|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is notable about Sassur's favorite book of poetry that might make it valuable?
(a) It is signed by the author.
(b) It has gold woven in the cover.
(c) It is signed by a holy man.
(d) It was handwritten three generations ago..
2. What does Sass give to Koly after Hari's death?
(b) A white cotton sari.
(c) A train ticket.
(d) A black cotton sari.
3. What does Koly's father give her before leaving her at her new home?
(a) The family quilt.
(b) A letter.
(c) His mother's sari.
(d) A slice of coconut cake.
4. What does Koly's prospective father-in-law want before he takes her to meet his son?
(a) The dowry.
(b) The silver earrings.
(c) To look at her teeth.
(d) To ask questions to determine her character.
5. What is Koly told about the husband her parents have chosen for her?
(a) That he is from a good caste and has had schooling.
(b) That he is from a good caste and the family has money.
(c) That he is handsome and kind.
(d) That he is handsome and has good prospects.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Koly's first impression of her new husband?
2. What does Koly imagine doing as she daydreams in Chapter 4?
3. What does Koly want to do when she learns her parents have selected a husband for her?
4. What activity does Koly undertake to remember Hari and to soothe her soul?
5. Where does Koly's wedding ceremony take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Koly and the Mehtas arrive in Varanasi that indicates that Mr. and Mrs. Mehta are embarrassed that they married Hari so young and for the money?
2. Sass demands, for the second time, that Koly give her the silver earrings. Explain why keeping these earrings is so important to Koly in Chapter 5.
3. Describe Koly's wedding gift to Chandra.
4. Describe Koly's first night in her new home after she is married.
5. Describe Koly's first meetings with her new family.
6. How does Sass justify her refusal to give Koly her pension money when Koly tells her she wants it?
7. Explain the reaction of Koly's parents to their first meeting with the Mehtas.
8. Describe Koly's prospective husband and family, and explain why this is considered a good match.
9. In Chapter 2, Koly learns details of her marriage and Hari's illness from Chandra that greatly upset her. Explain.
10. Why does Sass treat Koly so poorly?
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)