|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Koly think of the cake at the traditional feast?
(a) It is too cheap to be served at a wedding.
(b) There was no cake served.
(c) It is her favorite.
(d) There is too much and it is wasteful.
2. What does Hari collect?
(a) Leaves and rocks.
(d) Butterflies and bugs.
3. How does Koly feel about not being allowed to help Chandra dress on her wedding day?
(a) Very disappointed.
(b) She doesn't care.
4. What does Koly do when Sass tells her to give Chandra the silver earrings for her wedding day?
(a) She refuses and walks away.
(b) She lies and says she has lost them.
(c) She gives them to Chandra.
(d) She spits on the ground.
5. How does the crowd react as Hari's dead body is carried past?
(a) They make a path.
(b) They seem not to notice.
(c) Women moan and men stomp the ground.
(d) They chant.
6. What does Sass give to Koly after Hari's death?
(a) A black cotton sari.
(c) A train ticket.
(d) A white cotton sari.
7. What is Koly's role in Chandra's wedding ceremony?
(a) Bearer of gifts.
(b) Common servant.
(c) Sister of the bride.
(d) Flower thrower.
8. Who accompanies Koly to her prospective husband's home?
(a) Her parents.
(b) Her father and her brothers.
(c) Just her father.
(d) Her parents and brothers.
9. What is notable about Sassur's favorite book of poetry that might make it valuable?
(a) It is signed by the author.
(b) It has gold woven in the cover.
(c) It is signed by a holy man.
(d) It was handwritten three generations ago..
10. What do Sass and Koly do when they go to the village one week after Hari's death?
(a) Fill out papers.
(b) Obtain a package.
(c) Deliver a message.
(d) Order a sari.
11. What does Chandra tell Koly about Hari's illness?
(a) That he is expected to die.
(b) That her other brother died of the same cause.
(c) That it was very sudden.
(d) That it is not as serious as it appears.
12. Why is it so important to Koly to hold on to her silver earrings?
(a) She wants to use them to run away.
(b) She plans to trade them for a wedding gift for Chandra.
(c) They are a wedding gift from Hari.
(d) They are a memory of home.
13. How does Koly travel to meet her groom?
(a) By rickshaw.
(b) On a bus.
(c) On a train.
(d) She walks.
14. Why do Sass and Sassur argue after the doctor's visit in Chapter 2?
(a) They disagree on plans to take Hari on the trip.
(b) They disagree on plans to take Chandra on the trip.
(c) Sassur wants Koly to go on the trip and Sass does not.
(d) Sass wants Koly to go on the trip and Sassur does not.
15. What is Sass's response when Koly demands to receive her widow's pension?
(a) She says that Koly's bad luck has infected the house.
(b) She says it barely pays for her keep.
(c) She cries.
(d) She throws the checks at her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Chandra think that her match will be a good husband?
2. Why does Koly's father sometimes refuse payment for his work?
3. What does Sass give Koly to help her work on Chandra's wedding quilt?
4. How does Koly's mother make money?
5. What does Koly want to do when she learns her parents have selected a husband for her?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)