|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sonny's birth name?
2. What does Willie mean when she tells Sonny, "Keep doin' what you doin' and the white man don't got to do it no more" (263)?
3. What does Yaw hope his book will prove?
4. Why does Willie insist they move to Harlem?
5. In the summer of 1964, what is going on in Harlem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is interesting about the marriage between Akua and Asamoah?
2. What advice does Akua give to Yaw about his anger?
3. Why is it so hurtful to Ethe when H calls her by the wrong name?
4. Why does Marcus have a hard time planning his dissertation?
5. Why does Robert choose to live the life of a white man?
6. What prompts Sonny to give up his work for the NAACP?
7. To Willie and Carson, what is worse than ending up dead?
8. What about H puts him in danger with the police and the bosses?
9. Why is it significant that Sonny chooses this nickname over his actual name, Carson?
10. How does Yaw use his scars to teach history to his students?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the text, the Twi language plays a great role in the lives of various characters. Write an essay detailing how the language impacts the course of at least three characters' lives.
Essay Topic 2
There are many dysfunctional relationships throughout the text. However, there are also some in which genuine affection and true love abound. Write an essay in which you examine how one or more relationship in the text can serve as a guide for what a romantic relationship can and should be like.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you explore the motif of freedom. Are any of these characters ever free? Are there any steps that a character must take in order to truly reach liberty?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)