|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the political situation like when Jean was eleven?
(a) The Chinese government has been more open than usual.
(b) The Communists were about to stage a revolution.
(c) It was calm with a strong Chinese emperor.
(d) The Communists have been in power for a decade.
2. Who is David?
(a) A boy the Hullses adopted.
(b) Jean's younger brother.
(c) Jean's oldest brother.
(d) Andrea's twin brother.
3. What does Jean confess in her letters to her Grandma?
(a) That she sometimes does not try to be good.
(b) That the English boys all beat up on her.
(c) That her father is never home.
(d) That she is depressed about living in China.
4. What is a Chinese custom to which Lin Nai-Nai was subjected?
(a) Fertility rites.
(c) Foot binding.
5. What does Jean call Mille?
(a) Missy Mil.
(b) Missy Lee.
6. Where did Jean think their summer vacation would be?
(a) In Beijing.
(b) In Hong Kong.
(c) In Peitaiho.
(d) In Shaghai.
7. In what town was Jean's family going to vacation?
8. What are coolies?
(a) Hand towels that are wet and placed on the head in the heat.
(b) One form of barter payment.
(c) A group of kids in a class.
(d) Unskilled laborers.
9. How do Andrea's parents get along?
(a) They fight often.
(b) Andrea's father is dead.
(c) They ignore each other.
(d) They are so close they almost read each other's minds.
10. What does Jean's mother do?
(a) Works for an international corporation.
(b) Teaches English.
(d) Works in the American embassy.
11. Where does Jean carve her initials?
(a) On a tree near her house.
(b) In wet cement near her house.
(c) In her desk at school.
(d) On a Chinese junk.
12. What did Jean's mother do right after she had the baby?
(a) Remained in the hospital.
(b) Went back to Honkow.
(c) Left for America.
(d) Came back on vacation.
13. How does Jean feel about where she is living?
(a) She thinks her family should move to a smaller city in China.
(b) She thinks her family should move to a larger city in China.
(c) That she is on the wrong side of the world.
(d) She loves it.
14. What name does Jean wish she had been given?
15. When does Jean cry in front of her mother?
(a) When her mother said they are moving back to the United States.
(b) When she is relating the story of getting lost in Hankow.
(c) When relating the story about Ian.
(d) When their father announces he lost his job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lin Nai-Nai?
2. Why did Jean's spirits improve about their vacation?
3. What does Jean think the kind of lifestyle the Hullses have would promote?
4. What does Jean's father do?
5. What began to happen in the city?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)