|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of actors were labeled "Box Office Poison"?
(a) Pious and righteous.
(b) Difficult and obscene.
(c) Fake and gimmicky.
(d) Moral and delusional.
2. What is the title called in reference to Thelma Todd?
(a) "Death End."
(b) "Death Trap."
(c) "Death Garage."
(d) "Death Swamp."
3. What did Flynn claim his involvement was in his case?
(a) He had been drugged and couldn't remember if he had done it or not.
(b) He didn't know anything about it.
(c) He did rape the girls but had paid them to cover it up.
(d) He knew the accusers but only briefly.
4. What was Mae Murray's husband's name?
(a) Prince Gerdavani.
(b) Prince Geraldo.
(c) Prince Mdivani.
(d) Prince Ndino.
5. What eventually happened to Frances Farmer?
(a) She killed a police officer.
(b) Her mother committed her.
(c) She was killed.
(d) She committed suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Barry threaten Chaplin with?
2. When did Weismuller and Velez's wedding end?
3. Which company took a chance on Mae West first?
4. How was Chaplin proven innocent of paternity?
5. What did critics see as the beginning of Hopper's end?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the term "box office poison" mean?
2. What was the Astor-Thorpe scandal?
3. Describe the "suicide syndrome" of the 1940s.
4. Describe Charlie Chaplin's relationship with Joan Barry.
5. Why was Charlie Chaplin such a part of scandalous headlines?
6. What scandal involved Thelma Todd?
7. Why and how were many politicians against the movie industry?
8. Describe John Gilbert's fall.
9. What did Joan Crawford encourage people to do?
10. Why was Hopper so critical of Charlie Chaplin?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)