|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mampanyin claim is her magic?
(a) She provides dancing and spirits.
(b) She provides people with the permission to act.
(c) She provides the conversation with Nyame.
(d) She provides roots and symbols that are magic.
2. How does Ness protect Kojo?
(a) She sends the boy to live with his grandma.
(b) She leaves the boy on the plantation to be raised by Susann Stockham.
(c) She kills the boy herself.
(d) She tells the Devil the boy is dead.
3. Who are Abena's parents?
(a) Nana Yaa and Quey.
(b) Anna and Kojo.
(c) Effia and Cobbe.
(d) Akosua and James.
4. Akosua mentions some new tribes and countries that are involved in the slave trade. What are they?
(a) North and South.
(b) Argentina and Germany.
(c) Ga and Dutch.
(d) Ethiopian and Italian.
5. Why does Fiifi want Quey to marry Nana Yaa?
(a) To create a peace between the Asantes and the Fantes.
(b) To make the British angry.
(c) To ensure that Quey will have an inheritance.
(d) To gain the respect of all the tribes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kojo Freeman live?
2. What gift does the Old Man give to Abena before she leaves for Kumasi?
3. Who has raised Kojo since his parents failed to escape?
4. How is "all time equal" (30) in the dungeons?
5. Which of the following is the most common reason a person could end up a slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Kojo and Anna go about teaching their children to be careful in the face of the Fugitive Slave Act?
2. Describe Kojo's interaction with the policeman after Anna's disappearance.
3. Explain why Quey is sent to England.
4. Describe the atmosphere of King Osei Bonsu's funeral. How is it different from the typical Western funeral?
5. Effia realizes that her husband James is involved in the slave trade. How does this make her feel?
6. Why is the year 1807 important within James's chapter?
7. Why does Fiifi capture Nana Yaa from the Asantes?
8. Why does Abena decide to leave the village for Kumasi?
9. How is it ironic that Anna is taken and not Kojo?
10. What causes Pinky to speak for the first time?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)