|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does the Old Man give to Abena before she leaves for Kumasi?
(a) Palm oil.
(b) The black stone necklace.
(c) Four goats.
(d) A locket.
2. Who helps James fake his death?
(a) An Asante soldier.
(b) An Asante woman.
(c) A Fante woman.
(d) A Fante man.
3. Where is Thomas Allan Stockham's plantation?
4. What new crop does Ohene Nyarko use to bring prosperity back to the village.
5. What is Abronoma's nickname?
(a) Peaceful One.
(b) Little Dove.
(c) Large Child.
(d) Happy Bird.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Anna have her free papers?
2. Esi is from what African tribe?
3. Why had Quey been a lonely child?
4. What does the Devil do when he finds Sam and Ness?
5. Why does Fiifi claim to keep trading with multiple groups?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss some of the differences James and Effia have when it comes to their understanding of voodoo and black magic.
2. How would you describe the relationship between Cobbe and Effia?
3. Explain the transformation that Abena undergoes from the beginning of her chapter, when she has no respect for the Fantes, to the end, when she is thankful for her Fante ancestor, Effia.
4. Explain why Quey is sent to England.
5. Why does James attempt to separate himself from Effia after receiving letters from his British wife, Anne?
6. Why does James Richard Collins's full name bother his mother, Nana Yaa?
7. What clues do we have that Baaba is not Effia’s real mother?
8. Why might Maame choose to beat Abronoma, rather than allowing Big Man to do it?
9. Why does Susan Stockham faint when she sees Ness in the house slave uniform?
10. How has Ma Aku always comforted Kojo?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)