|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where will Orwell be fighting if he is transferred to the International Column?
2. What rank is Kopp promoted to in Chapter 12?
3. What unit does Orwell want to be transferred to?
4. Which group supports The Friends of Durriti's poster?
5. From what disease is Cottman suffering?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Orwell get his wound examined?
2. Why did the government say POUM was a Fascist subversive element?
3. How does Orwell hide from the police?
4. What is the Sanatorium Maurin?
5. What are the rumors surrounding the attack on the telephone exchange?
6. How do the government troops defuse the situation in Barcelona?
7. How do the POUM militiamen react to Orwell's presence at the prison?
8. What does Orwell think about the Communist tactics in Chapter 10?
9. What does Franco stand for?
10. Why does Orwell stop trying to help Kopp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1930s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the construction of Orwell's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Orwell's argument?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Orwell to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end.
1. What did Orwell hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Orwell's ideas about life?
3. How has Orwell changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)