|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is James's nickname?
2. What sort of work does Ma Aku believe is bad luck?
3. Why do Ness and Sam marry?
(a) They have no family.
(b) They are forced by the Devil.
(c) They are in need of protection.
(d) They are compelled by love.
4. To what social movement does Mr. Mathison belong?
(b) Civil Rights.
5. What is special about Millicent?
(a) She knows how to use the black stones for magic.
(b) She is the daughter of a village woman and British man.
(c) She can speak English fluently.
(d) She can dance and sing better than all the village girls.
6. How is "all time equal" (30) in the dungeons?
(a) The lights are kept on constantly.
(b) There are no windows and no light.
(c) The slaves pass their time in joy and song.
(d) The slaves cannot tell time, so it does not matter.
7. When was James born?
8. Who is Effia's real mother?
(a) A house girl.
(b) A village girl.
(c) A witch doctor.
(d) A British slave.
9. Who is Kojo's best friend in Baltimore?
10. Where does James flee when he pretends to be travelling with Effia?
(d) The Cape Coast Castle.
11. Where is Thomas Allan Stockham's plantation?
12. What does Esi learn from Abronoma about Maame's past?
(a) Maame is a fugitive slave girl and has another daughter.
(b) Maame is actually a princess who abandoned her her kingdom.
(c) Maame is actually Abronoma's mother and has given her a stone.
(d) Maame does not love Big Man and plans to run away.
13. What is the name of the witch doctor James sees to treat his impotence?
(c) Mama Margaret.
14. Who is Quey's mother?
15. How does Big Man get his name?
(a) By being the biggest man in the village.
(b) By growing up the fattest boy in the village.
(c) By offering his apologies.
(d) By taking the most captives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baaba ask Effia to hide from everyone else?
2. Why has a marriage between James and Amma Atta been arranged?
3. If the Gold Coast is like a pot of ground nut soup, what are the British?
4. What does the Devil do when he finds Sam and Ness?
5. Why does Ness want to run away?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)