|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rushes across the street to stop the fighting?
2. How does Orwell describe the atmosphere in Barcelona?
3. Who does the government's heavily armed police force exclude?
4. What rank is Orwell promoted to in Chapter 12?
5. Where does Orwell have to stay to avoid the police?
Essay Topic 1
What does the book express about oppression? In what way did the Communist oppressive methods backfire? Are there any elements of western society you would identify as oppressive?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the construction of Orwell's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Orwell's argument?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)