|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Clara Bow had a problem with _____________.
2. What was the name of one of the scandalous headline writers?
3. Which of the following describes both of Valentino's wives?
4. At the time of his second divorce, how much was Chaplin worth?
5. Who did Arbuckle meet in 1913 who cast him in movie roles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the film industry during Griffith's time.
2. How did Ince get shot?
3. What objections did Hays face with the new world of gossip?
4. What was the purpose of Griffith's elephants?
5. Why wasn't there any evidence relating to William Desmond Taylor's death?
6. How did Griffith's "Babylon" break Hollywood standards?
7. What type of movie style did drug use influence? What movie made this style famous?
8. Describe defiance against Hays.
9. How did Arbuckle get his start in movie roles?
10. What convinced some that it was necessary to clean up Hollywood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the scandal revolving around Lana Turner and Johnny Valentine. Why did Valentine die? Was his death justifiable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why was the term "box office poison" used? Was this term effective in "cleaning up Hollywood"? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Old Hollywood seems to be full of tragedy. What do you think is the reason for so much tragedy?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)