|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nije make money, according to Chapter 5?
(c) Selling handmade scarves.
(d) Loaning it at a high interest rate.
2. What does Jake do in Chapter 9 that excites Rose?
(a) He defends her honor.
(b) He slaps her.
(c) He writes a song for her.
(d) He gives her his gambling winnings.
3. What does Susy threaten two men with who get in a fight over a betting pot?
(a) Her bodyguard.
(b) Her big dog.
(c) A shotgun.
(d) A heavy frying pan.
4. What organization do the white men at the buffet flat belong to?
(a) The St. Vincent de Paul Society.
(b) The U.S. Air Force.
(c) The Vice Squad.
(d) The Masons.
5. What does Jake's boss in Chapter 10 liken men to?
(b) Baby birds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes a cabaret singer to be fired at the Baltimore?
2. From where is the waiter that Jake finds reading in Chapter 10?
3. Where does Jake take a new job in Chapter 10?
4. What is Zeddy's role at Susy's parties?
5. What connection do the three young white men at the buffet flat have with the Baltimore?
Short Essay Questions
1. What revelation does Jake have about blacks while speaking with the Haitian waiter?
2. Explain the class clash between Jake and the Haitian waiter.
3. What job does Zeddy get Jake? What does Jake find out about this job?
4. What is Rose's history with black men?
5. What happens between Nije and Zeddy at the buffet flat where Jake gambles?
6. What does Zeddy announce when he returns to Harlem? What does he say about Susy?
7. What is the racial atmosphere aboard Jake's ship?
8. What are the three cabarets mentioned in Chapter 4? What is said about them?
9. What is Jake's life like in Chapter 5?
10. Who is Nije? How does Nije get money?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)