|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Morgause plan to wait for her sister to marry Lot?
2. What does Merlin share with Arthur when Arthur returns to their room in Part 4, Chapter 5?
3. Who does Arthur ask Merlin to send a message to in Part 4, Chapter 7?
4. Who is named as a suspect in breaking Uther's sword?
5. How many lamps does Merlin light on the chapel altar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lot of Lothian protest Uther declaring his heir at Luguvallium? What are his true motives behind the protests?
2. What reality hits Arthur as he finds out that he is Uther's son and Uther is, in fact, dying?
3. What challenges does Lot raise against Uther's proclamation that Arthur is his heir? What do his challenges cause?
4. What does Lot's marriage to Uther's daughter, Morgian, mean for the kingdom and Arthur?
5. Why are Merlin and Arthur called to Uther's side on the battlefield immediately after Arthur tries to give Merlin Macsen's sword?
6. What impact has the battle with Colgrim had on Uther's standings in the kingdom?
7. Why is Arthur disturbed to hear that Merlin has taken a vow of chastity?
8. Why does the sentry allow Arthur to be taken from he and Merlin's double room? Who does Arthur leave with?
9. Why does Merlin leave immediately after the feast? What warning does Ralf give him?
10. Why does Cador come to visit Merlin in the forest while Arthur is in Bilis' cave? How does he approach Merlin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Merlin have difficulty reconciling the visions he has of Arthur with Macsen's sword? He knows that the sword will be Arthur's, so why is there a problem?
Essay Topic 2
Merlin has visions and prophecies throughout the story about Arthur and those around him. How do these visions shape the actions of the characters? Give one example of a vision that came true and an example of one that did not. Which are more significant?
Essay Topic 3
There are two purposes behind Merlin's fanciful story of Arthur's birth to the young goat herd. What are they? Describe in your answer which one is an important piece of Arthur's rise and which one describes Merlin's character.
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)