|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sonny ironically wish for more segregation in America?
(a) He wants America to become more like Ghana.
(b) Everywhere he goes, he is reminded of the inequality he faces.
(c) He wishes for the days of Jim Crow.
(d) His employment options are better with segregation.
2. What is the final title of Yaw's book?
(a) The Invisible Man.
(b) Let the Africans Own Africa.
(c) The Souls of Black Folk.
(d) The Ruin of a Nation Begins in the Home of Its People.
3. What gift does Akua NOT give to Yaw?
(a) A monetary inheritance.
(b) Freedom that comes with forgiveness.
(c) The necklace.
(d) A mother.
4. Who are Akua's parents?
(a) Abena and Ohene Nyarko.
(b) Abena and Quey.
(c) Abena and the missionary.
(d) Abena and the fetish man.
5. What does Yaw hope his book will prove?
(a) A call to war.
(b) A truce with Britain.
(c) A plea for freedom.
(d) An academic rage.
6. How old was Sonny when he became a father the first time?
7. What is ironic about Kofi Poku's relationship with Crazy Woman?
(a) They have always been friends, throughout everything.
(b) He was the one who put out her fire; now he keeps her cooking fire going.
(c) He was the one who gave her the nickname; now he cares for her.
(d) He once loved her; now his wife visits her gardens.
8. Which of the following is a death that makes Sonny feel hopeless?
(a) The barber, who is Sonny's friend.
(b) Abraham Lincoln, who was president.
(c) John F. Kennedy, who was president.
(d) Rosa Jordan, who was pregnant.
9. Which is NOT a consequence of Robert's abandonment of the family?
(a) Willie and Carson move a lot.
(b) Willie meets Eli.
(c) Willie has trouble making the rent.
(d) Willie gets a job at the Jazzing.
10. What is NOT one of the rumors regarding Yaw's scars?
(a) Yaw's scars are from one of the many Asante wars.
(b) Yaw is made of fire.
(c) Yaw scarred himself to have something to discuss in class.
(d) Yaw is cursed by the gods.
11. Where is Sonny when he is first introduced?
(a) Walking the streets of Harlem.
(b) In jail.
(c) Working for the NAACP.
(d) On his way to Ghana.
12. What draws Yaw to Esther?
(a) She is educated.
(b) She is a good cook.
(c) She is beautiful.
(d) She is everything he is not.
13. What lesson does Esther teach Yaw?
(a) Anger is the key to revolution.
(b) Anger is futile.
(c) Peace is the future.
(d) Happiness comes from love.
14. What does "Abro ni" mean?
(a) Heathen child.
(b) Sinful woman.
(c) Wicked man.
(d) Wise man.
15. What happened to H's mother, Anna?
(a) She was returned to Kojo as a free woman.
(b) H does not know what happened to her.
(c) She killed herself, making the master deliver H by C-section.
(d) She died in the mines.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was H when the slaves were emancipated?
2. Who are Sonny's birth parents?
3. In the summer of 1964, what is going on in Harlem?
4. What happens as a result of H's choice to shovel two-handed?
5. Why does Willie insist they move to Harlem?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)