|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Akua when she first began to dream of the firewoman?
2. What is Yaw's occupation?
3. What happened to H's mother, Anna?
4. Why does Nana Serwah lock Akua in the hut?
5. What happens as a result of H's choice to shovel two-handed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Marjorie and Marcus help each other?
2. What advice does Akua give to Yaw about his anger?
3. To Willie and Carson, what is worse than ending up dead?
4. What racial inequalities do Willie and Robert face once they are in Harlem?
5. Describe Akua's dream of the firewoman. Whom does this image represent?
6. What is interesting about the marriage between Akua and Asamoah?
7. What prompts Sonny to give up his work for the NAACP?
8. Why is it so hurtful to Ethe when H calls her by the wrong name?
9. Why might the novel Lord of the Flies be symbolic?
10. In what ways has Willie marched?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This song, "The Dove has failed. Oh, what to do? Make her to suffer, or you'll fail too" (37, 84) is repeated throughout the novel. Explore the meaning and the ramifications of these words.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of Chapter One, we come to realize that Baaba never was Effia’s mother. Write an essay in which you explore how this new knowledge helps clarify Baaba’s choices for Effia.
Essay Topic 3
The motif of fire is used throughout the novel. Write an essay in which you explore how the different fires create an impact upon the social landscape of these characters.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)