|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Koly introduced to the people who host Hari's family in Varanasi?
(a) She is introduced as Hari's wife.
(b) They do not mention her at all.
(c) She is introduced as Hari's sister.
(d) She is introduced as a servant.
2. Why does Koly get married?
(a) Her family needs money.
(b) Her family mistreats her and she wants to leave.
(c) She is in love.
(d) She is pregnant.
3. What does Koly discover about her widow's pension that makes her angry?
(a) The Mehtas are using it to fund Chandra's dowry.
(b) Half of it is taken in taxes.
(c) It is only half what it would be if Hari was 16.
(d) Sass has all the checks sitting in a box.
4. What does Koly's prospective father-in-law want before he takes her to meet his son?
(a) The dowry.
(b) To look at her teeth.
(c) The silver earrings.
(d) To ask questions to determine her character.
5. How does the crowd react as Hari's dead body is carried past?
(a) They seem not to notice.
(b) They chant.
(c) Women moan and men stomp the ground.
(d) They make a path.
6. What do Sass and Koly do when they go to the village one week after Hari's death?
(a) Deliver a message.
(b) Obtain a package.
(c) Fill out papers.
(d) Order a sari.
7. What does Chandra tell Koly about Hari's illness?
(a) That it is not as serious as it appears.
(b) That he is expected to die.
(c) That her other brother died of the same cause.
(d) That it was very sudden.
8. What object of Hari's does Koly ask Sassur if she can have?
(a) A school book.
(b) His journal.
(c) A cap.
(d) His butterflies.
9. Why does Koly's father sometimes refuse payment for his work?
(a) He believes it is his obligation to help the community.
(b) He is passionate about his work.
(c) His clients are very poor.
(d) He is being blackmailed into it.
10. After Koly hears Hari arguing with his parents on her first day in their home, what does Sass tell her that Hari wants?
(a) For Koly to listen to him read.
(b) For Koly to sleep in his room at night.
(c) For Koly to accompany him on his trip.
(d) For Koly to stay with Chandra.
11. What does Koly hear Sass and Sassur discussing on the evening she overhears them in the courtyard in Chapter 5?
(a) Sass's illness.
(b) Koly's dowry.
(c) Hari's illness.
(d) Chandra's dowry.
12. How does Koly feel as she watches Chandra leave with her new husband?
(a) As if there is hope for her, too.
(b) Determined to leave the Mehta's.
(c) As if all her happiness is leaving.
(d) Strangely tired.
13. What does Sass give to Koly after Hari's death?
(a) A train ticket.
(b) A white cotton sari.
(d) A black cotton sari.
14. What does Koly think of the cake at the traditional feast?
(a) There was no cake served.
(b) It is too cheap to be served at a wedding.
(c) There is too much and it is wasteful.
(d) It is her favorite.
15. Why is Koly not allowed to help Chandra dress on her wedding day?
(a) Widows are considered bad luck.
(b) She never learned the family prayer.
(c) Sass says only family is allowed in.
(d) She spills the ceremonial wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets Hari and his family in Varanasi?
2. Who tells Koly of Hari's death?
3. What makes Koly erupt in a coughing fit while Koly is sitting with him, after she gets permission from Sass to do so?
4. When Sass finally allows Koly to go sit with Hari, what do they do?
5. How do Chandra and Koly interact in Chapter 4 after Hari's passing?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)