|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What celebration does Orwell say does not take place due to political tension?
2. Where does Orwell have to stay to avoid the police?
3. Who raids Orwell's hospital room?
4. What does Orwell say has returned to Barcelona?
5. Who do the POUM fight with in the Hotel Falcon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Kopp getting no help from the Belgian government?
2. What does Franco stand for?
3. How do Orwell and his wife get back to England?
4. Why does Orwell decide the Spanish Civil War is still important?
5. What trouble is brewing in Barcelona?
6. How does Orwell get his wound examined?
7. How has Barcelona changed in Chapter 13?
8. Why does Orwell stop trying to help Kopp?
9. How are POUM members having problems in Chapter 13?
10. What act of bravery does Kopp perform in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Orwell fighting for? Did Orwell genuinely believe what he fighting for? Is it essential for a soldier to believe in the war cause?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between Trotskyism and Stalinism? Why were the USSR so involved in the Spanish Civil War? What effect did their involvement have on the outcome of the war?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1930s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)