|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was known for over the top film that directly violated Hays purity rules?
2. Whom was the party held for that was given by Hearst and attended by Chaplin?
3. Players-Lasky was a subsidiary of______________.
4. Who was dubbed the "Hottest Jazz Baby in Films"?
5. Who blackmailed Clara Bow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wasn't there any evidence relating to William Desmond Taylor's death?
2. What convinced some that it was necessary to clean up Hollywood?
3. Who were Hedda Hopper and Louella Parsons?
4. Describe Charlie Chaplin's first wife.
5. Describe Charlie Chaplin's relationship with Lillita McMurray.
6. How did Arbuckle begin getting into trouble?
7. What was considered the first big scandal in Hollywood?
8. Describe the film industry during Griffith's time.
9. Was scandal more prominent in the Golden Age of Hollywood or in modern Hollywood? Why do you think so?
10. Describe blackmail as a theme.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze three different stars and their personal lives. How does each of these stars have a life that corresponds to film?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the controversy that appeared after "Confidential" came out. How did the gossip rag fare with the Trial of a Hundred Stars? What did this mean for future gossip magazines? What precedent did this trial set?
Essay Topic 3
Describe "Red Tide." What were the two groups involved in the "Red Hunt"? What were the benefits and downfalls of the "Red Hunt," if any?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)