|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is NOT a consequence of Robert's abandonment of the family?
(a) Willie and Carson move a lot.
(b) Willie gets a job at the Jazzing.
(c) Willie has trouble making the rent.
(d) Willie meets Eli.
2. What job does Sonny end up with after quitting the NAACP?
(a) Bartender at the Jazzmine.
(b) Custodian at the church.
(c) Civil Rights Attorney.
(d) Singer at the Jazzing.
3. How does Willie chastise Eli?
(a) She tells him Robert was a better father.
(b) She makes him go to church.
(c) She refuses to let him come home.
(d) She tells him people cannot eat poems.
4. Why is Yaw skeptical of the concept of forgiveness?
(a) He believes that the angry are powerful.
(b) He has never felt forgiveness for his own wrongdoings.
(c) He wants to tend his anger like a flower garden.
(d) He believes it is a lesson to keep the oppressed subjugated.
5. Why does Nana Serwah lock Akua in the hut?
(a) She thinks it will break Akua's trances.
(b) She wants to keep Akua prisoner.
(c) Akua has beaten the children, and this is her punishment.
(d) Asamoah asked his mother to keep an eye on his wife.
6. What gift does Akua NOT give to Yaw?
(a) Freedom that comes with forgiveness.
(b) The necklace.
(c) A mother.
(d) A monetary inheritance.
7. What is the final title of Yaw's book?
(a) The Souls of Black Folk.
(b) Let the Africans Own Africa.
(c) The Ruin of a Nation Begins in the Home of Its People.
(d) The Invisible Man.
8. What song does Willie sing at her parents' funeral?
(a) I Shall Wear a Crown.
(b) Amazing Grace.
(c) Beulah Land.
(d) I'll Fly Away.
9. In the summer of 1964, what is going on in Harlem?
(a) Nothing much.
(b) Race riots.
(c) The Women's March.
(d) A blackout.
10. What happens as a result of H's choice to shovel two-handed?
(a) Riots break out.
(b) H is permanently paralyzed.
(c) H is beaten savagely.
(d) Thomas, the white man H helps, decides that he must return the favor.
11. Which of the following is a death that makes Sonny feel hopeless?
(a) Abraham Lincoln, who was president.
(b) John F. Kennedy, who was president.
(c) The barber, who is Sonny's friend.
(d) Rosa Jordan, who was pregnant.
12. What is Marjorie's poem about?
(a) The Castle.
(b) Two sisters separated by time and water.
(c) Whips and questions.
(d) The cocoa nut and sand.
13. What happened to H's mother, Anna?
(a) She killed herself, making the master deliver H by C-section.
(b) H does not know what happened to her.
(c) She was returned to Kojo as a free woman.
(d) She died in the mines.
14. Why does Sonny ironically wish for more segregation in America?
(a) Everywhere he goes, he is reminded of the inequality he faces.
(b) He wants America to become more like Ghana.
(c) His employment options are better with segregation.
(d) He wishes for the days of Jim Crow.
15. Who are Sonny's birth parents?
(a) Willie and Robert.
(b) Willie and H.
(c) Willie and Eli.
(d) Willie and Lil' Joe.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Sonny when he became a father the first time?
2. What memento of Marjorie's has Old Lady put in the ocean so that Marjorie will always be able to find home?
3. What injures Marcus's relationship with both parents?
4. In her dreams, what does the firewoman tell Akua?
5. How much is H able to earn monthly in the mines in Pratt City?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)