|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Chaplin's nationality?
2. Players-Lasky was a subsidiary of______________.
3. What was Mary Mills' profession?
4. When did Griffith's extravagant court come together?
5. Who blackmailed Clara Bow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the term "box office poison" mean?
2. Describe blackmail as a theme.
3. What was considered the first big scandal in Hollywood?
4. Why wasn't there any evidence relating to William Desmond Taylor's death?
5. Describe the "preservation for American ideals."
6. Was it possible to clean up Hollywood? Why or why not?
7. Describe Robert Mitchum's career after he was in jail.
8. Who was Bugsy Siegel?
9. What types of deaths does Kenneth Anger recount in the final chapter?
10. What role does suicide seem to play in the film industry and Hollywood?
Essay Topic 1
Why was Olive Thomas' death significant to Hollywood's Golden Age?
Essay Topic 2
Why was the term "box office poison" used? Was this term effective in "cleaning up Hollywood"? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How has celebrity gossip transformed over the years? How did gossip rags start, and what are they now? Which style is more demeaning for the celebrities they portray? Why?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)