|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Orwell and a few others volunteer as at the POUM headquarters?
2. What does Orwell say Franco stands for?
3. Which of his friends does Orwell hear is dead?
4. What does the Spanish government take over in May?
5. What is the name of the hotel Orwell goes to when the fighting breaks out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Franco stand for?
2. What are the rumors surrounding the attack on the telephone exchange?
3. How does Orwell get back to Barcelona?
4. Why does fighting break out in Barcelona at the beginning of Chapter 10?
5. Why did the government say POUM was a Fascist subversive element?
6. What trouble is brewing in Barcelona?
7. How do the Communists try to suppress POUM?
8. How are POUM members having problems in Chapter 13?
9. Why does Orwell want to start fighting in Madrid?
10. How do Orwell and his wife get back to England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following political ideologies and discuss how you think Spain would have evolved if had followed that ideology from the Thirties until now.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Orwell to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end.
1. What did Orwell hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Orwell's ideas about life?
3. How has Orwell changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Orwell become disillusioned with Communism? What was Orwell's view of Communism before he fought for POUM?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)