|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Quey agree to give up on Cudjo and marry Nana Yaa?
2. How do Big Man and his Asante village gain most of their power?
3. Why has a marriage between James and Amma Atta been arranged?
4. What is James's full name?
5. What is Abronoma's nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Quey is sent to England.
2. Why do Quey, James, Nana Yaa really travel to the Asante village?
3. Why is Abena so bothered when Ohene Nyarko insists upon calling her "darling" (143)?
4. What causes Pinky to speak for the first time?
5. Why might Esi feel that she is cursed by Little Dove?
6. Effia realizes that her husband James is involved in the slave trade. How does this make her feel?
7. Where does the name Ness come from?
8. What clues do we have that Baaba is not Effia’s real mother?
9. Why does Sam become a model slave upon the birth of Kojo?
10. Describe Kojo's interaction with the policeman after Anna's disappearance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The motif of fire is used throughout the novel. Write an essay in which you explore how the different fires create an impact upon the social landscape of these characters.
Essay Topic 2
This song, "The Dove has failed. Oh, what to do? Make her to suffer, or you'll fail too" (37, 84) is repeated throughout the novel. Explore the meaning and the ramifications of these words.
Essay Topic 3
How does Baaba's "nothing from nowhere" curse play out with different characters throughout the novel? Be sure to reference at least three different characters.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)