|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is NOT a consequence of Robert's abandonment of the family?
2. What is the final title of Yaw's book?
3. How old was Sonny when he became a father the first time?
4. What prompts the Asante men to go to war with the British Colony?
5. Why does Willie insist they move to Harlem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Marcus afraid of water?
2. What prompts Sonny to give up his work for the NAACP?
3. How might a miner die?
4. Why does H move to Pratt City, rather than going on to some other town?
5. How can the character of Graham be compared to Willie's Robert?
6. Why is it so hurtful to Ethe when H calls her by the wrong name?
7. Why does the move to the Cape Coast allow Akua to move from being the Crazy Woman to Old Lady?
8. Describe Akua's dream of the firewoman. Whom does this image represent?
9. How do Marjorie and Marcus help each other?
10. What advice does Akua give to Yaw about his anger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a year that is mentioned in Homegoing. Write an essay in which you detail how historical facts, both in the U.S. and in Africa impacted Gyasi's choice to use that year in the text.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay detailing how true historical events impact the characters and action of Homegoing.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you evaluate the statement, "those who had been determined to stay on the fence found themselves without a fence at all" (125).
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)