|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Tanu and Koly think of bangle making?
2. Who does Koly wait with at the train station on her second visit there?
3. Where does Koly go when she sneaks away from Maa Kamala's to meet Raji?
4. What happens to the stray dog in Chapter 6?
5. Who is Tanu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Koly cannot find Sass at the temple after taking the 50 rupees to buy lunch?
2. Describe the service run by Maa Kamala's.
3. Describe Koly's first day at Mr. Das's shop.
4. Describe the losses Koly attempts to deal with in Chapter 6.
5. Describe Koly's financial situation in Chapter 8.
6. What happens on the day that Koly sees the rickshaw driver at the train station, before he brings her to the widow's home?
7. Explain why the benefactor funds the widow's home where Koly stays.
8. Describe Koly's first day of work stringing marigolds.
9. Explain Sassur's feelings regarding computers.
10. Describe the two friends that Koly finds in Chapter 6.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Finances and money dictate the lives of the majority of characters in this novel. From the viewpoint of the impact of money, answer the questions below.
1) How does a dowry work for and against the characters in the story? How does it work for or against this society overall?
2) Explain the attitude toward women and work in Koly's society. Choose a character and explain how that attitude impacts her life.
3) Compare and contrast the economic situation in Koly's society to that of your own. Describe the similarities and differences and where you believe they come from. How would Koly's story be different if taken out of the context of her location?
Essay Topic 2
Hari and Koly are both very young people forced into marriage.
1) What foreshadowing exists in the novel that predicts the outcome of their marriage?
2) How does Hari's existence continue to affect Koly after he is gone?
3) What positive and negative outcomes result from Hari and Koly's marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the use of irony and foreshadowing with the following events:
1) Sass's abandonment of Koly.
2) Koly's desire to run away from her marriage and from Sass's home.
3) Sassur's decision to break tradition and teach Koly to read.
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)