|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who runs the Sanatorium Maurin?
2. Where does Orwell have to stay to avoid the police?
3. What does Orwell say a fat man eats while children beg for bread?
4. What does Orwell say Franco stands for?
5. Why does Orwell decide to stop trying to help Kopp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Franco stand for?
2. What does Orwell think about the Communist tactics in Chapter 10?
3. How has Barcelona changed in Chapter 13?
4. What bad news do the POUM units hear in Chapter 12?
5. Why are snipers a problem in Chapter 12?
6. How does Orwell hide from the police?
7. How do the POUM militiamen react to Orwell's presence at the prison?
8. Why does Orwell decide the Spanish Civil War is still important?
9. Why does fighting break out in Barcelona at the beginning of Chapter 10?
10. Why did the government say POUM was a Fascist subversive element?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following groups and state their political ideology and involvement in the Spanish Civil War.
3. The Popular Army.
4. The Civil guards.
Essay Topic 2
Why does the propaganda Orwell describes in the book work so well? Would such propaganda have worked so well in other countries? How has propaganda advanced since the Spanish Civil War?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Orwell end the book like he does? Could he have ended the book in another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the book?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)