|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who openly despised Chaplin and took every possible shot at him?
2. Who discovered the tell-all journal kept by an actress?
3. Who was the first to hire Joan Barry and put her in films?
4. With whom did Mary Astor have an affair?
5. What did critics see as the beginning of Hopper's end?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joan Barry prepare for her movie roles?
2. How did the religious right react to the film industry, specifically the way different stars behaved?
3. Describe Charlie Chaplin's relationship with Joan Barry.
4. What did Joan Crawford encourage people to do?
5. Describe the protests for the invasion of privacy.
6. Why and how were many politicians against the movie industry?
7. Describe Mae Murray's life and downfall.
8. What role did rumors about sex and specifically homosexuality play in the world of Hollywood gossip?
9. What scandal involved Mae West?
10. What transitions did the Jazz Age include?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the controversy that appeared after "Confidential" came out. How did the gossip rag fare with the Trial of a Hundred Stars? What did this mean for future gossip magazines? What precedent did this trial set?
Essay Topic 2
Old Hollywood seems to be full of tragedy. What do you think is the reason for so much tragedy?
Essay Topic 3
What role did the religious right play in Old Hollywood? Do you think this was appropriate? Why or why not? Do we need a group to police and censor films? Why or why not?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)