rushing waters.
(c) The way the river creates waterfalls.
(d) The birds on the river.
2. What does Jean call Mille?
(a) Missy Lee.
(d) Missy Mil.
3. Why was Andrea Hull happy to be moving?
(a) They would live where English was spoken.
(b) They were moving because her mother was pregnant.
(c) Their new home was very fancy.
(d) They would live on the ocean.
4. Why is Jean shocked when she arrives back home after her adventures in the city?
(a) Her father is being deported.
(b) Her teacher has resigned.
(c) Her mother lost her job.
(d) Miss Williams stopped by Jean's house.
5. Who is Lin Nai-Nai?
(a) The woman who cleans Jean's home.
(b) The woman who cooks at Jean's school.
(c) Jean's nanny.
(d) A teacher at Jean's school.
6. What does Jean's father tell her she can do?
(a) Clean Miss Jones' blackboards for a month.
(b) Sing "My Country 'Tis of Thee".
(c) Stand outside the classroom until the singing is over.
(d) Go to bed without supper for skipping school.
7. How do the Hullses sometimes appear in their home?
(c) Condescending to the hired help.
(d) Unfriendly to the hired help.
8. Why is Andrea Hulls' family in China?
(a) They are Christian missionaries.
(b) Her father is an architect helping rebuild after an earthquake.
(c) Andrea's mother is a doctor building a rural clinic.
(d) Because of the YMCA.
9. Why did Jean's parents not tell her that her mother was pregnant?
(a) Jean knew her mother was pregnant.
(b) Her mother was not certain.
(c) Jean was too young.
(d) It was a difficult pregnancy.
10. What was the political situation like when Jean was eleven?
(a) The Chinese government has been more open than usual.
(b) The Communists were about to stage a revolution.
(c) It was calm with a strong Chinese emperor.
(d) The Communists have been in power for a decade.
11. Where was Mr. Hull transferring?
(a) To Beijing.
(b) To Hong Kong.
(c) The Shaghai YMCA.
(d) To Chunjudo.
12. What river borders the city where Jean lives in China?
(a) The Yangtse.
(b) The Haihe.
(c) The Yellow.
(d) The Pearl.
13. What does Jean feel does not come naturally to her?
(a) Understanding the English.
(b) The Chinese language.
(c) Writing cursive.
(d) Being good.
14. Who are generally not allowed in the British concession?
(a) Chinese people.
(b) Russian people.
(c) No one.
(d) French people.
15. Where does Jean carve her initials?
(a) In her desk at school.
(b) On a tree near her house.
(c) On a Chinese junk.
(d) In wet cement near her house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jean give part of her orange to a young Chinese boy?
2. What does Jean explain to her teacher what she has refused to do?
3. What does Jean's father do?
4. Who calls Jean a foreign devil?
5. Who is Jean's teacher?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)