|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chandra tell Koly about her dowry?
(a) The dowry was less than the family expected.
(b) The dowry was more than the family expected.
(c) The dowry will pay to bring Hari to healing waters.
(d) The dowry will pay for a famous healer.
2. What object of Hari's does Koly ask Sassur if she can have?
(a) His butterflies.
(b) A cap.
(c) A school book.
(d) His journal.
3. What does the doctor recommend to Sass and Sassur in Chapter 2?
(a) That they take Hari to the famous healer.
(b) That they let Koly accompany Hari on the trip.
(c) That they do not take Hari on the long trip they have planned.
(d) That they take Hari to the healing waters.
4. What financial impact would Koly's return have on her family?
(a) It would be a burden as her brothers now have wives.
(b) It would be a burden as her parents would pay a dowry tax.
(c) It would help them because she would get a widow's fee.
(d) It would help them as the Mehta's would repay the dowry.
5. What finally gives Koly the courage to approach the man in the government office about her pension?
(a) She sees him casually dressed.
(b) She sees him playing with his son.
(c) She has money she made at the marketplace.
(d) She know he respects Sassur for his position at the school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sassur tell Koly immediately after she learns of Hari's death?
2. Why does Maa Kamala keep half of Koly's pay?
3. Who meets Hari and his family in Varanasi?
4. Why does the rickshaw driver leave Koly at the train station in the beginning of Chapter 8?
5. Why does Koly's father sometimes refuse payment for his work?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)