|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Arthur during the "Black Year"?
2. Who ensures that the king and Arthur rest before the feast?
3. What does Arthur complain to Merlin about being in the castle?
4. Where does Uther plan to lead battle, despite his illness?
5. Who does Cador hold captive when he approaches Merlin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Merlin tell Morgause about her plan and his prophecy for her and her child?
2. Why does the sentry allow Arthur to be taken from he and Merlin's double room? Who does Arthur leave with?
3. What role does Lot play in the battle against Colgrim? Why?
4. What is the significance of Morgause entering the makeshift hospital where Merlin and Arthur are?
5. What challenges does Lot raise against Uther's proclamation that Arthur is his heir? What do his challenges cause?
6. What do the lords and commoners find when they reach the Perilous Chapel?
7. Why is Arthur disturbed to hear that Merlin has taken a vow of chastity?
8. What trap is set for Merlin as he rides to the Perilous Chapel? Who saves him?
9. Why does Arthur's absence from their double room bother Merlin? What does Merlin see in a vision?
10. What do Uther and Merlin discuss during their meeting after the battle with Colgrim? What does Merlin perceive about Uther and his questions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the battle against Colgrim, it is clear that Arthur has a significant amount of backing as Uther's heir. But, even as Merlin leaves Uther certain of the succession, he is uneasy. Why? What concerns are still present?
Essay Topic 2
Merlin has visions and prophecies throughout the story about Arthur and those around him. How do these visions shape the actions of the characters? Give one example of a vision that came true and an example of one that did not. Which are more significant?
Essay Topic 3
How does Merlin rationalize Morgause's girl coming for Arthur the night after the battle has ended? Why? What ripple effect does Merlin's rationalization have?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)