|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Koly react when the rickshaw driver tells her that Sass has abandoned her?
(a) She is numb.
(b) She cries.
(c) She laughs hysterically.
(d) She is relieved.
2. What life changing event occurs in Chapter 6?
(a) Sassur dies.
(b) Koly's father dies and she returns home.
(c) Sassur loses his job.
(d) Sass's brother dies and leaves her an inheritance.
3. What is true of life at the Mehta's home once Chandra is married?
(a) Sass is bitter and Sassur is depressed.
(b) There is twice as much work for Koly.
(c) There is now enough for everyone.
(d) Sass begins to open up to Koly.
4. What is true of Sass during Chandra's first visit home?
(a) She is in good spirits.
(b) She is sickly.
(c) She tends to Sassur constantly.
(d) She keeps busy making baby shoes.
5. Where does Koly go when she sneaks away from Maa Kamala's to meet Raji?
(a) To his stand at the market.
(b) To a river.
(c) To the site of his future factory.
(d) To a temple.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Koly and Sass travel in Vrindavan?
2. What best describes Mala?
3. How does Koly begin to help Raji after he hears her read the poem of the homeless bird?
4. Where does Koly find food and a bed in Vrindavan?
5. Where does Sassur go when Sass tries to speak to him regarding difficulties in the house in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the room that Koly stays in at Maa Kamala's.
2. Describe the losses Koly attempts to deal with in Chapter 6.
3. How and why does Koly try to please Sass after Chandra is gone?
4. Describe Koly's introduction to Maa Kamala's home.
5. What is the importance of Koly's visit to the government office in Chapter 6?
6. Describe Koly's first day of work stringing marigolds.
7. Describe Sass's behavior on the train ride to her brother's home.
8. Explain how Tagore is important to Koly in Chapter 9.
9. Describe Chandra's feelings about her marriage in Chapter 7.
10. Who is Mala and what is she like?
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)