|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who resents the chef?
(b) The customers.
(d) The chef's boss.
2. Who moves to New York in Chapter 17?
(b) Madame Laura.
3. Why is Ray agitated in Chapter 15?
(a) He can't afford to marry his girlfriend.
(b) He is worried about Jake.
(c) Events in Haiti.
(d) He is failing his studies.
4. When does the fight against Yaller end in Chapter 19?
(a) When a policeman approaches.
(b) When Yaller is killed.
(c) When a bystander steps in.
(d) When Yaller loses consciousness.
5. Who writes to Jake in Chapter 16?
(a) Madame Laura.
(b) Miss Curdy.
(c) The lovely brown woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What woman is friends with Jake at the party in Chapter 13?
2. Where does Jake walk to at the beginning of Chapter 19?
3. What does Ray dream he is after his night out with Jake?
4. Who prides himself on being mean in Chapter 12?
5. Where is Jake resting from his illness in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ray feel angst at the end of Chapter 18?
2. How does Madame Laura end up in a fight with Rose?
3. What is the restriction placed on Jake in Chapter 14? Why?
4. What is Ray's state of mind in Chapter 15? Why?
5. Describe the chef's personality.
6. How is Jake reunited with the brown woman? How does she react to the reunion?
7. What story does Felice tell about two women in a building courtyard? What significance does the story have to Jake?
8. What solution does Billy give Jake for self-protection in Harlem?
9. How does the targeting of the chef begin in Chapter 12?
10. What does Ray think of the house on Fifteenth Street in Chapter 13?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)