|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orwell say is scarce in Barcelona?
2. In what country is Kopp considered a criminal?
3. What group controls Hotel Falcon?
4. What part of Orwell's body does the bullet penetrate?
5. What is the name of the hotel Orwell goes to when the fighting breaks out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orwell think about the Communist tactics in Chapter 10?
2. How does Orwell get back to Barcelona?
3. What bad news do the POUM units hear in Chapter 12?
4. Why does Orwell decide the Spanish Civil War is still important?
5. How has Barcelona changed when Orwell returns?
6. How does Orwell hide from the police?
7. What is the Sanatorium Maurin?
8. How do the POUM militiamen react to Orwell's presence at the prison?
9. What act of bravery does Kopp perform in Chapter 10?
10. What are the rumors surrounding the attack on the telephone exchange?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Orwell fighting for? Did Orwell genuinely believe what he fighting for? Is it essential for a soldier to believe in the war cause?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Spain become a Fascist country and stay that way for so long? How did the move to Fascism change the country?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Anarchism and Communism. How did Anarchism and Communism evolve into important movements in Spain? What are the differences between the two schools of thought?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)