|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jerco refuse to pawn when he needs money?
2. Who is Ray's landlady in Chapter 17?
3. What is Yaller Prince's job?
4. Who does the brown woman want to avoid?
5. Where does Jake see a pretty girl to become friendly with in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Rosalind gets sick?
2. What is the restriction placed on Jake in Chapter 14? Why?
3. What story does Felice tell about two women in a building courtyard? What significance does the story have to Jake?
4. What is Yaller's job? Who defends him? What does he say?
5. What explanation does the brown woman give when she says she is not a prostitute?
6. Describe the chef's personality.
7. How is Jake reunited with the brown woman? How does she react to the reunion?
8. How does the pantryman get his revenge against the chef?
9. What do Jake and Felice do for the first week they are together?
10. Describe Ray's dream after eating the opium. What happens to him the next day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast cabarets with buffet flats.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the speakeasy, why they exist in Home to Harlem, and how they affect the events of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of World War I in the events of Home to Harlem.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)