|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Willie feel when she smiles at Robert on the street?
2. What do the Edweso people treat Akua as a result of her choice not to talk?
3. Who are Akua's parents?
4. How much does the mine boss agree to pay the state for each month of H's work?
5. How do the mine bosses replace the striking miners?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is interesting about the marriage between Akua and Asamoah?
2. What enables Willie to begin singing again in church?
3. How does H's imprisonment prove the inequalities faced by other black men during this time period?
4. What advice does Akua give to Yaw about his anger?
5. How do Marjorie and Marcus help each other?
6. What prompts Sonny to give up his work for the NAACP?
7. How might a miner die?
8. Why is Marcus afraid of water?
9. In what ways has Willie marched?
10. How can the character of Graham be compared to Willie's Robert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the text, the Twi language plays a great role in the lives of various characters. Write an essay detailing how the language impacts the course of at least three characters' lives.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in which you detail the symbolism of the different types of scars carried by multiple characters. Are there ever any instances when those marks prove useful, or are they always detrimental? Is it true that "you could not inherit a scar" (228)?
Essay Topic 3
Gyasi uses allusions, dreams, and flashbacks to connect the stories and the historical facts present in this text. Choose one of those stylistic devices and detail how its use helps to tell the story of Homegoing.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)