|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Mae West's first silver screen appearance?
(a) "Midnight After Noon."
(b) "Morning After Morning."
(c) "Night After Night."
(d) "Day After Day."
2. How many abortions did Joan Barry undergo while preparing for a new role?
3. What was Frances Farmer dubbed?
(a) The Next West.
(b) The Next Davies.
(c) The Next Garbo.
(d) The Next Rogers.
4. Who was the first to hire Joan Barry and put her in films?
5. When was William fox cast out of his own company?
Short Answer Questions
1. What were those successful in the talkie industry dubbed?
2. Describe Joan Barry's acting work as described in the reading.
3. Which actress was branded as being difficult?
4. What did critics see as the beginning of Hopper's end?
5. What does "Red Tide" refer to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the "suicide syndrome" of the 1940s.
2. Why was Charlie Chaplin such a part of scandalous headlines?
3. What was the "Red Tide"?
4. Who was Lupe Velez?
5. Describe Charlie Chaplin's relationship with Joan Barry.
6. What role did rumors about sex and specifically homosexuality play in the world of Hollywood gossip?
7. Describe John Gilbert's fall.
8. What was the Astor-Thorpe scandal?
9. Who was Bugsy Siegel?
10. Describe the "preservation for American ideals."
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)