|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the local healer come to see Hari the night before his trip?
(a) To ask a favor.
(b) To accompany Hari on the trip the next day.
(c) To build his strength for the trip the next day.
(d) To deliver herbs for Hari's pain.
2. Where do Sassur and Chandra go on Koly's first day in their home?
(a) He goes to sell the cow and she goes to buy medicine.
(b) They both go to the school.
(c) They both go to the market to work.
(d) He goes to school and she goes to the river.
3. What is Chandra's response when Koly questions her about the widow's pension?
(a) Surprise that Koly didn't know about it.
(b) Surprise because Chandra didn't know about it.
(c) Gratitude that Koly is now taken care of.
(d) Anger that Koly would mention it.
4. What does Koly see being placed in the baggage car of the train before they embark on their trip to Varanasi?
(a) Many urns.
(b) Her quilt.
(c) Her traveling chest.
(d) Live animals.
5. What does the doctor recommend to Sass and Sassur in Chapter 2?
(a) That they take Hari to the famous healer.
(b) That they take Hari to the healing waters.
(c) That they let Koly accompany Hari on the trip.
(d) That they do not take Hari on the long trip they have planned.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are computers viewed by Chandra and Sass?
2. Where does Chandra's wedding sari come from?
3. What is true about Chandra's intended husband?
4. Who accompanies Koly to her prospective husband's home?
5. What does Hari collect?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Koly do to try to soothe her grief over being a widow and her poor treatment by Sass in Chapter 4?
2. Explain how Hari and Koly bond in their short first meeting.
3. Explain why Hari and his parents are arguing on Koly's second night in her new home.
4. How is Hari's death addressed?
5. Describe Koly's wedding gift to Chandra.
6. How is the role of women in India at this time depicted in Koly's role at Chandra's wedding?
7. In Chapter 2, Koly learns details of her marriage and Hari's illness from Chandra that greatly upset her. Explain.
8. Explain how Koly's marriage is expected to benefit her family.
9. Why does Sass treat Koly so poorly?
10. Describe Koly's first morning as a married woman.
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)