|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take Yaw to realize he is in love with Esther?
(a) Five years.
(b) Five months.
(c) A decade.
(d) A single moment.
2. Why does Sonny ironically wish for more segregation in America?
(a) He wishes for the days of Jim Crow.
(b) His employment options are better with segregation.
(c) Everywhere he goes, he is reminded of the inequality he faces.
(d) He wants America to become more like Ghana.
3. What job does Sonny end up with after quitting the NAACP?
(a) Custodian at the church.
(b) Bartender at the Jazzmine.
(c) Singer at the Jazzing.
(d) Civil Rights Attorney.
4. Why is Yaw skeptical of the concept of forgiveness?
(a) He believes it is a lesson to keep the oppressed subjugated.
(b) He believes that the angry are powerful.
(c) He wants to tend his anger like a flower garden.
(d) He has never felt forgiveness for his own wrongdoings.
5. Who are Willie's parents?
(a) H and Ethe.
(b) Ness and Sam.
(c) Esi and an unnamed man.
(d) Anna and Kojo.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has it taken H to save $5?
2. Who are Sonny's birth parents?
3. What draws Yaw to Esther?
4. Where is Sonny when he is first introduced?
5. What does Willie mean when she tells Sonny, "Keep doin' what you doin' and the white man don't got to do it no more" (263)?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does H's imprisonment prove the inequalities faced by other black men during this time period?
2. How might a miner die?
3. What is interesting about the marriage between Akua and Asamoah?
4. How does Yaw help Esther relax when she first comes to work for him?
5. Why does H move to Pratt City, rather than going on to some other town?
6. Why might the novel Lord of the Flies be symbolic?
7. How does Amani get her name? What does this name prove about her?
8. What enables Willie to begin singing again in church?
9. Why is Marcus afraid of water?
10. Why does the move to the Cape Coast allow Akua to move from being the Crazy Woman to Old Lady?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)