Chapter One: "Effia"
• Effia Otcher was born in Fanteland, during a terrible fire.
• Cobbe Otcher, Effia’s father, left the baby with Baaba, his first wife.
• Cobbe went to see how much destruction the fire had caused, finding that seven yams had been lost.
• Cobbe returned home to find the baby Effia screaming.
• Cobbe told Baaba, “We will never again speak of what happened today” (1).
• Villagers believed that Effia was “born of fire” (1), so that was why Baaba had no milk to feed the baby.
• Cobbe’s second wife nursed the baby, but Effia could not feed properly, so she grew thin.
• Baaba would attempt to cover the baby’s screams with her hands.
• Cobbe demanded that Baaba should love Effia, but Baaba simply dreamed of leaving the child out in the wilderness at the mercy of the god called Nyame.
• When Effia was three, Baaba had a...
This section contains 8,353 words
(approx. 28 pages at 300 words per page)