|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what city do the Assault Guards arrive?
2. What does Orwell say a fat man eats while children beg for bread?
3. For which of the POUM members has the government issued a warrant?
4. To where is Orwell first evacuated?
5. From what is Williams suffering?
Short Essay Questions
1. What proof does Orwell provide to show POUM was not a Fascist organization?
2. What is the Sanatorium Maurin?
3. What does Orwell think about the Communist tactics in Chapter 10?
4. What act of bravery does Kopp perform in Chapter 10?
5. Why does Orwell decide the Spanish Civil War is still important?
6. How has Barcelona changed when Orwell returns?
7. Why does Orwell stop trying to help Kopp?
8. What are the rumors surrounding the attack on the telephone exchange?
9. How do the POUM militiamen react to Orwell's presence at the prison?
10. Why is Kopp getting no help from the Belgian government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1930s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following groups and state their political ideology and involvement in the Spanish Civil War.
3. The Popular Army.
4. The Civil guards.
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)