|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who marries Effia?
(a) James Collins.
(b) An unnamed Fante man.
(c) An unnamed British soldier.
(d) Todd Phillips.
2. Why had Quey been a lonely child?
(a) He was sent to school in England.
(b) He was too shy to make friends.
(c) His mother would not allow him to play with anyone.
(d) He did not fit in with the British or the tribal children.
3. What national law is passed the day of Timmy and Agnes's wedding?
(a) The Emancipation Proclamation.
(b) The 21st Amendment.
(c) The Equal Rights Act.
(d) The Fugitive Slave Act.
4. To what social movement does Mr. Mathison belong?
(c) Civil Rights.
5. Which of the following is the most common reason a person could end up a slave?
(a) Being sold by their families.
(b) Being captured by warring tribal enemies.
(c) Being captured by Fiifi and Cudjo.
(d) Being sold for debt.
6. What is Abronoma's nickname?
(a) Little Dove.
(b) Peaceful One.
(c) Happy Bird.
(d) Large Child.
7. What new crop does Ohene Nyarko use to bring prosperity back to the village.
8. What is the most likely reason that Pinky and Ness connect so closely?
(a) They both understand the loss of a mother.
(b) They both know the pain of the hiccups.
(c) They both fear Master Stockham.
(d) They both have visible scars.
9. How does Kojo get his last name, Freeman?
(a) From his free papers.
(b) From his time at Ellis Island.
(c) From his father, Sam.
(d) From his ancestors in the Asante village.
10. Why does Ness continue to work in the fields?
(a) Ness chooses field work.
(b) Margaret hates her.
(c) Susan Stockham forbids her to work in the house.
(d) Her scars are too grotesque and visible.
11. During what year does Quey's story take place?
12. What secret does Effia discover on her wedding night?
(a) No one can leave the Cape Coast Castle.
(b) James is not allowed in the Cape Coast Castle.
(c) Ghosts inhabiting the Cape Coast Castle.
(d) Humans kept captive under the Cape Coast Castle.
13. What happens to Esi's stone?
(a) She passes it to her daughter.
(b) She throws it into the ocean.
(c) She carries it with her wherever she goes.
(d) She must leave it buried in the wall of the Castle.
14. What did Quey witness while he was in England?
(a) The sights and sound sounds of the big city.
(b) Women in all their glory.
(c) Architecture and important scenery.
(d) The terrible treatment of people of color.
15. How do the Asantes mourn?
(a) With a cremation.
(b) With black clothes and silence.
(c) With a great feast.
(d) With wailing and dancing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Fiifi want Quey to marry Nana Yaa?
2. Why does Fiifi want Quey to be his heir?
3. How does Esi attempt to befriend Abronoma?
4. Why do Ness and Sam marry?
5. Where is Thomas Allan Stockham's plantation?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)