|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not Anarchist?
2. Which group publicly distanced itself from The Friends of Durruti's poster?
3. Which group in Barcelona does Orwell say can get almost anything?
4. What kind of organization does POUM label PSUC?
5. What kind of gun strikes down Orwell?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Orwell and his wife get back to England?
2. How does Orwell get his wound examined?
3. How does Orwell hide from the police?
4. What does Franco stand for?
5. How does Orwell get back to Barcelona?
6. What trouble is brewing in Barcelona?
7. Why was the working class in Barcelona becoming increasingly resentful?
8. How has Barcelona changed in Chapter 13?
9. How do the POUM militiamen react to Orwell's presence at the prison?
10. Why does Orwell decide the Spanish Civil War is still important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the book express about oppression? In what way did the Communist oppressive methods backfire? Are there any elements of western society you would identify as oppressive?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between Trotskyism and Stalinism? Why were the USSR so involved in the Spanish Civil War? What effect did their involvement have on the outcome of the war?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Orwell to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end.
1. What did Orwell hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Orwell's ideas about life?
3. How has Orwell changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)