|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of actors were labeled "Box Office Poison"?
2. Who sought to ban Mae West's films?
3. For whom was Lucky Luciano a bootlegger?
4. How old was Lupe when she killed herself?
5. Besides Mae West, who else was dubbed unwholesome?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Francis Farmer.
2. Describe the "preservation for American ideals."
3. Who was Lupe Velez?
4. How did Joan Barry prepare for her movie roles?
5. What scandal involved Thelma Todd?
6. Why and how were many politicians against the movie industry?
7. Why was the introduction of talkies significant?
8. Describe the protests for the invasion of privacy.
9. What role does suicide seem to play in the film industry and Hollywood?
10. Who was Bugsy Siegel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of obscenity and the courts taking control over the Astor-Thorpe scandal? What was the result of obscenity laws?
Essay Topic 2
After reading "Hollywood Babylon," in what ways do you think that celebrities are different from 'regular people'? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 3
What involvement did the courts have in Hollywood up to the 1950s? Why is this significant? How has this changed over time?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)