|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was dubbed "King of Paramount"?
2. What did Lillita change her name to?
3. What was Chaplin's nationality?
4. What was Chaplin's girlfriend Peggy's last name?
5. How many witnesses were there at Hearst's trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was considered the first big scandal in Hollywood?
2. Why and how was Charlie Chaplin almost ruined?
3. What was the" Doom Book"?
4. Why wasn't there any evidence relating to William Desmond Taylor's death?
5. Who were Hedda Hopper and Louella Parsons?
6. Who was Peggy Hopkins Joyce?
7. What scandal surrounded Clara Bow?
8. Describe Charlie Chaplin's first wife.
9. How did Ince get shot?
10. What convinced some that it was necessary to clean up Hollywood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did the religious right play in Old Hollywood? Do you think this was appropriate? Why or why not? Do we need a group to police and censor films? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of obscenity and the courts taking control over the Astor-Thorpe scandal? What was the result of obscenity laws?
Essay Topic 3
Describe "Red Tide." What were the two groups involved in the "Red Hunt"? What were the benefits and downfalls of the "Red Hunt," if any?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)