|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it a surprise when the cabaret is shut down by police in Chapter 8?
(a) It was thought to be protected.
(b) It was a common police hangout.
(c) The mayor of New York owned it.
(d) It was in a hidden location.
2. When did Jake enlist in the military?
3. Why do Zeddy's friends laugh at him when he visits them?
(a) He is under Susy's control.
(b) Because of the way he dances.
(c) Because he can never win card games.
(d) He wears clothes that Susy lays out for him.
4. Who gets Jake another job in Chapter 5?
(b) The lovely brown woman.
5. Whose party is Zeddy invited to in Chapter 6?
(a) Strawberry Lips's.
(b) Ginhead Susy's.
(c) Miss Curdy's.
6. Where does Jake discover he will work while in France?
(a) The mess tent.
(b) On the front lines.
(c) Driving soldier in jeeps.
(d) The supply depot.
7. How many teeth is Miss Curdy missing?
(b) All of them.
8. Where does Zeddy go during the daytime in Chapter 7?
(d) New Jersey.
9. What type of music does a white man play at the buffet flat in Chapter 8?
(a) Rock 'n' roll.
(c) Traditional African music.
10. What is another name for Ethiopia in Chapter 10?
11. Who is missing from his normal hangouts in Harlem at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) Strawberry Lips.
12. How is Zeddy challenged?
(a) He is slapped.
(b) His foot is stepped on.
(c) He is called an offensive name.
(d) He is punched in the arm.
13. What is Jake's new title in Chapter 10?
(a) Assistant to the Regional Manager.
(b) Third cook.
14. What is a fourth waiter called, according to Chapter 10?
15. What event led to Jake enlisting in the military?
(a) His brother was killed by a foreign soldier.
(b) War was declared against Germany.
(c) He was promised freedom if he served for four years.
(d) A judge told Jake he could serve in the military or go to jail.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jake's favorite cabaret?
2. Who is drawn to Jake at the Baltimore as he is looking for his lovely brown woman?
3. What does Susy serve with stewed corn when Jake goes to her place in Chapter 7?
4. How long does Jake keep his new job in Chapter 5?
5. What queen was the lover of King Solomon, according to Chapter 10?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)