|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Fiifi claim to keep trading with multiple groups?
(a) To create the most friendly arrangement.
(b) To protect any slaves from mistreatment.
(c) To get the most money and power.
(d) To ensure that all tribes are treated fairly.
2. What is the name of the witch doctor James sees to treat his impotence?
(b) Mama Margaret.
3. What is Abronoma's nickname?
(a) Peaceful One.
(b) Happy Bird.
(c) Large Child.
(d) Little Dove.
4. How many miles must they walk to get to church?
5. What does Mampanyin claim is her magic?
(a) She provides roots and symbols that are magic.
(b) She provides dancing and spirits.
(c) She provides people with the permission to act.
(d) She provides the conversation with Nyame.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Quey chosen to come work in the Fante village?
2. Why does Baaba begin beating Effia?
3. What is the most likely reason that Pinky and Ness connect so closely?
4. What was Ness's original name?
5. Why does Quey agree to give up on Cudjo and marry Nana Yaa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abena decide to leave the village for Kumasi?
2. How is Esi's upbringing different from Effia's?
3. In what ways does Ness's journey on the Underground Railroad mimic Esi's journey into slavery?
4. What clues do we have that Baaba is not Effia’s real mother?
5. Explain why Quey is sent to England.
6. Why does Susan Stockham faint when she sees Ness in the house slave uniform?
7. How would you describe the relationship between Cobbe and Effia?
8. Describe how James is able to build trust with Akosua.
9. Why does Fiifi use the story of the three birds to explain his reasons for trading with different groups?
10. Why does Sam become a model slave upon the birth of Kojo?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)