|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many husbands did Peggy have?
2. Who was Chaplin's first wife?
3. What did Lillita change her name to?
4. Who found William Desmond Taylor's body?
5. Who was often referred to as "the original gold digging Ziegfeld girl"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Peggy Hopkins Joyce?
2. How did Arbuckle get his start in movie roles?
3. How did Ince get shot?
4. What scandal surrounded Clara Bow?
5. Was it possible to clean up Hollywood? Why or why not?
6. Who were Hedda Hopper and Louella Parsons?
7. Describe Charlie Chaplin's relationship with Lillita McMurray.
8. Why and how was Charlie Chaplin almost ruined?
9. Why wasn't there any evidence relating to William Desmond Taylor's death?
10. Was scandal more prominent in the Golden Age of Hollywood or in modern Hollywood? Why do you think so?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has celebrity gossip transformed over the years? How did gossip rags start, and what are they now? Which style is more demeaning for the celebrities they portray? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Old Hollywood seems to be full of tragedy. What do you think is the reason for so much tragedy?
Essay Topic 3
What role did the religious right play in Old Hollywood? Do you think this was appropriate? Why or why not? Do we need a group to police and censor films? Why or why not?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)