|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does Orwell say houses the Spanish national government?
2. What does someone steal from Orwell at Hotel Falcon?
3. Who does the PSUC intend to blame for all the trouble?
4. What does Orwell say are the two main political groups in Spain?
5. For which of the POUM members has the government issued a warrant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Orwell hide from the police?
2. What act of bravery does Kopp perform in Chapter 10?
3. Why does Orwell want to start fighting in Madrid?
4. What bad news do the POUM units hear in Chapter 12?
5. Why did the government say POUM was a Fascist subversive element?
6. What does Franco stand for?
7. What does the Republican government stand for?
8. How has Barcelona changed in Chapter 13?
9. Why does Orwell stop trying to help Kopp?
10. What trouble is brewing in Barcelona?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Spain become a Fascist country and stay that way for so long? How did the move to Fascism change the country?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the propaganda Orwell describes in the book work so well? Would such propaganda have worked so well in other countries? How has propaganda advanced since the Spanish Civil War?
Essay Topic 3
What does the book express about oppression? In what way did the Communist oppressive methods backfire? Are there any elements of western society you would identify as oppressive?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)