|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of enthusiasm does Orwell say is now flagging?
2. Where is Orwell's wound examined for the first time?
3. Where does Orwell say pistols are almost unobtainable?
4. Who does Orwell try to get released?
5. In what month does fighting break out in Barcelona?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Republican government stand for?
2. What act of bravery does Kopp perform in Chapter 10?
3. Why did the government say POUM was a Fascist subversive element?
4. Why was the working class in Barcelona becoming increasingly resentful?
5. How has Barcelona changed in Chapter 13?
6. How does Orwell get back to Barcelona?
7. Why are snipers a problem in Chapter 12?
8. Why does Orwell decide the Spanish Civil War is still important?
9. How are POUM members having problems in Chapter 13?
10. How does Orwell get his wound examined?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between Trotskyism and Stalinism? Why were the USSR so involved in the Spanish Civil War? What effect did their involvement have on the outcome of the war?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1930s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
What was Orwell fighting for? Did Orwell genuinely believe what he fighting for? Is it essential for a soldier to believe in the war cause?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)