|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in France does Jake go?
2. Who does Jake live with in Chapter 5?
3. What is Jake's favorite cabaret?
4. What happens to Susy under the influence of a new friend?
5. Whose saloon does Jake wander into in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three cabarets mentioned in Chapter 4? What is said about them?
2. Who dances with whom to the blues record at the buffet flat? What does Jake do?
3. Describe Lavinia Curdy. What is her relationship with Susy?
4. What job does Zeddy get Jake? What does Jake find out about this job?
5. How does the relationship between Zeddy and Susy end?
6. What events prompt Jake to desert the Army?
7. What role does Zeddy play at Susy's parties? How do his friends react to this?
8. How does the relationship between Jake and Rose end?
9. What happens while Jake is at the Baltimore in Chapter 4?
10. Why does Jake decide he needs to return to Harlem in the United States?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain unions and strikes, particularly as they apply to Jake's life in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast blacks and Irish in Home to Harlem, focusing on how they are treated by whites.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the title "Home to Harlem." What is the role of Harlem in the story? How does Jake feel about it as his home?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)