|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Jean shocked when she arrives back home after her adventures in the city?
(a) Miss Williams stopped by Jean's house.
(b) Her teacher has resigned.
(c) Her father is being deported.
(d) Her mother lost her job.
2. Where was Mr. Hull transferring?
(a) To Hong Kong.
(b) To Beijing.
(c) The Shaghai YMCA.
(d) To Chunjudo.
3. How do Andrea's parents get along?
(a) They ignore each other.
(b) Andrea's father is dead.
(c) They are so close they almost read each other's minds.
(d) They fight often.
4. What does Jean feel does not come naturally to her?
(a) Understanding the English.
(b) The Chinese language.
(c) Writing cursive.
(d) Being good.
5. Where does Jean carve her initials?
(a) On a tree near her house.
(b) On a Chinese junk.
(c) In wet cement near her house.
(d) In her desk at school.
6. What does Jean dream of doing in America?
(a) Not being a second-class citizen.
(b) Having her own dog.
(c) Singing the "Star Spangled Banner".
(d) Doing things she cannot do in China.
7. Who is Lin Nai-Nai?
(a) The woman who cooks at Jean's school.
(b) The woman who cleans Jean's home.
(c) Jean's nanny.
(d) A teacher at Jean's school.
8. When does Jean cry in front of her mother?
(a) When she is relating the story of getting lost in Hankow.
(b) When their father announces he lost his job.
(c) When her mother said they are moving back to the United States.
(d) When relating the story about Ian.
9. What is one present Jean receives for Christmas?
(a) A Parcheesi set.
(b) A jump rope.
(c) A chess set.
(d) A new jacket.
10. What does Jean love about the river?
(a) The birds on the river.
(b) The sound of its rushing waters.
(c) The way the river creates waterfalls.
(d) Some aspects of the activity on the river.
11. What did Jean's mother do right after she had the baby?
(a) Remained in the hospital.
(b) Went back to Honkow.
(c) Left for America.
(d) Came back on vacation.
12. What does Jean think the kind of lifestyle the Hullses have would promote?
13. What does Jean explain to her teacher what she has refused to do?
(a) That she wants to draw pictures of the American president instead.
(b) That she is an American and will not pledge to England.
(c) That she hates the red clay getting all over her clothes.
(d) That she hates China and does not want to learn to write Chinese.
14. What do the Hullses not think important?
(a) The identity of David's parents.
(b) Good schooling.
(c) David's desire to move back to America.
(d) Millie's race.
15. What river borders the city where Jean lives in China?
(a) The Yangtse.
(b) The Pearl.
(c) The Haihe.
(d) The Yellow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are coolies?
2. Why might the town where Jean's family usually went for vacation be nice for a summer vacation?
3. How did Jean feel about where they were staying?
4. Why did Jean's spirits improve about their vacation?
5. What does Jean's father tell her she can do?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)