|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Merlin reveal has the gift of sight?
2. Who protests the declaration of the King's heir from Luguvallium?
3. When does Lot plan to marry Morgian?
4. What does Arthur complain to Merlin about being in the castle?
5. Who challenges Uther's decision of who his heir will be?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Uther make the announcement during the feast that Arthur is his heir to the throne?
2. What does Lot's marriage to Uther's daughter, Morgian, mean for the kingdom and Arthur?
3. Why is Arthur disturbed to hear that Merlin has taken a vow of chastity?
4. What challenges does Lot raise against Uther's proclamation that Arthur is his heir? What do his challenges cause?
5. What does Arthur's child with Morgause symbolize? What does it mean for his kingdom? What does Merlin do?
6. Why does Cador come to visit Merlin in the forest while Arthur is in Bilis' cave? How does he approach Merlin?
7. Why does Arthur's absence from their double room bother Merlin? What does Merlin see in a vision?
8. What leads Arthur to ask about Merlin's true identity? Learning this, does Arthur know who he is?
9. Why does the sentry allow Arthur to be taken from he and Merlin's double room? Who does Arthur leave with?
10. Who is it that speaks to Uther's sword and Arthur's rightful sword? What impact does this have on Arthur and the other lords?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Merlin has visions and prophecies throughout the story about Arthur and those around him. How do these visions shape the actions of the characters? Give one example of a vision that came true and an example of one that did not. Which are more significant?
Essay Topic 2
Why is it necessary for Arthur to learn his true heritage when Merlin shares this vital information with Arthur? What impact does it have on Arthur?
Essay Topic 3
Merlin picks and chooses when to reveal his true identity while Arthur is growing up. What does he gain with each approach? Give specific examples of each.
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)