|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can Sonny not forgive his mother?
(a) Because she is a maid.
(b) Because she refuses to call him Sonny.
(c) Because she is a drug addict.
(d) Because he does not know his father.
2. What lesson does Esther teach Yaw?
(a) Anger is futile.
(b) Happiness comes from love.
(c) Anger is the key to revolution.
(d) Peace is the future.
3. Why does Willie insist they move to Harlem?
(a) They have high-paying jobs waiting for them.
(b) Lil Joe has found them a great apartment.
(c) She wants to sing in the jazz clubs.
(d) She knows Robert cannot work in the mines.
4. How much does the mine boss agree to pay the state for each month of H's work?
5. What have the British done to King Prempeh I?
(a) Exiled him.
(b) Killed him.
(c) Blackmailed him into obeying them.
(d) Provided him with more power.
6. Which of the following is a death that makes Sonny feel hopeless?
(a) John F. Kennedy, who was president.
(b) Rosa Jordan, who was pregnant.
(c) The barber, who is Sonny's friend.
(d) Abraham Lincoln, who was president.
7. How long has it taken H to save $5?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two decades.
(d) His whole life.
8. Why is Amani uninterested in going to Africa?
(a) She wants to be a missionary at home.
(b) She cannot afford the plane ticket.
(c) She says they cannot go back to a place they have never been.
(d) She is uninterested in her ancestors.
9. What do the unions NOT fight for from the mining companies?
(a) More vacation days.
(b) Better ventilation.
(c) Fewer hours.
(d) Better pay.
10. Who are Yaw's parents?
(a) H and Ethe.
(b) Anna and Kojo.
(c) Abena and Ohene.
(d) Akua and Asamoah.
11. What is Sonny's birth name?
12. After both father figures walked out on the family, what living conditions do Willie, Sonny, and Josephine NOT face?
(a) The risk of homelessness.
(b) Cramped conditions with up to forty people.
(c) A bigger, better apartment for themselves.
(d) Squatting in Willie's mother's boss's house.
13. Why does Asamoah choose to save Akua from the people of Edweso?
(a) His mother tells him he must save his wife.
(b) He loves Akua more than anything else.
(c) He has lost enough without also losing her.
(d) He does not want to care for Yaw alone.
14. What is the inspiration for Marjorie's poem?
(a) The dream stories Old Lady has told her.
(b) Marjorie's visits to the Cape Coast Castle.
(c) Yaw's memories of Ghana.
(d) The necklace.
15. Why does Yaw consent to teaching the boys in English?
(a) Yaw's school is paid for by the British Colony.
(b) It is time to teach the boys the language of commerce.
(c) Yaw believes English is beautiful.
(d) There are too many dialects to try to teach in them all.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Edweso people treat Akua as a result of her choice not to talk?
2. What is Marjorie's poem about?
3. What is ironic about Kofi Poku's relationship with Crazy Woman?
4. Who are Marjorie's parents?
5. How old was Akua when she first began to dream of the firewoman?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)