|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what disease is Cottman suffering?
2. Which of Orwell's friends is also recovering at the Maurin?
3. Which city in Spain do people say is still revolutionary?
4. What does Orwell say has ended in defeat?
5. What does Orwell want to write?
Short Essay Questions
1. What act of bravery does Kopp perform in Chapter 10?
2. How does Orwell hide from the police?
3. Why was the working class in Barcelona becoming increasingly resentful?
4. What does Orwell think about the Communist tactics in Chapter 10?
5. What bad news do the POUM units hear in Chapter 12?
6. How does Orwell get his wound examined?
7. How are POUM members having problems in Chapter 13?
8. What trouble is brewing in Barcelona?
9. How do the Communists try to suppress POUM?
10. What is the Sanatorium Maurin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the propaganda Orwell describes in the book work so well? Would such propaganda have worked so well in other countries? How has propaganda advanced since the Spanish Civil War?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between Trotskyism and Stalinism? Why were the USSR so involved in the Spanish Civil War? What effect did their involvement have on the outcome of the war?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of Orwell's previous books and contrast it with HOMAGE TO CATALONIA in terms of the following;
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)