|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jean's grandmother live?
2. In what town was Jean's family going to vacation?
3. What does Jean dream of doing in America?
(a) Singing the "Star Spangled Banner".
(b) Not being a second-class citizen.
(c) Doing things she cannot do in China.
(d) Having her own dog.
4. What does Jean love about the river?
(a) Some aspects of the activity on the river.
(b) The birds on the river.
(c) The way the river creates waterfalls.
(d) The sound of its rushing waters.
5. What does Jean's mother do?
(a) Works in the American embassy.
(c) Works for an international corporation.
(d) Teaches English.
6. Where is Jean living when the book opens?
7. What does Millie use the game of hide and seek to do?
(a) Run away.
(b) Be by herself.
(c) Be mean to Audrea.
(d) Be mean to David.
8. What does Jean refuse to do eventually at her school?
(a) Go outside and play.
(b) Draw pictures of the King.
(c) Sing the opening song of the morning.
(d) Learn Chinese characters.
9. What does Ian Forbes try to make Jean do?
(a) Say the phrase, "God Save the King."
(b) Move off a swing he wants.
(c) Give him her lunch money.
(d) Carry his books.
10. Why was Jean shocked when her father announced his plans for summer vacation?
(a) They were heading south.
(b) They were not going where they usually went.
(c) They were staying in Honkow.
(d) They were going to the ocean.
11. Why did Jean's mother have to go to the hospital?
(a) She had female troubles.
(b) She caught TB.
(c) She had phlebitis.
(d) She was gettting headaches.
12. Who is Lin Nai-Nai?
(a) Jean's nanny.
(b) The woman who cooks at Jean's school.
(c) A teacher at Jean's school.
(d) The woman who cleans Jean's home.
13. Where did the family travel the first couple of days of their vacation?
(a) Across theTalkinse Bay.
(b) On the Watui River.
(c) Along the Yangtse River.
(d) Along the Yellow River.
14. How did Jean feel about where they were staying?
(a) She was indifferent to it.
(b) She loved her room.
(c) She hated her room.
(d) She disliked the family.
15. What is Jean's family doing over the holidays similar to the Hullses?
(a) They are giving their employees bonuses.
(b) They are not celebrating Christmas.
(c) They are also hosting Millie for awhile.
(d) They are celebrating Hanukkah.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jean feel sorry for the coolies?
2. What was the name of the YMCA family Jean's family stayed with on vacation?
3. What does Jean explain to her teacher what she has refused to do?
4. What is one gift Millie receives for Christmas?
5. Where did Jean think their summer vacation would be?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)