|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When we meet H, what is happening to him?
(a) He is being chained by several policemen.
(b) He is cheating on Ethe.
(c) He is walking away from the plantation as a free man.
(d) He is working to meet the mine quota.
2. Where is Sonny when he is first introduced?
(a) Walking the streets of Harlem.
(b) Working for the NAACP.
(c) On his way to Ghana.
(d) In jail.
3. How long has it taken H to save $5?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two decades.
(c) His whole life.
(d) Ten years.
4. How old was Sonny when he became a father the first time?
5. What lesson does Esther teach Yaw?
(a) Anger is the key to revolution.
(b) Happiness comes from love.
(c) Anger is futile.
(d) Peace is the future.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the inspiration for Marjorie's poem?
2. Who are Marjorie's parents?
3. How does Willie try to make peace with Carson?
4. When is H sold as a convict to work in the mines?
5. What is the first sign of trouble with Robert when they get to Harlem?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can the character of Graham be compared to Willie's Robert?
2. How might a miner die?
3. In what ways has Willie marched?
4. How does Amani get her name? What does this name prove about her?
5. What racial inequalities do Willie and Robert face once they are in Harlem?
6. Why does H move to Pratt City, rather than going on to some other town?
7. Why is it so hurtful to Ethe when H calls her by the wrong name?
8. Why does the move to the Cape Coast allow Akua to move from being the Crazy Woman to Old Lady?
9. What about H puts him in danger with the police and the bosses?
10. Why is Marcus afraid of water?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)