|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of fighting does Kopp tell his men they have been ordered to engage in?
2. Which of his friends does Orwell hear is dead?
3. What country does Orwell decide travel to go to complete his recovery?
4. What does the Spanish government order everyone to surrender?
5. What does Orwell want to write?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Kopp getting no help from the Belgian government?
2. Why does Orwell want to start fighting in Madrid?
3. Why does fighting break out in Barcelona at the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. How do the Communists try to suppress POUM?
5. What are the rumors surrounding the attack on the telephone exchange?
6. What trouble is brewing in Barcelona?
7. How has Barcelona changed in Chapter 13?
8. How are POUM members having problems in Chapter 13?
9. What proof does Orwell provide to show POUM was not a Fascist organization?
10. How does Orwell hide from the police?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the book express about oppression? In what way did the Communist oppressive methods backfire? Are there any elements of western society you would identify as oppressive?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Orwell become disillusioned with Communism? What was Orwell's view of Communism before he fought for POUM?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)