|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Chaplin accused of?
2. Who openly despised Chaplin and took every possible shot at him?
3. For what was Flynn arrested and put on trial?
4. What is the title called in reference to Thelma Todd?
5. What does "Enditalls" refer to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Francis Farmer.
2. Describe the "suicide syndrome" of the 1940s.
3. What role did rumors about sex and specifically homosexuality play in the world of Hollywood gossip?
4. Why was Hopper so critical of Charlie Chaplin?
5. Describe the protests for the invasion of privacy.
6. What role does suicide seem to play in the film industry and Hollywood?
7. Describe John Gilbert's fall.
8. What scandal involved Mae West?
9. What did the term "box office poison" mean?
10. What was the "Red Tide"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Charlie Chaplin's significance in film history? Describe the scandal in Chaplin's life. If he existed today, would he be able to be a star? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of obscenity and the courts taking control over the Astor-Thorpe scandal? What was the result of obscenity laws?
Essay Topic 3
What was the difference between talkies and silent films during the Jazz Era? What did talkies encourage? What disappeared with silent films? Why?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)