|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country does Orwell decide travel to go to complete his recovery?
2. To what city does Kopp say he is traveling?
3. Where does Orwell say pistols are almost unobtainable?
4. From what city do the government soldiers arrive?
5. Which group in Barcelona does Orwell say can get almost anything?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bad news do the POUM units hear in Chapter 12?
2. How has Barcelona changed when Orwell returns?
3. How do the POUM militiamen react to Orwell's presence at the prison?
4. What does Franco stand for?
5. What is the Sanatorium Maurin?
6. Why are snipers a problem in Chapter 12?
7. Why does Orwell decide the Spanish Civil War is still important?
8. Why did the government say POUM was a Fascist subversive element?
9. How does Orwell get back to Barcelona?
10. What are the rumors surrounding the attack on the telephone exchange?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1930s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following groups and state their political ideology and involvement in the Spanish Civil War.
3. The Popular Army.
4. The Civil guards.
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)