|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a yellow-skinned lover steal from Susy when he leaves her?
(a) Her gin.
(b) Her poker chips.
(c) Her oven range.
(d) Her savings.
2. What does the man that Miss Curdy is first attracted to think of her in Chapter 6?
(a) He thinks she is stupid.
(b) He thinks she is too prideful.
(c) He thinks she is old.
(d) He thinks she is ugly.
3. What is Jake's favorite cabaret?
(a) The Cotton Club.
(c) The Congo.
(d) The Baltimore.
4. Who is missing from his normal hangouts in Harlem at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(d) Strawberry Lips.
5. Who runs the hot, new cabaret in Harlem?
(a) The mayor of New York.
(b) A Jewish man.
(c) A black woman.
(d) Zeddy Plummer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Jake find a waiter reading in Chapter 10?
2. What often happens between the black and white American soldiers?
3. What causes a cabaret singer to be fired at the Baltimore?
4. What does Susy say she will do to Jake in Chapter 7 if he goes out?
5. How does Jake spend his free time in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Jake's job on the railroad.
2. What role does Zeddy play at Susy's parties? How do his friends react to this?
3. How does the relationship between Jake and Rose end?
4. What happens between Nije and Zeddy at the buffet flat where Jake gambles?
5. How does Jake feel about Rose having an affair with a white man?
6. Who dances with whom to the blues record at the buffet flat? What does Jake do?
7. How does the resentment between the chef and the fourth waiter begin?
8. What revelation does Jake have about blacks while speaking with the Haitian waiter?
9. How does Jake know Zeddy? What do they discuss?
10. What happens between Rose and her pretty boy at the club in Harlem in Chapter 7?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)