|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Orwell telephone in Chapter 10?
2. Where is Orwell invited to transfer to at the end of Chapter 10?
3. What is the name of the small political organization which publishes a radical leaflet calling for sustained revolution?
4. What does Orwell say is scarce in Barcelona?
5. From what city do the Assault Guards arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What act of bravery does Kopp perform in Chapter 10?
2. What trouble is brewing in Barcelona?
3. How does Orwell get his wound examined?
4. What does Franco stand for?
5. Why does Orwell stop trying to help Kopp?
6. What is the Sanatorium Maurin?
7. How does Orwell hide from the police?
8. How do Orwell and his wife get back to England?
9. Why is Kopp getting no help from the Belgian government?
10. Why are snipers a problem in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Orwell fighting for? Did Orwell genuinely believe what he fighting for? Is it essential for a soldier to believe in the war cause?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Orwell become disillusioned with Communism? What was Orwell's view of Communism before he fought for POUM?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following political ideologies and discuss how you think Spain would have evolved if had followed that ideology from the Thirties until now.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)