|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Willie chastise Eli?
(a) She tells him Robert was a better father.
(b) She refuses to let him come home.
(c) She tells him people cannot eat poems.
(d) She makes him go to church.
2. Where do Marjorie and Old Lady's best talks occur?
(a) At Marjorie's apartment in Huntsville, Alabama.
(b) At Old Lady's house in Edweso.
(c) On the beach in Cape Coast.
(d) On the phone at night.
3. Why does Yaw not want to go to America to further his ideas for freedom of the Asante?
(a) He cannot afford to move and has no prospects for employment.
(b) He says it is better to start at home with ancestral lessons.
(c) He fears he is too old and that he will not be able to make the journey.
(d) He does not speak the language and he is afraid to learn.
4. What lesson does Esther teach Yaw?
(a) Anger is futile.
(b) Happiness comes from love.
(c) Peace is the future.
(d) Anger is the key to revolution.
5. What is Yaw's occupation?
(a) Union leader.
(b) History teacher.
(c) Mine worker.
(d) Asante chief.
6. What is the inspiration for Marjorie's poem?
(a) The necklace.
(b) Yaw's memories of Ghana.
(c) The dream stories Old Lady has told her.
(d) Marjorie's visits to the Cape Coast Castle.
7. What do the unions NOT fight for from the mining companies?
(a) Better pay.
(b) Fewer hours.
(c) More vacation days.
(d) Better ventilation.
8. How much is H able to earn monthly in the mines in Pratt City?
9. Why does Willie insist they move to Harlem?
(a) She wants to sing in the jazz clubs.
(b) They have high-paying jobs waiting for them.
(c) Lil Joe has found them a great apartment.
(d) She knows Robert cannot work in the mines.
10. What is Sonny's birth name?
11. Why does Nana Serwah lock Akua in the hut?
(a) Asamoah asked his mother to keep an eye on his wife.
(b) She wants to keep Akua prisoner.
(c) Akua has beaten the children, and this is her punishment.
(d) She thinks it will break Akua's trances.
12. What is the final title of Yaw's book?
(a) The Ruin of a Nation Begins in the Home of Its People.
(b) Let the Africans Own Africa.
(c) The Invisible Man.
(d) The Souls of Black Folk.
13. What does Willie mean when she tells Sonny, "Keep doin' what you doin' and the white man don't got to do it no more" (263)?
(a) Sonny's heroin addiction is keeping him a slave.
(b) Sonny's work with the NAACP is hugely successful.
(c) Sonny's work as a custodian is dead-end work.
(d) Sonny should return to Ghana.
14. Why does Sonny ironically wish for more segregation in America?
(a) He wishes for the days of Jim Crow.
(b) He wants America to become more like Ghana.
(c) His employment options are better with segregation.
(d) Everywhere he goes, he is reminded of the inequality he faces.
15. What is Marjorie's poem about?
(a) Whips and questions.
(b) The Castle.
(c) Two sisters separated by time and water.
(d) The cocoa nut and sand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What memento of Marjorie's has Old Lady put in the ocean so that Marjorie will always be able to find home?
2. Who are Akua's parents?
3. What feeling does Marjorie create within Marcus?
4. Where does Marcus get his interest in history?
5. What is NOT one of the rumors regarding Yaw's scars?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)