|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean's father tell her she can do?
(a) Sing "My Country 'Tis of Thee".
(b) Go to bed without supper for skipping school.
(c) Clean Miss Jones' blackboards for a month.
(d) Stand outside the classroom until the singing is over.
2. What does Jean ask for as a Christmas present?
(a) A new name.
(b) A World Atlas.
(c) A ticket to America.
(d) A puppy.
3. Why was Andrea Hull happy to be moving?
(a) Their new home was very fancy.
(b) They were moving because her mother was pregnant.
(c) They would live on the ocean.
(d) They would live where English was spoken.
4. Why did Jean's mother have to go to the hospital?
(a) She was gettting headaches.
(b) She had female troubles.
(c) She caught TB.
(d) She had phlebitis.
5. What are coolies?
(a) A group of kids in a class.
(b) Hand towels that are wet and placed on the head in the heat.
(c) Unskilled laborers.
(d) One form of barter payment.
6. What began to happen in the city?
(a) The city stayed pretty much the same.
(b) A lot of murders.
(d) Food shortages.
7. What does Jean's father do?
(a) Director of the local YMCA.
(b) He is dead.
(c) Teaches English.
(d) A diplomat.
8. How does Jean feel about where she is living?
(a) That she is on the wrong side of the world.
(b) She loves it.
(c) She thinks her family should move to a larger city in China.
(d) She thinks her family should move to a smaller city in China.
9. How does Jean get to Andrea's house?
(a) Her mother takes her.
10. When does Jean cry in front of her mother?
(a) When she is relating the story of getting lost in Hankow.
(b) When her mother said they are moving back to the United States.
(c) When their father announces he lost his job.
(d) When relating the story about Ian.
11. What was the name of the cat Jean befriended?
12. Why did Lin Nai-Nai leave her husband?
(a) Her husband is dead.
(b) He beat her.
(c) He wanted her to move to a farm.
(d) He took a second wife.
13. What does Jean refuse to do eventually at her school?
(a) Draw pictures of the King.
(b) Go outside and play.
(c) Learn Chinese characters.
(d) Sing the opening song of the morning.
14. What does Millie use the game of hide and seek to do?
(a) Be mean to David.
(b) Run away.
(c) Be mean to Audrea.
(d) Be by herself.
15. What does Jean's mom say about Jean's request for Christmas?
(a) That is a wonderful idea.
(b) They are not allowed dogs where they live.
(c) They cannot afford a ticket right now.
(d) It is ridiculous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean call Mille?
2. Why does Jean wish to have that other name?
3. What do the Hullses stress in their lives?
4. Why might the town where Jean's family usually went for vacation be nice for a summer vacation?
5. What was the name of the YMCA family Jean's family stayed with on vacation?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)