|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orwell want to write?
2. What does Orwell decide to get before he is transferred?
3. Which of his friends does Orwell hear is dead?
4. To where is Orwell first evacuated?
5. Where will Orwell be fighting if he is transferred to the International Column?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does fighting break out in Barcelona at the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. Why are snipers a problem in Chapter 12?
3. Why did the government say POUM was a Fascist subversive element?
4. How do Orwell and his wife get back to England?
5. How does Orwell get his wound examined?
6. Why is visiting Kopp dangerous?
7. How does Orwell get back to Barcelona?
8. What does Franco stand for?
9. What proof does Orwell provide to show POUM was not a Fascist organization?
10. What are the rumors surrounding the attack on the telephone exchange?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Anarchism and Communism. How did Anarchism and Communism evolve into important movements in Spain? What are the differences between the two schools of thought?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the propaganda Orwell describes in the book work so well? Would such propaganda have worked so well in other countries? How has propaganda advanced since the Spanish Civil War?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Orwell's opinion of Communists change during his time in Spain? How did Orwell express his dislike for Communism in his later years?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)