|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of music does a white man play at the buffet flat in Chapter 8?
(a) Rock 'n' roll.
(d) Traditional African music.
2. What is another name for Ethiopia in Chapter 10?
3. Where does Jake take a new job in Chapter 10?
(a) A harbor.
(b) A railroad.
(c) A construction site.
(d) An office building.
4. How long is a character missing from his normal hangouts at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) Three days.
(b) A week.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Ten days.
5. What cabaret is shut down at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) The Baltimore.
(b) The Apollo.
(c) The Cotton Club.
(d) The Congo.
6. Where does Jake put his suitcase for safe-keeping when he returns to Harlem?
(a) He keeps it with him.
(b) In his hotel room.
(c) In a locker at the train station.
(d) Behind a bar in a saloon.
7. Who does the judge wish he could have whipped in Chapter 8?
(a) The white women at the buffet flat.
(b) Madame Suarez.
8. How does Jake spend his free time in Chapter 5?
9. What job does Jake have in Chapter 5?
(c) Dining car worker.
10. Who gets Jake another job in Chapter 5?
(a) The lovely brown woman.
11. What is Jake's new title in Chapter 10?
(b) Assistant to the Regional Manager.
(c) Third cook.
12. At what age did Susy's husband leave her?
13. How long does Jake keep his new job in Chapter 5?
(a) A month.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) A week.
14. Where does Jake get a job after meeting the English soldier?
(a) On a train.
(b) At a construction site.
(c) On a dock.
(d) On a farm.
15. What does Susy serve with stewed corn when Jake goes to her place in Chapter 7?
(a) Fried chicken.
(c) Chicken pot pie.
(d) Pork chops.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what instrument does one white man play music at the buffet flat in Chapter 8?
2. Where does Jake go after leaving the Baltimore at the end of Chapter 4?
3. What is Zeddy's role at Susy's parties?
4. What book does Jake find a waiter reading in Chapter 10?
5. What does the man that Miss Curdy is first attracted to think of her in Chapter 6?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)