|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Koly feel when it is time to leave Sass's house?
2. How does the driver of the rickshaw help Koly to get some food?
3. What does Koly think of her first job in Vrindavan?
4. What life changing event occurs in Chapter 6?
5. What importance do the bandicoot and stray dog have for Koly in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Koly's first day at Mr. Das's shop.
2. Describe the service run by Maa Kamala's.
3. Describe Koly and Sass's first interaction with the rickshaw driver.
4. How does the rickshaw driver help Koly in Chapter 8?
5. Describe Koly's first day of work stringing marigolds.
6. Explain why the benefactor funds the widow's home where Koly stays.
7. What happens when Koly cannot find Sass at the temple after taking the 50 rupees to buy lunch?
8. What happens on the day that Koly sees the rickshaw driver at the train station, before he brings her to the widow's home?
9. Describe the two friends that Koly finds in Chapter 6.
10. Describe the losses Koly attempts to deal with in Chapter 6.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The metaphor of Koly as a homeless bird has significance in many places of the story. Choose one of the options below to write about.
1) Analyze the use of animals in the novel to symbolize Koly's plight, to ease her loneliness, and to serve other purposes.
2) Choose two other characters and use a metaphor to describe their situations in the story. Use examples to explain your choices.
3) Describe how Koly's journey towards freedom required her to break out of many cages.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the impact of good health and illness on the plot line of the story. At what points in the novel does the health of a character result in a major change in the direction of the story? Do any of the characters have choices in the occurrence or in the direction that their lives took at this point? Explain why or why not. Is health or financial status more important to the outcomes of the lives of the characters in this novel? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Hari and Koly are both very young people forced into marriage.
1) What foreshadowing exists in the novel that predicts the outcome of their marriage?
2) How does Hari's existence continue to affect Koly after he is gone?
3) What positive and negative outcomes result from Hari and Koly's marriage?
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)