|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country is Kopp from?
2. Which of his friends does Orwell hear is dead?
3. What rank is Benjamin promoted to in Chapter 12?
4. Who ordered the attack on the telephone exchange?
5. What does Orwell say has returned to Barcelona?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the government troops defuse the situation in Barcelona?
2. How does Orwell get his wound examined?
3. Why does fighting break out in Barcelona at the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. Why are snipers a problem in Chapter 12?
5. What does Franco stand for?
6. What is the Sanatorium Maurin?
7. What proof does Orwell provide to show POUM was not a Fascist organization?
8. What does the Republican government stand for?
9. How does Orwell hide from the police?
10. What does Orwell think about the Communist tactics in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Spain become a Fascist country and stay that way for so long? How did the move to Fascism change the country?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Orwell's opinion of Communists change during his time in Spain? How did Orwell express his dislike for Communism in his later years?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following political ideologies and discuss how you think Spain would have evolved if had followed that ideology from the Thirties until now.
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)