|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Fatty Arbuckle's real first name?
2. How old was Olive Thomas when she killed herself?
3. What was Mary Mills' profession?
4. Hearst was possessive of ______________.
5. Who was the man meant to "clean up" Hollywood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was it possible to clean up Hollywood? Why or why not?
2. How did Ince get shot?
3. How did Arbuckle get his start in movie roles?
4. Why wasn't there any evidence relating to William Desmond Taylor's death?
5. How did Arbuckle begin getting into trouble?
6. Describe Charlie Chaplin's first wife.
7. What was the purpose of Griffith's elephants?
8. What objections did Hays face with the new world of gossip?
9. Describe the film industry during Griffith's time.
10. Describe defiance against Hays.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the difference between talkies and silent films during the Jazz Era? What did talkies encourage? What disappeared with silent films? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe "Red Tide." What were the two groups involved in the "Red Hunt"? What were the benefits and downfalls of the "Red Hunt," if any?
Essay Topic 3
What role does suicide play in early Hollywood?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)