|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For whom does Jean buy a pencil box?
2. What did Jean and her mother listen to one night when they felt very tense?
(a) Dogs barking and crying.
(b) Houses being torn up.
(c) Screams and sounds of violence.
(d) Police sirens.
3. How do the Hullses sometimes appear in their home?
(a) Unfriendly to the hired help.
(d) Condescending to the hired help.
4. What was the new baby named?
5. What does Millie dutifully do on Christmas?
(a) Say thank you for the presents.
(b) Goes to church with the families.
(c) Play with the toys she receives.
(d) The dishes from Christmas dinner.
6. When do the Hullses and Millie arrive for a Christmas celebration?
(a) Later in the day on Christmas.
(b) Early Christmas morning.
(c) Christmas Eve.
(d) The day after Christmas.
7. Why is Jean shocked when she arrives back home after her adventures in the city?
(a) Miss Williams stopped by Jean's house.
(b) Her teacher has resigned.
(c) Her father is being deported.
(d) Her mother lost her job.
8. What does Jean refuse to do eventually at her school?
(a) Draw pictures of the King.
(b) Learn Chinese characters.
(c) Go outside and play.
(d) Sing the opening song of the morning.
9. What is Christmas day like at Jean's home?
(b) Melancholy because of the political tension.
(d) Upset as her parents are fighting.
10. How do Andrea's parents get along?
(a) Andrea's father is dead.
(b) They fight often.
(c) They ignore each other.
(d) They are so close they almost read each other's minds.
11. Who is David?
(a) Jean's younger brother.
(b) A boy the Hullses adopted.
(c) Jean's oldest brother.
(d) Andrea's twin brother.
12. What is one gift Millie receives for Christmas?
(a) A hat.
(b) A pair of shoes.
(c) A sweater.
(d) A kite.
13. How does Jean get to Andrea's house?
(d) Her mother takes her.
14. What was the name of the YMCA family Jean's family stayed with on vacation?
(a) The Kilgores.
(b) The Blackburns.
(c) The Flynns.
(d) The Jordans.
15. Why did Jean's spirits improve about their vacation?
(a) Her father would stay with them the entire time.
(b) It would be longer than usual.
(c) Andrea would be able to visit.
(d) She would miss the few last days of school.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Jean cry in front of her mother?
2. Why was Jean shocked when her father announced his plans for summer vacation?
3. What does Jean explain to her teacher what she has refused to do?
4. Why does Jean wish to have that other name?
5. How does Jean feel about where she is living?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)