|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Lillita and Chaplin meet?
2. What was the name of the second scandalous headline writer?
3. What was Charlie Chaplin's middle name?
4. Who was known for over the top film that directly violated Hays purity rules?
5. How old was Chaplin's first wife when they met?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was it possible to clean up Hollywood? Why or why not?
2. Who was Peggy Hopkins Joyce?
3. How did Arbuckle begin getting into trouble?
4. How did Griffith's "Babylon" break Hollywood standards?
5. Describe blackmail as a theme.
6. What convinced some that it was necessary to clean up Hollywood?
7. What was considered the first big scandal in Hollywood?
8. Why wasn't there any evidence relating to William Desmond Taylor's death?
9. Describe the film industry during Griffith's time.
10. Who were Hedda Hopper and Louella Parsons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was Olive Thomas' death significant to Hollywood's Golden Age?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the controversy that appeared after "Confidential" came out. How did the gossip rag fare with the Trial of a Hundred Stars? What did this mean for future gossip magazines? What precedent did this trial set?
Essay Topic 3
What role did the religious right play in Old Hollywood? Do you think this was appropriate? Why or why not? Do we need a group to police and censor films? Why or why not?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)