|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Chandra's response when Koly questions her about the widow's pension?
(a) Surprise that Koly didn't know about it.
(b) Surprise because Chandra didn't know about it.
(c) Gratitude that Koly is now taken care of.
(d) Anger that Koly would mention it.
2. What is notable about Sassur's favorite book of poetry that might make it valuable?
(a) It is signed by a holy man.
(b) It is signed by the author.
(c) It has gold woven in the cover.
(d) It was handwritten three generations ago..
3. When does Koly work on the activity she undertakes to remember Hari and soothe her soul?
(a) Early in the morning.
(b) When she goes to the river.
(c) Whenever Sass leaves.
(d) Only late at night.
4. What is Koly's concern about Chandra's new husband?
(a) That he is disfigured and unable to father children.
(b) That he is too young for her.
(c) That he is too old for her.
(d) That he won't be a good match.
5. Who escorts Hari's body to be cremated?
(a) The Lals and the Mehtas.
(b) His parents and his wife.
(c) His parents.
(d) The men.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sass want Koly to help with Hari's breakfast her first morning after the wedding?
2. Where does Chandra's wedding sari come from?
3. What is Koly's role in Chandra's wedding ceremony?
4. What does Hari collect?
5. Why does Koly begin to enjoy her clothes washing time at the river after Hari's death in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Koly's first morning as a married woman.
2. Sass demands, for the second time, that Koly give her the silver earrings. Explain why keeping these earrings is so important to Koly in Chapter 5.
3. How is the role of women in India at this time depicted in Koly's role at Chandra's wedding?
4. What does Koly do to try to soothe her grief over being a widow and her poor treatment by Sass in Chapter 4?
5. Describe the events that lead up to an envelope with Koly's name arriving at the Mehta's house each month.
6. Describe the evening of, and the events leading up to, Hari's death.
7. Explain how Koly's parents earn income for the family.
8. How is Hari's death addressed?
9. Explain Chandra's expectations of her family's trip to the Ganges River.
10. What is Koly's relationship with Sassur like in Chapter 4, after Hari's death?
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)