|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another name for Ethiopia in Chapter 10?
2. Who sometimes lends Jake money since he refuses to borrow from the person he lives with?
3. Who is sent to prison in Chapter 8?
4. On what night of the week does Jake go to Susy's in Chapter 7?
5. What does Susy threaten two men with who get in a fight over a betting pot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Curdy think of Jake? How does he react?
2. What is Rose's history with black men?
3. What is Jake's life like in Chapter 5?
4. What role does Zeddy play at Susy's parties? How do his friends react to this?
5. What happens while Jake is at the Baltimore in Chapter 4?
6. Describe Ginhead Susy. What is her relationship status?
7. What is the financial arrangement between Jake and the brown woman in Chapter 2? What does Jake later find in his pocket?
8. How does Jake feel about Rose having an affair with a white man?
9. Explain the class clash between Jake and the Haitian waiter.
10. Explain the Baltimore affair.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain unions and strikes, particularly as they apply to Jake's life in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of music in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of World War I in the events of Home to Harlem.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)