|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does James flee when he pretends to be travelling with Effia?
2. Why does Mr. Mathison insist on calling Kojo by his full name?
3. How does James Collins treat the female slaves?
4. Why is Quey chosen to come work in the Fante village?
5. Whom does Fiifi capture and keep?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Esi's upbringing different from Effia's?
2. How does Mr. Stockham come to think that Ness is trying to beat his son?
3. Describe the possible reasons behind Quey and Nana Yaa's tumultuous relationship.
4. Why does Ness choose to be mute for a while as a child?
5. Describe the atmosphere of King Osei Bonsu's funeral. How is it different from the typical Western funeral?
6. How does Adwoa serve as a mentor for Effia?
7. How has Ma Aku always comforted Kojo?
8. Why have the tribes begun to scar the faces of their children?
9. Why might Maame choose to beat Abronoma, rather than allowing Big Man to do it?
10. Explain the transformation that Abena undergoes from the beginning of her chapter, when she has no respect for the Fantes, to the end, when she is thankful for her Fante ancestor, Effia.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This song, "The Dove has failed. Oh, what to do? Make her to suffer, or you'll fail too" (37, 84) is repeated throughout the novel. Explore the meaning and the ramifications of these words.
Essay Topic 2
Gyasi uses allusions, dreams, and flashbacks to connect the stories and the historical facts present in this text. Choose one of those stylistic devices and detail how its use helps to tell the story of Homegoing.
Essay Topic 3
There are many dysfunctional relationships throughout the text. However, there are also some in which genuine affection and true love abound. Write an essay in which you examine how one or more relationship in the text can serve as a guide for what a romantic relationship can and should be like.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)