|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chandra tell Koly about her new husband?
(a) He is lazy.
(b) He is cruel.
(c) He works late every night.
(d) He makes good money.
2. What do Koly and the women at the widow's home sometimes do after dinner?
(a) Tanu plays a small harp for them.
(b) They sing.
(c) Maa Kamala teaches them to read.
(d) Koly reads poems to them.
3. What do Koly and Tanu do for work on Koly's first morning at Maa Kamala's?
(a) They string marigolds for garlands.
(b) They do laundry.
(c) They make bangles from beads.
(d) They embroider saris.
4. What best describes Koly's bandicoot?
(a) Cuddly and soft with chesnut brown fur.
(b) Fearful and thin.
(c) Aggressive with an angry black stripe down its middle.
(d) Ugly with tiny eyes and large pointed ears.
5. How does Koly react when the rickshaw driver tells her that Sass has abandoned her?
(a) She cries.
(b) She is numb.
(c) She laughs hysterically.
(d) She is relieved.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Koly see in the marketplace on her way home from the government office in Chapter 6?
2. How does the driver of the rickshaw help Koly to get some food?
3. Why does Koly return to the train station after spending a week in Vrindavan?
4. Who is Tanu?
5. What is a Chula?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Chandra's feelings about her marriage in Chapter 7.
2. What happens on the day that Koly sees the rickshaw driver at the train station, before he brings her to the widow's home?
3. Explain how Koly ends up in possession of the Tagore book.
4. How does the rickshaw driver help Koly in Chapter 8?
5. Describe Koly's introduction to Maa Kamala's home.
6. Explain why the benefactor funds the widow's home where Koly stays.
7. Describe how Koly's feelings of loneliness change after moving in to Maa Kamala's.
8. Explain how Tagore is important to Koly in Chapter 9.
9. Describe the losses Koly attempts to deal with in Chapter 6.
10. Describe Sass's behavior on the train ride to her brother's home.
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)