|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wants Jake to move to a different building?
2. What does the pantryman take from the chef when he's not looking?
3. What type of suit does Jake go out in the day after Yaller's fight?
4. What do the two women who fight for a man do before the police arrive?
5. What do the two elevator men threaten to Ma Lawton because of Jerco and Ms. Rosalind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jake do in Chapter 11 before returning to his quarters?
2. What do Jake and Felice do for the first week they are together?
3. What does Ray think of the house on Fifteenth Street in Chapter 13?
4. How does Jake see Pittsburgh? What leads him to this conclusion?
5. Describe Ray's dream after eating the opium. What happens to him the next day?
6. What does Ray tell James is part of the problem at the end of Chapter 16?
7. Describe the chef's personality.
8. Where is Jake's mind at the beginning of Chapter 19? Why?
9. How does the targeting of the chef begin in Chapter 12?
10. What is Yaller's job? Who defends him? What does he say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define symbolism, and explain the use of spring as a symbol in Chapter 19.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of World War I in the events of Home to Harlem.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast blacks and Irish in Home to Harlem, focusing on how they are treated by whites.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)