|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the time of his second divorce, how much was Chaplin worth?
2. What caused Valentino's death?
3. Who found William Desmond Taylor's body?
4. At what age did Arbuckle die?
5. How old was Lillita when she first met Chaplin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ince get shot?
2. Why and how was Charlie Chaplin almost ruined?
3. How did Arbuckle get his start in movie roles?
4. Describe Charlie Chaplin's relationship with Lillita McMurray.
5. What was the purpose of Griffith's elephants?
6. Describe defiance against Hays.
7. What objections did Hays face with the new world of gossip?
8. Who was Peggy Hopkins Joyce?
9. Was scandal more prominent in the Golden Age of Hollywood or in modern Hollywood? Why do you think so?
10. Who were Hedda Hopper and Louella Parsons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does suicide play in early Hollywood?
Essay Topic 2
After reading "Hollywood Babylon," in what ways do you think that celebrities are different from 'regular people'? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 3
Old Hollywood seems to be full of tragedy. What do you think is the reason for so much tragedy?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)