|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jake decide to do while on leave?
2. Where does Jake get a job after meeting the English soldier?
3. What happens to Susy under the influence of a new friend?
4. What organization do the white men at the buffet flat belong to?
5. Where does Jake take a new job in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Zeddy play at Susy's parties? How do his friends react to this?
2. What happens between Rose and her pretty boy at the club in Harlem in Chapter 7?
3. Describe Ginhead Susy. What is her relationship status?
4. Who is Rose? How does she meet Jake?
5. What revelation does Jake have about blacks while speaking with the Haitian waiter?
6. How does Jake know Zeddy? What do they discuss?
7. Describe Lavinia Curdy. What is her relationship with Susy?
8. What happens while Jake is at the Baltimore in Chapter 4?
9. Explain the class clash between Jake and the Haitian waiter.
10. What is Jake's life like in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the relationship between men and women in Harlem, focusing on how women are treated in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the theme of revenge affects the characters and story.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Haiti's fight for independence. What affect does this knowledge have on Jake in the story?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)