|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jake arrange to take Ray at the end of Chapter 11?
2. What is Yaller Prince's job?
3. What notifies people the police are raiding the party in Chapter 13?
4. Where does Jake collapse in Chapter 14?
5. Why did the brown woman disappear?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Yaller and Obadiah end up in a fight?
2. How does Madame Laura end up in a fight with Rose?
3. What story does Felice tell about two women in a building courtyard? What significance does the story have to Jake?
4. How is Jake reunited with the brown woman? How does she react to the reunion?
5. Who is the brown woman trying to avoid in Chapter 20? Why?
6. Why is Madame Laura's not shut down when the policeman arrives? What happens instead?
7. What is Ray's state of mind in Chapter 15? Why?
8. Describe the chef's personality.
9. What does Jake do in Chapter 11 before returning to his quarters?
10. What do Jake and Felice do for the first week they are together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast blacks and Irish in Home to Harlem, focusing on how they are treated by whites.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the motif of the long-lost brown woman throughout the story, including a definition of motif.
Essay Topic 3
Explain unions and strikes, particularly as they apply to Jake's life in the story.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)