|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the two women who fight for a man do before the police arrive?
2. What do the two elevator men threaten to Ma Lawton because of Jerco and Ms. Rosalind?
3. What does Jerco pawn when he needs money?
4. What type of suit does Jake prefer to the one he's wearing the day after Yaller's fight?
5. What does Jake smoke with a light-yellow man in the backroom of a bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Jake when he has a few drinks with Billy? What does Billy do when this happens?
2. Who is the brown woman trying to avoid in Chapter 20? Why?
3. Who does Ma Lawton give her room to in Chapter 17? What is their relationship?
4. What do Jake and Felice do for the first week they are together?
5. What is the restriction placed on Jake in Chapter 14? Why?
6. How do Yaller and Obadiah end up in a fight?
7. How does the targeting of the chef begin in Chapter 12?
8. Where is Jake's mind at the beginning of Chapter 19? Why?
9. What solution does Billy give Jake for self-protection in Harlem?
10. What does Ray tell James is part of the problem at the end of Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of music in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the speakeasy, why they exist in Home to Harlem, and how they affect the events of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of the different settings in Home to Harlem. How is setting important to the story? How is setting important to Jake?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)