|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the elephants supposed to tower over?
2. Players-Lasky was a subsidiary of______________.
3. Who was often referred to as "the original gold digging Ziegfeld girl"?
4. Whom was the party held for that was given by Hearst and attended by Chaplin?
5. Who did Arbuckle meet in 1913 who cast him in movie roles?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Arbuckle get his start in movie roles?
2. Describe the "preservation for American ideals."
3. Why were stars angry about news rags?
4. What types of deaths does Kenneth Anger recount in the final chapter?
5. What scandal involved Mae West?
6. Describe Rudolph Valentino's love life.
7. What type of movie style did drug use influence? What movie made this style famous?
8. What is "Hollywoodammerung"?
9. How did Ince get shot?
10. What did Joan Crawford encourage people to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does suicide play in early Hollywood?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of obscenity and the courts taking control over the Astor-Thorpe scandal? What was the result of obscenity laws?
Essay Topic 3
How has celebrity gossip transformed over the years? How did gossip rags start, and what are they now? Which style is more demeaning for the celebrities they portray? Why?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)