|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many extras were required for Griffith's Babylon?
2. Who did Arbuckle meet in 1913 who cast him in movie roles?
3. Players-Lasky was a subsidiary of______________.
4. How old was Barbara La Marr when she died?
5. Who was often conversing with "nymphets"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the" Doom Book"?
2. Describe defiance against Hays.
3. Describe Charlie Chaplin's relationship with Lillita McMurray.
4. How did Griffith's "Babylon" break Hollywood standards?
5. Why and how was Charlie Chaplin almost ruined?
6. Describe Stroheim's defiance directed toward Hays.
7. What was the purpose of Griffith's elephants?
8. What convinced some that it was necessary to clean up Hollywood?
9. Describe Charlie Chaplin's first wife.
10. Who was Peggy Hopkins Joyce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did the religious right play in Old Hollywood? Do you think this was appropriate? Why or why not? Do we need a group to police and censor films? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What was the difference between talkies and silent films during the Jazz Era? What did talkies encourage? What disappeared with silent films? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of obscenity and the courts taking control over the Astor-Thorpe scandal? What was the result of obscenity laws?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)