|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jake tired of in Chapter 10?
2. Who is missing from his normal hangouts in Harlem at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(b) Strawberry Lips.
3. Where does Zeddy go during the daytime in Chapter 7?
(a) New Jersey.
4. How does Nije make money, according to Chapter 5?
(a) Loaning it at a high interest rate.
(c) Selling handmade scarves.
5. Who is sent to prison in Chapter 8?
(a) The lovely brown woman.
(b) Madame Suarez.
6. Why is it a surprise when the cabaret is shut down by police in Chapter 8?
(a) The mayor of New York owned it.
(b) It was a common police hangout.
(c) It was in a hidden location.
(d) It was thought to be protected.
7. On what night of the week does Jake go to Susy's in Chapter 7?
8. What does Jake decide to do while on leave?
(a) Become an English citizen.
(b) Try to work up the ranks in the Army.
(d) Desert the Army.
9. How much does Jake win gambling with a waiter's money in Chapter 10?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) Ten dollars.
(c) Three dollars.
(d) Fifty dollars.
10. What is a fourth waiter called, according to Chapter 10?
11. What is Zeddy's role at Susy's parties?
(b) Susy's assistant.
(c) Singer and entertainer.
(d) Card dealer.
12. Where does Jake put his suitcase for safe-keeping when he returns to Harlem?
(a) In a locker at the train station.
(b) He keeps it with him.
(c) Behind a bar in a saloon.
(d) In his hotel room.
13. Who has a thing going with Strawberry Lips in Chapter 7?
(a) Miss Curdy.
(c) The lovely brown woman.
14. Where is Jake's new job in Chapter 5?
(a) Wall Street.
(d) A dock.
15. Who is jealous of Jake in Chapter 6?
(d) Miss Curdy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event led to Jake enlisting in the military?
2. Where does Jake take a new job in Chapter 10?
3. Who is somewhat involved in the Baltimore affair?
4. Who sometimes lends Jake money since he refuses to borrow from the person he lives with?
5. Why can't Jake go back to the lovely brown woman?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)