|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of work does Ma Aku believe is bad luck?
2. What does Kwame Asare's nickname become?
3. Why does Maame try to refuse a house servant?
4. What does Adwoa convince Effia to put under the bed to enhance fertility?
5. Why do the English men call their African wives "wenches?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Susan Stockham faint when she sees Ness in the house slave uniform?
2. Discuss some of the differences James and Effia have when it comes to their understanding of voodoo and black magic.
3. Why do Quey, James, Nana Yaa really travel to the Asante village?
4. Why might Esi feel that she is cursed by Little Dove?
5. What clues do we have that Baaba is not Effia’s real mother?
6. What causes Pinky to speak for the first time?
7. In what ways does Ness's journey on the Underground Railroad mimic Esi's journey into slavery?
8. Why does Ness choose to be mute for a while as a child?
9. What is the significance of the kente cloth?
10. How has Ma Aku always comforted Kojo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you detail the symbolism of the different types of scars carried by multiple characters. Are there ever any instances when those marks prove useful, or are they always detrimental? Is it true that "you could not inherit a scar" (228)?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the text, the Twi language plays a great role in the lives of various characters. Write an essay detailing how the language impacts the course of at least three characters' lives.
Essay Topic 3
Akosua wishes to become her own nation. Does this goal come to fruition? Why or why not?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)