|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Lupe when she killed herself?
2. What casino did Siegel help create?
3. Why was Flynn's case dismissed?
4. What was Frances Farmer dubbed?
5. What were those successful in the talkie industry dubbed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role did rumors about sex and specifically homosexuality play in the world of Hollywood gossip?
2. Describe Mae Murray's life and downfall.
3. Describe the "preservation for American ideals."
4. Who was Bugsy Siegel?
5. Why was Charlie Chaplin such a part of scandalous headlines?
6. Who was Lupe Velez?
7. What role does suicide seem to play in the film industry and Hollywood?
8. Why was the introduction of talkies significant?
9. Describe John Gilbert's fall.
10. What did Joan Crawford encourage people to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was Olive Thomas' death significant to Hollywood's Golden Age?
Essay Topic 2
Why was the term "box office poison" used? Was this term effective in "cleaning up Hollywood"? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is Charlie Chaplin's significance in film history? Describe the scandal in Chaplin's life. If he existed today, would he be able to be a star? Why or why not?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)