|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jake and Zeddy do in the saloon?
2. What does Susy serve with stewed corn when Jake goes to her place in Chapter 7?
3. In what branch of the military did Jake serve?
4. Who sometimes lends Jake money since he refuses to borrow from the person he lives with?
5. On what night of the week does Jake go to Susy's in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ginhead Susy. What is her relationship status?
2. What happens between Nije and Zeddy at the buffet flat where Jake gambles?
3. What happens while Jake is at the Baltimore in Chapter 4?
4. Who dances with whom to the blues record at the buffet flat? What does Jake do?
5. How does Jake know Zeddy? What do they discuss?
6. How does the relationship between Zeddy and Susy end?
7. What does Zeddy announce when he returns to Harlem? What does he say about Susy?
8. Explain the class clash between Jake and the Haitian waiter.
9. Who is Nije? How does Nije get money?
10. What job does Zeddy get Jake? What does Jake find out about this job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how racial tensions within blacks affect the characters and story.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the speakeasy, why they exist in Home to Harlem, and how they affect the events of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of food and drink in the story.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)