|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Sonny's birth name?
2. Why does Marjorie release Graham from any relationship with her?
(a) They do not have much in common.
(b) He has made clear that he is embarrassed by others' reactions to their relationship.
(c) He just is not very smart.
(d) He has not asked her to prom.
3. What song does Willie sing at her parents' funeral?
(a) I'll Fly Away.
(b) I Shall Wear a Crown.
(c) Amazing Grace.
(d) Beulah Land.
4. What injures Marcus's relationship with both parents?
(a) Their embarassment of him.
(b) Their poverty.
(c) Their heroin addictions.
(d) Their deaths.
5. What does Marjorie's kindergarten teacher tell her parents?
(a) That Marjorie has been speaking Twi in class.
(b) That Marjorie talks too much to her peers.
(c) That Marjorie would benefit from special education classes.
(d) That Marjorie is the brightest student in the class.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sonny asks Amani what kind of name she has, what is her response?
2. How does Willie try to make peace with Carson?
3. What does Yaw hope his book will prove?
4. Who are Marjorie's parents?
5. How does Willie chastise Eli?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Sonny to give up his work for the NAACP?
2. How can the character of Graham be compared to Willie's Robert?
3. What racial inequalities do Willie and Robert face once they are in Harlem?
4. How do Marjorie and Marcus help each other?
5. Describe Akua's dream of the firewoman. Whom does this image represent?
6. What advice does Akua give to Yaw about his anger?
7. How does Amani get her name? What does this name prove about her?
8. How does H's imprisonment prove the inequalities faced by other black men during this time period?
9. Why does the move to the Cape Coast allow Akua to move from being the Crazy Woman to Old Lady?
10. How does Yaw use his scars to teach history to his students?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)