|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many names were in the Doom Book?
2. Where was Olive Thomas found dead?
3. What was Chaplin's girlfriend Peggy's last name?
4. Whom was the party held for that was given by Hearst and attended by Chaplin?
5. How much money did Clara Bow pay after having an affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Peggy Hopkins Joyce?
2. What was the" Doom Book"?
3. Describe blackmail as a theme.
4. How did Arbuckle begin getting into trouble?
5. Describe defiance against Hays.
6. What scandal surrounded Clara Bow?
7. What was the purpose of Griffith's elephants?
8. Why and how was Charlie Chaplin almost ruined?
9. How did Griffith's "Babylon" break Hollywood standards?
10. Was it possible to clean up Hollywood? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the controversy that appeared after "Confidential" came out. How did the gossip rag fare with the Trial of a Hundred Stars? What did this mean for future gossip magazines? What precedent did this trial set?
Essay Topic 2
What was the difference between talkies and silent films during the Jazz Era? What did talkies encourage? What disappeared with silent films? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How has celebrity gossip transformed over the years? How did gossip rags start, and what are they now? Which style is more demeaning for the celebrities they portray? Why?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)