|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Tanu?
2. What does Koly notice as they travel to the temple in Vrindavan?
3. Why does Chandra visit her parents' home in the beginning of Chapter 7?
4. What do Tanu and Koly think of bangle making?
5. How does Koly sneak out to go to Mala's party after Maa Kamala tells her that she cannot go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the room that Koly stays in at Maa Kamala's.
2. Describe the two friends that Koly finds in Chapter 6.
3. Explain why the benefactor funds the widow's home where Koly stays.
4. Describe how Koly's feelings of loneliness change after moving in to Maa Kamala's.
5. Explain how Koly ends up in possession of the Tagore book.
6. How does the rickshaw driver help Koly in Chapter 8?
7. Describe Koly's financial situation in Chapter 8.
8. Describe Koly's first day of work stringing marigolds.
9. Describe Koly's first day at Mr. Das's shop.
10. Describe Sass's behavior on the train ride to her brother's home.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used throughout the novel. Select one of the following questions to answer:
1) Discuss examples of foreshadowing involving Raji, Hari, and Koly.
2) What items or objects in the story have foreshadowing linked to them? Choose three items (like the Tagore book, the earrings, a quilt, the rickshaw...) and explain with details.
3) What foreshadowing is evident with these characters: Mala, Sassur, Koly, Mr. Das, Sass, Raji, Hari, Chandra?
Essay Topic 2
The metaphor of Koly as a homeless bird has significance in many places of the story. Choose one of the options below to write about.
1) Analyze the use of animals in the novel to symbolize Koly's plight, to ease her loneliness, and to serve other purposes.
2) Choose two other characters and use a metaphor to describe their situations in the story. Use examples to explain your choices.
3) Describe how Koly's journey towards freedom required her to break out of many cages.
Essay Topic 3
Chandra and Koly are about the same age and have similar backgrounds.
1) Is Chandra a good friend to Koly?
2) How would the story have been different if Hari had no sister?
3) Will both girls have a happy life? Explain.
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)