|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What object of Hari's does Koly ask Sassur if she can have?
(a) His butterflies.
(b) His journal.
(c) A cap.
(d) A school book.
2. What does the doctor recommend to Sass and Sassur in Chapter 2?
(a) That they let Koly accompany Hari on the trip.
(b) That they take Hari to the healing waters.
(c) That they take Hari to the famous healer.
(d) That they do not take Hari on the long trip they have planned.
3. Where are Hari's ashes scattered?
(a) They are not scattered, they are put into an urn.
(b) In a sacred spot next to the Ganges.
(c) At his home.
(d) Over the Ganges.
4. What does Koly see being placed in the baggage car of the train before they embark on their trip to Varanasi?
(a) Her quilt.
(b) Her traveling chest.
(c) Live animals.
(d) Many urns.
5. What does Sassur tell Koly immediately after she learns of Hari's death?
(a) That she would have made a good wife.
(b) That she is responsible for his death.
(c) That they should not have made her marry him.
(d) That she will have to return home to her parents.
6. Who scolds Hari for being playful in the river?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) The healer.
(d) Mr. Lal.
7. What is one reason that Sass gives for being so resentful of Koly?
(a) She is an extra mouth to feed.
(b) Her dowry was too low.
(c) She is a poor cook.
(d) She cannot read.
8. What is Koly's first impression of her new husband?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is handsome.
(c) He is too young and sickly.
(d) He is much older than her parents were told.
9. What does Hari collect?
(b) Butterflies and bugs.
(c) Leaves and rocks.
10. Who meets Hari and his family in Varanasi?
(a) Mr. Lal and his wife.
(b) Mr. Mehta and his wife.
(c) The famous healer.
(d) The Patal family.
11. What does Sass give Koly to help her work on Chandra's wedding quilt?
(a) Scraps of material.
(b) Bright colored thread.
(c) A picture of Chandra and Hari as children.
(d) A light so she can work at night.
12. Why does the local healer come to see Hari the night before his trip?
(a) To ask a favor.
(b) To deliver herbs for Hari's pain.
(c) To accompany Hari on the trip the next day.
(d) To build his strength for the trip the next day.
13. What does Koly discover about her widow's pension that makes her angry?
(a) The Mehtas are using it to fund Chandra's dowry.
(b) Sass has all the checks sitting in a box.
(c) It is only half what it would be if Hari was 16.
(d) Half of it is taken in taxes.
14. How does Koly feel as she watches Chandra leave with her new husband?
(a) Determined to leave the Mehta's.
(b) As if there is hope for her, too.
(c) As if all her happiness is leaving.
(d) Strangely tired.
15. What financial impact would Koly's return have on her family?
(a) It would be a burden as her brothers now have wives.
(b) It would help them as the Mehta's would repay the dowry.
(c) It would be a burden as her parents would pay a dowry tax.
(d) It would help them because she would get a widow's fee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor say is wrong with Hari?
2. Why does Chandra think that her match will be a good husband?
3. How are computers viewed by Chandra and Sass?
4. How does Sassur help Koly after Hari's death?
5. After Sass returns from getting Hari's medicine, how does she react when she discovers Koly in Hari's room and learns she has given him a remedy?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)