|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Arbuckle meet in 1913 who cast him in movie roles?
2. Which reason did Olive Thomas have for killing herself?
3. What was the official cause of death for Ince?
4. What was Lillita's mother's occupation?
5. How old was Barbara La Marr when she died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the" Doom Book"?
2. How did Arbuckle begin getting into trouble?
3. Why wasn't there any evidence relating to William Desmond Taylor's death?
4. What objections did Hays face with the new world of gossip?
5. Describe blackmail as a theme.
6. Why and how was Charlie Chaplin almost ruined?
7. What type of movie style did drug use influence? What movie made this style famous?
8. What was considered the first big scandal in Hollywood?
9. Who were Hedda Hopper and Louella Parsons?
10. Describe Charlie Chaplin's relationship with Lillita McMurray.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has celebrity gossip transformed over the years? How did gossip rags start, and what are they now? Which style is more demeaning for the celebrities they portray? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the controversy that appeared after "Confidential" came out. How did the gossip rag fare with the Trial of a Hundred Stars? What did this mean for future gossip magazines? What precedent did this trial set?
Essay Topic 3
Why was Olive Thomas' death significant to Hollywood's Golden Age?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)