|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Nana Serwah lock Akua in the hut?
(a) She wants to keep Akua prisoner.
(b) Akua has beaten the children, and this is her punishment.
(c) Asamoah asked his mother to keep an eye on his wife.
(d) She thinks it will break Akua's trances.
2. Why does Asamoah choose to save Akua from the people of Edweso?
(a) He has lost enough without also losing her.
(b) His mother tells him he must save his wife.
(c) He does not want to care for Yaw alone.
(d) He loves Akua more than anything else.
3. Who are Yaw's parents?
(a) Abena and Ohene.
(b) H and Ethe.
(c) Anna and Kojo.
(d) Akua and Asamoah.
4. What is something Marcus would not HAVE to mention in his dissertation?
(a) The Civil Rights Movement.
(b) Drug addiction.
(c) Jim Crow laws.
(d) The Great Migration.
5. Why does Marjorie release Graham from any relationship with her?
(a) He has made clear that he is embarrassed by others' reactions to their relationship.
(b) They do not have much in common.
(c) He just is not very smart.
(d) He has not asked her to prom.
6. Why does Yaw not want to go to America to further his ideas for freedom of the Asante?
(a) He cannot afford to move and has no prospects for employment.
(b) He says it is better to start at home with ancestral lessons.
(c) He fears he is too old and that he will not be able to make the journey.
(d) He does not speak the language and he is afraid to learn.
7. In her dreams, what does the firewoman tell Akua?
(a) To kill everything in sight.
(b) To exact revenge against the British.
(c) To beware of the slave trade.
(d) To know where the children are at all times.
8. What song does Willie sing at her parents' funeral?
(a) I Shall Wear a Crown.
(b) Amazing Grace.
(c) I'll Fly Away.
(d) Beulah Land.
9. What is Sonny's birth name?
10. How long does it take Yaw to realize he is in love with Esther?
(a) A single moment.
(b) Five years.
(c) A decade.
(d) Five months.
11. Which of the following is a death that makes Sonny feel hopeless?
(a) John F. Kennedy, who was president.
(b) The barber, who is Sonny's friend.
(c) Rosa Jordan, who was pregnant.
(d) Abraham Lincoln, who was president.
12. Who are Willie's parents?
(a) Esi and an unnamed man.
(b) Ness and Sam.
(c) Anna and Kojo.
(d) H and Ethe.
13. What injures Marcus's relationship with both parents?
(a) Their poverty.
(b) Their embarassment of him.
(c) Their deaths.
(d) Their heroin addictions.
14. What is NOT one of the rumors regarding Yaw's scars?
(a) Yaw is made of fire.
(b) Yaw scarred himself to have something to discuss in class.
(c) Yaw is cursed by the gods.
(d) Yaw's scars are from one of the many Asante wars.
15. Why does Sonny ironically wish for more segregation in America?
(a) He wants America to become more like Ghana.
(b) Everywhere he goes, he is reminded of the inequality he faces.
(c) His employment options are better with segregation.
(d) He wishes for the days of Jim Crow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prompts the Asante men to go to war with the British Colony?
2. Who are Marjorie's parents?
3. What is Yaw's occupation?
4. How long has it taken H to save $5?
5. Why is Amani uninterested in going to Africa?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)