|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where will Orwell be fighting if he is transferred to the International Column?
2. Where does Orwell have to stay to avoid the police?
3. Which of Orwell's friends is also recovering at the Maurin?
4. What kind of gun strikes down Orwell?
5. What is the name of the hotel Orwell goes to when the fighting breaks out?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are POUM members having problems in Chapter 13?
2. What trouble is brewing in Barcelona?
3. Why did the government say POUM was a Fascist subversive element?
4. What does Orwell think about the Communist tactics in Chapter 10?
5. What does Franco stand for?
6. How do the Communists try to suppress POUM?
7. Why was the working class in Barcelona becoming increasingly resentful?
8. Why is visiting Kopp dangerous?
9. What bad news do the POUM units hear in Chapter 12?
10. How has Barcelona changed in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following groups and state their political ideology and involvement in the Spanish Civil War.
3. The Popular Army.
4. The Civil guards.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Orwell's opinion of Communists change during his time in Spain? How did Orwell express his dislike for Communism in his later years?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Orwell become disillusioned with Communism? What was Orwell's view of Communism before he fought for POUM?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)