Chapter One: "Effia"
1. What catastrophe occurs the night Effia is born?
(a) A fire.
(b) An invasion.
(c) A murder.
(d) A flood.
2. The novel opens in what place?
(a) Cape Coast Castle.
(b) The Ivory Coast.
3. Why does Baaba begin beating Effia?
(a) Effia lost the black stone.
(b) Effia dropped Fiifi.
(c) Effia lied to Cobbe.
(d) Effia stole a yam.
4. When a man wants to marry a village girl, what is a gift he does NOT offer the family?
5. Abeeku says that, under his rule, the village will not work for the British. What does he claim they will do instead?
(a) Work with the British.
(b) Overthrow the British.
(c) Become the British.
(d) Ignore the British.
6. What is Abeeku's nickname for Effia?
(a) The Beauty.
(b) The Mystery.
(c) The One.
(d) The Wise.
7. What does Baaba ask Effia to hide from everyone else?
(a) Her identity.
(b) Her period.
(c) Her illness.
(d) Her money.
8. What is special about Millicent?
(a) She is the daughter of a village woman and British man.
(b) She can speak English fluently.
(c) She can dance and sing better than all the village girls.
(d) She knows how to use the black stones for magic.
This section contains 5,155 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)