|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following describes both of Valentino's wives?
2. At the time of his second divorce, how much was Chaplin worth?
3. Who was dubbed "King of Paramount"?
4. What was Olive Thomas clutching when she was found dead?
5. What was Lillita's mother's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What convinced some that it was necessary to clean up Hollywood?
2. Was scandal more prominent in the Golden Age of Hollywood or in modern Hollywood? Why do you think so?
3. Describe Stroheim's defiance directed toward Hays.
4. Why and how was Charlie Chaplin almost ruined?
5. How did Arbuckle begin getting into trouble?
6. How did Arbuckle get his start in movie roles?
7. What scandal surrounded Clara Bow?
8. Describe the film industry during Griffith's time.
9. What was the" Doom Book"?
10. Why wasn't there any evidence relating to William Desmond Taylor's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After reading "Hollywood Babylon," in what ways do you think that celebrities are different from 'regular people'? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 2
Murder seems to be a common theme in Old Hollywood. Some celebrities died mysteriously, like Marilyn Monroe, and others like Sharon Tate were obviously murdered. Describe this trend in Hollywood and why you think this occurs.
Essay Topic 3
Why was the term "box office poison" used? Was this term effective in "cleaning up Hollywood"? Why or why not?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)