|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has a marriage between James and Amma Atta been arranged?
(a) To join Effia's blood line with Fante royalty.
(b) To keep the throne in the family.
(c) To make James and Amma happy.
(d) To get back at Nana Yaa.
2. Why does the Devil beat Ness the first time?
(a) The Devil does not like her use of Twi.
(b) She takes the blame for Sam's destruction.
(c) Sam blames her for his lack of English.
(d) She is insolent with the Devil.
3. Why does Big Man beat Abronoma?
(a) She is disrespectful to Maame.
(b) She trips Esi.
(c) She will not clean.
(d) She spills the water.
4. What does Quey's Uncle Fiifi always call him?
(a) Poor boy.
(b) My son.
(c) My child.
(d) White boy.
5. Akosua mentions some new tribes and countries that are involved in the slave trade. What are they?
(a) Argentina and Germany.
(b) North and South.
(c) Ethiopian and Italian.
(d) Ga and Dutch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pinky's first word?
2. What does Esi learn from Abronoma about Maame's past?
3. How does Ness protect Kojo?
4. Why do the Northerners begin to scar the faces of their children?
5. After working in the slave trade, how does Quey view his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does James attempt to separate himself from Effia after receiving letters from his British wife, Anne?
2. Why have the tribes begun to scar the faces of their children?
3. Why might Maame choose to beat Abronoma, rather than allowing Big Man to do it?
4. Why does Ness describe her marriage to Sam as "this unholy holy union" (81)?
5. Describe the possible reasons behind Quey and Nana Yaa's tumultuous relationship.
6. What clues do we have that Baaba is not Effia’s real mother?
7. Why does James Richard Collins's full name bother his mother, Nana Yaa?
8. Effia realizes that her husband James is involved in the slave trade. How does this make her feel?
9. Why does Abena decide to leave the village for Kumasi?
10. What is the significance of the kente cloth?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)