|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hearst was possessive of ______________.
2. What was Lillita's mother's occupation?
3. What was Olive Thomas clutching when she was found dead?
4. What did Lillita change her name to?
5. "The Purple Dawn" begins with the creation of the set for which feast?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Arbuckle begin getting into trouble?
2. How did Arbuckle get his start in movie roles?
3. What convinced some that it was necessary to clean up Hollywood?
4. Describe defiance against Hays.
5. How did Ince get shot?
6. Was scandal more prominent in the Golden Age of Hollywood or in modern Hollywood? Why do you think so?
7. What was the purpose of Griffith's elephants?
8. Was it possible to clean up Hollywood? Why or why not?
9. Who were Hedda Hopper and Louella Parsons?
10. Describe blackmail as a theme.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact did the Astor-Thorpe scandal have on obscenity laws? Why was it such a big deal for Old Hollywood?
Essay Topic 2
After reading "Hollywood Babylon," in what ways do you think that celebrities are different from 'regular people'? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 3
Why was the term "box office poison" used? Was this term effective in "cleaning up Hollywood"? Why or why not?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)