|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Ray's landlady give her room to?
(a) Zeddy and Miss Curdy.
(b) Jerco and Rosalind.
(c) Jake and Rose.
(d) The lovely brown woman.
2. What is Yaller Prince's job?
(b) Drug dealer.
3. What does Billy say is a mistake for Jake to not have?
(a) A girlfriend or wife.
(b) A home of his own.
(c) A knife.
(d) A gun.
4. What friend does Ray bring to visit Jake?
(a) Yaller Prince.
(b) Miss Curdy.
(c) James Grant.
(d) Strawberry Lips.
5. What does Ray dream he is after his night out with Jake?
(a) The lovely brown woman.
(b) A train.
(c) A tiger.
(d) A hummingbird.
6. Why is Jake restricted from drinking alcohol in Chapter 14?
(a) He is sick.
(b) He promised Madame Laura he would stay sober.
(c) He was arrested for public drunkenness.
(d) His landlady will not let him drink.
7. Who is egged on to fight with Yaller in Chapter 19?
8. Who does the brown woman want to avoid?
(a) Her boyfriend.
(b) Her boss.
(c) Her landlady.
9. Where is Jake talking to the brown woman at the beginning of Chapter 20?
(a) By a white general store.
(b) By a white Presbyterian church.
(c) By a black Presbyterian church.
(d) By a white diner.
10. What is Jake told by a doctor in Chapter 15?
(a) He has pneumonia.
(b) He will die in less than six months.
(c) He must stop drinking.
(d) He needs a blood transfusion.
11. What wine does Ray buy for a young woman and her friend?
(a) Boone's Farm.
(c) Sweet Adeline.
(d) Virginia Dare.
12. What is the chef's punishment for assaulting the pantryman?
(a) He is demoted to second cook.
(b) He is docked pay to replace the eggs.
(c) He is fired.
(d) He is suspended for a week.
13. Where does Jake arrange to take Ray at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Eatonville, Florida.
(b) New York City.
(c) The train station.
(d) The hospital.
14. What notifies people the police are raiding the party in Chapter 13?
(a) A scream.
(b) A whistle.
(c) A code word.
(d) A siren.
15. What does Jerco refuse to pawn when he needs money?
(a) His mother's ring.
(b) The mink coat.
(c) The pearl necklace.
(d) His watch.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Jake resting from his illness in Chapter 16?
2. Who is the brown woman afraid will fight Jake in Chapter 20?
3. Who causes a near fight between Madame Laura and Congo Rose?
4. What type of suit does Jake prefer to the one he's wearing the day after Yaller's fight?
5. What does the fourth waiter say about the ice the chef is giving him?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)