|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ray dream he is after his night out with Jake?
(a) A hummingbird.
(b) The lovely brown woman.
(c) A tiger.
(d) A train.
2. Where does Chapter 13 take place?
3. What does the chef call Ray?
(a) The Drugged Waiter.
(b) The Black Bear.
(c) The Pretend Scholar.
(d) The Professor.
4. What two benefits does the new building have for Jake?
(a) It has steam heat and is near the railroad.
(b) It's cheap and has steam heat.
(c) It's cheap and is near the railroad.
(d) It is near the railroad and the landlady is a young, single woman.
5. What is the waiter's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wants Jake to move to a different building?
2. What type of suit does Jake go out in the day after Yaller's fight?
3. When does the fight against Yaller end in Chapter 19?
4. What does Billy think Yaller should have had on him in Chapter 19?
5. What is the implied role of Jerco in Ms. Rosalind's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Felice tell about two women in a building courtyard? What significance does the story have to Jake?
2. Who does Ma Lawton give her room to in Chapter 17? What is their relationship?
3. Describe Ray's dream after eating the opium. What happens to him the next day?
4. What solution does Billy give Jake for self-protection in Harlem?
5. How is Jake reunited with the brown woman? How does she react to the reunion?
6. Describe the chef's personality.
7. What does Jake do in Chapter 11 before returning to his quarters?
8. What happens when Rosalind gets sick?
9. How does the white steward become involved in the conflict with the chef?
10. How does the pantryman get his revenge against the chef?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)