|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What notifies people the police are raiding the party in Chapter 13?
(a) A whistle.
(b) A scream.
(c) A code word.
(d) A siren.
2. What two benefits does the new building have for Jake?
(a) It's cheap and has steam heat.
(b) It's cheap and is near the railroad.
(c) It is near the railroad and the landlady is a young, single woman.
(d) It has steam heat and is near the railroad.
3. What is the implied role of Jerco in Ms. Rosalind's life?
4. Where do Jake and Ray decide to go when Ray can't sleep?
(a) An all-night bar.
(b) A pool hall.
(c) For a walk along the lake.
(d) The Cotton Club.
5. Who brings a letter to Jake in Chapter 16?
(d) His landlady.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chef call Ray?
2. Who is going to take his girlfriend to a show in Chapter 11?
3. Where does Jake see a pretty girl to become friendly with in Chapter 11?
4. What is Jake told by a doctor in Chapter 15?
5. What does the brown woman say she forgot when she is with Jake?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Ma Lawton give her room to in Chapter 17? What is their relationship?
2. What happens when Rosalind gets sick?
3. What explanation does the brown woman give when she says she is not a prostitute?
4. How does Jake see Pittsburgh? What leads him to this conclusion?
5. What is the restriction placed on Jake in Chapter 14? Why?
6. Describe the chef's personality.
7. Where is Jake's mind at the beginning of Chapter 19? Why?
8. How do Yaller and Obadiah end up in a fight?
9. How does the white steward become involved in the conflict with the chef?
10. What does Jake do in Chapter 11 before returning to his quarters?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)