|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group has gained control of Barcelona?
2. Who does Orwell try to get released?
3. What part of Orwell's body does the bullet penetrate?
4. Why does Orwell decide to stop trying to help Kopp?
5. What group has now been declared an illegal organization?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does fighting break out in Barcelona at the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. What does the Republican government stand for?
3. What does Franco stand for?
4. Why was the working class in Barcelona becoming increasingly resentful?
5. How does Orwell get his wound examined?
6. Why does Orwell stop trying to help Kopp?
7. What trouble is brewing in Barcelona?
8. What are the rumors surrounding the attack on the telephone exchange?
9. What does Orwell think about the Communist tactics in Chapter 10?
10. Why are snipers a problem in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Orwell end the book like he does? Could he have ended the book in another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1930s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Orwell become disillusioned with Communism? What was Orwell's view of Communism before he fought for POUM?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)