|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group do the propaganda channels put down?
2. What unit does Orwell want to be transferred to?
3. What does Orwell want to write?
4. What does Orwell say a fat man eats while children beg for bread?
5. Which group has gained control of Barcelona?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Orwell and his wife get back to England?
2. What is the Sanatorium Maurin?
3. Why are snipers a problem in Chapter 12?
4. How does Orwell get his wound examined?
5. How does Orwell hide from the police?
6. What does the Republican government stand for?
7. Why is visiting Kopp dangerous?
8. What does Franco stand for?
9. What are the rumors surrounding the attack on the telephone exchange?
10. What proof does Orwell provide to show POUM was not a Fascist organization?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Orwell fighting for? Did Orwell genuinely believe what he fighting for? Is it essential for a soldier to believe in the war cause?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Orwell become disillusioned with Communism? What was Orwell's view of Communism before he fought for POUM?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Orwell end the book like he does? Could he have ended the book in another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the book?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)