|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was devoted to showing film as art?
2. Who was dubbed the "Hottest Jazz Baby in Films"?
3. When did Griffith's extravagant court come together?
4. "The Purple Dawn" begins with the creation of the set for which feast?
5. Whom was the party held for that was given by Hearst and attended by Chaplin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What convinced some that it was necessary to clean up Hollywood?
2. Was it possible to clean up Hollywood? Why or why not?
3. Describe Charlie Chaplin's relationship with Lillita McMurray.
4. How did Arbuckle get his start in movie roles?
5. What was the" Doom Book"?
6. Was scandal more prominent in the Golden Age of Hollywood or in modern Hollywood? Why do you think so?
7. Describe Charlie Chaplin's first wife.
8. What objections did Hays face with the new world of gossip?
9. Who was Peggy Hopkins Joyce?
10. Describe the film industry during Griffith's time.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has celebrity gossip transformed over the years? How did gossip rags start, and what are they now? Which style is more demeaning for the celebrities they portray? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What is Charlie Chaplin's significance in film history? Describe the scandal in Chaplin's life. If he existed today, would he be able to be a star? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of obscenity and the courts taking control over the Astor-Thorpe scandal? What was the result of obscenity laws?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)