|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Northerners begin to scar the faces of their children?
(a) To make them too ugly to be sold.
(b) To instill respect for their elders.
(c) To make them more attractive to the opposite sex.
(d) To show off their tribal art.
2. As Esi is bound for the ship, how does she feel about the smile of any white man?
(a) As though it is a sign of terrible things to come.
(b) As though freedom might actually come.
(c) As though he might be able to help her.
(d) As though he might kill her.
3. Why does Fiifi want Quey to be his heir?
(a) Because he has no other children.
(b) Because he wants to get even with Effia.
(c) Because Effia made him promise.
(d) Because the son of a sister is seen as a closer relative than one's own son.
4. What is the most likely reason that Pinky and Ness connect so closely?
(a) They both fear Master Stockham.
(b) They both understand the loss of a mother.
(c) They both know the pain of the hiccups.
(d) They both have visible scars.
5. What warning does James offer the children who are celebrating the death of the British Governor?
(a) Once the Northerners are defeated, peace will come to the British.
(b) Once the Asantes defeat the British, they will come after the Fantes.
(c) The British will retaliate and ruin the village.
(d) Once the British defeat the Asantes, they will come after the Fantes.
6. Which of the following is the most common reason a person could end up a slave?
(a) Being captured by Fiifi and Cudjo.
(b) Being captured by warring tribal enemies.
(c) Being sold by their families.
(d) Being sold for debt.
7. Who has raised Kojo since his parents failed to escape?
(b) Ma Aku.
(d) Mr. Mathison.
8. Why does Fiifi want Quey to marry Nana Yaa?
(a) To make the British angry.
(b) To gain the respect of all the tribes.
(c) To create a peace between the Asantes and the Fantes.
(d) To ensure that Quey will have an inheritance.
9. What does the Devil do when he finds Sam and Ness?
(a) Beats them both and then splits them up.
(b) Takes Kojo away from them.
(c) Beats Ness and lynches Sam.
(d) Sets them both free.
10. Why does Aku introduce herself to Ness?
(a) She knows Ness from the ship.
(b) She hears Ness singing in the Asante Twi.
(c) She likes Ness from the start.
(d) She recognizes Ness as Esi's daughter.
11. Who is Quey's father?
(b) Cobbe Otcher.
(d) James Collins.
12. Why does Fiifi claim to keep trading with multiple groups?
(a) To protect any slaves from mistreatment.
(b) To ensure that all tribes are treated fairly.
(c) To get the most money and power.
(d) To create the most friendly arrangement.
13. How does Kojo get his last name, Freeman?
(a) From his time at Ellis Island.
(b) From his father, Sam.
(c) From his free papers.
(d) From his ancestors in the Asante village.
14. How have Kojo and Anna named their children?
(a) By the states in the union.
(b) By their African ancestry.
(c) By the constellations.
(d) By the letters of the alphabet.
15. How does Ness protect Kojo?
(a) She tells the Devil the boy is dead.
(b) She leaves the boy on the plantation to be raised by Susann Stockham.
(c) She sends the boy to live with his grandma.
(d) She kills the boy herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Mathison insist on calling Kojo by his full name?
2. Why does Ness continue to work in the fields?
3. What does Esi learn from Abronoma about Maame's past?
4. What is another name for the Fugitive Slave Act?
5. Why does Baaba begin beating Effia?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)