|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Koly feel about not being allowed to help Chandra dress on her wedding day?
(a) She doesn't care.
(d) Very disappointed.
2. What does Koly imagine doing as she daydreams in Chapter 4?
(a) Returning to her parents' home.
(b) Living with only Chandra.
(c) Having a good husband and a child.
(d) Selling her quilts to support herself.
3. What is notable about Sassur's favorite book of poetry that might make it valuable?
(a) It is signed by the author.
(b) It was handwritten three generations ago..
(c) It has gold woven in the cover.
(d) It is signed by a holy man.
4. Who accompanies Koly to her prospective husband's home?
(a) Her parents and brothers.
(b) Her parents.
(c) Just her father.
(d) Her father and her brothers.
5. Why does Koly begin to enjoy her clothes washing time at the river after Hari's death in Chapter 4?
(a) She meets a friend.
(b) She finds time to read.
(c) She finds time to work on her special project.
(d) She learns to read.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Koly do when she wakes up at Hari's house the first morning after her wedding?
2. What financial impact would Koly's return have on her family?
3. What does Koly see after Hari's cremation that makes her think of him?
4. What does Chandra ask Koly to do before the family leaves for Varanasi?
5. How does Koly feel as she watches Chandra leave with her new husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Koly's marriage is expected to benefit her family.
2. How is Hari's death addressed?
3. Describe Koly's wedding gift to Chandra.
4. Describe Koly's prospective husband and family, and explain why this is considered a good match.
5. Explain how Hari and Koly bond in their short first meeting.
6. Explain what Koly's daydreams consist of in Chapter 4, after Hari's death.
7. Describe Koly's first morning as a married woman.
8. Explain what Hari's doctor has to say about the family's trip to the Ganges, and his parents' response.
9. Explain Koly''s reaction to hearing Sass and Sassur discuss the use of her widow's pension.
10. How does the train ride to Varanasi seem to indicate that the outcome of this journey will be a poor one?
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)