|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Uther suggest Arthur be taken once born?
2. What does Uther reveal to Merlin about his injury?
3. What does Merlin first intend to do with the holy man's chapel, but then changes his mind?
4. Why does Merlin feel that he still cannot spend time in one place nor give any information on Arthur?
5. Who accompanies Merlin after he takes Arthur from the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Merlin come to know the Old Ones in the forest?
2. Moravik has a unique perspective of Merlin. What is it and why does she feel the way she does about him?
3. What question does Bedwyr raise while at the chapel with Arthur and Merlin that others have not asked? How does Arthur respond?
4. Merlin asks the messenger to give him all the information he has on the world outside of Merlin's cave. He tells him about the war and the invading Saxons. What significance does this play to the story?
5. Why does the hermit at the Chapel of the Green feel comfortable telling Merlin about the story of Macsen's sword?
6. Why does Merlin seek out the holy man in the forest chapel?
7. Why does Merlin spend so much time traveling all over Europe? Where does he go? How long is he gone?
8. What does the term "Flood Year" refer to? Why is it important to the story?
9. Merlin admits to the reader for the first time since the story began that he is apprehensive about meeting with the queen. Why?
10. What does Ralf tell Merlin about the riders who attacked him on his way to Merlin's to deliver a letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What evidence is there that the characters who participated in bringing Uther and Ygraine together the night of Arthur's conception are more closely connected than any of them first realize?
Essay Topic 2
There are two purposes behind Merlin's fanciful story of Arthur's birth to the young goat herd. What are they? Describe in your answer which one is an important piece of Arthur's rise and which one describes Merlin's character.
Essay Topic 3
Why is it necessary for Arthur to learn his true heritage when Merlin shares this vital information with Arthur? What impact does it have on Arthur?
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)