|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to see Koly the day after she returns to work in chapter 10 after being sick?
2. What does Koly think of her first job in Vrindavan?
(a) It is tedious and painful on her fingers.
(b) It is fun because she makes friends quickly.
(c) It is easy, but the smell is overwhelming.
(d) It is fun and she loses track of time.
3. Who is Maa Kamala?
(a) The woman who sells marigold garlands.
(b) The rickshaw driver's aunt.
(c) Koly's roommate.
(d) The woman who runs a widow's home.
4. What importance do the bandicoot and stray dog have for Koly in Chapter 6?
(a) They are her only friends.
(b) She becomes a teacher as she trains them.
(c) They represent the abundance of food.
(d) She names then for Hari and Chandra.
5. Why does Koly have a hard time sleeping her first night in Vrindavan?
(a) She is worried about money and her situation.
(b) The traffic and drunks are very loud.
(c) It rains very hard and she is wet.
(d) She is making a plan for the next day.
6. What does the rickshaw driver tell her about widows in Vrindavan?
(a) That they die quickly.
(b) That there is much work for them.
(c) That they are treated with respect.
(d) That they are left all the time.
7. What does Sass do to make money for her and Koly to live on?
(a) Does laundry.
(b) Sells the widow's sari she had given to Koly.
(c) Hires Koly out as a servant.
(d) Sells her own possessions.
8. What is a Chula?
(a) A small stove.
(b) A poem.
(c) A quilt of remembrance.
(d) A prayer.
9. What does the rickshaw driver at the train station tell Koly?
(a) That Sass left on a train.
(b) That the Delhi train is delayed.
(c) That Sass was taken in an ambulance.
(d) That the widow's home in Delhi was burned to the ground.
10. Why do Koly's dreams of leaving Sass end in Chapter 7?
(a) Sass becomes ill and Koly cares for her.
(b) She and Sass become friendly.
(c) She no longer has the silver earrings.
(d) Koly becomes ill and dependent on Sass.
11. What is true of Sassur's job in Chapter 6?
(a) He is stressed by a boss who hates him.
(b) He cannot keep up with the technology.
(c) He is promoted.
(d) He is given a substantial raise.
12. What best describes the train ride that Koly and Sass take to Delhi?
(a) Crowded and hot.
(b) Depressing and smelly.
(c) Loud and exciting.
(d) Relaxed and exciting.
13. What is true of life at the Mehta's home once Chandra is married?
(a) There is twice as much work for Koly.
(b) Sass begins to open up to Koly.
(c) Sass is bitter and Sassur is depressed.
(d) There is now enough for everyone.
14. What happens when Sass decides to sell the Tagore book for some extra money?
(a) It is stolen in town before she can sell it.
(b) Koly hides it from her.
(c) Koly gives her the silver earrings instead.
(d) She discovers money in the back flap.
15. What does Koly do at the temples on her first day alone in Vrindavan?
(a) Tries to pray.
(b) Steals food from the bins.
(c) Helps a young girl to get food.
(d) Hides in a corner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is true of Sassur after Chandra leaves to get married?
2. Who is Raji?
3. How does Koly sneak out to go to Mala's party after Maa Kamala tells her that she cannot go?
4. Why does Sass say that she and Koly should stop in Vrindavan on their way to Delhi?
5. What happens to the food in the Mehta household as Sass eats less and less?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)