|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of weapon does Orwell manage to procure from the black market?
2. Which group publicly distanced itself from The Friends of Durruti's poster?
3. Who does the government's heavily armed police force exclude?
4. Who does the PSUC intend to blame for all the trouble?
5. What does Orwell say has returned to Barcelona?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Republican government stand for?
2. What does Franco stand for?
3. How does Orwell hide from the police?
4. How do the Communists try to suppress POUM?
5. What are the rumors surrounding the attack on the telephone exchange?
6. Why does Orwell want to start fighting in Madrid?
7. How do the POUM militiamen react to Orwell's presence at the prison?
8. How has Barcelona changed in Chapter 13?
9. Why does Orwell stop trying to help Kopp?
10. What bad news do the POUM units hear in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of Orwell's previous books and contrast it with HOMAGE TO CATALONIA in terms of the following;
Essay Topic 2
Examine the construction of Orwell's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Orwell's argument?
Essay Topic 3
What was Orwell fighting for? Did Orwell genuinely believe what he fighting for? Is it essential for a soldier to believe in the war cause?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)