|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Koly think of the cake at the traditional feast?
2. Where are Hari's ashes scattered?
3. What does Koly imagine doing as she daydreams in Chapter 4?
4. What do Koly and her new family ride past on the train to Varanasi?
5. Why does Koly get married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Koly and the Mehtas arrive in Varanasi that indicates that Mr. and Mrs. Mehta are embarrassed that they married Hari so young and for the money?
2. Explain how Hari and Koly bond in their short first meeting.
3. Explain Koly''s reaction to hearing Sass and Sassur discuss the use of her widow's pension.
4. What does Koly do to try to soothe her grief over being a widow and her poor treatment by Sass in Chapter 4?
5. What is Koly's relationship with Sassur like in Chapter 4, after Hari's death?
6. Explain Chandra's expectations of her family's trip to the Ganges River.
7. How does the train ride to Varanasi seem to indicate that the outcome of this journey will be a poor one?
8. Explain what Koly's daydreams consist of in Chapter 4, after Hari's death.
9. Explain why Hari and his parents are arguing on Koly's second night in her new home.
10. Describe Koly's first meetings with her new family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The metaphor of Koly as a homeless bird has significance in many places of the story. Choose one of the options below to write about.
1) Analyze the use of animals in the novel to symbolize Koly's plight, to ease her loneliness, and to serve other purposes.
2) Choose two other characters and use a metaphor to describe their situations in the story. Use examples to explain your choices.
3) Describe how Koly's journey towards freedom required her to break out of many cages.
Essay Topic 2
Chandra and Koly are about the same age and have similar backgrounds.
1) Is Chandra a good friend to Koly?
2) How would the story have been different if Hari had no sister?
3) Will both girls have a happy life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Imagine that Hari had recovered and lived.
1)What would Koly's life have been like then?
2) Would she be happy living with the Mehtas?
3) Would Hari have been a good husband?
4) Would Sass be any more kind-hearted if her son had not died?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)