|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is ironic about Kofi Poku's relationship with Crazy Woman?
(a) He was the one who put out her fire; now he keeps her cooking fire going.
(b) He was the one who gave her the nickname; now he cares for her.
(c) They have always been friends, throughout everything.
(d) He once loved her; now his wife visits her gardens.
2. What gift does Akua NOT give to Yaw?
(a) The necklace.
(b) Freedom that comes with forgiveness.
(c) A monetary inheritance.
(d) A mother.
3. What is the inspiration for Marjorie's poem?
(a) Yaw's memories of Ghana.
(b) The dream stories Old Lady has told her.
(c) Marjorie's visits to the Cape Coast Castle.
(d) The necklace.
4. How do the mine bosses replace the striking miners?
(a) By doing the work themselves.
(b) By lowering the quotas.
(c) By raising pay to attract more candidates.
(d) By bringing in more and younger convicts.
5. What happens as a result of H's choice to shovel two-handed?
(a) H is permanently paralyzed.
(b) Riots break out.
(c) H is beaten savagely.
(d) Thomas, the white man H helps, decides that he must return the favor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Marjorie's poem about?
2. Why does Asamoah choose to save Akua from the people of Edweso?
3. When Sonny asks Amani what kind of name she has, what is her response?
4. What lesson does Esther teach Yaw?
5. How does Willie feel when she smiles at Robert on the street?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Marcus afraid of water?
2. How does Yaw help Esther relax when she first comes to work for him?
3. How might a miner die?
4. How does Amani get her name? What does this name prove about her?
5. Why does Marcus have a hard time planning his dissertation?
6. What enables Willie to begin singing again in church?
7. How does H's imprisonment prove the inequalities faced by other black men during this time period?
8. What about H puts him in danger with the police and the bosses?
9. How does Yaw use his scars to teach history to his students?
10. In what ways has Willie marched?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)