|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what night is Arthur given to Merlin?
2. What does Merlin first intend to do with the holy man's chapel, but then changes his mind?
3. Where does Uther suggest Arthur be taken once born?
4. Who does Merlin meet in the settlement where he stops to get his horse re-shod?
5. What marks the boundary of Hoel's kingdom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Arthur finally meet Merlin? How does Merlin recognize the boy?
2. How does Merlin realize that the king's soldiers are closer than he thought? What does he plan to tell the soldiers when he and Ralf are found?
3. What saves Merlin and company while they are traveling through the Perilous Forest? How? Does the author lead the reader to believe that this is an ordinary occurrence?
4. What does Ector tell Merlin of the other royal families in the area? Why are their activities important?
5. Why does Merlin plan to take over the Chapel of the Green himself after the old hermit dies?
6. Merlin asks the messenger to give him all the information he has on the world outside of Merlin's cave. He tells him about the war and the invading Saxons. What significance does this play to the story?
7. What plan do Merlin and Ygraine develop for Arthur after his birth? Why?
8. How does Merlin come to know the Old Ones in the forest?
9. Why does the hermit at the Chapel of the Green feel comfortable telling Merlin about the story of Macsen's sword?
10. What dream does Merlin have while traveling to the glass blower's hut in the forest? What is its significance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Merlin rationalize Morgause's girl coming for Arthur the night after the battle has ended? Why? What ripple effect does Merlin's rationalization have?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Merlin's impressions of Arthur. How do his descriptions of Arthur evolve throughout the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is the truth behind the injury Uther received during a skirmish with the Saxons? Why has it made Uther question his future and Arthur?
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)