|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the final title of Yaw's book?
(a) The Souls of Black Folk.
(b) Let the Africans Own Africa.
(c) The Invisible Man.
(d) The Ruin of a Nation Begins in the Home of Its People.
2. When is H sold as a convict to work in the mines?
(a) July, 1865.
(b) July, 1965.
(c) July, 1880.
(d) July, 1980.
3. How old was Sonny when he became a father the first time?
4. What does Yaw hope his book will prove?
(a) A plea for freedom.
(b) A truce with Britain.
(c) A call to war.
(d) An academic rage.
5. How do the mine bosses replace the striking miners?
(a) By doing the work themselves.
(b) By lowering the quotas.
(c) By raising pay to attract more candidates.
(d) By bringing in more and younger convicts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Sonny when he is first introduced?
2. In her dreams, what does the firewoman tell Akua?
3. How did Robert and Willie meet?
4. When we meet H, what is happening to him?
5. Why does Sonny ironically wish for more segregation in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Marcus afraid of water?
2. Why does the move to the Cape Coast allow Akua to move from being the Crazy Woman to Old Lady?
3. In what ways has Willie marched?
4. How does H's imprisonment prove the inequalities faced by other black men during this time period?
5. Why does Robert choose to live the life of a white man?
6. To Willie and Carson, what is worse than ending up dead?
7. Why does H move to Pratt City, rather than going on to some other town?
8. How can the character of Graham be compared to Willie's Robert?
9. Why might the novel Lord of the Flies be symbolic?
10. How do Marjorie and Marcus help each other?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)