|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Koly see in the marketplace on her way home from the government office in Chapter 6?
(a) Sassur talking to a group of men.
(b) A blinded bird and a caged monkey.
(c) A widow selling her possessions.
(d) A matchmaker who knew Hari.
2. How does Koly feel about working for Mr. Das?
(a) It's an escape from Maa Kamala's.
(b) It is boring, but she is grateful for the money.
(c) It's important to her.
(d) She feels stifled.
3. Who does Koly wait with at the train station on her second visit there?
(a) Mr. Lal and his wife.
(c) A family waiting for a train.
(d) Her brother.
4. What does Sass give Koly while they are in Vrindavan?
(a) The silver earrings.
(b) An address.
(c) 50 rupees.
(d) A name and phone number.
5. Where does Koly spend her first full week sleeping in Vrindavan?
(a) Behind the farmer's barn on his haystack.
(b) At the train station.
(c) At the temple.
(d) On the same spot she spent her first night.
6. Where does Koly go when she sneaks away from Maa Kamala's to meet Raji?
(a) To a river.
(b) To his stand at the market.
(c) To the site of his future factory.
(d) To a temple.
7. Who is Tanu?
(a) A worker at the government office.
(b) Koly's roommate.
(c) The woman who sells marigold garlands.
(d) An elderly widow.
8. Who sends a letter to Sass in Chapter 7?
(a) The government.
(b) Her brother.
(c) A business man in Delhi.
9. What does Koly think of her first job in Vrindavan?
(a) It is fun and she loses track of time.
(b) It is tedious and painful on her fingers.
(c) It is fun because she makes friends quickly.
(d) It is easy, but the smell is overwhelming.
10. Why does Raji tell Koly he is living in the city?
(a) To save money for seeds.
(b) To help his mother.
(c) To make money to send to his wife.
(d) To start a factory with his uncle.
11. What do Tanu and Koly think of bangle making?
(a) Tanu likes it and Koly finds it boring.
(b) Koly likes it and Tanu finds it boring.
(c) Both girls find it painful.
(d) Both girls love the challenge.
12. What happens to the food in the Mehta household as Sass eats less and less?
(a) Sass is even stingier with it.
(b) Koly eats more and feels stronger than she has in years.
(c) Sass allows a boarder to stay and share their meals.
(d) Sass and Koly share it with the family next door.
13. How does Koly feel at Maa Kamala's home?
14. What event occurs at Mala's party?
(a) A man paints a picture of Koly.
(b) Raji tells Koly he is married.
(c) Koly meets a widow and later brings her to Maa Kamala's.
(d) A man puts a drug in Koly's drink.
15. Why does Sass sell her house?
(a) To move to her brother's house in Delhi.
(b) Koly has a job in Delhi.
(c) She has a job in Delhi.
(d) To move to a widow's apartment in Delhi.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes the train ride that Koly and Sass take to Delhi?
2. What job is Koly told she will have in Chapter 8?
3. How does Koly sneak out to go to Mala's party after Maa Kamala tells her that she cannot go?
4. What best describes Koly's bandicoot?
5. What are some of the things that Koly does after Chandra leaves to try and please Sass?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)