|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What season is it at the beginning of Chapter 19?
2. Who writes to Jake in Chapter 16?
(a) Miss Curdy.
(c) Madame Laura.
(d) The lovely brown woman.
3. What job does Ray sign up to do at the end of Chapter 18?
(a) Cabin boy.
(c) College professor.
(d) Public school teacher.
4. Who prides himself on being mean in Chapter 12?
(d) The chef.
5. What two benefits does the new building have for Jake?
(a) It's cheap and has steam heat.
(b) It is near the railroad and the landlady is a young, single woman.
(c) It has steam heat and is near the railroad.
(d) It's cheap and is near the railroad.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jake drag to a party in Chapter 13?
2. What friend does Ray bring to visit Jake?
3. What does Ray dream he is after his night out with Jake?
4. Who resents the chef?
5. Who defends Yaller?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Felice tell about two women in a building courtyard? What significance does the story have to Jake?
2. How does Jake see Pittsburgh? What leads him to this conclusion?
3. What does Ray think of the house on Fifteenth Street in Chapter 13?
4. How does Jake get to sleep after returning from the all-night bar? What does Ray do when still he can't sleep?
5. Describe the chef's personality.
6. Who does Ma Lawton give her room to in Chapter 17? What is their relationship?
7. What threat is made to Ma Lawton in Chapter 17? Why?
8. What does Jake do in Chapter 11 before returning to his quarters?
9. What does Ray tell James is part of the problem at the end of Chapter 16?
10. How is Jake reunited with the brown woman? How does she react to the reunion?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)