|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who defends Yaller?
(a) No one.
2. What does the pantryman insinuate that the chef did with the eggs?
(a) Hiding them to blame the pantryman for taking them.
(b) Throwing them at the pantryman.
(c) Taking them to keep for himself.
(d) Stealing them for his wife.
3. What is the implied role of Jerco in Ms. Rosalind's life?
4. What does the reader learn about the railroad men's quarters in Chapter 11?
(a) They fit four men in a room designed for one.
(b) They are filthy.
(c) They have become recently infested with rats.
(d) There are no beds in them.
5. Who wants Jake to move to a different building?
(a) The lovely brown woman.
(c) Madame Laura.
Short Answer Questions
1. What personality trait is the chef known for having?
2. What drink is served to Jake at the party in Chapter 13?
3. What notifies people the police are raiding the party in Chapter 13?
4. Where did the brown woman get the necklace she left in her apartment?
5. What does the fourth waiter call the chef during their argument?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jake get to sleep after returning from the all-night bar? What does Ray do when still he can't sleep?
2. How does the pantryman get his revenge against the chef?
3. What solution does Billy give Jake for self-protection in Harlem?
4. How is Jake reunited with the brown woman? How does she react to the reunion?
5. Describe Ray's dream after eating the opium. What happens to him the next day?
6. What happens to Jake when he has a few drinks with Billy? What does Billy do when this happens?
7. What does Ray think of the house on Fifteenth Street in Chapter 13?
8. What happens when Rosalind gets sick?
9. Who does Ma Lawton give her room to in Chapter 17? What is their relationship?
10. Describe the chef's personality.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)