|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean dream of doing in America?
(a) Having her own dog.
(b) Singing the "Star Spangled Banner".
(c) Doing things she cannot do in China.
(d) Not being a second-class citizen.
2. What does Jean's mother do?
(b) Works for an international corporation.
(c) Teaches English.
(d) Works in the American embassy.
3. Why does Jean not see her best friend often?
(a) The best friend lives in a rural area.
(b) The best friend's mother does not approve of Jean's parents.
(c) Jean's mother does not approve of the girl's parents.
(d) The best friend is only in the city every other month.
4. Who calls Jean a foreign devil?
(a) A young boy.
(b) Her teacher.
(c) A Chinese policeman.
(d) No one.
5. Where was Mr. Hull transferring?
(a) To Hong Kong.
(b) The Shaghai YMCA.
(c) To Beijing.
(d) To Chunjudo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Jean living when the book opens?
2. When do the Hullses and Millie arrive for a Christmas celebration?
3. Who are generally not allowed in the British concession?
4. Where does Jean carve her initials?
5. What does Millie dutifully do on Christmas?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)