|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of enthusiasm does Orwell say is now flagging?
2. Who do the POUM fight with in the Hotel Falcon?
3. Which of his friends does Orwell hear is dead?
4. What do Orwell and a few others volunteer as at the POUM headquarters?
5. What city do Orwell and his wife return to in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is visiting Kopp dangerous?
2. Why are snipers a problem in Chapter 12?
3. What are the rumors surrounding the attack on the telephone exchange?
4. Why does Orwell decide the Spanish Civil War is still important?
5. How do the government troops defuse the situation in Barcelona?
6. What bad news do the POUM units hear in Chapter 12?
7. Why does fighting break out in Barcelona at the beginning of Chapter 10?
8. How do the Communists try to suppress POUM?
9. How does Orwell hide from the police?
10. Why does Orwell stop trying to help Kopp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following political ideologies and discuss how you think Spain would have evolved if had followed that ideology from the Thirties until now.
Essay Topic 2
What does the book express about oppression? In what way did the Communist oppressive methods backfire? Are there any elements of western society you would identify as oppressive?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)