|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Chaplin's girlfriend Peggy's last name?
2. How old was Lita when she announced her pregnancy?
3. Clara Bow had a problem with _____________.
4. In what year did Arbuckle and Rappe meet?
5. In the early film industry, what inspired a manic film style?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why and how was Charlie Chaplin almost ruined?
2. What was considered the first big scandal in Hollywood?
3. Who was Peggy Hopkins Joyce?
4. Describe Charlie Chaplin's relationship with Lillita McMurray.
5. How did Ince get shot?
6. Describe Rudolph Valentino's love life.
7. Describe the film industry during Griffith's time.
8. What scandal surrounded Clara Bow?
9. Was it possible to clean up Hollywood? Why or why not?
10. Was scandal more prominent in the Golden Age of Hollywood or in modern Hollywood? Why do you think so?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the controversy that appeared after "Confidential" came out. How did the gossip rag fare with the Trial of a Hundred Stars? What did this mean for future gossip magazines? What precedent did this trial set?
Essay Topic 2
Why was the term "box office poison" used? Was this term effective in "cleaning up Hollywood"? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What involvement did the courts have in Hollywood up to the 1950s? Why is this significant? How has this changed over time?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)