|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Orwell spend time recuperating in Chapter 13?
2. What do the Civil Guards want CNT to surrender?
3. What does Orwell say has returned to Barcelona?
4. Who runs the Sanatorium Maurin?
5. Who does the government's heavily armed police force exclude?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the rumors surrounding the attack on the telephone exchange?
2. How has Barcelona changed when Orwell returns?
3. Why does Orwell decide the Spanish Civil War is still important?
4. What does the Republican government stand for?
5. Why was the working class in Barcelona becoming increasingly resentful?
6. What does Franco stand for?
7. Why is Kopp getting no help from the Belgian government?
8. Why are snipers a problem in Chapter 12?
9. How has Barcelona changed in Chapter 13?
10. Why does Orwell want to start fighting in Madrid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Anarchism and Communism. How did Anarchism and Communism evolve into important movements in Spain? What are the differences between the two schools of thought?
Essay Topic 2
What does the book express about oppression? In what way did the Communist oppressive methods backfire? Are there any elements of western society you would identify as oppressive?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Orwell's opinion of Communists change during his time in Spain? How did Orwell express his dislike for Communism in his later years?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)