|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what is Williams suffering?
2. What is the name of the hotel Orwell goes to when the fighting breaks out?
3. What country does Orwell travel to at the end of the book?
4. What organization announces McNair's arrest while he is in France?
5. Where is Orwell's wound examined for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What proof does Orwell provide to show POUM was not a Fascist organization?
2. Why are snipers a problem in Chapter 12?
3. What is the Sanatorium Maurin?
4. How do the government troops defuse the situation in Barcelona?
5. What bad news do the POUM units hear in Chapter 12?
6. Why does Orwell decide the Spanish Civil War is still important?
7. How does Orwell get back to Barcelona?
8. Why was the working class in Barcelona becoming increasingly resentful?
9. How has Barcelona changed when Orwell returns?
10. What does Orwell think about the Communist tactics in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact did the Spanish Civil War have on the world politics in the 1930s? Why were British people such as Orwell independently involved in the fighting? What happened to Spain after the Civil War?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of Orwell's previous books and contrast it with HOMAGE TO CATALONIA in terms of the following;
Essay Topic 3
Examine Anarchism and Communism. How did Anarchism and Communism evolve into important movements in Spain? What are the differences between the two schools of thought?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)