|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose saloon does Jake wander into in Chapter 3?
(a) Miss Kitty's.
(b) Bill Bailey's.
(c) Red Green's.
(d) Uncle Doc's.
2. What does Jake learn about his new job in Chapter 5?
(a) The lovely brown woman also works there.
(b) He was hired as a scab.
(c) He will not be paid until he's been working six months.
(d) He can keep the fruit that's bruised or over-ripe.
3. Why is it a surprise when the cabaret is shut down by police in Chapter 8?
(a) The mayor of New York owned it.
(b) It was thought to be protected.
(c) It was a common police hangout.
(d) It was in a hidden location.
4. How many teeth is Miss Curdy missing?
(c) All of them.
5. What does Susy threaten two men with who get in a fight over a betting pot?
(a) A heavy frying pan.
(b) A shotgun.
(c) Her big dog.
(d) Her bodyguard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Jake and Zeddy to Susy's place?
2. Where in France does Jake go?
3. How is Zeddy challenged?
4. Who is jealous of Jake in Chapter 6?
5. Where does Jake take a new job in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jake's life like in Chapter 5?
2. What does Miss Curdy think of Jake? How does he react?
3. Who is Nije? How does Nije get money?
4. What is Rose's history with black men?
5. Describe Ginhead Susy. What is her relationship status?
6. How does the relationship between Jake and Rose end?
7. How does the relationship between Zeddy and Susy end?
8. How does the resentment between the chef and the fourth waiter begin?
9. Explain the class clash between Jake and the Haitian waiter.
10. What does Zeddy announce when he returns to Harlem? What does he say about Susy?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)