|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did Clara Bow pay after having an affair?
2. What was referred to as "joy powder"?
3. When did Griffith's extravagant court come together?
4. Who was the man meant to "clean up" Hollywood?
5. What was the nickname of the main drug dealer in Hollywood in "Heroin Heroines"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Arbuckle begin getting into trouble?
2. Describe blackmail as a theme.
3. What scandal surrounded Clara Bow?
4. Describe the film industry during Griffith's time.
5. What objections did Hays face with the new world of gossip?
6. What was the" Doom Book"?
7. Describe Rudolph Valentino's love life.
8. What was the purpose of Griffith's elephants?
9. Describe defiance against Hays.
10. Who was Peggy Hopkins Joyce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did the religious right play in Old Hollywood? Do you think this was appropriate? Why or why not? Do we need a group to police and censor films? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Old Hollywood seems to be full of tragedy. What do you think is the reason for so much tragedy?
Essay Topic 3
Describe "Red Tide." What were the two groups involved in the "Red Hunt"? What were the benefits and downfalls of the "Red Hunt," if any?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)