|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group do the propaganda channels put down?
2. What does Orwell say the Popular Army is forcing people to do?
3. What does someone steal from Orwell at Hotel Falcon?
4. What does the Spanish government order everyone to surrender?
5. What does Orwell say is scarce in Barcelona?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Franco stand for?
2. How does Orwell hide from the police?
3. How does Orwell get his wound examined?
4. What does the Republican government stand for?
5. What is the Sanatorium Maurin?
6. Why was the working class in Barcelona becoming increasingly resentful?
7. Why does Orwell decide the Spanish Civil War is still important?
8. Why does fighting break out in Barcelona at the beginning of Chapter 10?
9. What act of bravery does Kopp perform in Chapter 10?
10. How has Barcelona changed in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Anarchism and Communism. How did Anarchism and Communism evolve into important movements in Spain? What are the differences between the two schools of thought?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Orwell become disillusioned with Communism? What was Orwell's view of Communism before he fought for POUM?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Orwell end the book like he does? Could he have ended the book in another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the book?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)