|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was referred to as "joy powder"?
2. What did Lillita change her name to?
3. What was Mary Mills' profession?
4. Players-Lasky was a subsidiary of______________.
5. What was the name of one of the scandalous headline writers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Griffith's "Babylon" break Hollywood standards?
2. Who was Peggy Hopkins Joyce?
3. How did Arbuckle begin getting into trouble?
4. Why and how was Charlie Chaplin almost ruined?
5. Was scandal more prominent in the Golden Age of Hollywood or in modern Hollywood? Why do you think so?
6. What objections did Hays face with the new world of gossip?
7. Who were Hedda Hopper and Louella Parsons?
8. What convinced some that it was necessary to clean up Hollywood?
9. Describe Charlie Chaplin's first wife.
10. Describe Rudolph Valentino's love life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Old Hollywood seems to be full of tragedy. What do you think is the reason for so much tragedy?
Essay Topic 2
What role did the religious right play in Old Hollywood? Do you think this was appropriate? Why or why not? Do we need a group to police and censor films? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the scandal revolving around Lana Turner and Johnny Valentine. Why did Valentine die? Was his death justifiable? Why or why not?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)