|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the court order Chaplin to do about Joan Barry?
2. When was William fox cast out of his own company?
3. How much per week did John Gilbert earn in 1928?
4. Who was most known for unbridled sex appeal?
5. Where did Mae West first become famous?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Francis Farmer.
2. What scandal involved Thelma Todd?
3. What role does suicide seem to play in the film industry and Hollywood?
4. What did Joan Crawford encourage people to do?
5. Why was Hopper so critical of Charlie Chaplin?
6. Who was Lupe Velez?
7. How did the religious right react to the film industry, specifically the way different stars behaved?
8. What was the "Red Tide"?
9. Describe John Gilbert's fall.
10. Describe the "suicide syndrome" of the 1940s.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of obscenity and the courts taking control over the Astor-Thorpe scandal? What was the result of obscenity laws?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the controversy that appeared after "Confidential" came out. How did the gossip rag fare with the Trial of a Hundred Stars? What did this mean for future gossip magazines? What precedent did this trial set?
Essay Topic 3
What impact did the Astor-Thorpe scandal have on obscenity laws? Why was it such a big deal for Old Hollywood?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)