Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the studio where Olive Thomas was a star?
2. How much money did Griffith pay extras per day?
3. Who was Mary Mills' mother?
4. What was Lillita's mother's occupation?
5. Who blackmailed Clara Bow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe blackmail as a theme.
2. What scandal revolved around Lana Turner?
3. What mystery is involved with Marilyn Monroe's death?
4. Describe Rudolph Valentino's love life.
5. What did the term "box office poison" mean?
6. Describe the "suicide syndrome" of the 1940s.
7. Who were Hedda Hopper and Louella Parsons?
8. Describe Stroheim's defiance directed toward Hays.
9. What was the "Red Tide"?
10. Who was Billy Bennett?
Essay Topic 1
What was the difference between talkies and silent films during the Jazz Era? What did talkies encourage? What disappeared with silent films? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe "Red Tide." What were the two groups involved in the "Red Hunt"? What were the benefits and downfalls of the "Red Hunt," if any?
Essay Topic 3
Old Hollywood seems to be full of tragedy. What do you think is the reason for so much tragedy?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)