|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jean wish to have that other name?
(a) It reminds her of her beloved Aunt Julie.
(b) It sounds more French to her.
(c) It sounds high class to her.
(d) It sounds more American to her.
2. What upsets Jean about her father's announcement about leaving for the States?
(a) He says he is hoping to be sent to Japan from China.
(b) He says their departure may be delayed.
(c) He says he is staying in China.
(d) He says he is hoping things will settle down so they can stay in China.
3. What is a Chinese custom to which Lin Nai-Nai was subjected?
(b) Foot binding.
(d) Fertility rites.
4. What do the coolies demand after the family goes a short distance?
(a) More money.
(b) That the men in the group help carry the bags.
(c) That the family wait at a seedy-looking building.
(d) Jean's father's watch.
5. Who is David?
(a) Jean's oldest brother.
(b) Andrea's twin brother.
(c) A boy the Hullses adopted.
(d) Jean's younger brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Margaret, Isobel and Nancy?
2. Why does Jean become paranoid?
3. What name does Jean wish she had been given?
4. What do the Hus give Jean's family?
5. How does Jean's mother get to the river?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)