|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Abena feel so rejected?
2. Why does Fiifi claim to keep trading with multiple groups?
3. What is Ness's name short for?
4. Why do Ness and Sam marry?
5. Why are James and his parents going to the funeral of Osei Bonsu?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Ness's journey on the Underground Railroad mimic Esi's journey into slavery?
2. Where does the name Ness come from?
3. Describe the possible reasons behind Quey and Nana Yaa's tumultuous relationship.
4. What is it that draws Aku to Ness?
5. What is the significance of the kente cloth?
6. Why does Fiifi capture Nana Yaa from the Asantes?
7. Explain the transformation that Abena undergoes from the beginning of her chapter, when she has no respect for the Fantes, to the end, when she is thankful for her Fante ancestor, Effia.
8. Why have Quey and Fiifi arranged the marriage between James and Amma?
9. Why does James attempt to separate himself from Effia after receiving letters from his British wife, Anne?
10. How does Mr. Stockham come to think that Ness is trying to beat his son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write and essay detailing how tribal conflicts contributed to the slave trade.
Essay Topic 2
Homegoing explores several different husband-wife relationships between village women and British men. Select two of those relationships and discuss how those relationships can be compared and contrasted.
Essay Topic 3
The motif of fire is used throughout the novel. Write an essay in which you explore how the different fires create an impact upon the social landscape of these characters.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)