|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Lita when she announced her pregnancy?
2. How old was Barbara La Marr when she died?
3. What was the name of Olive Thomas's husband?
4. Who was known for over the top film that directly violated Hays purity rules?
5. Where did Arbuckle and Rappe meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were Hedda Hopper and Louella Parsons?
2. Was it possible to clean up Hollywood? Why or why not?
3. Describe Charlie Chaplin's first wife.
4. What scandal surrounded Clara Bow?
5. What type of movie style did drug use influence? What movie made this style famous?
6. Describe blackmail as a theme.
7. Why and how was Charlie Chaplin almost ruined?
8. What was the purpose of Griffith's elephants?
9. Describe Stroheim's defiance directed toward Hays.
10. How did Arbuckle begin getting into trouble?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After reading "Hollywood Babylon," in what ways do you think that celebrities are different from 'regular people'? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 2
Old Hollywood seems to be full of tragedy. What do you think is the reason for so much tragedy?
Essay Topic 3
In your opinion, is the amount of talent possessed by stars more or less than it was in the early years of Hollywood? Why? Give at least 3 specific examples.
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)