|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Tanu?
(a) The woman who sells marigold garlands.
(b) Koly's roommate.
(c) An elderly widow.
(d) A worker at the government office.
2. After Mr. Das chastises Koly for copying someone else's design, what does she embroider for him?
(a) The Ganges and a funeral procession.
(b) A heron.
(c) A mango tree.
(d) Silver earrings.
3. How do Koly and Sass travel in Vrindavan?
(a) By rickshaw.
(b) On foot.
(c) They rent bicycles.
(d) By hansom cab.
4. What importance do the bandicoot and stray dog have for Koly in Chapter 6?
(a) She becomes a teacher as she trains them.
(b) She names then for Hari and Chandra.
(c) They represent the abundance of food.
(d) They are her only friends.
5. Why does the rickshaw driver leave Koly at the train station in the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) The police chase him away.
(b) He believes she brings bad luck.
(c) He must go home to his family.
(d) He has a fare.
6. What does Sass do to make money for her and Koly to live on?
(a) Sells her own possessions.
(b) Hires Koly out as a servant.
(c) Does laundry.
(d) Sells the widow's sari she had given to Koly.
7. What does the rickshaw driver at the train station tell Koly?
(a) That Sass was taken in an ambulance.
(b) That Sass left on a train.
(c) That the Delhi train is delayed.
(d) That the widow's home in Delhi was burned to the ground.
8. What happens when Koly visits the government office in Vrindavan during her first week in the city?
(a) She gets her full pension in cash.
(b) She is offered a job.
(c) She receives her first check only to have it stolen.
(d) She is told she can't receive her pension without an address.
9. What does Sass give Koly while they are in Vrindavan?
(a) An address.
(b) 50 rupees.
(c) The silver earrings.
(d) A name and phone number.
10. What do Koly and the women at the widow's home sometimes do after dinner?
(a) Koly reads poems to them.
(b) Tanu plays a small harp for them.
(c) Maa Kamala teaches them to read.
(d) They sing.
11. Why does Maa Kamala keep half of Koly's pay?
(a) To pay for her living expenses.
(b) To put into a savings account for Koly.
(c) To pay for her trouble.
(d) To pay for beading supplies.
12. Why does Raji tell Koly he is living in the city?
(a) To help his mother.
(b) To make money to send to his wife.
(c) To save money for seeds.
(d) To start a factory with his uncle.
13. What do Tanu and Koly think of bangle making?
(a) Both girls love the challenge.
(b) Tanu likes it and Koly finds it boring.
(c) Both girls find it painful.
(d) Koly likes it and Tanu finds it boring.
14. What is a Chula?
(a) A quilt of remembrance.
(b) A poem.
(c) A small stove.
(d) A prayer.
15. What happens to the food in the Mehta household as Sass eats less and less?
(a) Koly eats more and feels stronger than she has in years.
(b) Sass allows a boarder to stay and share their meals.
(c) Sass is even stingier with it.
(d) Sass and Koly share it with the family next door.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Koly sleep on her first night in Vrindavan?
2. What event occurs at Mala's party?
3. Why does Sassur stop reading Tagore's poems after Chandra is gone?
4. Why does Sass say that she and Koly should stop in Vrindavan on their way to Delhi?
5. What happens when Sass decides to sell the Tagore book for some extra money?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)