|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When we meet H, what is happening to him?
2. Which of the following is a death that makes Sonny feel hopeless?
3. What part of Akua's body does she claim is "growing"?
4. Where does Marcus get his interest in history?
5. What is Sonny's birth name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does H move to Pratt City, rather than going on to some other town?
2. Why does Robert choose to live the life of a white man?
3. What prompts Sonny to give up his work for the NAACP?
4. What enables Willie to begin singing again in church?
5. How does H's imprisonment prove the inequalities faced by other black men during this time period?
6. How can the character of Graham be compared to Willie's Robert?
7. Why is it so hurtful to Ethe when H calls her by the wrong name?
8. How might a miner die?
9. What is interesting about the marriage between Akua and Asamoah?
10. In what ways has Willie marched?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gyasi uses allusions, dreams, and flashbacks to connect the stories and the historical facts present in this text. Choose one of those stylistic devices and detail how its use helps to tell the story of Homegoing.
Essay Topic 2
Quey tells David that "the war the Asantes and the British are fighting now...will continue...far longer than you or I or even James can live to see...There will always be blood" (93). Write an essay in which you examine the truth of this statement.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the text, the Twi language plays a great role in the lives of various characters. Write an essay detailing how the language impacts the course of at least three characters' lives.
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)