|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before 1913, for whom was Arbuckle an assistant?
2. Which film was inspired by Chaplin's girlfriend Peggy?
3. In the early film industry, what inspired a manic film style?
4. What did Lillita change her name to?
5. How much money did Clara Bow pay after having an affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were Hedda Hopper and Louella Parsons?
2. How did Griffith's "Babylon" break Hollywood standards?
3. Why and how was Charlie Chaplin almost ruined?
4. What was the purpose of Griffith's elephants?
5. What objections did Hays face with the new world of gossip?
6. What scandal surrounded Clara Bow?
7. Who was Peggy Hopkins Joyce?
8. Was it possible to clean up Hollywood? Why or why not?
9. Describe defiance against Hays.
10. How did Ince get shot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Hollywood's Golden Age to modern Hollywood. Consider the caliber of celebrities, how celebrities are portrayed, and how drug culture influences the film industry.
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, is the amount of talent possessed by stars more or less than it was in the early years of Hollywood? Why? Give at least 3 specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Describe "Red Tide." What were the two groups involved in the "Red Hunt"? What were the benefits and downfalls of the "Red Hunt," if any?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)