|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was known for over the top film that directly violated Hays purity rules?
2. Players-Lasky was a subsidiary of______________.
3. What was the name of the second scandalous headline writer?
4. In what year did Arbuckle and Rappe meet?
5. What was the official cause of death for Ince?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of movie style did drug use influence? What movie made this style famous?
2. What was the purpose of Griffith's elephants?
3. How did Ince get shot?
4. What objections did Hays face with the new world of gossip?
5. How did Griffith's "Babylon" break Hollywood standards?
6. Who was Peggy Hopkins Joyce?
7. What scandal surrounded Clara Bow?
8. Describe Rudolph Valentino's love life.
9. What was the" Doom Book"?
10. Describe Charlie Chaplin's first wife.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the difference between talkies and silent films during the Jazz Era? What did talkies encourage? What disappeared with silent films? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Murder seems to be a common theme in Old Hollywood. Some celebrities died mysteriously, like Marilyn Monroe, and others like Sharon Tate were obviously murdered. Describe this trend in Hollywood and why you think this occurs.
Essay Topic 3
Why were some politicians against the film industry? How did they display this anger? What does this tell you about both politics and the film industry?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)